• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Wiicked Cool Daily Chit-Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    Naming succession doesn't do bumpkis in terms of sales, no matter the circumstantial evidence. The PS4 is selling cause of proper marketing, the XBO isn't because of the hot bed of 180s(At this point the number of em being done has literally led the console to be the XBox 720 in the end!) and the Wii U is well....the Wii U. Even if it was the Wii 2 ultra extreme casual edition, it wouldn't sell, because the market Nintendo created in 2006 is the market that has led to mobile game(which in itself is a scary outcome, as in hindsight Nintendo created the monster).

Speaking of sales, despite Nintendo's shortcomings this gen, I think next gen will be quite different. A universal OS across several hardware options with a huge selection of games could be spectacular if done right, and would work much better from a gaming company then from the likes of Apple(Android is still getting the shaft, so I don't quite see it as major of a competitor as Apple). I literally can see Nintendo becoming the direct competitor to Apple next gen if they play their cards right on the digital front, and hell I can see a lot more mobile games being ported to the platform.

Nathan

Blade of Justice
    Years
  • It may be in the end, but right now it's not. Wii U currently is the best value with the best library. Long-term maybe not.

About best library, I'd say it depends on what kind of games you prefer. Wii U is lacking some good multi-platform titles too. Too bad the devs seem to neglect it or maybe it's Nintendo's fault? Idk

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • It may be in the end, but right now it's not. Wii U currently is the best value with the best library. Long-term maybe not.
    Because it has Mario Kart? Not really.
    You pretty much won't find other Wii U game that is in talks than Mario Kart 8.
    On PS4, there's Watch_Dogs, The Last of Us Remastered, newest Wolf, newest Infamous.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    Its Nintendo's fault mainly, but I think their anti-mobile stance is causing a major boycott amongst the major publishers. And, yes, objectively Nintendo's console does have the best value for money. You got the Wii U's line up, the eShop, the Virtual Console, and then the Wii backlog on top of it.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • Because it has Mario Kart? Not really.
    On PS4, there's Watch_Dogs, The Last of Us Remastered, newest Wolf, newest Infamous.
    One great game does not make a console.

• Bayonetta 1 & 2
    • Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
    • Child of Light
    • Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut
    • Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
    • DuckTales: Remastered
    • Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition
    • A Hat in Time
    • Hyrule Warriors
    • The Legend of Zelda for Wii U
    • Mario Kart 8
    • Mighty No. 9
    • Mighty Switch Force: Hyper Drive Edition
    • NES Remix (1 / 2 / Pack)
    • New Super Mario Bros. U (and New Super Luigi U)
    • Nintendoland
    • Pikmin 3
    • Shantae: Half-Genie Hero
    • Shovel Knight
    • Splatoon
    • Super Mario 3D World
    • Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
    • The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD
    • The Wonderful 101
    • Toki Tori (and 2+)
    • Trine Enchanted Edition (and Trine 2 Director's Cut)
    • Yoshi's Wooly World

They're not all Nintendo titles. Some aren't release yet. A good portion of them are eShop titles or not exclusive. But they're all games that, even if not by Nintendo, feel like they belong on a Nintendo platform. It's like a current-gen NES or SNES lineup (minus the JRPGS, unfortunately). They're fun games that don't take themselves too seriously.

Its Nintendo's fault mainly, but I think their anti-mobile stance is causing a major boycott amongst the major publishers. And, yes, objectively Nintendo's console does have the best value for money. You got the Wii U's line up, the eShop, the Virtual Console, and then the Wii backlog on top of it.
    How would Nintendo not producing content for tablets and smartphones upset third parties who do?

Wouldn't the third parties prefer not to compete against a Mario or Pokémon title? O_o

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Because it has Mario Kart? Not really.
    But only one of those is an exclusive...so it's not really that different from using Mario Kart as a solitary reason.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    Triforce, its all in the mindset created for shareholders. They want Nintendo games on smartphones, they don't, and they get upset. Same shareholders likely own stocks in other gaming companies or would like to. They would likely back out of said 3rd paties if they show support, of the "bad company" thus the lack of support. Sounds crazy, but I can see those mental gymnastics being done.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Triforce, its all in the mindset created for shareholders. They want Nintendo games on smartphones, they don't, and they get upset.

That second sentence makes literally no sense. Those first two clauses mean "they want X, they don't want X". Can you clarify?

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    Shareholders want it and don't get it so they get upset. Its what I said.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Grammar lesson: that's not what you said. In the absence of a an object to what they "don't", grammatically the last clause's object is used, in this case "want it", so what you said was "they want it, they don't want it", not "they want it, they don't get it." Just for future reference so you can be understood!

That being said, can you provide anything that shows that this is the case? I've never heard a theory about Nintendo being left out of cross-platform games due to not having Nintendo games on smartphones and tablets.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • That being said, can you provide anything that shows that this is the case? I've never heard a theory about Nintendo being left out of cross-platform games due to not having Nintendo games on smartphones and tablets.
    Yeah, I'd agree. If anything, of the systems, smartphone/tablet developers see Nintendo as an attractive porting option due to ease of development and low costs.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • Triforce, its all in the mindset created for shareholders. They want Nintendo games on smartphones, they don't, and they get upset. Same shareholders likely own stocks in other gaming companies or would like to. They would likely back out of said 3rd paties if they show support, of the "bad company" thus the lack of support. Sounds crazy, but I can see those mental gymnastics being done.
    Oh yes, for sure that's the mentality of the shareholders.

But shareholders aren't third party publishers and developers.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    No they aren't, but a business is a business. If the shareholders hold a certain mindset, its certain a similar one will be held by the publishers. Its probably decided that there is no reason to support Nintendo at the moment, as they don't produce the necessary hardware sales to justify it. Even then, the support would be what we saw on the Wii, or what we have now. It was easy to produce shovelware on an SD console in 2008, but not so with an HD console.

On a sidenote, the whole "going to smartphone" argument is ridiculous. Its short-term, and will do nothing to help Nintendo. The funny thing is that people thing Nintendo riding the current tech wave will help em, when we're in the middle of a generation of hardware that's selling poorly because of short-term design philosophy. The 3DS was designed with the the 2010 market trend of 3D is the future, and the Wii U in 2011 when Tablet's were still largely an at home thing, and could be played off of that. Nintendo and short-term don't mix well, and its utterly shocking that no one can realize that.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    The 3DS isn't selling badly at all. o_O I wouldn't put that forward as proof that they have the wrong design philosophy because the 3DS is wildly popular.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    Right. I think I should have worded that better. Yes its selling greatly, but its nowhere near the best selling Nintendo handheld. They had to massively drop the price, severely downplay the major feature of the handheld, and in general market it much differently then they had from the beginning. Its conception was majorly short-term, no matter what sales are right now. And in the end, its still going to come up short to the rest of the Nintendo Handhelds, not just the DS.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I've just finished Final Fantasy VIII last night. For some reason, the story in that game is extremely engaging.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • No they aren't, but a business is a business. If the shareholders hold a certain mindset, its certain a similar one will be held by the publishers.
    For the life of me I cannot fathom why a third party publisher would be bothered that Nintendo isn't making games for smart phones and other mobile devices. This does not in any way hinder the third party's ability to make games for those platforms, and it hasn't. If anything, it's beneficial for them as they're not competing against Nintendo games.

You're combining two problems that Nintendo has right now

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    Its not they're bothered by em not doing so, they could honestly not give a damn. Its the fact that certain decisions including the denial of smartphones leads to a general perception of the company that they likely do not want to be associated with.

In other news, HD Resident Evil just got confirmed. GET HYPED.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back