• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

IMPORTANT: Name Change Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neon ~

Carz
Years
    • Seen Feb 4, 2010
    I'm pleased I joined with the name I wanted :D
    sad to see it go even though I only joined yesterday
    but its for the best

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Could you please change the name to this?

Old: Lucariofan

New: ~Chaos (Trygator if used)

Thanks.

Good work reading the thread. Your English comprehension skills are unmatched :/ Head over to the Community Questions and Feedback forum, yo. There's a thread in it you can post in to request your final username.

I can't say I'm disappointed by this. Changing usernames is a cool feature and the administrators who used their time to satisfy the requests of hundreds of members deserve a clap on the back, but if it's harming the database, it's gotta go. That and the fact that I've lost track of who anyone is anymore, lol.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • Where exactly would I get a name change?
    You'll find a direct link (and a large link) to it on the first page of this announcement thread along with more detail on why name changes will be discontinued. You may want to read through everything so you know exactly what's going on and what to do just for reassurance. Here's a quick link to it though as this is not the thread to request any final name changes. ;)

Final Name Change Request Thread

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
  • It's good that we've finally found the source of the database errors. Although they weren't constant, they were annoying at times - especially when you've typed up a huge post and the error deletes it. Anyway, it is sadenning to see the name changes go away but it's really for the best. I would rather have a nice, smooth running forum than a forum plagued with database errors.

score_under

Inactive; Former ROM hack tool author, ❤️
    Years
  • What mystifies me is why the tables don't reference a user ID instead of caching the name - it seems a little redundant.

Also, you could take name change requests then schedule downtime each month or something to perform them.

The Cynic

♥ These Perfect Abattoirs ♥
    Years
  • This should certainly help the community, I'm glad its being done! Names shouldn't be a problem if you give it a bit of thought first time around.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    It really needed to be done. I remember at the worst PC would crash two or three times an hour :(

Silhouette

On my way to Viridian City ♪
    Years
  • What a shame. I was thinking u pa good name to change too. But, I'd rather keep my current one. Like in the first post, it would've been temporary anyway.

Here's hoping the best to PC.

score_under

Inactive; Former ROM hack tool author, ❤️
    Years
  • Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
  • To me, that post is saying that it should work fine... If you perform one rename at once, with the boards down, then you should have pretty much atomic writes to the database and won't corrupt anything.

If PHP ran in one process, you could use a spinning lock for this kind of thing...
    "It's not doing a bunch of names at once that causes PC to slow to a halt, it's just doing one change. That's all it takes. :("

We don't do a mass group of name changes all at once. We change them one at a time, and that one is what crashes PC.

Ochigi

Epic Bi Dude
    Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2010
    I have a question.

What if we forgot our username and it's hard to remember if we got a new one?
    Is that an exception?(Not saying i'll forget mine)

Years
  • Aw. That really sucks. But it doesn't matter, I love my name so so much, and wouldn't change it for the world :3

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
    Years
  • That sucks(although it explains the errors and stuff). But I do have a name in mind though. I suggest you guys use a username that doesn't have any numbers.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back