• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Why do people hate B/W so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    I think we get a lot of "Nintendo is running out of creative ideas" because they went from simple rats and cats to garbage dumpster Pokémon and ice cream cones. Still I tend to disagree because there are quite a few Pokémon in this generation that are creative such as Reuniclus and its pre-evolutions, Scolipede, Leavanny, Krookodile and so much more. It's all opinion-based though, and since many live on the past Pokémon from past generations and all the nostaglia, all this hate occurs. I agree @SolWolf, a lot of the people just don't like change.

There's always some reason for the dislikes though, with some being at least reasonable. n_n;

Musharna

~random artist appeared~
    Years
  • I really liked it, but yeah, you can't please all so of course there are people who hate it. Probably the new pokemon and just the fact that the old ones are often the best for those who have played for a long time.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • I really dont know any person in real life that hates these games because they are amazing but they probably hate it because of the saying "old is better" but in reality they should just move on

:t354:TG

Rio448

Hoenn Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2012
    People don't like it because it's so different. Just look at Ruby and Saphire, people hated that game so much when it first came out because it was so different from GSC. Dont worry the community will get over it, even though I think the third version could have some old pokemon before the national dex.

リザードン☆

Charizard evolved into..
    Years
  • It is possible that others were expecting a lot more out of a fifth generation of Pokémon than what they were given.
    It could be a certain storyline,
    Pokémon(s) overall design or the fact that Pokémon Black and White is just new and some may have trouble accepting change for me however it isn't a problem.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
  • It's because nothing can ever compare to precious childhood memories of Pokemon Red/Blue. No matter what Nintendo and Game Freak do, people are still going to criticise them because they are so locked up in their memories, they can't see the wonderfulness of Pokemon Black and White.

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    Well, for me, it's one of my lesser favorite games. But that's not hard to be in. I'm an Elitist. In saying that, I just believe the original games are better than the rest just because they're the original and played a large part in my childhood and the ones I remember being most obsessed about. The game itself isn't bad, but it isn't one that I like to pick up anymore. Pokemon is something that's always been something I found fun when there are things to do. After you've done everything, it gets boring fast. And since there's very, very little you can do after you beat the game, its gets boring very, very fast. The plot is interesting, and the different approach to the games is interesting as well, but I'll take a Gameboy Color and a Yellow cartridge any day.

IceSage

Sage of Ice
    Years
  • Reasons why I personally dislike Black/White:

Cons:
    • 90% of the Pokemon are butt ugly.
    • 90% of the Pokemon are more uncreative than normal. (Example: An icecream cone that looks like an icecream cone, that evolves into and even uglier ice cream cone.)
    • Removed or Gimped Features: Ribbons, etc.
    • Was released too close to HeartGold & SoulSilver... Which was a far superior game.
    • Did not have the ability to walk with your Pokemon. My favorite feature in a Pokemon game ever.
    • Boxes can only have 4 numbers in them. (For no explained reason.)
    • The GTS is still the same GTS, and still sucks. (No USEFUL new searching features.)
    • The GTS still has the same problems as before. (Able to put up impossible trades, used for cloning.)
    • Pokemon names can be censored now... But you still can't publicly show your Pokemon's names via public WiFi battles, so this is pointless.
    • Speaking of which, they overlooked Cofagrigus' name and made it impossible to trade for awhile without renaming it.
    • Extremely limited box space.
    • Lacks any new motive or plot.
    • Lacks mystery for any extra or legendary Pokemon. (Hell, you're GIVEN a Legendary.)
    • The only way to acquire berries is via the Dreamworld, which in it's own right, takes forever to maintain.
    • The importing system is even more of a pain to use. Why must I play a game to transfer my Pokemon?
    • Lacks Pokewalker compatibility. (They could have shipped a new Pokewalker, or even thought ahead and made the original Pokewalker capable of having Gen V Pokemon.) This basically made the Pokewalker short-lived in the mainstream.
    • The graphics are horrendous. Just because it shows some 3D aspects does not mean the graphics are "amazing." I feel like I'm playing Paper Mario sometimes.
    • Lacks things to do once you beat the game. All 3 extra areas are boring and uninteresting as hell.
    • Black City / White Forest is the worst idea ever. I shouldn't have to populate my city just to buy a Leaf Stone at inflated prices.
    • Can't customize Wi-Fi Battle Rules... even between friends. (What ever happened to Level 50 all? Nope! Sorry! Can't pick that! Oh! What do you mean I can't use Mewtwo to battle my friend in China!?)
    • Bag Organization is terrible. (What happened to slots for Pokeballs, etc?)

Pros:

• Slightly faster battles.
    • Random & Ranked WiFi Battles (Something that I thought was left out in previous games that I consider superior to this one. If I wanted to randomly battle someone online, I would have had to setup Pokemon Battle Revolution... Which was a terrible game in itself.)
    • A "classic" feel to it. When I say this, I basically mean they setup Black & White to be almost like a reboot of Red & Green/Blue. Forcing you to only catch the new Pokemon was kind of unique.
    • Game Sync - While it could have been expanded upon greatly, it was nice to see a new feature to use with the internet, and online based profiles.
    • Updated Box Interface - I found it easier to arrange and swap my Pokemon using the Move Pokemon option in my PC. The drag and drop interface design is the way it should have been in previous DS Pokemon games. (IE. I don't have to press MOVE to enabling drag and drop of Pokemon.)
    • Entralink - I thought it was cool to be able to visit your friends game. A feature I've always wanted in Pokemon! However, they severely ruined and cheapened it by limited what you can do, and what the purpose of Entralink is. I don't want to go on missions to give temporary powers to friends! I want to walk alongside them and battle with them! I would have enjoyed being able to talk to my friend I'm connected to while they're battling in the field, and then peek in on the battle as they're playing the game. Instead, I get the message that your friend is "Busy right now" or something of the sort.

On the fence:

• Reusable TMs - I still haven't determined if this is something good or not. While I do enjoy being able to teach multiple Pokemon my favorite moves without buying the TM or trading for it... I feel as if being able to learn a new TM at any point in the game cheapens the strategy of Pokemon and what moves to teach each one. (There should have been a realtime cooldown period on when you could reteach a Pokemon a move. Otherwise, at any point I could swap out moves back and forth between battles on the go.)

...In the process of trying to think of Pros, I actually thought of more cons. I'm probably even forgetting some things. It's been awhile since I've played Pokemon Black.

Also, a lot of people are saying that they don't like that it's "new." That's not the case for me at all. I LOVE new Pokemon games. What I don't like is when a Pokemon game that's suppose to be "new" feels like I'm playing something far inferior to even Diamond and Pearl. (I expected more out of a Gen V Pokemon game after playing HeartGold & SoulSilver.)

Last edited:

macska8800

Team Espeon Leader
    Years
  • i like both White and Black
    in Team Espeon nobody hate Black or White
    if someone hate Black or White i think they not like Nitendo Ds or custom effects.
    but there is a good feature that removed : walk with your pokémon.
    so Black/White have new features that good but some old good features removed.

Last edited:

Raitenau

Story Writter
    Years
  • I agree with some people here. I personally hate 90% of the new Pokémon. They are so uninteresting. I would prefer new Evolution and new Pre-Evolutions. Dunsparce for example. I don't like the pixelated Pokémon from the battles, and yes, that is ugly :s
    Triple battles? I don't like it either, the screen gets completely full of Pokémons >.>

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • The same reason everyone hates everything new everywhere.
    To explain...

There is a phenomenon; when you're playing video games, roleplaying, or /whatever/ where you tend to grow out of it after variable time. A /lot/ of people don't seem to realize that they've grown out of their hobby. To them, it gets easier and easier to call everything "unoriginal" and get tired of the "same old thing". (The time it takes to grow out of something is highly variable depending on the person)

They are the cynics. They are the pessimists. They are stereotypically older. The worst part is that they don't realize that it's not something wrong with the game or it's creators, that the problem is in fact with them.

They deserve naught but your pity, for it is truly a sad fate to grow out of something great. One cannot simply un-grow out of something. Once they do it, they're stuck there. It is through their own lack of knowledge regarding how they've grown out of said hobby that you find them preaching about "X is dead" "X is more unoriginal than ever" etcetera as if anyone who hasn't grown out of the hobby should understand them.

My apologies to anyone who may take offense. Our culture currently struggles with the idea of originality, and so in fact a great majority of people are prone to these sorts of problems. It's not really anyone's fault.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    I really don't understand why there are people that hate B/W, short of someone who's not into this sort of thing. Some of them claim that the devs are running out of ideas for new Pokémon, & that it shows in this game. I frankly disagree with that, for the most part.

The other thing is, B/W has a couple of features that I've found to be a godsend.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • - No follow-me feature
    - No VS. Seeker
    - Bag organization is wonky
    - People dislike the Pokemon
    - People bought Black and are disappointed that there are no wild Petilil

There are a lot of reasons people don't like it. I don't think it's as hated as DP though, oh God. BW is faster and more efficient than DP. I personally love BW and have played through them a total of...I wanna say 10 times, in a little over a year. To each their own really, though. I mean, someone might be reading this and be thinking "omg no DP is flawless." -shrug- Just comes down to a matter of opinion. I think it's generally loved though, especially compared to DP (excluding Platinum here) and RSE.

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
    Years
  • I think people just don't like the 5th gen pokemon. My self I own pokemon black but I will never use a 5th generation. I only use 4th Gen and under pokemon on my team and collection. I really only own pokemon black for the new region, features and graphics. If not i could of just keep using Pokemon soulsilver, Which I am infact thinking about doing.

The 5th gen pokemon just don't seem like pokemon at all, they make me think of just items from real life that they turned into pokemon. They just don't give the same vibs that Gen 1 gave.

Hopefully in a few years when Gen 6 comes out they will be back on track if not ill be sticking to Gen 4 and under forever.

Years
  • - No follow-me feature
    - No VS. Seeker
    - Bag organization is wonky
    - People dislike the Pokemon
    - People bought Black and are disappointed that there are no wild Petilil

There are a lot of reasons people don't like it. I don't think it's as hated as DP though, oh God. BW is faster and more efficient than DP. I personally love BW and have played through them a total of...I wanna say 10 times, in a little over a year. To each their own really, though. I mean, someone might be reading this and be thinking "omg no DP is flawless." -shrug- Just comes down to a matter of opinion. I think it's generally loved though, especially compared to DP (excluding Platinum here) and RSE.

But remember, in Nacrene City you can trade a Cottonee for a Petilil.

In White, the trade is a Petilil for Cottonee.

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
  • I am still a little confused on why they appear to be going back and taking out the most useful items or fun things. Like... Why take the 'follow-me' feature away, why in the WORLD would they take the PokeWalkers away? They still haven't returned my precious VS. Seeker.

jkls39

Gate Master
    Years
  • Pokemon B/W is just so awesome! The graphics are great and even the battle system is awesome! I think maybe some people hated it because some were expecting that the battle system would be like, you know, that pokemons will show their moves by moving their bodies but, actually, their bodies are already moving but they still stay stationary when using some of their skills...But I still think this game is still the best among all Pokemon versions! XD

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Moderator Note

Hey guys I noticed a lot of you have been posting your own reasons you dislike Black and White. That sort of stuff belongs right here. Until now, I've been moving posts there - and posts to likes/dislikes, depending on where they belong. From this point on, unless you actually state the reasons you think other people hate them (not your own personal issues with them) then your post will straight out be deleted.

Have a good day :)

Last edited:

Cresselia*

Ace trainer
    Years
  • Almost all of the good features that were in HGSS were gone in BW. And the 3D effects, overall graphics. Meh, I think most of people hate those stuff.
    like me.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back