• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Showcase and Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inky

:pleading_face:
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 26, 2024
EDIT: Made edits to this map, updates below.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Inky

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 26, 2024
Okay, so I've been kinda torn on my mapping style lately. I've been trying to map in a slightly more official games style, as opposed to the slightly more realistic / organic looking maps. I do think this is too small, but am I on the right sort of track? I still want some detail, but was trying to refine.

EDIT: Made some adjustments

NuArceae2_zpsjvmfihuk.png

Last edited:

PsyShockker

I'm new to mapping...So, I need some feedback. (Some tiles aren't showing up because I put them as events.)

Last edited:

Byakk0

The Expert Mapper (In my dreams :\)
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Sep 25, 2016
@PsySchokker: For the border of the 4 trees in the middle,if you're using ChaoticCherryCake's tileset you should use the 3x3 version of the tiles you used for the cliff on the left. Also,in my opinion, the placement of the trees for the border could be better.

Inky

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 26, 2024
I hate mapping interiors - they never look right - but here's a museum.

Museum_zpsh6uxc4qy.png

Inky

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 26, 2024
Thanks!

I always feel the opposite - mainly because I find its easier to find variety in exterior environments. Whilst I'm not usually overly happy with exterior maps either, there's far more in terms of styles and shapes you can use to make the maps feel different and unique. Whereas for a house or something, I tend to only really stick with a base look and style, and it all ends up looking very similar.

EDIT:

Here's a city. Not 100% happy with the roads, but yeah.

OrchidCity_zpsyyghvq8u.png

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 14, 2017
Thanks!

I always feel the opposite - mainly because I find its easier to find variety in exterior environments. Whilst I'm not usually overly happy with exterior maps either, there's far more in terms of styles and shapes you can use to make the maps feel different and unique. Whereas for a house or something, I tend to only really stick with a base look and style, and it all ends up looking very similar.

EDIT:

Here's a city. Not 100% happy with the roads, but yeah.

OrchidCity_zpsyyghvq8u.png

It look so good ! Is it a custom tileset you used ?

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 14, 2017
Here is a start town I made.

It's in a region where industries have taken all the place, so it must look dirty. It's why I added ashes on the trees.

Spoiler:

What do you think about it ?

Attachments

• Start.png
    85.6 KB · Views: 188

Inky

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 26, 2024
It look so good ! Is it a custom tileset you used ?

Thanks!

It's a tileset I put together from various other tilesets with a few edits I made myself. :)

As for your map, it's pretty good! I'd reduce the amount of houses, because there are a few too many, and match up the styles of building - the Burnt Tower from HGSS looks a little out of place in an otherwise very industrial city, unless it's meant to be a remnant of an older, less industrial city or something. A nice start!

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 14, 2017
Thanks!

It's a tileset I put together from various other tilesets with a few edits I made myself. :)

As for your map, it's pretty good! I'd reduce the amount of houses, because there are a few too many, and match up the styles of building - the Burnt Tower from HGSS looks a little out of place in an otherwise very industrial city, unless it's meant to be a remnant of an older, less industrial city or something. A nice start!

Thanks ! For my map, I remade it with DPPt graphics, because they're darker and less beautiful.

So here is the final result :

Spoiler:

And here is the 1st route, I find it a bit empty, but I couldn't put more grass, it would have been too much green :

Spoiler:

Attachments

• route 1.png
    151.4 KB · Views: 185
  • Start.png
    90 KB · Views: 184

Inky

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 26, 2024
I posted this forest a while back, but since then I've been going through my maps and changing their size, detail level and general layouts. I wanted my maps to maintain a level of detail, but still have a vanilla feel - slightly more blocky layouts, etc., so I updated it. I'm quite happy with it, but any critiques would be appreciated!

Orchid%20Woods_zpslrmvwuag.png~original

- - - - - - - -

Thanks ! For my map, I remade it with DPPt graphics, because they're darker and less beautiful.
Spoiler:

I prefer the tiles there! I'd still say there's a few too many houses, because unless a lot of doors are locked, that's a lot of interiors to map, and you'd likely struggle to come up with unique dialogue for each house's NPCs too. As a slightly larger issue, I think the city may be a bit too big - I'd say maybe take out the middle row of houses that isn't linked to a path? Other than that, it's a decent map. Maybe add a few more details to make it look less like rows and rows of houses, too.

The route layout-wise looks fine, but you could do with losing that big open space in the middle of the map. There's a few empty spots too that are unnecessary, unless they serve a purpose within the context of the game - but even then, they could do with being reduced a little. Maybe take out a 5 - 10 tiles from the middle of the map and tighten it a little from there? Otherwise, as an initial map, I quite like it. :)

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 14, 2017
I posted this forest a while back, but since then I've been going through my maps and changing their size, detail level and general layouts. I wanted my maps to maintain a level of detail, but still have a vanilla feel - slightly more blocky layouts, etc., so I updated it. I'm quite happy with it, but any critiques would be appreciated!

Orchid%20Woods_zpslrmvwuag.png~original

- - - - - - - -

I prefer the tiles there! I'd still say there's a few too many houses, because unless a lot of doors are locked, that's a lot of interiors to map, and you'd likely struggle to come up with unique dialogue for each house's NPCs too. As a slightly larger issue, I think the city may be a bit too big - I'd say maybe take out the middle row of houses that isn't linked to a path? Other than that, it's a decent map. Maybe add a few more details to make it look less like rows and rows of houses, too.

The route layout-wise looks fine, but you could do with losing that big open space in the middle of the map. There's a few empty spots too that are unnecessary, unless they serve a purpose within the context of the game - but even then, they could do with being reduced a little. Maybe take out a 5 - 10 tiles from the middle of the map and tighten it a little from there? Otherwise, as an initial map, I quite like it. :)

Thanks for your advices :)

As for your map, I really like it ;) I've just one thing to say : you should take off the trees on the other side of the gate, because it looks like it is not an exit, just a house. But that's not really grave though.

Inky

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 26, 2024
Thanks for your advices :)

As for your map, I really like it ;) I've just one thing to say : you should take off the trees on the other side of the gate, because it looks like it is not an exit, just a house. But that's not really grave though.

You're welcome!

Yeah, I could maybe look at changing the gate, but you can't really see it in-game. It helps separate the area in my mind. Still, will have a look. Thanks! :)

Inky

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 26, 2024
It helps them feel more like cut off, concealed areas, which suits them being forests (and technically traditional RPG dungeons).

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen May 1, 2016
Edit: Just realized there is a map showcase thread.. xD
This is Route 2 from my MMO project I'm working on (Ember Red).
It's meant to keep the style of the original games, while being completely new.
It's pretty unfinished, and using official game graphics currently. I'm still working on new graphics.
Any feedback would be appreciated!

ROUTE 2
tKc7pjY.png

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen today
Hello, these two maps are for a game I am making

This is for "Ranger Camp Charlie" I do have event to fill the empty spaces, I just don't know how to screen shot them in.

yuz6vN7.png

This next image is a bit different from the stuff on this but it is still a map so I don't think it is against the rules. Sorry if it is

6SUGPHq.png

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen May 1, 2016
Hello, these two maps are for a game I am making

This is for "Ranger Camp Charlie" I do have event to fill the empty spaces, I just don't know how to screen shot them in.

yuz6vN7.png

This next image is a bit different from the stuff on this but it is still a map so I don't think it is against the rules. Sorry if it is

6SUGPHq.png

It looks good overall. :) I know you said events will cover some empty areas, but I still feel like some ground details/objects could be added in to make it less empty looking.

The only real problem I have with this map, as well as most other peoples maps, are that the trees look off because of how linear/clustered they are. It kind of looks more realistic/unique/better (In my opinion), when trees aren't placed 5 rows by 5 rows for example. Cut out corners, cut out the odd tree in a cluster, ect. That's just my own personal opinion though. It does seem like you sort of did that, just to a lesser extent. I guess it comes down partly to preference though. :)

I like the style of your in game map, it looks pretty good!
I'd suggest trying to do minor improvements, but I'm sure you're not quite finished with it yet.
Even as it is now, it looks great though. Good job overall!

Inky

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 26, 2024
Mapped a Route; feedback would be appreciated. I'm not sure if there's enough space - I always feel my maps are a little confined, and I try to cram too much detail in.

Route%206_zpsddxvocnb.png~original

SmokedPaprika

Basically Garbage
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 2, 2019
Mapped a Route; feedback would be appreciated. I'm not sure if there's enough space - I always feel my maps are a little confined, and I try to cram too much detail in.

Oooh, very nice. It's not crammed at all. Looks almost naturalistic and calming. The one criticism I'd have is that it's a bit jarring to see the same amount of dirt around the same spot in-between each patch of grass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back