• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Why do people hate B/W so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JezzaRules

Charmander Lover
Years
  • Personally I think its coz the pokemon designs are getting worse every generation.
    I found Black/White much much easier to beat than in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum which kinda ruins the mood since the game isnt as challenging.

Cid

Years
  • So much? I don't think it's as hated as this thread's title makes it sound (but we all have our opinions).

As to why people hate it, I guess it's because it's quite different from what they wanted or expected. Same goes for some of the B/W lovers, too. They get something completely different from what they had envisioned, and react accordingly.

That, or maybe they're just not opening their minds a bit.

AquaticWartortle

Teh Best Wartortle
    Years
  • Most People hate Black & White because 1. They think it's getting boring since it's the same point of defeating the champion & catching all the Pokemon. 2. They think it's way to much Pokemon. 3. Some of the Pokemon look disoriented (such as Garbador).

Years
  • Well, I'm new to participating in the online Pokemon communities, but I didn't really know that Black and White was disliked.

I remember when it first came out, the internet was on fire talking about them and everything seemed very positive. Even today when I look online for stuff about Black and White, I haven't really seen anything saying that it's disliked.

And as for saying that veterans don't like it because of all new Pokemon, I've read on many websites that it is liked because the game play feels more like the originals than the past few generations.

ScarletCross

Cresselia Fan
    Years
  • Maybe it's because the people who despise it so much haven't bought it?
    I'm kidding :P
    I think it's because most people don't like the fact that there are soo many pokemon! I LOVE the new pokemon but I can see why some people think that this gen has copied some of the older gens...

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
    Years
  • In my opinion, Pokemon keeps pushing a concept that's already overused. When the 3rd gen came out, it was exciting seeing new Pokemon. When the 4th gen came out, the Pokemon gave me a weird vibe, like they weren't even Pokemon. It took forever to get used to them, though I still refuse to accept Arceus. The 5th gen Pokemon in my mind, are unacceptable. They aren't Pokemon. Sok and Through (or however you spell it) are wearing clothes? Pokemon don't wear clothes and they look hideous with it. Coffagrigus is a man-made object. How can Pokemon, natural creatures, look like something that is man-made? Many others, they just aren't Pokemon at all!

Also Team Plasma. Adding Team Magma and Aqua was pushing it, adding Team Galactic definately crossed the line. Now Plasma? Why must there now be a new team with every generation? Besides Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and all the other regions from the spin-off games already make up a planet's landmass, Sinnoh was pushing it. Unova doesn't make sense, there isn't enough room on the planet to add another continent.

This is the opinion of a dedicated fan. Feel free to have differing opinions, but a lot of people share my opinion, so it should help answer the question of why Black and White are hated by many.

legendarypokemon

He has multiple Personalities
    Years
  • U_Flame, your total post count at this time is 646, the amount of pokemon in the current dex! I love black and white, wishing there were some branched evolutions though! I think the reason people dont like it is because they want better gameplay, better designs and pokemon actually instead of a coffin with 4 arms!

Hydrath

Pokemon Pirate/Water Trainer
    Years
  • Personally, I think the hate comes from the same argument made against Pearl/Diamond and that's the lack of major change in the series and ugly Pokemon. Once you get used to seeing a certain generation of Pokemon as THE set it's hard to except future Pokemon. I'm still very attached to the Red/Blue pokemon.

The graphics don't push the system in the ways it should. Many older Pokemon gamers have grown tired if the series and are still waiting for a true 3D pokemon adventure. And combat is far from realistic kiddo.

once you get past the ugly and overpowered Pokemon it's certainly the best in the series but not everything it could be. Proving Pokemon only needs minor changes to be a hit seller... but for how long? :P

sherreamethyst

Dragonite's Momma
    Years
  • I am still a little confused on why they appear to be going back and taking out the most useful items or fun things. Like... Why take the 'follow-me' feature away, why in the WORLD would they take the PokeWalkers away? They still haven't returned my precious VS. Seeker.

Yes! Exactly! That could be a good reason why people don't like B/W so much! I really liked the Vs.Seeker as it would help me during training so much. Plus, the 'follow-me' feature was a real nice touch. Probably one of the greatest ideas they had imo. It's cool to watch your pokemon follow you and the Pokewalkers was also real nice. I liked showing my friends the Pokemon I had just caught that day or the day before.

A lot of people I talked to liked those features a lot, so that is a very good reson to hate B/W so much. It's lacking a lot of handy and fun features that fans loved so much. My friends and I are all hoping they bring those features back in the next game!

But B/W was overall a real good game. I actually always wanted a feature where you can change the camera view, so you can see first person view. It would make forests/cities/towns/caves much more interesting. Maybe people also hated B/W because they were expecting more from it like I was??

ben cousins

Backspacer
    Years
  • the new pokemon suck that's why genius but in all seriousness i hope they fire the fool who came up with these awful new pokemon [i hear he's american just a rumor]

Years
  • I personally LOVE the games and I've played R/B/Y, and personally I look at each Pokemon like a human/creature, why can't they just look different?

As to why others probably hate it, the game completely drops from exciting to what after you defeat N. Also all the features everyone loved is gone such as berry planting and retrieving, Vs. Seeker, and maybe the Pokewalker. However I see that a lot of people absolutely dreads the way the Pokemon look such as Garbodor, Vanilluxe, and Confagrigus. Purists who hate the changing art styles are too wrapped up in the way they look, and don't realize how simple Gen I was in the art and reasons for the Pokemon existing. I see people also dislike the menus and such, also the graphics

icypsaiko

Chicken Eater
    Years
  • In my opinion, Pokemon keeps pushing a concept that's already overused. When the 3rd gen came out, it was exciting seeing new Pokemon. When the 4th gen came out, the Pokemon gave me a weird vibe, like they weren't even Pokemon. It took forever to get used to them, though I still refuse to accept Arceus. The 5th gen Pokemon in my mind, are unacceptable. They aren't Pokemon. Sok and Through (or however you spell it) are wearing clothes? Pokemon don't wear clothes and they look hideous with it. Coffagrigus is a man-made object. How can Pokemon, natural creatures, look like something that is man-made? Many others, they just aren't Pokemon at all!

Porygon isn't natural (made by Silph Co. out coding), and neither is Mewtwo (from bizzare genetic experiments with Mew's DNA) and both are from Gen I to boot. I don't really understand your reasons for objecting to Cofagrigus' status as a Pokemon.

I loved the game by the way. The graphics are great, and level grinding is a whole lot easier. I even found Stunfisk to be oddly endearing. I guess people don't like what they are not familiar with.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2019
    Well it's normal that people don't like this games. Some things from previous games dissapeared, like collecting berries from trees.

But Black and white is a good game, and in my opinion it's the game that most closely resembles the first generation.

I read here peole typing that they didn't liked that game freak removed the follow me feature from Heart Gold. Well I don't bother with that, but it should have been opitional, I like to have my Pokémon in my Pokéballs rather having them outside :P. Or at least having only the starter outside.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • There's not many people I know that hate it and those who do I'm sure they will get used to it... It's certainly a step-up from DPPT.

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2019
    I didn't said that I hated it, just that I like them to have in my Pokéball too and that it should be optional. Letting them out or in the Pokéball whenever we want.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Each new gen since Gen III has had a hater as far as I can tell. I think Unova is alright it's better than Kanto but not as good as Johto ,Hoenn, or Sinnoh in my opinion, all those three regions had interesting places to visit and re explore, Unova like Kanto felt somewhat liner. Though I did like it that this gen introduce new features like dream world.

Years
    • Seen Nov 4, 2011
    I truly enjoy my copy of Black but some people dislike it because its to linear there is a lot less just exploring to be done then in other games. I mean sure they haven't changed their formula since the begining but why would they. By a business stand point every game is a huge success. So they play it safe.

But I do hope for whatever Game Freak publishes next will have a deeper story line because they did great with N and his story.

Years
    • Seen Apr 17, 2012
    Some Pokemon fans rant about every new game that comes out. Every gen ruins the series forever.
    I love BW too, and I'm crazy about the new Pokemon this gen. I've never had such a hard time limiting my team to six members.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back