• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Showcase and Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KillerMapper

Helix Follower
Years
It looks fine, I'm not a big fan of aligned trees like this but I guess it's a matter of opinions.

About water, depends of the area and its surroundings. Is it a rainy area? Is there somethings in the area's relief which would stuck the water here (not necessary cliffs/mountains, the ledge is an expression of a slope too)? Do you want players to get some water pokémon in the grass (where a pound could justify their presence), or use a rod they could have get before?

Inky

:pleading_face:
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen today
It looks fine, I'm not a big fan of aligned trees like this but I guess it's a matter of opinions.

About water, depends of the area and its surroundings. Is it a rainy area? Is there somethings in the area's relief which would stuck the water here (not necessary cliffs/mountains, the ledge is an expression of a slope too)? Do you want players to get some water pokémon in the grass (where a pound could justify their presence), or use a rod they could have get before?
The real Pokémon maps align the trees and I try to emulate that style to a certain extent.

This part of the region is meant to be around a kind of woodland-y area, so a small pond or stream or something. Just something to break up the green, although I am going to vary up some of the tree colours too.

Years
I haven't posted anything in the Game Dev section for a good six years. Here's something from a project that's currently on pause, but that I'd like to eventually resume. It's from an early state of the game.

hw-interior.png

Last edited:

Spira

Programmer for Pokemon Eternity
Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2023
Huge oriental city. One of many different styles we want to implement.

It's an older map, but just now getting to implementing it. Only a minor tile issue is the grass for the cliffs, just need to make a dirt one and update it.

Here are a few screenshots.
GlsKTHj.png

t9OQTBK.png

8y1C58V.png

qXvPDd5.png

Years
Huge oriental city. One of many different styles we want to implement.

It's an older map, but just now getting to implementing it. Only a minor tile issue is the grass for the cliffs, just need to make a dirt one and update it.
Here are a few screenshots.

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Ok I just want to contribute and I'm a noob at this so you don't have to take it seriously. So in the third image there are some ledges which I think they don't fit it's like it just doesn't fit there. Also the trees I don't know but I'll be honest and say that those trees are really pointy, woudn't it be better to make them less pointy at the top? The houses are awesome I would like to have that type of skill in creating houses tiles it totally fits the oriental. I would actually want the trees to match like the colors of the houses like brown(like in the fall) but that would be too much of that kind of color. Now I wish I helped and that I wasn't any harsh.

Wootius

Glah
Years
  • Seen May 31, 2022
I haven't posted anything in the Game Dev section for a good six years. Here's something from a project that's currently on pause, but that I'd like to eventually resume. It's from an early state of the game.

hw-interior.png

Looks Mother-ish?

I like the tiles, but given the players size it feels like the hallway is one too wide.

Years
It was my primary inspiration, so they look rather similar because of that. As for the hallway size, you're probably right about it being too wide. I think the walls might also a bit too high.

Years
It was my primary inspiration, so they look rather similar because of that. As for the hallway size, you're probably right about it being too wide. I think the walls might also a bit too high.

So are you going to either change the character's size or the tiles/room size?

Spira

Programmer for Pokemon Eternity
Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2023
[/SPOILER]
Ok I just want to contribute and I'm a noob at this so you don't have to take it seriously. So in the third image there are some ledges which I think they don't fit it's like it just doesn't fit there. Also the trees I don't know but I'll be honest and say that those trees are really pointy, woudn't it be better to make them less pointy at the top? The houses are awesome I would like to have that type of skill in creating houses tiles it totally fits the oriental. I would actually want the trees to match like the colors of the houses like brown(like in the fall) but that would be too much of that kind of color. Now I wish I helped and that I wasn't any harsh.

No worries, we appreciate the input from anyone. :)

This map can still be improved for sure, I'm not sure about the ledge thing, but it's more to create variation in the landscape; the trees I agree don't fit as much. They look more like pine trees, very pointy. We will test many different trees, but it's hard to find something that fits in that oriental theme.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Still trying to polish up the first part of the first dungeon players should encounter in my game.

Spoiler:

I'm trying to think about possible improvements to the visuals after finishing the unshaded upper cliff edges...

(The right turn will lead to the second part of the dungeon.)

Also completely redid the world map's look with regard to the ocean and mountains, now targeting a much larger world size (256x256 tiles), this is just a small segment.

Planning to make a playable demo once I get the first few maps done and the game is functionally complete.

Spoiler:

Years
Hello everybody Jefries here. So I'm creating a Pokemon game and while doing the houses I see that the tileset I have doesn't like let me show difference between some houses. I'm using a fourth gen tileset which I added stuff from another tileset and the amount of stuff for the inside of the houses seems lacking. So since I have a little of skill in pixel art I would like to ask you guys what do you think that should be added to a house. This is like asking for things that I could create for the inside of the houses. I was also going to ask for things to create for a town but some reasons stopped me from doing that.

Here is the inside of one of the houses for my game.

Now it's my turn to share a map this here is the first town of my game New Wind Town. My game doesn't have a real place to connect to yet so it might maybe change. The river is going to go all the way to a forest and it is just a part of the tileset so I have to turn it into a autotile(If you have like that tile for the river as autotile I need it, please)
So here is the screenshot:

Attachments

• H1.png
    H1.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 58
  • New Wind Town2.png
    New Wind Town2.png
    100.2 KB · Views: 68
Last edited by a moderator:

elynxer

Sworedyz
Years
@Jefries
New Wind town looks nice; the graphics are good. If I were to try to improve it, I would consider two things:
1) Linking this map to another route on another side, so the player travels through here again. (assuming they need to come back to the town at some point). Red/Blue did this, Gold/Silver with new Bark Town, and Super Metroid utilized loops creatively... To enhance traveling around the game.

2) The Town has somewhat of an unnatural, boxy look. Nature doesn't tend to have very many straight lines. I'd recommend breaking it up a little bit.

I think that the hills are overall a good idea (more interesting than a flat, leveled town and I also like the transition between the houses on the left. You have to go up a second hill to get to them.

Years
@Jefries
New Wind town looks nice; the graphics are good. If I were to try to improve it, I would consider two things:
1) Linking this map to another route on another side, so the player travels through here again. (assuming they need to come back to the town at some point). Red/Blue did this, Gold/Silver with new Bark Town, and Super Metroid utilized loops creatively... To enhance traveling around the game.

2) The Town has somewhat of an unnatural, boxy look. Nature doesn't tend to have very many straight lines. I'd recommend breaking it up a little bit.

I think that the hills are overall a good idea (more interesting than a flat, leveled town and I also like the transition between the houses on the left. You have to go up a second hill to get to them.
I still don't know about that of linking it to a second route but if I do I'll probably will have to do it by the river so I moved the rocks a little. I also changed the boxy look making it look more random.

Attachments

• New Wind Town2.png
    New Wind Town2.png
    154.9 KB · Views: 51
Years
@Jefries I really like the map! Espcially the way you mapped the trees. I would personally change the water tiles back to your last version of the town, since I think they give a more natural look, but great job on the map!

xThatOneGuy(not active here) has made a route map for a game we work on together(which is still in progress and not yet on PokeCommunity) and we'd like to know what we could improve on the map.

The route is the connection between a big city built on rocks and the main mountain of the game.
Any feedback is welcome!

Attachments

• Route 5.png
    Route 5.png
    214.8 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Years
I really like the layout of the map, but I feel the stairs and the bridge are a bit off - maybe don't put rocks in front of the stairs...

I am guessing you can go under the trees otherwise there is no escape passed the police officer?

Over all I like it c:

Town_zpsshdyffxt.png

Years
Thanks for the nice feedback! I certainly see what you meant there with the stairs and bridge.

I think your map has a lot of potential, a village surrounded by rocks, really nice! but some space seems kind of empty and the ledge the blue house and i'm guessing a lab are on is not correctly designed, it kind of disappeares into the other ledge if you see what i mean. And also shouldnt the waterfall be only 1 tile high?

Other then that awesome map dude :) would really be intrested to see the updated version!

Years
I really like the layout of the map, but I feel the stairs and the bridge are a bit off - maybe don't put rocks in front of the stairs...

I am guessing you can go under the trees otherwise there is no escape passed the police officer?

Over all I like it c:

Town_zpsshdyffxt.png

I think you should try adding more houses as well as to cover some more space. Also the part where the lab and the blue house are you made the the first layer of rocks stop at each side I think you should fix that by making it continue on the front to the bottom so that it connects. I hope you understand what I mean.

Years
I think you should try adding more houses as well as to cover some more space. Also the part where the lab and the blue house are you made the the first layer of rocks stop at each side I think you should fix that by making it continue on the front to the bottom so that it connects. I hope you understand what I mean.

Thanks for the nice feedback! I certainly see what you meant there with the stairs and bridge.

I think your map has a lot of potential, a village surrounded by rocks, really nice! but some space seems kind of empty and the ledge the blue house and i'm guessing a lab are on is not correctly designed, it kind of disappeares into the other ledge if you see what i mean. And also shouldnt the waterfall be only 1 tile high?

Other then that awesome map dude :) would really be intrested to see the updated version!

Thank you both for the feedback <3 I think I know what you guys mean c: I can't wait to update! I am a little confused by the waterfall being one tile high?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back