• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Why do people hate B/W so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Probably because of the new pokemon designs and the fact that it was released on the DS rather than the 3DS and therefore could have been a stronger better game.

But I like it, the protagonist designs are really good (but their names are...just plain bad in English, I just call them Black and White), the story is deeper than it's ever been, N and Team Plasma were very interesting, I completely understand their cause (or N's at least) and it made sense.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
Years
  • Seen Apr 27, 2020
I don't really hate B/W, it's just that in comparison to the other games, it's not really that good. The game is very short, and it lacks a lot of general things which made the other games exciting, like exploration. There is hardly any sea to explore, and the map already provides you the way you should be going, which was very disappointing imo. I think I'd say that D/P/Pt were one of the best games, even though I didn't like the generation that much. Also, I dislike gen 5 even more, some Pokémon designs are just ridiculous. And it also has too many overpowered Pokémon, it's not compensated.

Years
It seems like all the Haters are a vocal minority. B/W can't suck that much if it's the fastest selling Pokemon game of all time and one of the top DS games of all time either. Let's not forget Famitsu's perfect score, either.

cazzler

Feraligatr FtW!
Years
Yeah, theres not really that much haters, I think they hate since they just can't let go of the old Pokemon of the past, or can't except the changes to this game and the Pokemon inside it. I used to be like that, but once you play, you can't stop! XD

Musashi

Nope, that's not me
Years
I think it's because some people don't like the designs and because they don't like change. Personally, I love Black and White the most out of the main series (and I grew up on Red/Blue/Yellow).

Beloved

Fictionally Destructive
Years
I can think of a few reasons why B/W are hated so much.

1. The new "battle systems" are limited in there encounters. Add in the fact that they are highly confusing leads to not being able to understand how a lvl 25 Garbador took out a lvl 50 Reshiram.

2. A lot of the Pokemon are unattractive or unimaginative. I mean, Garbage for a Pokemon? An ice cream cone for a Pokemon? What happens if I mistake Garbador for garbage and throw him out? Or if I mistake Vanillite for my vanilla ice cream cone?

3. You have to beat the Elite 4, TWICE, to get the title. Not once, like in all the other games, but twice. Why not just give it to us after beating N?

4. The Rival's name is N. Not Ein, just N.

5. They implemented seasons, they make it a big deal, and then they do nothing with it. Wow, so Sawbuck changes colors and types. Big deal that some Pokemon are easier to find in the Fall than in the Spring. What about Events? What about contests? I can think of many things to do with the Seasons cycle!

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 27, 2017
People just say they don't like the game because it introduces new Pokemon instead of having the original ones they loved and remembered. All because people let their nostalgia for the originals go over their head, they refuse to even give the new ones a chance. I see this all the time with series that try to introduce new characters (like the new Donkey Kong for instance, or Windwaker for Zelda fans). Some people just can't stand change even if it's for the better.

zlip

______
Years
  • Seen Aug 8, 2013
Some older fans who have played the series will se that almost all the pokemon are remakes of older pokemon. (Buffalant-Tauros etc) but I really haven't seen too many people hating on BW though. Another reason those that do not like is because of how long Gen 4 was (4 years!) they expected something better. (Though personally I disagree) Along the lines of other peoples' ideas: Unoriginal designs, unattartive designs, no nostalgic feeling.

Years
Easy,B/W cant be played on a emulator

Except that it can.

Black/White is a good game, but the reason people dislike it is... there are several. I'm not pointing them out because I want to say only bad things. I sort of like White version. It has a great story, and rotation battles are fun. Anyway...

1) the moving camera tends to misbehave, and even at the best of times it does a great job of exposing the low-resolution artwork for the pixellated mess it is.

2) the environment is not nearly as well put together as somewhere like Sinnoh and just feels like it was thrown together in a few days.

3) There are no proper move tutors.

4) There's no battle frontier either, and Pt/HG/SS has spoilt us on them.

5) The post-game activity (find the Sages) is tedious and there is no real satisfaction to be gained in completing it.

6) Pokemon don't follow you around like in HG/SS.

7) Musicals are nowhere near as good as other activities such as Pokeathlon. It's fun to put a straw hat on Kyurem but even that doesn't make up for the lacklustre gameplay.

8) The Dream World looked nice at first but it soon becomes evident for the shallowly disguised grind-athon it really is. And those overpowered "dream world abilities"? You don't really get anything impressive. A Ponyta with Flame Body is probably the best thing you'll find. Compared to the Pokewalker, it's like the complete opposite. It encourages you to slouch around in front of a computer screen, and reminds you that to get your Pokemon you're now playing Flash games designed for five-year-olds.

9) HG/SS was just better in every way except that Snivy isn't in it. Which I suppose is a big deal. And of course, the bland story of GSC versus the surprisingly good character story of BW.

Years
  • Seen May 4, 2023
I think it's because people can't use their favorite pokemon at the start of the game and they have known the older pokemon for so long they just get used to them. I think it's better to pick out the positives rather than the negatives of the game because it helps to enjoy it more, I really love the random battles you can have without needing any friend codes and the trading seems to be a little faster. I think they needed new pokemon so that people who are bored with the old one can enjoy learning about the new ones.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
I'm gonna chalk it up to having all new Pokemon and no way to get the old favorites until after the postgame. The postgame was also disappointing (you don't even get to battle the sages) and lots of features were left out. B/W felt like a step backward for me, and others I've talked to feel the same way. The new Pokemon just aren't as memorable and don't make as big an impact as ones from previous generations.

From what I've heard, the fact that no old Pokemon are available is what makes B/W a whole different animal than, say, R/S or D/P as far as the reaction to new Pokemon.

Jovi

schadenfreude
Years
  • Seen May 6, 2012
Every time I see someone hating on BW, it's because he/she doesn't like the designs of the Pokemon and the fact you can't pick any of their favorites until post-game. Seldom do I see someone hating on anything else in the game.

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
Years
Except that it can.

Black/White is a good game, but the reason people dislike it is... there are several. I'm not pointing them out because I want to say only bad things. I sort of like White version. It has a great story, and rotation battles are fun. Anyway...

1) the moving camera tends to misbehave, and even at the best of times it does a great job of exposing the low-resolution artwork for the pixellated mess it is.

2) the environment is not nearly as well put together as somewhere like Sinnoh and just feels like it was thrown together in a few days.

3) There are no proper move tutors.

4) There's no battle frontier either, and Pt/HG/SS has spoilt us on them.

5) The post-game activity (find the Sages) is tedious and there is no real satisfaction to be gained in completing it.

6) Pokemon don't follow you around like in HG/SS.

7) Musicals are nowhere near as good as other activities such as Pokeathlon. It's fun to put a straw hat on Kyurem but even that doesn't make up for the lacklustre gameplay.

8) The Dream World looked nice at first but it soon becomes evident for the shallowly disguised grind-athon it really is. And those overpowered "dream world abilities"? You don't really get anything impressive. A Ponyta with Flame Body is probably the best thing you'll find. Compared to the Pokewalker, it's like the complete opposite. It encourages you to slouch around in front of a computer screen, and reminds you that to get your Pokemon you're now playing Flash games designed for five-year-olds.

9) HG/SS was just better in every way except that Snivy isn't in it. Which I suppose is a big deal. And of course, the bland story of GSC versus the surprisingly good character story of BW.

4) Never has the Battle Frontier been in the first two versions. It's always been in the third version/the remakes.

5) Well, that's not really that big of an issue. It will probably be expanded upon in the third game too.

6) Yeah, that was a little disappointing I guess.

7) That one is true. They should give us a choice between entering that/contests/pokeathlon.

Although, from what I've seen, heard, and read so far, people LOVED it when it first came out, but after a while they start to come up with things that they themselves could have come up with to make the new things better. Mind you that perhaps GameFreak didn't capture the entire world all at once and stuff it onto a tiny little game card.
Be happy that they even implemented anything new, and don't complain about how it could have been better. You try to create something new for Pokemon and not forget a single possibility and make the game completely perfect while not disappointing a single living soul. Really, get over it. Perhaps it will be implemented later on, perhaps not. At least it's something.
GameFreak could of course just not make any Pokemon games. That should solve all the problems, right? Would you prefer new things along with the old things, things that are phenomonal, until you get used to it and want something better, or would you prefer that there be no Pokemon at all? You pick.

Sorry if any of that sounded harsh in any way, but it can get rather annoying with everybody complaining every generation about how it could have been better.

M4

Freedom of teh speech!!!!!!!!!
Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Feb 5, 2013
It lacks the Pokemon utopia feeling in the old games.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
Years
In fairness probably 85% of those that hate this generation are probably nostalgia-ridden. Other 15%? I'd give "credit" to "childish-looking" (as many say) designs and lack of creativity in select few pokemon such as that ice cream evo line. I have to admit, I thought it was pathetic and I still sometimes do think so. That dumb smiles on their faces probably didn't help either.

Khall

Permafrost
Years
Most of the people hating on B/W are the people who won't get their head out of the generation I-II days.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
Mainly because the games were a step backwards from HG/SS, gameplay-wise. HG/SS had an expansive postgame and a good roster of Pokemon that mixed true classics with newer evolutions, and B/W barely had a postgame, and it had only about 150 Pokemon(not including legendaries). Plus, the hype about the story causes people to hate the game. Really, when you get right down to it, the story isn't that impressive. Sure, by Pokemon standards it's not bad, but compared to other RPGs such as any of the Tales games or some of the non-cliche Final Fantasies it gets massacred. Yes girls, I know you think N is "HAWT!!!111" but that doesn't make a good character. Insipid "Ferris Wheel Shipping" does not make a character. Back to topic, the obligatory nostalgic fans don't like the new Pokemon much, and the region is really bad, especially compared to places like the Japan-inspired Johto and the tropical Hoenn.

phonastik

Strange Quark
Years
I think that another reason is that the game spoonfeeds you a lot. I remember sitting around in Celadon City for months because I didn't know what to do, and having to go through Mt Moon with no revives and 4 potions because that's all I could afford. In Black and White, whenever you turn a corner someone wants to heal your Pokemon and people tell you exactly what to do next.

Don't get me wrong, I did love Black and White, but they seemed a lot simpler than the older games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back