• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Tileset Editing (R/S/E/FR/LG)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Okay, there are many ways in which you can edit a tileset. I will explain three.

For those looking to edit pallettes, this tutorial does not teach you how. Look somewhere else for a tutorial that teaches you how to do that.
.: 1 - AdvanceMap :.
Note: This way produces a lot more errors than the latter.

~Step One~
Make sure you have everything ready. You will need AdvanceMap, the ROM of your choice, and a paint program.

~Step Two~
Open the ROM in AdvanceMap, go to the map that has the tileset you want to edit, and go to the block editor.

~Step Three~
While in the block editor, choose the pallette of the building you want to insert.

~Step Four~
While still in the block editor, go to Picture (It is in the upper-left corner). While there, go to Save Tileset 1 or 2 (Depending on which one you want to edit).

~Step Five~
Open the tileset you just saved. Insert the building, and use the eyedropper tool to make sure the tile has the correct colors. It is very importanat thet the colors are correct. Now, save the tileset.

~Step Six~
In the AdvanceMap block editor, go to Picture. Go to Load Tileset 1/2 (Depending on which on which one you saved and edited). The new tileset should appear. If not, go to Pictures, then to Reload Blocks.

~Step Seven~
Edit the blocks. Also, if needed, fix the map footer. There! Your done!

.: 2 - TileLayer Pro :.
This is the safest, but hardest way to edit tiles.

~Step One~
Make sure you have everything ready. You will need unLZ-GBA, the ROM of your choice, guide tiles, and TileLayer Pro.

~Step Two~
Open the ROM with unLZ. Open the tileset. (To do this, you may need to run a Deep Scan)

~Step Three~
Go to File, then go to Raw Dump. When it says Save As, click on the down arrow where it says RAW, and select All files. Save it as X.gba, where X is a different name than the ROM (It is important that you save it as a .gba file. That way, TLP recognizes it.)

~Step Four~
Open the new raw dump (X.gba). Also, open Paint with the tile you want to edit, and find a guide tile (Or tiles).

~Step Five~
Edit the tiles, then save as X.raw. Open unLZ, then go to the tileset. Go to Load Raw and choose X.raw. When the check boxes appear, check all of them except Abort If Data Is Bigger. There! Your done!

.: 3 - unLZ and Paint :.

~Step One~
Make sure you have everything ready. You will need unLZ-GBA, the ROM of your choice, guide tiles, and Paint.

~Step Two~
Open the ROM with unLZ. Open the tileset. (To do this, you may need to run a Deep Scan)

~Step Three~
Find the correct pallette (If you cannot find the correct pallette of the tile you want to replace, then find a 16-color pallette. You will need to use a guide tile for this). Click on Save As...

~Step Four~
Open the tileset in Paint. Then insert the tile, making sure it is properly alligned with the other tiles. Then use the eydropper tool to make sure it has the right colors. Then save the tileset.

~Step Five~
In unLZ, go to the tileset. Make sure the pallette is the same as when you saved the tileset. Then click on import. There! Your done!

.: Notes :.

~Due to differences in ROM dumps, I just generalized instead of giving specific Goto numbers and Pallette numbers.

~A guide tile is a tile that shows what the colors of TLP are in-game. For example, if replacing a mountain tile, you would use the pre-existing mountain tile to guide what colors you would need to insert the new tile as.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2016
It works, but when I open the tileset up to edit it, everything's a weird color and mixed up..

I'm using Advance Map by the way.

Years
That is normal. The block editor was set to pallette 0, which is the greenery pallette. If you wanted to edit something else in a different pallette, than you will need to change the pallette to the correct one.

Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2016
That is normal. The block editor was set to pallette 0, which is the greenery pallette. If you wanted to edit something else in a different pallette, than you will need to change the pallette to the correct one.

I understand now, thanks :D

D-Trogh

Dead
Years
A pallete editing tutorial would be nice.. I know how to change palletes..
Well.. I used to, I forgot (Damn.. I really need to start hacking again)
But editing the Tileset palletes just looks more complicated :-\

foofatron

Banned
Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Sep 2, 2007
When I try to load this in advanced map it says palatete not found what does that mean?

foofatron

Banned
Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Sep 2, 2007
I made a new one with the eye droper and still says mising pallette.Look

zak

xpert trainer
Years

a quik question

see the main tileset for ruby , wen you edit it and change the size you cant re-insert it bcoz its bigger, is there anyway you can insert it wen it is bigger? or you gota keep it the same size?

$_$

?????????
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 4, 2016
But how do you edit the pleate. (I spelled that wrong.)

Years
@ $_$: This is a tileset editing tutorial, not a pallette editing tutorial.

@ Ash2000: There are many different dumps and each dump has the raq data arranged differently.

Hedgehogger

Learning ASM, but struggling
Years
Nice tutorial here; I just edited the grass tiles to my own customs, but, how do you edit the frames of a moving tile (Like when you step through grass, flowers, etc.) because the old grass appears when stepped through.

Years
@ Hedghogger: I do not know how to do that, but I imagine you find it in unLZ.gba. (If you do, follow thw steps for the TLP Tileset editing tutorial)

@Speedonh: Did you try enlarging the tileset, and/or did you try to insert tiles with the wrong pallette?

Alex

what will it be next?
Years
  • Seen Dec 30, 2022
So, there's no way to do this without needing to re-color the tiles you want to insert to match the palette, right? If so, that's gonna be hard.

EDIT: Don, how come when I put in the tile, it just looks like this on AdvanceMap's Tile Editor:
f_TileSetEditm_ba5e747.png

Last edited:

Swimmer♂

Glub! Glub! Glub!
Years
@Speedonh: Did you try enlarging the tileset, and/or did you try to insert tiles with the wrong pallette?
How do you enlarge the tileset and btw i was trying to export the tileset for editing not import it. also i have the same problem for the 2nd tilesets on any map, so, can you help me plz?
Thankyou

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back