• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: [HotM October 2009] Pokémon ToxicPurple (Team Rocket hack)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Vetty nice screenies
    interesting story line too
    be sure to move this to hacks showcase when the beta comes out
    wishing you the verrry best of lucks
    :)

The beta is already out, but i beleive she wants to wait until she is completely finished before she moves it to the hacks showcase :)

ckret2

usually pronounced "secret 2"
    Years
  • The beta is already out, but i beleive she wants to wait until she is completely finished before she moves it to the hacks showcase :)

A "beta" is a hack release with significant amount of progress. The Showcase guidelines say that a Showcase-worthy beta needs to go through the first two gyms (or, I assume, their equivalent events). The ALPHA that is currently released on the first page is considerably shorter and buggier than a BETA would be, and in any case does not meet the standards necessary to be promoted to the Showcase, i.e., does not have enough plot to go through two gym-equivalent events.

You don't move to the showcase when you're "completely finished," just when you've got enough progress that it's worth showing off as a game that's definitely got the potential to be completed and is well on its way.

Years
  • A "beta" is a hack release with significant amount of progress. The Showcase guidelines say that a Showcase-worthy beta needs to go through the first two gyms (or, I assume, their equivalent events). The ALPHA that is currently released on the first page is considerably shorter and buggier than a BETA would be, and in any case does not meet the standards necessary to be promoted to the Showcase, i.e., does not have enough plot to go through two gym-equivalent events.

You don't move to the showcase when you're "completely finished," just when you've got enough progress that it's worth showing off as a game that's definitely got the potential to be completed and is well on its way.

Oh sorry, i got confused for a sec

Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2022
    Just played the alpha. It's nice, though short, but you'll have that with an alpha. Good luck :D

ckret2

Years
  • Hey ckret2, I think I sent you a PM asking to be on the team as a MIDI composer, but I never got an answer. Do you need custom music? I could make it for you.

Sorry, I just hadn't gotten around to replying yet.

I don't think any custom music is necessary at this point. I've been planning on using the default FireRed music, with the addition of the Team Rocket song remix found on the Ruby rom. Beyond that, I don't think ToxicPurple needs any other custom music now.

As I get farther along in the hack, if I decide the game could use some other custom music, I'll let you know.

Great game! when do you thinkalpha 2 is done?

It won't be done until I've finished cleaning up the problems from alpha 1, and have finished all the trainers and scripts for Route 10, Rock Tunnel, and part of Cerulean City. I've done a lot of the problems from alpha 1, part of Route 10, and pretty much all of Rock Tunnel.

By the way, it's against the rules to ask for when a release is going to be.

ckret2

Years
  • Good news! I figured out one of the trickiest scripts I've had to make yet; as far as I know, nobody else on PokéCommunity has figured out how to do this. (And if they have, shame on them for not speaking up when I went to the Script Help thread and asked if anyone knew how to do this.)

I've finally figured out how to script it so that you can't possibly progress in the game until you've beaten--not caught, not run from, but simply beaten--a Pokémon. Scripts already exist in the game, such as the Snorlax script, but the problem with that script is that you can get Snorlax to go away if you battle it and beat it, catch it, run from it, or faint against it. I've figured out how to manipulate that script to make a battle that you cannot get pass unless you make it faint, and ONLY make it faint.

That means no more chucking Great Balls at that Marowak, folks. :P (But that Great Ball has been removed anyway.)

It also means that if I want, I can make it so that if you battle Mewtwo and then run away from the battle, it'll make fun of you. ... No, I probably won't script Mewtwo to make fun of you. But I could if I wanted to.

Samike360

Lover of May
    Years
  • ^Whoa you figured it out? Good job, I've been working on that and I coulden't do it.

Could you possible make a tutorial about it/tell us how/pm me how? It would be much appreciated.

HeartGoldnSoulSilver

is ready for the remakes.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2011
    I got it working. Finally my dream of joining team Rocket has come true. Lol.

Last edited:

ckret2

Years
  • ^Whoa you figured it out? Good job, I've been working on that and I coulden't do it.

Could you possible make a tutorial about it/tell us how/pm me how? It would be much appreciated.

I think it's too short for a tutorial, so I'll just describe it here. Here's the basic code, starting at the wildbattle:

wildbattle 0x69 0xB 0x0
    special2 0x800D 0xB4
    compare 0x800D 0x1
    if 0x1 goto @beat
    compare 0x800D 0x4
    if 0x1 goto @ranaway
    msgbox @caughtit 0x6
    release
    end

#org @ranaway
    msgbox @tryagainlater 0x6
    release
    end

#org @beat
    msgbox @youwon 0x6
    setflag 0x100
    release
    end

#org @tryagainlater
    = Maybe I'll come back later.

#org @youwon
    = Yeah! I beat it!

#org @caughtit
    = Well, I guess I caught it, huh?
    end

(I just left in the wildbattle from my level 11 Marowak script, but this isn't the exact same script I used.) The most important part is the special2. To figure out if you won the battle or not, after the wildbattle, you have to include the line "special2 0x800D 0xB4". This checks the previous wildbattle, and stores the result of that battle in the variable 0x800D.

The next lines of code check to see how the battle ended. This condition:

compare 0x800D 0x1
    if 0x1 goto @something

will check to see if you made the wild Pokémon faint. If you did make it faint, you'll be sent to @something. So, if you want to make it so that a flag is only set after you beat the Pokémon, put the setflag under @something, and the only way it'll be set is if you make the Pokémon faint. (I used 100 in the example above but I don't know whether or not 100 is a free flag, I just used it for the example. Supply your own flag as necessary.) This condition:

compare 0x800D 0x4
    if 0x1 goto @something2

will check to see if you ran away from the battle. So, I put dialogue there that will only pop up if you run away.

I don't know how to check to see if you CATCH the Pokémon (compare 0x800D 0x??), so the way this script is set up, it will assume that you caught the Pokémon if you didn't faint it or run away from it; hence, the "msgbox @caughtit 0x6" beneath the other two "compare 0x800D" conditions. I know that in the actual game, there variable "compare 0x800D 0x5" is also used, but in every script it's used it's treated the same way as 0x4 is. In other words, it also says "if 0x1 goto @something2". My hypothesis is that MAYBE 0x5 means "ran away by using Roar/Teleport/Whirlwind/Pokémon Doll," but I don't know for sure yet. To be safe, you may want to put this code:

compare 0x800D 0x5
    if 0x1 goto @something2

just to be on the safe side, since that's what the original game code does.

You can do a couple other tricks with this code too, so maybe I will do a tutorial on it at some point. :P Anyway, that should be enough explanation to get the battle to work.

Zamith

The well-known trainer (not)
    Years
  • A pretty amazing job I might say. But maybe you could put it somewhere among the tutorials This might be very useful to plenty of hacks, but is surely going to be lost forever if left only here. Especially considering this is such a popular topic!

ckret2

Years
  • A pretty amazing job I might say. But maybe you could put it somewhere among the tutorials This might be very useful to plenty of hacks, but is surely going to be lost forever if left only here. Especially considering this is such a popular topic!

I think I will make a tutorial out of this; but there's one or two other details I want to write up before I post a full tutorial. So, I'll do that first. :D

Sainthell

Look at my awesome ki power.
    Years
  • Awesome hack! good work with it. Its a pretty good hack. this hack has the potential of the win.

Turke

The Dude
    Years
  • This is a great hack! I downloaded the 1st Alpha yesterday, and I gotta say that this hack is the funnest hack I've ever played. Keep up the good work Ckret, I hope you finish this.

Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2012
    Ckret this hack and your knowledge of hacking and stuff is very good so it makes me wonder.... where did u learn to do such awesome stuff lol? surely u have some other works out there right, so can yu show us some project(s) that you have done already? lol if u dont have any and this is your first project, then yea... very impressive

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back