• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gotta catch 'em all?

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
Do you try and complete the PokeDex as close to 100% when playing through each game, or do you just catch whichever critters you need for the time being?

Years
  • Seen Mar 3, 2012
I haven't played a Pokemon game in a long time but when I had Yellow, Gold and Silver I reached 100% of Pokemon captured.

I will aim to do the same now I'm starting Pokemon again but after nearly a 10 year hiatus it will be a bigger challenge.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
Depends on the game and where I am at in it. R/B/Y, G/S/C, R/S/E, I usually don't even try. It's really FR/LG and the later generations that get some PokeDex lovin'.

katiekun11

I ♥ Ghost & Ice Type Pokemon!
Years
On every game I've ever played, which is all of them, I spend as much time as required in every route in order to catch every Pokemon that resides there. I won't move on from a town/route until I have caught every single Pokemon. Like at the game corner I wouldn't move on until I'd got Abra & Dratini & any others (can't remember now). I like to have many Pokemon in order to build a good team right from the beginning, & of course for that 100% complete Dex. *nods*

EB

Re: World
Years
Blue Scholars - Blink

I've never completed a Pokédex in any of the games; probably never will...

Last edited:

Juzey

I love Shaymin!!!
Years
  • Seen Sep 3, 2012
I've only ever tried once (in White) and I'm still going.

Cazzef

Pokémon Trainer
Years
I've never tried it until I finished Black, WIFI was a huge help and so was the PC community. I'm going to attempt to fill all pokedex's after Black from now on since it can be so easy at the trade corner. I don't have Black anymore, I traded it and whoever has it now must be cheering haha, so I'll have to collect them all over again in Black 2, well no biggie.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
Years
  • Age 27
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 10, 2023
On a normal run, yeah. I run around and try to make sure I don't have to go back and catch more Pokemon. Afterwards, it's all trading and transferring from game to game, so filling the PokeDex hasn't been too bad.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
It depends on the game. During my runs of Platinum and Leaf Green I did complete the Pokedex completely, and even on my first play of Soul Silver and White I threw a Pokeball at anything not currently registered in my Pokedex. But in most games I'll get too lazy to actually evolve/trade to complete the Pokedex; hence why I've only done it in those two games.

On subsequent play through runs I'll usually only catch what I absolutely need.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
If it's a new generation, I'll catch every Pokemon that I don't have. After the main game, I'll complete the region Dex. The only time I've bothered with the national dex is in White, however now I don't know if I should continue since B2W2 were announced lol.

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
Years
Depends, if it's a new game or not. I usually try to catch every Pokemon I see first, that is different. Though, I usually stop 3/4 through and give up on catching and just catch Pokemon I need.

Years
  • Seen Oct 26, 2016
I completed my regional dex on Emerald. The only thing that stops me from doing it is I'm too lazy to raise a few that reach there final evolution at a higher level. My Platinum I intend to complete my national dex on, just need some patience.

Greywyn

Ace
Years
I only did it on Blue. I'm working on it on Emerald. I want to buy Soul Silver again and get them all. I think the collecting part of the games is the most fun. It also allows for more team customization.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
I considered doing that in Sapphire when I was playing with my cousin, and we actually almost had it, I only had to catch Latias still and that was so much of a pain that I didn't go on with it haha. I do catch every Pokémon I encounter that I don't have yet, to prevent myself from having to catch up later on in case I ever want to complete my Pokédex anyway.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I have never completed the Pokedex before in previous games but for White I've decided that I'm gonna complete it. WI-Fi and forums like PC and Bulbagarden make it much easier. I'm also working on completing it in FireRed and HeartGold as much as I can without cheating. Since I can't get any event Pokemon though it won't be fully completed. FireRed is gonna take a while cause I need to get a GBA SP and a GBA to trade between FR , Emerald and Sapphire.

Years
I completed my pokedex on Gold. I had 250, but for me it felt like I didn't have them all because I didn't have Celebi, lol. I remember Hitmontop and Umbreon being the last ones I needed..

Antisocial.

Pokémon Trainer
Years
Well, usually I just catch whatever Pokémon I want on my official team, no more. If I do catch something in between, it's going to be either shiny or a hell of a lot better than one of the Pokés I have and of the same type. Then, after I've beaten the Pokémon League and done whatever else is necessary (in some cases, beating them again), then I fly back to Pallet or Twinleaf or Littleroot or whatever it is, and catch every Pokémon from beginning to end.

Years
  • Seen Mar 12, 2012
I usually just catch Pokemon I need, I think the biggest pokedex I had was blue at mid 70s

Back