• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokemon Emerald : Road to a Star

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Introduction

Hello, my name is Shen, and this is the birth of a new Star! Me and my friend Aztekia decided to make a hack of a Pokemon game, as we are both big fans. Neither of us have ever done anything of the like (so we would appreciate any help people are willing to give us and join our budding company, but I believe that's for a different board?).
This is Pokemon Emerald : Road to a Star, a Pokemon hack with Wally as the main character. Theoretically, it is the first of three in a series, each with a different feel, story and main character (with Brendan/Yuki May/Haruka being the other two). In this hack, we find out what happened to Wally on his journey with Ralts.
In this story, Wally joins the Pokemon Academy (placed on the Battle Frontier Island) in his pursuit of his own strength. The finer points of the storyline still need to be fine-tuned, but expect a completely different take on the story, new characters, changes with gym leaders, a new Elite Four and anything else we can work out how to program! (Not that we know how to program half the stuff I just said... yet.)

Hack Info

Hack name : Pokemon Emerald : Road to a Star
Hack of : Pokemon Emerald
Hack Staff: Shen, Aztekia

Features

- New player Character (Wally) and starter (Ralts)
- New Storyline
- Battle Frontier replaced by Pokemon Academy
- Gym leaders now dual-type with new line-ups and Norman is the 8th leader.
- Different wild Pokemon
- Changes to Pokemon movesets (nothing major, but worth noting)
- Many new characters!

Screens
PokemonEmeraldGBA_04.png
PokemonEmeraldGBA_01.png

PokemonEmeraldGBA_03.png
PokemonEmeraldGBA_05.png

PokemonEmeraldGBA_02.png
PokemonEmeraldGBA_06.png

RaltsMoves.png
RaltsStats.png

PokemonEmeraldGBA_07.png

Wally.jpg

Development

In this section we'll just talk about what we've done so far and the like (so it obviously won't be very big at the moment).
So far we've set Wally as the main character, with a battle backsprite and overworld sprite. We've relocated the start of the game to Petalburg, and the start takes place after Haruka has helped Wally gain his Ralts and before he is supposed to move (although we couldn't get rid of the truck opening so we've explained that as best we can). We've changed a large amount of the text in Petalburg to suit Wally, and have made it so Wally can recieve his Ralts starter (we also taught it Confusion so the character can actually attack and we have removed Poochyena from the starter routes). Also, after leaving Petalburg, it will be impossible to re-enter until later in the game.
We are currently working on the Leaving scene, and playing with the route to Rustboro, and we still need to change the Trainer Card.
Also, for the sharp ones, yes we are aware that Wally leaves on his journey in Verdanturf and not Petalburg. Told you the story would be different.

Last edited:

Aztekia

As happy as a pig in sugar
Years
We may need some help making this mod, since only the two of us will ensure this mod makes slow progress, especially since we don't have much experience in this kind of thing. So if anyone wants to help, get in touch and we may allow you to help us with this mod in scripting, spriting etc.

+Sneasel™

It's a meeee, itman!
Years
From what I can see, most of this is a text edit, without editing any existing scripts or making them up...maps are the same too...not much more to say besides I would seriously consider learning some more.

adamb241

Pokémon Raging Fury
Years
Does ralts know any other moves.....it only knows growl at level 5 you know.....

Years
Read development people <_< Ralts already knows Confusion (in a fun case one almost killed the real Wally's Zigzagoon because I forgot to get rid of that particular script) AND we removed Poochyena from the starting routes.
The real point of this Hack is to get to grips with the finer points of hacking, and by making a worthwhile story at the same time (some of the stuff you see on youtube...dear god why?). I am myself starting to doubt whether it should be included in the Hack Showcase though. But it apparently qualifies.
It takes place in the same world, so most maps WILL be the same (<_<). Some parts will be remade though, mostly the bits I found boring.

GKS

Retired Hacker
Years
  • Seen Dec 23, 2013
Not only does Ralts usually have bad moves for a while, it is very weak until it is fully evolved. A Bulbasaur's total stat sum is higher than a Kirlia.

Years
I like the look of it,
Even though there is criticism above me, the hack looks like it needs more time to progress, so give it that time.
I'm pretty sure they'll make ralts good enough to be a starter.

Also, I'm curious... Will may change?
and who Replaced Wally?
and do you start in Petalburg?

Blitzballer

Sarcasm: now GMO-free.
Years
Ahhh. Now this is something I haven't seen before. It's a very cool idea and it looks like you're doing it justice. By the way, I'd be very possible to recreate the whole "capture ralts" event through scripting. Do you know how to script? I think I could help you figure that one out. Anyway, the screenshots look good. I don't see any tile errors. Now, about the moving truck...I'm not sure how you have that worked into the story, but it'd be very easy to work it in, instead of just being that you pop out of the truck. I mean after all, he is moving away right AFTER he captures ralts (I know you said you were changing the journey but...).

DiggorysGremlin

Screw Pokemon. Facepunch ftw.
Years
Okay, question time.

1. Are you including Team Magma/Aqua and having Wally defeat them? Please, just don't.
2. How are you preventing Wally from going back to petalburg after?

And a suggestion. How about you make it that you take the truck to Verdanturf, and start there? Makes more sense. It could be something like you're in the truck and the it starts to move, then you realise your craving for a pokemon, you hop out of the truck, have the Ralts catching script, and then go back in the truck and appear in Verdanturf.

I like the idea of this hack. Never something like it before besides the whole "Gary's Journey" thing.

Aztekia

As happy as a pig in sugar
Years
We might decide to add Gallade when the time comes, if we really think it is that important.

@Kawaii: If we decide to change it so we catch Ralts in the wild through a scripted battle, we will PM you, since we aren't THAT great at scripting.

Years
G.K.S : Yeah, we have increased Ralts's base stats to those similar to Torchic's, and we are going to do that for his evo's as well.

T : First off, thanks. May changes a lot (first off, I'm calling her Haruka cos I dislike the name May), and she's the pseudo-rival with a quiet nature contrary to her love of battle and powerful Pokemon. And yes, you do start in Petalburg.

Demikid : Yes we are changing his moveset!

Kawaii : I think I know how to get the Wally captures Ralts scene... I was wondering, if we could use that scene to replace the flygon intro - reckon it is possible?

~element : Yeah, I was planning to do that. Should I replace Gardevoir? The whole, gender only stone thing is a LITTLE outside our skills.

prince : Currently researching into getting rid of the gender pick thing. At the moment, it doesn't matter who you choose, you still play as Wally. He's girly enough <_<

Diggorys : Heavens no. Haruka and Yuki take out Magma/Aqua. Wally must contend with the school bullies. As for Q2, H-He can't turn back now! Basically, he's not allowed in till he has 7 badges. I like your suggestion; the current thing is, he runs from Petalburg before leaving, goes up to Rustboro, applies for the Pokemon Academy, goes ALL the way back down to Mr. Briney's, sails to slateport and takes the ferry to Pokemon Academy. I think yours is helpfully easier.

Oh yeah guys, whenever I click on compile script, the buf rite thing doesn't show up. Any clues? I want to be able to directly do something when Aztek isn't around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back