• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

IMPORTANT: Name Change Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mika

もえじゃないも
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 11, 2013
I'm sure that it will most definitely become faster, and less prone to the crashes which I have cursed for years. :\

I feel sorry for those in the future, though, that join with 'newbish' names...

Some of those people could just make new accounts. <3

I'm all for it. I find the whole name change thing confusing. Now nobody can escape my stare. @D@

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
Years
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 19, 2021
Just because the links are yellow, doesn't mean everyone will stop and read. >___> Plus, it's just eye-blinding. x____x

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Years
  • Seen May 20, 2023
I'm fine with my name, it's already awesomesauce.
At least PC will be faster now. '~'

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
Years
Aww, this sucks. :(
I was planning on having a whole campaign of name changes~

Just to be clear, are we able to post in this fanshee schmanshee thread even if we weren't eligible in the first place?
I mean, I'm not within the three month limit to change my name within the next two weeks. And will I be able to change a name that was taken within the last year? (I've heard admins "lock" names for a year after they are changed off of, and I want that name, and obviously can't wait until a year has lapsed. =3=)

In any case, sorry we killed the database. ;_;

Klippy

L E G E N D of
Years
Aww, this sucks. :(
I was planning on having a whole campaign of name changes~

Just to be clear, are we able to post in this fanshee schmanshee thread even if we weren't eligible in the first place?
I mean, I'm not within the three month limit to change my name within the next two weeks. And will I be able to change a name that was taken within the last year? (I've heard admins "lock" names for a year after they are changed off of, and I want that name, and obviously can't wait until a year has lapsed. =3=)

If you had read the other name change thread related to this, you'd have seen:

"All limits are forgotten. If you changed your name one month ago, you may post here to request a change again."​

And if I'm reading your other question correctly, it sounds like you're saying you want a name that someone had previously had, but no longer does? I think you can take any name you want, realistically, unless another person has created an alt. account. Just post before they do if it's a popular name.

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
How will this affect supporters? Or has that even been discussed? XD (thanks)

Klippy

L E G E N D of
Years
How will this affect supporters? Or has that even been discussed? XD (thanks)

Umm...if you're referring to the three-month change perk, then...supporters don't get name changes any more than anyone else. Nobody is getting anymore changes after these next two weeks.

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
Umm...if you're referring to the three-month change perk, then...supporters don't get name changes any more than anyone else. Nobody is getting anymore changes after these next two weeks.

Well not in reference to that (just if anything a perk in general), nonetheless, you answered my question anyway. XD

I have one other nick I do like (and have thought of using), but I like this one just the same. X_x If only I could have two names at once (hitting refresh button would randomize that) XD Would make things less difficult perhaps.

Haha, thanks though.

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
Years
If you had read the other name change thread related to this, you'd have seen:

"All limits are forgotten. If you changed your name one month ago, you may post here to request a change again."​

And if I'm reading your other question correctly, it sounds like you're saying you want a name that someone had previously had, but no longer does? I think you can take any name you want, realistically, unless another person has created an alt. account. Just post before they do if it's a popular name.
Oh, thank you. I didn't want to read it until I knew I could use it. x_x
I can't wait to get this name. 8D

IceSage

Sage of Ice
Years
Technically, there are easier ways to put less stress on the database while still giving people the option to change their name. However, VB was never very good at this feature, unless of course, you install a hack. (Or addon, are they still calling them hacks these days?)

If this is ever brought back, it wouldn't be that hard to implement with also giving people the option of changing their names at will from the user control panel. (Perhaps with a time delay or cooldown.) Modifying the name change option in the future and the stress it puts on the database could be no more than the equivalent of altering your AIM or home location information, or even your signature.

The problem is... The PokeCommunity is quite large and will be growing even more popular when HG/SS comes out, and I'd imagine it does get quite a bit of stress... Even more so, weren't name changes handled manually by admins? I would think of anything, the reason for changing this would be to eliminate the constant task of altering names every time someone requests a change.

Anyway, good luck with everything, especially those who like to alter their usernames on occasion. I personally enjoy my username, so this really doesn't affect me at the moment.

Shadow Chaos

Has gone...
Years
  • Seen Aug 9, 2012
I have shadowed these forums as Shadow Chaos since I first joined on May 24th, 2005 and so shall I remain. D<

*slap'd*

Still, I should've used the name change option once, but oh well... |D

Polizard

Awesome Trainer
Years
I love polizard but i think the only problem would be people know may get multiple accounts so they can have multiple names

Lucy Lu

Keep On Moving Foward...
Years
  • Seen Mar 6, 2014
Wow so that is why we been getting these database errors. Especially during the day on the weekends and weekdays. Oh well, it was best to deal with it now than later. I am fine with my name. If the ability to change usernames is gone and you guys can't bring it back that is fine. If it will get rid of the database errors and make this forum run smoothly.

Looks like it is back to everyone making new accounts. Just like before. I wonder if that would put stress to the fourm as well. With all these alts.

Last edited:

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
It's good to know that I, as a proud member of the clan of no name changes, won't be affected by this whatsoever.
On the upside, this will teach people to put more thought into their usernames and it eliminates that brief moment of confusion that you feel when someone on your friends list gets a name change and you have to figure out who they are.

I have one question though: will we still be able to see old usernames for members who have had name changes in the past?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back