• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Wiicked Cool Daily Chit-Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I'm just a stranger, but happy birthday Morkula.
    People really complain about connectivity?
    That's not as bad as some of the other stuff I see. I've always been a single player/local multiplayer guy so it never bothered me. Really, you'll see complaints about anything.

I especially see "trial and error" used as a complaint for games like Dark Souls and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze which can get funny. Reminds me of this comic
    Spoiler:

And of course, I even saw a complaint about 60fps.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • I miss the days when games were purposely hard. The original Donkey Kong Country games were very difficult at times and despite getting frustrated at dying often, those times when you finally beat a hard level were truly great. I don't really get that often with games anymore and that's unfortunate.

I do see the value in games being easier for the sake of immersion of story though. Plenty of games are easy, but the story is so fantastic that you don't mind rushing through some portions to simply get to that next key scene.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Artificial difficulty is way harder to detect than people make it out to be - just like the comic, one person's artificial difficulty is another person's logical outcome. If I've played a lot of games like that, I would know to look out for traps. But if I hadn't, it would seem like there was no way to know that it was coming and thus like trial-and-error gameplay. I play a lot of things in a trial-and-error way not because they're artificially difficult, but because I'm just not versed enough in the franchise or genre to know what to look for.

Years
  • I'm just a stranger, but happy birthday Morkula.

That's not as bad as some of the other stuff I see. I've always been a single player/local multiplayer guy so it never bothered me. Really, you'll see complaints about anything.

I especially see "trial and error" used as a complaint for games like Dark Souls and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze which can get funny. Reminds me of this comic
    Spoiler:

And of course, I even saw a complaint about 60fps.

You know, you would think with the pedigree DkS has established, people would be less YOLO...how do these guys even get into the series like this? :v

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • And of course, I even saw a complaint about 60fps.
    No, see, that's what we should be talking about. The 60 FPS complaint of today is the "high-end graphics, 1080p" argument of yesterday. Seriously, I can't tell you how many people I've seen question 60 FPS game as if it were the only factor that decided whether one would purchase something or not. It's basically the argument for the "graphics wh---" of Eigth Gen.

And I'm all for smooth gameplay. Really, I am. Since the PS4 and Xbone were announced, it seems like arguments have shifted from smooth graphics to smooth gameplay (in terms of FPS, actually worrying about the gameplay would be silly), which is something considering, prior to Generation 8, no one seemed to care about FPS. Not the average gamer, at least. Now there's the compulsive need to have 60 FPS.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I just get on with it and play games that I like, so long as they run acceptably. Not that much effort is required with a GTX-level card, mind you.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • I just get on with it and play games that I like, so long as they run acceptably. Not that much effort is required with a GTX-level card, mind you.
    Well I'm more referring to Console Gaming and the whole "30 FPS vs 60 FPS" debacle. 60 FPS is one of the features that the 8th gen consoles boasted prior to release, so naturally people took up arms and started using it against fans of rival consoles.

Also, on an unrelated note, Sierra Games, notable for their Space Quest and Kings Quest series, among others, has recently been reborn!

This may be one of those cases where the wish has fallen on a monkey's paw, though. We'll see.

Last edited:
    Years
  • No, see, that's what we should be talking about. The 60 FPS complaint of today is the "high-end graphics, 1080p" argument of yesterday. Seriously, I can't tell you how many people I've seen question 60 FPS game as if it were the only factor that decided whether one would purchase something or not. It's basically the argument for the "graphics wh---" of Eigth Gen.

And I'm all for smooth gameplay. Really, I am. Since the PS4 and Xbone were announced, it seems like arguments have shifted from smooth graphics to smooth gameplay (in terms of FPS, actually worrying about the gameplay would be silly), which is something considering, prior to Generation 8, no one seemed to care about FPS. Not the average gamer, at least. Now there's the compulsive need to have 60 FPS.

Ehh...I'm on the fence. I mean we're getting to the point where consoles are becoming closer to the specs of computers now. So I can see some of these arguments having merit, especially in the case of some games. I still cringe any time I turn on Gran Turismo 6 on and I get like 30FPS tops. Does it ruin my experience? No. Do I wish it were smoother for the purpose of gaming? Yes. Do I need EVERY game to blast 60? Not really, since I can understand why it isn't possible sometimes. That doesn't mean they can't shoot for it.

But for the most part as long as the game is smooth and not skipping like a broken record and it doesn't look choppy to all hell, I can accept a game not being 60FPS all the time. If the PS4 tried to force FFXIV to run 60 all the damned time, I'm pretty sure I'd be filing a claim for warranty.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    For the most part, going for 60fps is a design choice more than anything. It doesn't really have to do with hardware power considering that 60fps were more common in the weaker consoles. Granted, framerate is sacrificed for more graphical power, but it's the developer's choice to decide whether 60fps can be beneficial to the game's design, or if it's simply not worth it.

I'm probably not making much sense here but eh.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    It's more annoying when some people try to force 60 FPS on everyone, though. You never know on the Internet. Then again, on the Internet, everything is exaggerated.

I'm content with locking games to 30 FPS and cranking everything as high as they can get, seeing as I'm not here to play a pale imitation of a game.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • You know, I'm not following Gamescom. It's going on, but I hadn't really considered actually watching it. That said, it's a little...jarring that Sony didn't do anything for the Vita. Reason being, they did nothing for E3, too. And there are games for it, certainly, but I feel a little annoyed that they almost seem to disregard the Vita and treat it as a side-project, which seems to be even more the case when you consider that they renamed the Vita TV "Playstation TV" and are mainly boasting its compatibility with the other home consoles and not...you know...that it's a Vita.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • I haven't been paying much attention either. I've never found it to be a big deal and figure I'll read about whatever is announced later. E3 is sort of the only gaming convention/event I pay attention to day-by-day. The others I feel I can read about later on.

I think the Vita, to Sony, is nothing more than a peripheral item for the Playstation brand now. They are all-but-confirming it.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    Gamescon has reveals, but its nowhere as big as E3. But only as an event. Gamewise it could be bigger. I mean holy ****, Silent Hill by Kojima and Guillermo Del Toro? With Norman Reedus as the MC? All my wants, all day long!

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • Gamescon has reveals, but its nowhere as big as E3. But only as an event. Gamewise it could be bigger. I mean holy ****, Silent Hill by Kojima and Guillermo Del Toro? With Norman Reedus as the MC? All my wants, all day long!

Yeah. I'm not a huge horror game fan, but that reveal was pretty awesome. I would love to see more directors try their hands at game creation/direction. I think if this is a success, it could lead to more recognition for what video game stories bring to the table artistically.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • For casual gamers that is ;)
    For otaku, it's still the most important console ;)

Eh, thanks, thread o.O
    And that's the problem. For cas- Well, not casuals, exactly, it applies to everyone, really.

When a system relies on niche (and I mean niche and not specifically Japanese) games to sell its console, projected sales will be sporadic because they are so varied in their target audience. You're not going to find a lot of people who are shallow enough to buy something because it has cute characters or is Japanese (well, the former can be a legitimate interest, but the latter is undoubtedly shallow), people want games that are fun for them to play, and that requires accessibility.

For instance, something like Persona 4 (surprisingly) is accessible (other accessible titles include games like Tearaway, Uncharted, and Gravity Rush). It was given a good bit of coverage and gamers from all walks that happened to have a Vita could play it. But then you take something like...Hyperdimension Neptunia, and it's sales are never going to reach the heights of Persona 4 because it's not nearly as accessible. Then take something like Disgaea, which is a popular franchise, but also the same deal.

Then you have to take into consideration that someone who likes Disgaea doesn't have much reason to like Hyperdimension Neptunia, and one who likes HDN isn't inclined to like Danganronpa, and one who liked Danganronpa isn't inclined to like Sword Art Online, because they're all different games with very different potential audiences and playstyles. This essentially turns the Vita into a "A system that appeals to everyone appeals to no one" scenario because there are few games like the aforementioned on the system, thus making it a common case where someone will say, "Well I want the Vita, but I only want it for X".

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back