• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
Years
  • Alright, let's see... 'Goldridge City'...

Hm...

First of all, there ain't even a shred of 'gold'. 0/10.

But I jest. It's actually a pretty decent map you've got there, albeit it feels incredibly busy (a rarity for a starting town). At a glance, there isn't much wrong with it. However, I do wonder - you do have the grass sorted out, right? It wouldn't cause the game to glitch out (considering this is the starter town and all)?

Anyhow, I did notice some tiling errors - mostly ledges that end with grass rather than rock.

There isn't much else that catches my eye, so I'll leave it at that.

7.5/10. Yay.

... ... ...

Anyhow, now for my thing. It's a region map ('Vaare') of my non-existing hack. I'm aware that it is a bit flat in terms of colours, but each attempt to add some depth to the picture ended up making it uglier. I'm still trying to work that out. Also, I used dots. What do you think about that? I'm planning on utilizing more dots, to signify forests and caves.

And by the way, I have not inserted this into a game yet. I'll be doing that later, once I get the different shades of green and blue sorted out...

9ZX08SQ.png

And there it is. Opinions?

I think it looks good, I like the dotted routes. It's a nice change. However like you said with the colors, it's a bit dull. Needs more color on the land and hopefully some more water color too. Otherwise looks good. 7/10.

Here's my map ... I used some of the battle frontier tiles mixed with other tiles I have in my credits for my hack. Let me know. I don't really care for tiles outside of what the player sees so if there are any tile errors you see that the player can't, I don't care. = P

Spoiler:

Years
  • Le pug, Really nice map! The only thing I dislike is its overall brown look. Maybe a few desert/mountain like trees would make that better. In the end I think it's a great map. 9.5/10

Firekoopa thanks for the review. I got a few questions. I wanted to make it a busy city because personally I like that, but do you think it is irritating? And with tiling errors do you mean the curves? Because I made the rocks end with grass on purpose. So again are these 'tiling errors' irritating? For the grass, yep I got that sorted out.

Now your map.
    I really like the islands and their shapes. I also think you positioned them well. The only thing I dislike is that the right half of the map contains a lot more cities than the left one. I also don't get why you made a looped route on the west coast of the east island.

Well taking into account that you're going to add some colours, I give your map a 9/10

firekoopa

Combat the Infinite
    Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2020
    I think it looks good, I like the dotted routes. It's a nice change. However like you said with the colors, it's a bit dull. Needs more color on the land and hopefully some more water color too. Otherwise looks good. 7/10.

Here's my map ... I used some of the battle frontier tiles mixed with other tiles I have in my credits for my hack. Let me know. I don't really care for tiles outside of what the player sees so if there are any tile errors you see that the player can't, I don't care. = P

Spoiler:
    There isn't anything there? I can't see any map. :S

Last edited:

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023

There's not too much to say about it... it's a great map, great tiles, all that stuff, and there's no tile errors that I can see that the player can see. My suggestion would be to add a little bit more things, but I'm not sure that the player will be able to see them, so it doesn't matter much. I really like what you did with the temple behind the battle pyramid sun, that's pretty damn original, and from what I see in your signature it's really cool how it becomes dark. Also, might just be me, but I don't think the tiles fit along too much with the big rock and little rock tiles, due to the difference in color. I'll give it a 10/10, not much too improve on, and that's good.

Now here's my map, I had originally posted an early version of it a while ago.
    Map Name: Ivy City (or town, pls person that rates next tell me which)
    Map Game: Pokemon Fluorite (EM)
    Comments: Crystal headbutt tree, ruby small tree, RS dewford tree and EM tree all in one... haha
    Also, the purple water is because the gym is a poison type, same thing with the mushrooms. And lastly, the floor tiles will be made a little bit darker.
    Credits: Erma96 for most of the tiles, and Zein for the mushrooms.

Spoiler:

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    @Dark Sneasel

I'm afraid your map has too much going on. Three trees, wild-grass, two bushes, two rocks, tree stumps, three types of mushroom and an abundance of flowers - you've just got too much decoration and it's not used to the fullest. Rather than clumping them together, you've gone for an even spread, across most of the map, which makes it look very boring and repetitive on this large scale. Your 'nature' side of your tiles overwhelms the town side - trees are even covering up some of your buildings, which does detract from your house tiles.

Speaking of houses, the odd, displaced building add nothing to this map. Either put them inline with the existing ones, just without doors (or locked doors) or get rid of them entirely.

You've also overdone the paths - although the stone path looks alright (bit OTT and mishapen, mind), you've thrown in sand and the grassy one with no purpose - you've just used them to fill a gap.

Moving on to your ~poison~ theme. Your mushroom tiles look nice - I do wish though, as implied above, that there were areas of mushrooms, rather than them being randomly dotted across the whole map. Put a few together, decorative tiles such as these (and flowers) generally look better as a couple. I get the idea of your water, but it just isn't working. Perhaps a new tile all together is needed, something that'll look nicer with the floating mushrooms.

Overall, this map is probably a 6/10.

Years
  • Spoiler:

Map Name: Stone Town(?)
    Map Game: Pokemon SkyWhite(FR)
    Comments: Yeah, this is my very first map. so...

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024

Spoiler:

I like it, props for the creative combination of tiles and the way you pulled off a convincing mountain peak. The red sun in the horizon behind an object (which happens to be a japanese structure) gives that distinct feeling of the country; props, again. The map itself is pretty, although it's basically a straight line, which doesn't say much for the gameplay it offers, but once you reach the top, you sure feel good. One thing I didn't like about it is the incorrect placement of turns in the rock tiles, which sometimes seem to disappear into a straight wall; there are proper tiles to explain this mistake, and I would use them if I were you, as to not leave any graphic area on the map incomplete. But I guess that's one way to map a mountain. Another minor thing I didn't like is the stairs. You seem to have added an extra tile, to extend them, as if, but the stairs going beyond their place in the rock and onto the floor look a bit strange to me. But I get the feeling extending them was your intention and I kind of see why, now that I think on it.

Well done mate, 8/10

And here's my map. I made this for a friend; we were going to make an emerald remake, long ago, but the project sank, so all I'm left with is this map for a souvenir of the tileset I was going to use. Credits to all proper places (I can't remember any of them, but it might've been Zeikku and... err... somebody else for the buildings. Dewitty I think. Oh, and Alistar for some trees)

Spoiler:

E.C.

Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2021
    I like it, props for the creative combination of tiles and the way you pulled off a convincing mountain peak. The red sun in the horizon behind an object (which happens to be a japanese structure) gives that distinct feeling of the country; props, again. The map itself is pretty, although it's basically a straight line, which doesn't say much for the gameplay it offers, but once you reach the top, you sure feel good. One thing I didn't like about it is the incorrect placement of turns in the rock tiles, which sometimes seem to disappear into a straight wall; there are proper tiles to explain this mistake, and I would use them if I were you, as to not leave any graphic area on the map incomplete. But I guess that's one way to map a mountain. Another minor thing I didn't like is the stairs. You seem to have added an extra tile, to extend them, as if, but the stairs going beyond their place in the rock and onto the floor look a bit strange to me. But I get the feeling extending them was your intention and I kind of see why, now that I think on it.

Well done mate, 8/10

And here's my map. I made this for a friend; we were going to make an emerald remake, long ago, but the project sank, so all I'm left with is this map for a souvenir of the tileset I was going to use. Credits to all proper places (I can't remember any of them, but it might've been Zeikku and... err... somebody else for the buildings. Dewitty I think. Oh, and Alistar for some trees)

Spoiler:

For a gamefreak style map I gotta say I really like how this map was made. The size of the map is nice and small (not like other maps that are huge and leave huge spots of empty grass with no trees,flowers,tall grass whatsoever) and despite it's size it still has a lot of space for the player to move around in. The tiles you used were also really great and easy on the eyes (although the buildings would have looked nicer with a different color). The only thing that I find awkward in this map is how the mountains just suddenly dissapear near the 2 trees on the path to the top. Other than that I think this map is pretty neat.

Here is my map. I have nothing new to show so I'll post the latest map I've made.
    Spoiler:

Years
  • For a gamefreak style map I gotta say I really like how this map was made. The size of the map is nice and small (not like other maps that are huge and leave huge spots of empty grass with no trees,flowers,tall grass whatsoever) and despite it's size it still has a lot of space for the player to move around in. The tiles you used were also really great and easy on the eyes (although the buildings would have looked nicer with a different color). The only thing that I find awkward in this map is how the mountains just suddenly disappear near the 2 trees on the path to the top. Other than that I think this map is pretty neat.

Here is my map. I have nothing new to show so I'll post the latest map I've made.
    Spoiler:

That is an amazing map it has a bit of everything ^-^ It has the beach with the boats and then the marina that looks like it could be a chill place to go and hang at. Everything in this map is perfect from the houses to the trees to the rocks in the lake. This is an amazing map I would love to see it in a future game.

Here are my maps I know they are buggy as far as tiles go I didn't feel like building tiles until I was ready to actually map.You can see what I was going for near the top where it splits from a small path to a more open area and I can't for the life of me figure out how to do this I would love the help :)

2rr05fn.jpg

Years
  • Here are my maps I know they are buggy as far as tiles go I didn't feel like building tiles until I was ready to actually map.You can see what I was going for near the top where it splits from a small path to a more open area and I can't for the life of me figure out how to do this I would love the help :)

2rr05fn.jpg

First of all, you said "Here are my maps I know they are buggy(...)"
    There's only one map in there, not sure if intended or not
    As for the map, I don't wanna sound rude, but that's very bad :s
    First of all, at the bottom, the layers of height are upside down, one more layer means that the tile is below, not above the top block
    Then, the top part of the map, that plain part with the cave in it, doesn't clash with the bottom part's layers
    Then, it's all to plain and simetric. This can sometimes work if it's an ancient ruin or something, but still very rare, try to add stuff like rocks in the path
    All those glitched tiles are super easy to fix in the block editor
    The two doors as the center don't really look good. Imo the "central" door of a building or cave should either be only 1 block wide or if it's 2, they should connect, and not have a wall gap between both tiles
    Other than all that, even if you did fix everything, the map would still not be anything special, because those are just what it does wrong, there's still a lot it doesn't have
    If I were you I'd try to map routes, towns and citys first and then move on to rocky routes/mountains

Blah

Free supporter
    Years
  • Here are my maps I know they are buggy as far as tiles go I didn't feel like building tiles until I was ready to actually map.You can see what I was going for near the top where it splits from a small path to a more open area and I can't for the life of me figure out how to do this I would love the help :)

2rr05fn.jpg

To be frank it looks like a penis
    Ignoring the abundance of tile errors, I think you need to study the maps of mountainous regions already in the fire red ROM (sevault canyon for example). You're using the wrong tiles in the wrong places (if you right click a tile in map mode on a map it will show you the tile it's using from the block). Another thing is, if I were to actually play this map out, I'd be coming out of the cave to a dead end (which is fine if that's the location of your final event). Say I complete whatever business I had in that mountain top, I'd have to transverse my way back through the cave I came from. It's better to have a way out, almost directly, than to have to walk back through a map full of wild Pokemon you've already transversed.

Years
    • Seen Feb 29, 2016
    Here are my maps I know they are buggy as far as tiles go I didn't feel like building tiles until I was ready to actually map.You can see what I was going for near the top where it splits from a small path to a more open area and I can't for the life of me figure out how to do this I would love the help :)

Spoiler:

Well okay I guess I should write a review for this (thought I didn't have to because the last one was posted a while ago and there were already a few reviews... oh well :silly:)

Review: Going from top to bottom, here's what I notice. In the top left corner you used the corner over dirt/rock, while the top and top right corner are the edges over grass--you should pick one and stick with it around the whole edge.
    The two pools you used water bordered by grass, see if there's a tile for water bordered by rock, otherwise get a tile that will gently move from grass to rock and use that.
    The cave entrance in the middle also uses grass borders, use ones that match the level below it (rock in your case, else change the top area to grass). As previously mentioned, your layers are flipped on each side of the path; right now it appears as a big rock jutting out over a grassy area, you'll have to change it if you were going for a ramp going up from the grass. Otherwise, just add in some rocks and flowers to spruce things up, don't want to have big open boring sections :happy:

Rating: :chu::chu::chu::chu::chu: / 10

---------------------------

And here's my map, let me know what you think :mudkip^_^:

Map Name: Vivliothe West

Map Game: Emerald

Comments: This is the map where the player awakes after drifting across the ocean on the raft you see on the left. It's a beach on the left and is more rocky/dunes area on the right. I did my best with the default tileset, some day I'll get a custom one!

Spoiler:

Years
  • Well okay I guess I should write a review for this (thought I didn't have to because the last one was posted a while ago and there were already a few reviews... oh well :silly:)

Review: Going from top to bottom, here's what I notice. In the top left corner you used the corner over dirt/rock, while the top and top right corner are the edges over grass--you should pick one and stick with it around the whole edge.
    The two pools you used water bordered by grass, see if there's a tile for water bordered by rock, otherwise get a tile that will gently move from grass to rock and use that.
    The cave entrance in the middle also uses grass borders, use ones that match the level below it (rock in your case, else change the top area to grass). As previously mentioned, your layers are flipped on each side of the path; right now it appears as a big rock jutting out over a grassy area, you'll have to change it if you were going for a ramp going up from the grass. Otherwise, just add in some rocks and flowers to spruce things up, don't want to have big open boring sections :happy:

Rating: :chu::chu::chu::chu::chu: / 10

---------------------------

And here's my map, let me know what you think :mudkip^_^:

Map Name: Vivliothe West

Map Game: Emerald

Comments: This is the map where the player awakes after drifting across the ocean on the raft you see on the left. It's a beach on the left and is more rocky/dunes area on the right. I did my best with the default tileset, some day I'll get a custom one!

Spoiler:

I would say 7/10 the reason that it's not 10/10 is that it is kind of bare. You should add either buildings or if the island is uninhabited some structures. You can even edit the rocks that are already there and make them more mountainous.

Here is my map. It is, obviously, Goldenrod City. Now ignoring the obvious tile errors such as the random grass on buildings and the fact that the Radio Tower is just a mountain (place holder) how does it look?

hHtneqw.png

Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2021
    I would say 7/10 the reason that it's not 10/10 is that it is kind of bare. You should add either buildings or if the island is uninhabited some structures. You can even edit the rocks that are already there and make them more mountainous.

Here is my map. It is, obviously, Goldenrod City. Now ignoring the obvious tile errors such as the random grass on buildings and the fact that the Radio Tower is just a mountain (place holder) how does it look?

Spoiler:

It is a bit difficult to judge this because normally we should judge the creative aspect, which you lack since its a emake, but i try to judge it of how good it is as a remake.
    you dont have access to th house on the right bottom of the gym, which is not like in the originals.
    the 2 houses on the railroad cover the whole railroad and not only a half in the original. i dont know if you wanted to do it exactly like in the original, but i just wanted to point this out.
    I dislike that you used those blue houses too much, it makes this map loking boring, maybe use more houses with diffrent colors?
    Other then that looks like a plain remake, you get 7/10 for this.

now my map.
    rombase:firered
    this is Intended to be the first route of my hack. the top left connects you to the starter town and the bottom rigth to a big city. feel free to critizise everything you want (so not only the structure, but also tiles, pallets etc...)
    credits for tiles: wesleyfg; epicday;BoOmxBig;me

Spoiler:

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    It is a bit difficult to judge this because normally we should judge the creative aspect, which you lack since its a emake, but i try to judge it of how good it is as a remake.
    you dont have access to th house on the right bottom of the gym, which is not like in the originals.
    the 2 houses on the railroad cover the whole railroad and not only a half in the original. i dont know if you wanted to do it exactly like in the original, but i just wanted to point this out.
    I dislike that you used those blue houses too much, it makes this map loking boring, maybe use more houses with diffrent colors?
    Other then that looks like a plain remake, you get 7/10 for this.

now my map.
    rombase:firered
    this is Intended to be the first route of my hack. the top left connects you to the starter town and the bottom rigth to a big city. feel free to critizise everything you want (so not only the structure, but also tiles, pallets etc...)
    credits for tiles: wesleyfg; epicday;BoOmxBig;me

Spoiler:

its a good map 11/6 i like now my turn
    Nah, I'm just kidding, it is a good map though. Your tiles look very good, and they do fit the environment, but the ledge tiles near the bottom half looks very weird in my opinion. The spacing is fine, I'd add a few more things, but that's just me, and something that is bothering me a bit is the lack of tree shadows when they are placed to each other, but I'm not sure if that really matters, or if those tree tiles have it. Overall, I like it, and I also like what you did that you made sure that the player has to go through the grass if they went the "lazy way."

Okay, now my turn XD
    Name: Route 8
    Info: A route.
    Spoiler:

also, I'd like to mention that Imma make the first half of the map more spaced, and simpler

Last edited:

Dr. Seuss

Will finish GS Chronicles, I swear!
    Years
  • its a good map 11/6 i like now my turn
    Nah, I'm just kidding, it is a good map though. Your tiles look very good, and they do fit the environment, but the ledge tiles near the bottom half looks very weird in my opinion. The spacing is fine, I'd add a few more things, but that's just me, and something that is bothering me a bit is the lack of tree shadows when they are placed to each other, but I'm not sure if that really matters, or if those tree tiles have it. Overall, I like it, and I also like what you did that you made sure that the player has to go through the grass if they went the "lazy way."

Okay, now my turn XD
    Name: Route 8
    Info: A route.
    Spoiler:

also, I'd like to mention that Imma make the first half of the map more spaced, and simpler

Simple map, but the final result is good, I like maps like that, but can be better
    My qualification: 7/10
    still mapping in these style!
    ----
    Ok, I put my horrible map of Ice Silver, let's go!

Name: Hillpond City
    Base: Fire Red
    Info: A City
    Spoiler:

Tyroz

In tenebris est et in nobis.
    Years
  • Name: Hillpond City
    Base: Fire Red
    Info: A City
    Spoiler:

Review: Your graphics really work with one another. Almost as if they were from the same artist's set. I do like he movement of the map although it seems a little too large for what you are trying to go for. But otherwise I like it!
    Rating: An easy 7 out of 10

----------------------------------------------------

Map Name: Right Now this map remains name-less.

Map Game: FireRed

Comments: I was wondering if people thought this was an appropriate starting town... I love the layout and the graphics, but I cannot seem to figure out if this would be an appropriate starting town.

Extra information though, this Town is a Beach front town with a small wood on one side. To the right of the town, there lies a small hotel for the town visitors who are there to visit the beach.

Spoiler:

I do have to say though, I went through this entire thread while I was sick, and this entire thread has slowed down to the point of no one really checks this. The maps I have seen on this thread have been works of art, and the reviews and advice have been amazing. It's sad to see such an integral part of PokeCommunity dying...

Last edited:

DarkenedEclipse

Project Oak
    Years
  • Review: Your graphics really work with one another. Almost as if they were from the same artist's set. I do like he movement of the map although it seems a little too large for what you are trying to go for. But otherwise I like it!
    Rating: An easy 7 out of 10

----------------------------------------------------

Map Name: Right Now this map remains name-less.

Comments: I was wondering if people thought this was an appropriate starting town... I love the layout and the graphics, but I cannot seem to figure out if this would be an appropriate starting town.

Extra information though, this Town is a Beach front town with a small wood on one side. To the right of the town, there lies a small hotel for the town visitors who are there to visit the beach.

Spoiler:

I do have to say though, I went through this entire thread while I was sick, and this entire thread has slowed down to the point of no one really checks this. The maps I have seen on this thread have been works of art, and the reviews and advice have been amazing. It's sad to see such an integral part of PokeCommunity dying...
    Review: Overall I like it!:) The tiles used are very nice. However one slight thing that's bothering me are the shadows of the grassy ledges near the front, it just seems so eye catching it takes away from the map, the grassy tiles as well seem a little random to the beach, aka they don't compliment as well. IMO, I would try something like slateport city, it goes from beach, to a Stoney area, to a grassy area. S I'd smooth out that transition. As well the grass between the trees are weird as well. Everything else looks good though!

Rate: 8.5/10

Dionen

deprived of sleep
    Years
  • Map Name: Right Now this map remains name-less.
    Spoiler:

I like this map!
    The idea of grass between tress is pretty cool, but you should take care not to make them walkable (there are some near the signpost on the right). I'm not a fan of the random placement of the sand paths in the middle, they just make the map confusing. You should try to connect them, because (from my point of view) they guide the player through the town.
    If there are more things to the right of the map, you should keep it clear, and make the upper beach bigger (unless it's a hidden hotel or something).
    aaaand you inserted the lamp post tile and used it only once. Lamp posts are great! They light up things ^_^
    Use more of them, maybe near the pokecenter.
    Be careful with the saturated palettes from your tree/grass and this town's house. They do not match at all. Great map! :pink_love:

And I agree with you! This is an amazing topic, and shouldn't be dying. I'll help!

Map Name: Nameless, yet
    Comments: It's your first "town", and when you leave the house you already have a poke. The wildgrass palette is not correct, it's too dark. That's it ^_^

aU2bZxt.png

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back