Community

The PokéCommunity

We are still working on a better slogan!

Visit Index

Advertise here

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Entertainment & Hobbies > Culture & Media
Notices

Culture & Media This is where all of pop culture culminates and chats over a cup of joe. Here you can find discussions relating to the latest and greatest television shows, movies, music and literature, and much more!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old December 21st, 2012, 04:42 AM
Naruto Uzumaki
memories.
Community Supporter

Advertise here
I'm curious, who and what type of music does everyone listen to on here?

I myself have a wide variety! The main music genres I listen to are: Hardcore, Post-Hardcore, Rock, Electronicore, Reggaeton, Hip-Hop and R&B.

How about you?
My melted heart remains
As I painfully cover my permanent wounds
Somewhere in the city that flies by
Your siren wails endlessly
Open up

l MAL l

Last edited by Sodom; December 21st, 2012 at 07:49 AM.
Old December 21st, 2012, 07:19 AM
von Weltschmerz
the first born unicorn

I have a strong distaste for basing music on it's genre. Good music is good music, period. When you adopt a mindset like that... you prevent yourself from enjoying that type of music. I'm not saying that you have to like everything... but if someone is out there doing their thing and being successful, I give 'em some props for that, they deserve respect.

I tend to listen to more rock/punk rock/alternative music, but that isn't by much--my tastes are pretty spread across the board.
Being wrong isn't "bad", failing to admit that you are, is.
Old December 21st, 2012, 07:49 AM
Sodom
with a capital Y.

Nature: Adamant
This is discussing music, so I'm going to move it over to General Entertainment. Before I do though, I'm going to amend it to being just about music genre rather than artists, because there is already a thread there asking for people's favourite songs and artists

"So this is why God bombed us."

Moderator of General Chat

Old December 21st, 2012, 10:21 AM
Brizz
TM87

Nature: Modest
Quote:
Originally Posted by von Weltschmerz View Post
I have a strong distaste for basing music on it's genre. Good music is good music, period. When you adopt a mindset like that... you prevent yourself from enjoying that type of music. I'm not saying that you have to like everything... but if someone is out there doing their thing and being successful, I give 'em some props for that, they deserve respect.
This. I like music from almost every genre out there so I can't say "oh I only like these two genres and nothing else". Although I can tell you that the majority of the music that I do listen to is Hip Hop/Rap.
Old December 21st, 2012, 02:15 PM
Sassy Milkshake
It's ok to cry.

Nature: Sassy
I don't have a favorite genre per se, but there are those that I prefer over others. Pop music and indie music are two that I like. A lot of stuff these days seems like a mix between the two which I like. Rock and most of its sublevels aren't so bad either.

Old December 21st, 2012, 02:24 PM
Gideon Jeremiah
The giving Pokèmon breeder

Nature: Docile
I personally adore Classical, Indie, Opera, Rock, (only certain bands) & Techno.
Old December 21st, 2012, 04:31 PM
metal64meli
Unhatched Egg

Nature: Serious
Send a message via Skype™ to metal64meli
I like Death Metal, Folk Metal, Black Metal, Power Metal, Symphonic Metal, Thrash Metal, Classical Music, and 80's music
Old December 21st, 2012, 07:19 PM
White Mage
Probably alive
Community Supporter

Nature: Timid
Depends on the mood I'm in.

Mainly post-hardcore and dubstep. Although I do like hard rock, some pop, and most types of EDM.

VM | PM | MAL
Old December 21st, 2012, 09:10 PM
CarcharOdin
Master of The Universe
Community Supporter

Nature: Naughty
Metal. I've been listening to a lot of black metal lately, but most kinds of real metal will do.

However, sometimes I'll listen to some classical, classic rock, progressive rock, downtempo, drum & bass, hardcore punk, and ambient. Other than that, video game soundtracks.
CarcharOdin gets high on life to forget about drugs.
Old December 21st, 2012, 09:51 PM
Denny Hamlin
i can f e e l again

Nature: Brave
Rock is my main music genre, but most times I pretty much don't care what kind of music I listen to. If the song is good, the song is good, basically. :P

"It was HIS hat, Mr. Krabs... HE WAS NUMBER ONE!"
Old December 21st, 2012, 10:41 PM
Patchisou Yutohru
Community Supporter

Depends on my mood. Right now, I'm in a rock mood. That includes the sub-genres and whatnot. Whatever you consider to be heavy, I guess? Just not heavy to the point where the songs are screaming in a horrible scratchy voice the entire time.

Before that, I was in a mood for rap, and before that country, and before that folk, and before that pop.
Old December 21st, 2012, 11:36 PM
Sylphiel
over the borders // across the lines

Nature: Quirky
I tend to gravitate towards alternative, hard rock, and/or metal as my default, I guess. Usually when I just want to listen to music in general, I'll go listen to one or more of those. I need something with a strong beat I suppose.

Now, I have no problems with listening to songs from other genres if I like their sound - although things in the country and rap categories I still tend to shy away from, admittedly - though I don't tend to actively go look for them (either I'll stumble upon them from something random, or someone will send stuff to me to listen).
» Paired with Ausuadriel, yo.
» I also make pictures. Sometimes.
Old December 22nd, 2012, 01:04 AM
curiousnathan
they said we could be anything
Community Supporter

Nature: Careful
I don't tend to have a favourite genre to be honest, I'd say perhaps pop, but I usually just listen to whatever seems to catch my fancy.
moderator | lovely pair | PC live
Old December 22nd, 2012, 04:52 AM
Hikamaru
now i'm on the outside
Community Supporter

Nature: Quirky
Dance, Pop and Rock for me, or basically any song that gets my attention.

Actually, I like all genres except for Classical and Country.
Old December 22nd, 2012, 08:39 AM
LilJz
This is how we do!
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
My mindset isn't really set on one music genre. I like everything, from classical to heavy metal.

But I find myself listening mostly to rap and rock & roll.

But if a song catches my hear and I like it, I don't care what kind of music genre it is, if it's good, I'll listen to it.
♥Plusle bro of Autumn Reverie♥ | ♥Pink Mommy, Autumn Reverie, Kanzler, Macarous & Apollo♥
|3DS FC|
Old December 22nd, 2012, 11:12 AM
Patrick
Ya'll Are Weird
Community Supporter

Mostly instrumental, regardless of the genre. I find I like listening to music more than I enjoy listening to someone sing, unless the singing could be considered an additional "instrument" to the song. There are some exceptions from the 80's and 90's, of course.

Generally speaking, though, I don't necessarily care for any flagrant negativity in songs, I'll shut that stuff off so fast...

Also, game music. But I lump that into instrumental, because that's what it is.

Other Stuff That's Totally Uncool and Not Worth Your Time!

Old December 22nd, 2012, 03:45 PM
Mariah Carey
what a feeling
Community Supporter

.........Pop, lol. You know, Britney, Madonna, Marina etc. I'm open to everything but yeah, I suppose I fall under the stereotypical homosexual label in this one, lol.
Old December 22nd, 2012, 05:13 PM
Digimon Kaiser
White and Nerdy

Nature: Adamant
Rock and Metal are my favorites by a longshot. AC/DC, Slipknot, etc.
"A lie told often enough becomes the truth."
"The most important thing when ill is to never lose heart."
"Sometimes - history needs a push."
-Vladimir Lenin
Old December 22nd, 2012, 06:13 PM
giradialkia
Community Supporter

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to giradialkia
A while ago I'd have said 'Progressive House', but now I simply can't say. Music as a whole appeals to me (of course not ALL music, but a damn lot of it). Primarily I guess I like electronic music (some deadmau5, Skrillex, Swedish House Mafia, Tiesto, Nicky Romero, Nero, Camo & Krooked, I'll stop now) but certain bands/artists just give me goosebumps (like Foo Fighters, Ed Sheeran, Mumford & Sons, Kings of Leon, etc). To be fair, my first set of examples are pretty much worlds apart from the second, so I can safely say it's too hard to settle on the one genre.

This one's called 'Red', and it's actually kinda Pokémon themed, so have a listen! Check out the links below for more stuff, if you like this!

This is the Doctor
This is my Soundcloud
This is my bandcamp

My Pokémon Y character is the same as my username. If you see me as a Passerby let me know! I tend to get a lot of Passerby requests and I often wonder if it's people from this site.
Old December 22nd, 2012, 08:40 PM
Tyrantrum
none pizza with left beef
Community Supporter

Nature: Lonely
Send a message via Skype™ to Tyrantrum
The type of music I listen to mainly ranges from post-hardcore, metalcore, death metal, deathcore, etc. I don't exactly prefer the older 80's/90's metal, but whenever I put Music Choice: Metal on on the TV, it'll play some of that and I'll listen to it no problem, usually. I could never get into earlier metal because when I started listening to heavier music, it was what people usually classify as "screamo," so that's what I'm used to/prefer more often than not.

I occasionally listen to acoustic songs and dubstep, and there are very few rap, pop, etc. songs that I enjoy. I usually can't stand any other genre of music because it just gives me a headache, but there are some songs that I do enjoy - E.T. by Katy Perry, Ill Mind of Hopsin 5 by Hopsin, Somebody that I Used to Know by Goyte; those are some examples of songs I like that are from different genres.

(x) Tumblr
(y) Gallery
Previously Eeveon
Old December 24th, 2012, 09:03 AM
Zebeedoo
asdfghjkl
Community Supporter Tier 4

Nature: Jolly
well before, like 3 or 4 years ago, i used to listen to pop, like mainstream stuff... then i started exploring more genres and at first i hated rock music, but now it's my favourite genre of music. i don't like heavy metal or screamo though. ): light rock is more my kinda thing. :') but i also like some dance music, acoustic, alternative, pop punk and chiptune (like 8-bit sounding music). :3

Old December 24th, 2012, 09:29 AM
Katalyst
Black Rose Immortal

80's and 90's Heavy/Thrash Metal, mostly. (stuff like Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, early Metallica, Megadeth, Nevermore, a bit of Pantera...)
I'll listen to anything with a good guitar though, but don't put any kind of non-clean vocals over it.

© i Katalyst
Old December 24th, 2012, 10:09 AM
divinemamgai
Unhatched Egg

Well, I kinda like old timers such as Bryan Adams, but sometimes I can make room for Rock and Pop too!
Old December 24th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Arma
Actually not mad at all
Community Supporter

Nature: Jolly
Reggaeton and most other "tropical" genre's (like reggae, salsa, merengue, zouk etc.) are what I most often listen to. But to be completely honest, I listen to pretty much everything but metal and hardrock and the like.
Old December 24th, 2012, 11:56 AM
sab
Now too much of a life.

UK/Happy Hardcore. I hadn't even heard of the stuff up until a few years ago, but I just love the way it sounds. Probably Hixxy, Squad-e, S3rl, and Scooter would be some of my favorite artists.
anCay ouyay eakspay igpay atinlay? Ifay osay easeplay m.p.ay
emay enthay opycay anday astepay isthay inay ouryay ignaturesay.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links

Advertise here