• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiniMinun

Azumarill Lover Since Gen II!
Years
(Ooooo 1000th post! I really would have liked to post an awesome map or something, but I don't got any. :( I'll just do a review. I'm not a mod or anything, but I just want to shout out everyone who posted on this thread. There are some pretty good mappers here at the PokeCommunity! Keep up the awesome work!)

^Thanks for the kind words, Wurmple. :) I can't seem to be able to view your map... was there a problem uploading it?

Dark Sneasel said:
now my map
base: Emerald
map name: Ivy City
game:Fluorite
comments: It's not done yet, but I wanna sleep so I'd rather someone rate what I have so far on this than the map I previously had here.
Spoiler:

Credits to Erma96 for the tiles

I think the crowning jewel of this map is the detail put into area surrounding Ivy City. The of trees and stumps are really nice! If I was the one making the map, I think I would get rid of the boulders. But, really, that's just my preference: There really is nothing wrong with them. I get that you will find stones and boulders in nature, I just feel like they take away from the forest theme. Again, just my opinion, they are fine otherwise.

Moving on, nothing really wrong with the city itself, other than two things. I feel like the path to the left of the PokeMart is a little bit wide, and that the clump of buildings in the north is out of place, because there are so many buildings there and all the other ones are spaced out. Speaking of which, I like the open space in the city: It gives the impression of freedom and that you can run around to your heart's content.

Like I told Mr.Wurmple, I a little bad with shading, but I'm pretty sure the shading in this map is a little off. And one last thing: in the North-West part of the map, there's one tree (The original small Hoenn tree) and no others in the map. Just seems weird.

Anyways, I still really do like your map! :) 8/10

(Oh no! 1001th post. You beat me to it, pokepie! >:D )

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jun 7, 2016
REVIEW: First of all, I really like the shape of the route.
Its nature is perfect, and I how untouched, the map is. I also like the player has choices to either go to the cave or the house. The best part is the river, that goes through the map. It's very nice and clean.
But as you've said, the shapes of the mountain at river doesn't fit the river.
Otherwise, I think it's a natural map, which I personally like xD.
I'll give it a 9,5/10.

SUGGESTIONS: SHAPES. SHAPES EVERYWHERE...

-------------------------------
My map

Map name: I dunno- town?
Rombase: E.C' fire red rombase.
Comments Practice, for a game I am making!
ANY CRITICISM WANTED
Spoiler:

EDIT: NOW FIXED IMAGE :P

Some of the path seems a little too thick, and I know it's a river but some parts seem too square, but other than that, 9/10. I don't see very many flowers, maybe add a little more to make the map more lively and colorful? Still, it's better than what I can do XD.

Now for mine:
Spoiler:

It's a forest. My first map. And about that big ledge at the bottom left corner, it's jumpable. Are there too many decorations? The top is an exit but I just put trees there so the border won't be a problem.

Credits: Hydragirium, Kyledove, Alistair, Shawn_frost, Saurav, AsdSimonE, Reck. If I forgot anyone, please tell me :)

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
I would say your biggest potential issue, Cloud, is the palette. Your tiles are really really dark - depending on your OW sprites that might clash a bit. Have you tried it out in-ROM?

I wouldn't say there are too many decorations, as it's a forest and all of yours seem appropriate, but your trees strike me as odd. For a forest, I would expect more dense tree clusters, however overlapping trees are very rare in your map - you've created a kind of 'fake' boundary by blocking off holes between the trees but it would be better if overlapping was more prevalent.

Otherwise - I quite like it! It's interesting, not too simple. I'd give it an 8/10 :).

Years
MiniMinum -
(Sorry I'm new so I can't do spoilers or images... It's stupid.)

I don't like the R/S/E tileset that you have mostly used but the houses you have inserted look great. Anyhow, to the mapping; the paths look unnatural and the trees around the edge look strange. The town looks very playable but the pond at the right looks dumb but that's just my opinion.

Tilesets: 4 / 10 (Could use more changes because the R/S/E ones suck.)
Visual Mapping: 6 / 10 (Change the edges, make bigger gaps maybe.)
Playability: 8 / 10 (Nothing overly interesting - but no playability issues.)

Overall: 6 / 10

Changes I would make: Change the trees around the edge, the path in the town and the tilesets for the POKEMART, the POKEMON CENTRE and the GYM.

MiniMinun

Azumarill Lover Since Gen II!
Years
^RanaldRoo... Are you referring to Dark Sneasel's map, Ivy City? That's not mine, I just did a review for it.

Now, for Mr.Wurmple... I am quite glad you fixed your image, because I really like it! First thing's first, your tileset is nice, if you cared about that. It fits the village well. The houses are disposed nicely, the ponds fit in well, and other than the tree border surrounding the village (although I understand where that comes from, not a big deal), the trees are well placed too. I think my only problem with the map is that there is a little bit too much sandy pathways throughout the village.

Great job! 9/10

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Jul 26, 2021

Now for mine:
Spoiler:

It's a forest. My first map. And about that big ledge at the bottom left corner, it's jumpable. Are there too many decorations? The top is an exit but I just put trees there so the border won't be a problem.

Credits: Hydragirium, Kyledove, Alistair, Shawn_frost, Saurav, AsdSimonE, Reck. If I forgot anyone, please tell me :)

It all looks natural and your tiles and how you used them look very diverse and interesting, i give it 9/10

This is my first map created. Tiles are made by kyledove. It could be a starting town, rigth to it is a route without any high grass that leads to a city, where you get your first pokemon and left to it leads to a route with pokemon. The rom is Firered and pls also critizise the tiles and palettes used since this is my first map.

Spoiler:

Pokémon Trainer 188

This is my first map created. Tiles are made by kyledove. It could be a starting town, rigth to it is a route without any high grass that leads to a city, where you get your first pokemon and left to it leads to a route with pokemon. The rom is Firered and pls also critizise the tiles and palettes used since this is my first map.

Spoiler:

The trees in this map are too scattered in my opinion, you need to put them much closer together and you need to put many more trees into it, so that they fill most of the map. The bigger tree tiles are a little ugly in my opinion they don't really look like trees and I'm sure I've seen better Kyledove trees, there is also a tile error around the big yellow flowers that needs to be fixed and I'm not a fan of how tall that house is. To sum it up it needs a lot of improving but I think if you make those changes it will look fantastic! 4/10

Here's my map, it's nothing special I didn't make it for a hack it's just one I made in my spare time and it uses Zelda OoS and OoA tiles that have been edited a little bit to make them look better, if anyone would like to use these tiles I'd be more that happy to give you an IPS with the tiles inserted. Anyway, I hope you like it!

4fk9gGn.png

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
Here's my map, it's nothing special I didn't make it for a hack it's just one I made in my spare time and it uses Zelda OoS and OoA tiles that have been edited a little bit to make them look better, if anyone would like to use these tiles I'd be more that happy to give you an IPS with the tiles inserted. Anyway, I hope you like it!

4fk9gGn.png

Oooh a Zelda base, interesting. The basics of what you have good (but bare in mind it's a tiny map). I feel like the houses could be slightly better places, moving either the top one left a tile or the bottom one right - they're a bit too on top of each other for my taste.

There's also quite a lot of grass/path decoration. If there is a plainer tile it might be best if that was more common - I'm not sure what you're working with.

8/10 Small, but seems to do what it needs.

If anyone has time, I'd love an indepth rating of my Pewter Re-Redesign, featured in Pokemon Fae (FR Base, tiles by me/others).

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
Oooh a Zelda base, interesting. The basics of what you have good (but bare in mind it's a tiny map). I feel like the houses could be slightly better places, moving either the top one left a tile or the bottom one right - they're a bit too on top of each other for my taste.

There's also quite a lot of grass/path decoration. If there is a plainer tile it might be best if that was more common - I'm not sure what you're working with.

If anyone has time, I'd love an indepth rating of my Pewter Re-Redesign, featured in Pokemon Fae (FR Base, tiles by me/others).

Spoiler:

First of all, very nice re-design. In most occsions I'd say I don't like straight paths, but you really nailed it around the PC
The museum in the top looks good with the "side house" addition, but that door doesn't seem to fit.
Now, the big thing that I noticed as I saw this map is the trees. I really like the design, and they fit well with FireRed tiles, but I'd make them lighter, they are way too dark. Also, when they are side by side but one is one tile above or below, they seem to make a corridor of free space, which looks rather ugly.
Overall, 9.5/10, only reason it's not 10 is because of the tree colour
I know you asked for an in-depth review, but this is the best I can do, unless you want me to tell you how great everything looks :P

Last edited:
Years

Spoiler:

Nice redesign, it has a gamefreak type feel...meaning it looks like a town that would be in an official pokemon game, the paths are straightforward and buildings area aligned accordingly. As said by JosefigGaming, the tree palette could use a bit of tuning, but thats not major. The one thing I dont like is the one block space between the mart and a house that leads to an empty area, and even if the area has significance, the path seems oddly placed. Other than that the only thing is a tile error just beneath the pokecenter on the road.

8.5/10

Bill Cipher

Call me Fuxydia~!
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 3, 2016

Spoiler:

Map Name: Mondas Town
ROM Base: Neti's Past ROM Base
ROM: Fire Red
Hack Name: Voltage Version
Map:
mondas_town_by_glitchdoodles-d7ugbs6.bmp

Info:
This is going to be my player's starting town, they plan to go off and see the region, but first must attend a Trainer School in Turserus City, which is also the first gym.
The leave via the large train station to the right, the route to the south is road blocked until the player returns home later on in the game.

Other houses include, Player's House, Rival's House, Prof's Lab.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Jul 26, 2021
Spoiler:

I really like the idea with the train at the start. Maybe you could at a train sprite next to the station? that would be great.
Other than that i find it a bit to rectangular.
That grass at the bottom left corner is also kinda strange for a starting town. I know you cant access it, but if you use this tiles also for the grass in normal routes, it could be unsuitable there, and something else would be better maybe.

I would give it 6/10

my map:
This is the basically same map as i posted before, but i tried to implement The Gamecube Collectors suggestions and i also changed my tiles to wesleyfg tiles.
Same info as last time in the spoiler:
Spoiler:

map:
Spoiler:

Bill Cipher

Call me Fuxydia~!
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 3, 2016
I really like the idea with the train at the start. Maybe you could at a train sprite next to the station? that would be great.
That grass at the bottom left corner is also kinda strange for a starting town. I know you cant access it, but if you use this tiles also for the grass in normal routes, it could be unsuitable there, and something else would be better maybe.

I would give it 6/10

The actual train is going to be used as a sprite, so I can make it move, when the player gets into it, for effects and what not.
Also, the grass is in the Prof's garden, SHe'll have Pokémon wandering that garden, I added it for the effect of simulating the wild for her Pokémon.

It's going to be rectangular and square, since that's GSC style, pretty much.

Also, you're map is alright, the sand path seems bare, and everything is too far spread.
Also, the buildings looked awfully squished. :/

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021

I would give it 6/10

my map:
This is the basically same map as i posted before, but i tried to implement The Gamecube Collectors suggestions and i also changed my tiles to wesleyfg tiles.
Spoiler:

map:
Spoiler:
Honestly the tiles you're using look pretty terrible, using a single color for both your grass and path tiles is a bad idea. The red house could use some work and the small trees/bushes don't really go with the trees either. Your tiles, particularly the ground tiles could use a lot more detail in them. Other than that the map is pretty basic, I'd try adding some more structure to the town because right now it just looks like a big field. Maybe some trees or a small pond in the middle part?

GoldenKHRP

GoldenKHRP
Years
my map:
Spoiler:
I apologise for not including the map, but I'm not allowed to post links yet since I am new here.

I like the style of this map. It looks totally different from most maps. I like the buildings. Maybe change the outline of the red building, but other than that it looks nice.
The biggest downsides are in my opinion the grass tiles. It's too empty and the grassy terrain and the path itself only has 1 color (which doesn't match the trees and flowers that well).
You can make the map much more attractive if you insert more colors and make the tiles a bit more diverse. Also, the map looks very open. Especially the bottom left part.

I'll give it a 5/10

My map:

Rom used: Fire Red
Name hack: Doesn't have a name yet

Added info:
Spoiler:

Reactions: Nex
Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
My map:

Rom used: Fire Red
Name hack: Doesn't have a name yet

Added info:
Spoiler:

Very pretty :) I really like how you've thought about the player revisiting the area, you already have secret locations for surf (and waterfall?) set up here - maybe there's more, hard to tell without events.

Your tiles look well inserted. I'm not entirely sold on all of your tiles - for instance, I think you have one too many ground-decoration tiles (or maybe just using them too frequently). Maybe one more vegetation tile would help as well.

Your paths are mostly good, I think the light-grass ones in town are a bit redundant though.

Coastline and mountains are interesting in shape, nothing is too square - it's got the right amount of variety and direction without being a plain and simple GO UP style map.

8.5/10 :)

GoldenKHRP

GoldenKHRP
Years
Very pretty :) I really like how you've thought about the player revisiting the area, you already have secret locations for surf (and waterfall?) set up here - maybe there's more, hard to tell without events.

Your tiles look well inserted. I'm not entirely sold on all of your tiles - for instance, I think you have one too many ground-decoration tiles (or maybe just using them too frequently). Maybe one more vegetation tile would help as well.

Your paths are mostly good, I think the light-grass ones in town are a bit redundant though.

Coastline and mountains are interesting in shape, nothing is too square - it's got the right amount of variety and direction without being a plain and simple GO UP style map.

8.5/10 :)

Thank you for the review. I will look into it and change some of my tiles. I forgot to mention the events (stupid me). Anyway, above the waterfall will be another map with a legendary pokemon that can be encountered post game (maybe Mewtwo).

I have one question. You said more vegetation tiles would help. Do you mean different trees/bushes or just make some variations of the already existing trees?

Years
GoldenKHRP I can't see your map :( Could you post it again?

Magic's Map: I really like your map! Personally I would have picked another colour for the flowers. Furthermore, I would remove the signpost between the pokecentre and the house and filled the space up with some trees. I don't know if you have a script or something behind the gym, but if you don't I would remove the stairs. Beautiful tree tiles btw :) 9/10

Sorry for not quoting and my english. I'm new :)

My map:
Name: Goldridge City
Rom: FR
Hack name: Doesn't have a name.

It's my first city and I want to use it in my hack as the starter city.

firekoopa

Combat the Infinite
Years
  • Seen Aug 16, 2020
Alright, let's see... 'Goldridge City'...

Hm...

First of all, there ain't even a shred of 'gold'. 0/10.

But I jest. It's actually a pretty decent map you've got there, albeit it feels incredibly busy (a rarity for a starting town). At a glance, there isn't much wrong with it. However, I do wonder - you do have the grass sorted out, right? It wouldn't cause the game to glitch out (considering this is the starter town and all)?

Anyhow, I did notice some tiling errors - mostly ledges that end with grass rather than rock.

There isn't much else that catches my eye, so I'll leave it at that.

7.5/10. Yay.

... ... ...

Anyhow, now for my thing. It's a region map ('Vaare') of my non-existing hack. I'm aware that it is a bit flat in terms of colours, but each attempt to add some depth to the picture ended up making it uglier. I'm still trying to work that out. Also, I used dots. What do you think about that? I'm planning on utilizing more dots, to signify forests and caves.

And by the way, I have not inserted this into a game yet. I'll be doing that later, once I get the different shades of green and blue sorted out...

9ZX08SQ.png

And there it is. Opinions?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back