• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Showcase and Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inky

:pleading_face:
Years
    • he / him
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Oooh, very nice. It's not crammed at all. Looks almost naturalistic and calming. The one criticism I'd have is that it's a bit jarring to see the same amount of dirt around the same spot in-between each patch of grass.

Thanks man! Sorry to be a pain, but could you clarify what you mean? If you mean around the cliff tiles, I'd probably agree, but finer details like that are easy to add on

SmokedPaprika

Basically Garbage
    Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2019
    Thanks man! Sorry to be a pain, but could you clarify what you mean? If you mean around the cliff tiles, I'd probably agree, but finer details like that are easy to add on

Mostly this area; in the attempt to make it natural and less one-dimensional, you added in mounds of dirt to give it life. However, they're all evenly spaced to the grass, evenly sized, and as a result, less natural.

Spoiler:

Inky

Years
    • he / him
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Ah right, I see what you mean. I could look at changing that.

Kinda wanted to emulate the look of a path being broken up by grass.

Thanks for the feedback!

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    Mapped a Route; feedback would be appreciated. I'm not sure if there's enough space - I always feel my maps are a little confined, and I try to cram too much detail in.]

Layout looks good, if a bit short. If that was your intent that's fine, but you have a lot of empty space you could use to make a more adventurous map. See the attachment for an example.

By the way, one mistake I noticed - and this is a common one with these kinds of tiles - is that the stairs are too short. Those are vertical cliffs, while stairs project on an incline. If the cliff is two tiles high and the stairs are two tiles high, you've actually created a ladder. Make it three tiles long.

Also, those tiles are gorgeous; are they public domain?

Edit: I haven't looked in this thread for ages, but I notice you've posted a few maps recently. In general I think you have a very good mapping style. That town you posted is a bit small, yes, but the forest is pretty much perfect.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
      Capture.PNG
      52.4 KB · Views: 53
    Last edited:

SmokedPaprika

Basically Garbage
    Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2019

Oh, yeah, that's great advice. I usually think straight-forward as well when I visualize maps and settings, but you reminded me of one of the nice, subtler things about Pokemon games that always made them exciting - what happens if come back to this and explore some more? What's past that lake? What if I do this?

Always gives the game more of an explorative dimension as a whole. Great criticism.

Inky

Years
    • he / him
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Layout looks good, if a bit short. If that was your intent that's fine, but you have a lot of empty space you could use to make a more adventurous map. See the attachment for an example..
    Thanks for the feedback! I've broken up your comments just to make them easier to reply to.

The idea for the Route was that there is a tunnel that kinda breaks it in two - so upon exiting, you'd still be in the same route. Your suggested water expansion could be an interesting way of bypassing that later on, actually, so thanks for the suggestion! I'll look into maybe adding some extra areas for exploration.
    By the way, one mistake I noticed - and this is a common one with these kinds of tiles - is that the stairs are too short. Those are vertical cliffs, while stairs project on an incline. If the cliff is two tiles high and the stairs are two tiles high, you've actually created a ladder. Make it three tiles long.
    Totally missed that aha, will fix it.
    Also, those tiles are gorgeous; are they public domain?
    It's a mix-n-match of a lot of tiles I've found, but a fair few were edited. They should be fairly easy to track down though. The tree tiles, which are my personal favourites, can be found here, and the cliffs are by this guy, although I edited the larger ones to match the smaller ones.
    Edit: I haven't looked in this thread for ages, but I notice you've posted a few maps recently. In general I think you have a very good mapping style. That town you posted is a bit small, yes, but the forest is pretty much perfect.
    Thanks! I think my biggest problem is large spaces - I always try to make them too detailed, and so to counter that, I started making smaller, more confined maps. Large, empty spaces scare me I guess, aha. Thanks for the feedback man! Was very helpful. :)

Inky

Years
    • he / him
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Made some changes based on the suggested layout above; thoughts? New areas are a little bare, but they're intentionally rough so as to see if the layout is any better.

Route%206.2_zpsy9migofl.png~original

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    Looks pretty good, nice work. I'd still suggest extending those stairs further, to be more or less parallel to the tree/cliff base for the top one and the log for the bottom one (or mushrooms if you wanna cut into the cliffside).

Inky

Years
    • he / him
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Looks like a good map! The only thing that seems a bit out of place is that tiny section of deeper water in the southern-most pool.

Thanks! Yeah, I forgot to change that when I expanded the water. Oops!

Inky

Years
    • he / him
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    THIS is my region so far. The maps there are mostly finished IMO, but will need some tweaking. I filled in the middle part with trees just to fill space. Any feedback would be appreciated!

Atomic Reactor

@LMB10: I've been liking the maps you've been sharing, I love the tile usage and color schemes, it all seems so crisp and natural. I guess my only suggestion would maybe make the forest a little more interesting? It's mostly just one curvy path to the exit, would be more interesting if there were a couple more smaller areas to explore like the one towards the beginning. Other than that, I love the overall style, keep it up!

Inky

Years
    • he / him
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    @LMB10: I've been liking the maps you've been sharing, I love the tile usage and color schemes, it all seems so crisp and natural. I guess my only suggestion would maybe make the forest a little more interesting? It's mostly just one curvy path to the exit, would be more interesting if there were a couple more smaller areas to explore like the one towards the beginning. Other than that, I love the overall style, keep it up!

Thanks man!

Yeah, the forest could probably use some work in terms of it being too linear. I'll give it another look. Thanks for the feedback!

Inky

Years
    • he / him
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Pretty final design for the Player's house... I hate interiors

Player%20House_zpss98ypick.png

Inky

Years
    • he / him
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I just edited them together for that image. They're much further apart on the actual map

Years
  • I think I also post something here.

First one thing: This map itself won't be used in a game. It is more some kind of tile-test. I'm actually experimenting with different tiles to find a good style. So here is the map. I know it's not that good, but my focus was on the tileset, not the map xD (Same goes for the overworldsprites, they are just decoration).

Spoiler:

Well, I know that these mountain tiles and the water won't be used anymore. I personally don't like them very much.

Inky

Years
    • he / him
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    That's a really nice map man! I'm not a huge fan of all the mixed tree types, but other than that great work!

Inky

Years
    • he / him
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Redid my second route, made it longer. Not 100% sure about it, might add some water in somewhere.

Route%202_zpskctqlk9j.png~original

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back