• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Triple/Rotational Battles

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
Black and White introduced both triple and rotational battles, but they were never utilized throughout the games very well compared to double battles. With B2W2, do you believe they should/will bring out these two features more throughout Unova?

pokeball_gray.jpg
Would you like to see more of these two features?
pokeball_gray.jpg
Where throughout Unova do you think Triple/Rotational battles should be placed (i.e. - within trainers, wild grass, gym leaders, E4, etc.)?
pokeball_gray.jpg
Do you want to see any improvements/changes for them? If so, what do you have in mind?

DISCUSS!

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
I would love to see more of these types of battles. They were beyond stupidly fun, and plus having White I only got to experience ONE rotation battle, so if the newer games were to put an even amount of both in the games, that would be amazing.
I'd be disappointed if they changed anything about them, though. They are fun as they already are.

Clacla

karp karp karp
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Mar 15, 2017
Of course, especially Triple Battles. They were a great addition, and it'd be cool to have a gym battle using them.
Where throughout Unova do you think Triple/Rotational battles should be placed (i.e. - within trainers, wild grass, gym leaders, E4, etc.)?
Like I said, maybe a gym battle that is Triple/Rotation.
Do you want to see any improvements/changes for them? If so, what do you have in mind?
No, I am content with how they are.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I wouldn't be too keen on battling a gym leader triple-battle style but I wouldn't mind some more of these with regular trainers or the odd gang-up battle from multiple Team ___ grunts. On that note more double battles too please - there were many instances in BW which it felt odd that they avoided them.

I don't think they need any real changes.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I would love to see more of these battles, BW had very few...Hopefully they will at the very least add more triple/Rotational battles in Opelucid city.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 13, 2016
I'm not much of a fan of rotational battles to be honest, but I did quite enjoy Triple Battles.

Hopefully this time if we have Cilan, Chili and Cress as gym leaders it'll be a triple battle. :D

I wouldn't mind more - just not too many, as a lot of the time rotational battles start to get annoying and triple battles turn tedious.

Cello

Tonight!
Years
I actually would love to see more rotational battles. I never liked the thought of them until I played one of the fan hacks where a gym battle involved doing a triple battle and saw how strategic it could be.
Granted that the Gym leader has about 6 Pokemon, I think a rotational battle against a Gym leader would be crazy cool. Perhaps it could be at the Cilan and gang part, as mentioned above? :>

On the other hand, I can't say I particularly enjoyed triple battles, so boo.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
I'm not much of a fan of rotational battles to be honest, but I did quite enjoy Triple Battles.

Hopefully this time if we have Cilan, Chili and Cress as gym leaders it'll be a triple battle. :D

I wouldn't mind more - just not too many, as a lot of the time rotational battles start to get annoying and triple battles turn tedious.
It got annoying? :[ It was barely in the games!

pokeball_gray.jpg
Yes, definitely. I thought it was a fun experience and I had expected GameFreak to show off these two battle features, especially since they were new. Sadly they didn't, but they should for Black 2 and White 2.

pokeball_gray.jpg
Like Mew~, If Cilan/Cress/Chili are still Gym Leaders in the game, I'd like for us to be able to have a full on triple battle with them (especially since they won't be the first gym we get to like in B/W). Trainers within Unova should also have both rotational and triple battles. & Along with wild double battles, there should be wild triple battles. Why not? :<

pokeball_gray.jpg

Nope, especially since these two weren't featured very well.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 13, 2016

It got annoying? :[ It was barely in the games!

Annoying as in - about to attack a water type with thunder and SWITCH (to a resistant Pokémon).

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
I would rather just have double battles, but the rotational battles are interesting at least.

If they are in the game they should be more frequent, with normal trainers using them as well as perhaps one gym leader. I would not like triple/rotation wild pokémon as that would just be a pain.

I think if they insist on using triple battles they should add to the list of combination moves (like the oaths things, but with a more common varieties). This would mean there was some strategy rather than just ALL ATTACK ONE (repeat), it would make it much more interesting and make it really different to single battles.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
Annoying as in - about to attack a water type with thunder and SWITCH (to a resistant Pokémon).[/SIZE][/FONT]

That's the whole point of rotation battles. Normal battles are numbers games where you know the outcome just by looking at the mon. But Rotation battles offer a layer of strategy, a way to defend weaker mon, and -most importantly- a way to make mistakes!

There are so many choices to make, game theory flies out the window. You are going to make mistakes in rotation battles, but that's what makes them so interesting.

I want a Rotation Battle with the Shadow Triad. They have the 3 Sinnoh dragons. Enjoy.

A rotation Gym would be fun, but probably better suited for post-game.

Zephele

✧ leave it to me!
Years
  • Seen Jan 11, 2013
I thought they were underutilized in B/W, so more of them would be great. Rotation battles in particular, since I find them more interesting, though triple battles also have their merits.

Seeing them with normal trainers as before would be fine. Seeing one or two Gyms use either battle format would be nice, as well. If not the battle for the badge, maybe if a rematch system is implemented, they could do something similar to the Clair/Lance double battle in HG/SS, but with triple/rotation battles.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 13, 2016
That's the whole point of rotation battles. Normal battles are numbers games where you know the outcome just by looking at the mon. But Rotation battles offer a layer of strategy, a way to defend weaker mon, and -most importantly- a way to make mistakes!
I understood that - but added to my point - it would be too annoying for me to see too much of it. Personal preferences

I like the idea of the Shadow Triad, with the creation trio doesn't seem as far fetched at second thought. But obviously very late in the game and after main story.

Daydream

[b]Boo.[/b]
Years
Definitely more implemented through the game, have the occasional trainer who challenges you to one. And I think it should be either through single trainers, who challenge you to that type of battle or maybe you get a group of three trainers (because I can't imagine it would be uncommon for trainers to travel together) to battle against. I'd also like to see some team up triple battles (which I was convinced was going to happen with Bianca and Cheren), perhaps against the evil team. Oh and against the Shadow Triad and triplets would be cool.

chaos11011

[untitled]
Years
  • Age 27
  • MA
  • Seen May 4, 2021
I think a Triple Battle with the Shadow Triad would be nice, going on the theory that the Shadow Triad is the Stration Leaders, they could use their 3 Simimonkeys and the F/W/G Eeveelutions.

blue

gucci
Years

Yeah, well they we're introduced in BW so I can't understand why they didn't add more of them, I enjoyed the triples, not so much the rotations.

The first gym would have suited it greatly, they all had 2 Pokémon each and for 3 of them to be in a triple battle would be a perfect team of 6 offering a variety of types.

I'd like to see more triple battles and a couple rotations scattered here and there yeah.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
For those who said the shadow triad @ triples, I'd love that. Thing is, they'd need to have a purpose to do that. :( Rotationals I really want to see gone, so in the 2 years hopefully they got phased out of the region due to being terrible. :3;

blue

gucci
Years
For those who said the shadow triad @ triples, I'd love that. Thing is, they'd need to have a purpose to do that. :( Rotationals I really want to see gone, so in the 2 years hopefully they got phased out of the region due to being terrible. :3;

True, the fact that they appeared several times and had links with N during Black & White must mean they have something behind them, these games are perfect to find out about them considering they are direct sequels.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I'm hopin one Gym does Triple or Rotation battles. I love both of those and don't get to battle online as often as I'd like to use the functions.

Back