The PokéCommunity Forums  

Go Back   The PokéCommunity Forums > Pokémon Discussions > Pokémon General

Notices

Pokémon General Theories, experiences and other discussions regarding the Pokémon franchise that can't be covered in any of the other boards.
Feel like talking about Pokémon manga? Check this out! Want to discuss and share Pokémon music and videos? Click here!

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old July 17th, 2013, 06:59 PM
Alexial
dream

Nature: Naive
I remember Pokemon cards being a big thing a long time ago and I was immediately attracted to how shiny the holographic ones were (I was not a very complex child lol). Got the games shortly thereafter and was hooked ever since.

Old July 18th, 2013, 02:27 PM
Ra'ych
Quilava-mava-quava

Nature: Docile
When I was little I became slowly addicted to the animation show on television. Then came buying cards at garage sales and then saving up and buying Pokemon Yellow and Blue at Gamestop (I remember the guy told me they were the same game, but I wanted the blue one and the one with Pikachu on it). I never had any friends to play with so the first time I started playing with anyone was when Black/White came out and I started playing with the world.
Old July 19th, 2013, 08:49 PM
Tsurera
Sculptor

Nature: Brave
Way back when, when the anime came out. I don't remember if it was that or when red & blue came out. I feel like they happened around the same time. =)
Old July 19th, 2013, 10:35 PM
NaughtyBeaver
Pokemon Master

Nature: Adamant
When I was 5, (8 years ago). When me and my brother got home from school. Toonami (Old Cartoon Network) would be on, and 2 shows would come on. One show called Zacht Bell (Don't remember much of it). And Pokemon. I don't remember which show it was, but I absolutely loved it. When I first got my gameboy, my first Pokemon game was Pokemon Emerald. I played that game so much. But young me wasn't as "knowledged" on the subject as I am now. So I probably had teams of the first types of Pokemon ever. Anyway, I still loved it, and still DO love it!
Old July 20th, 2013, 06:35 AM
The_Mew

I think mine is one of the most unexciting ones: I simply got Red with my Gameboy when I got it for my birthday, and was hooked ever since...
Old July 20th, 2013, 08:00 PM
Shrew
is a shrew

Nature: Lonely
I overheard some boys at school talking about pokemon, in which they conveniently said what channel it was on and what time. I noticed it was pretty popular at my school, so one day I turned it on. The first episode I watched was Ash catching Caterpie. I liked it.
Old July 20th, 2013, 09:02 PM
Moose
Pokemon Master,

Nature: Quirky
My sister had a few pikachu plushies laying around, but I never payed much attention to Pokemon until my friend Wesley mentioned them to me in kindergarten. We pretended like we had Pokemon, and I didn't know much about it at all, so he "gave" me an onix. That reminds me, I haven't talked to him in years. I wonder how he is. Anyway, a little after that, I found a gameboy at a garage sale and Pokemon Yellow in a used game store.
Old July 21st, 2013, 09:58 AM
Joobell
Insert Witty User Title Here

Nature: Quirky
In 2002 I got Pokemon silver and a Gameboy Color. I didn't really understand much about it, my older brother on the other hand just played it all day. When 2004 came around I got Pokemon FireRed but didn't have a gameboy advance so I went to a friends house to play it. He had 2 gameboy advances (One for him and his older brother) and when his older brother was out I'd go over to his house and play pokemon with him.
Old July 21st, 2013, 11:08 AM
sρεcтяα
Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ

Nature: Quiet
Send a message via Skype™ to sρεcтяα
I think it was a combination of things for me. First a friend brought over the Pokemon Red/Blue Master Guide made by the old UK Nintendo magazine raving about how good it was, and then I watched the first episode of the anime on SMTV and decided that I quite liked it; that was probably the turning point. Then I got a copy of Pokemon Red so I could play with my friend, plus some figures...I had an opaque Gengar that I used to LOVE, plus a Venusaur that doubled as a pencil top. The best way to get me into something when I was younger was to get me a toy of it I could show off to everyone else. The cards followed after, and then the craze swept my school and, being six or seven years old with no identity to call my own at the time, I was swept up along with it.
Old July 21st, 2013, 11:25 AM
MIAU
Community Supporter

Nature: Quiet
Well, I remember watching the anime with my friends as a kid. At some point there were even some stickers from chocolate croissants, and we started collecting those too, I wonder where my album is now

That was more than 10 years ago though, and after the anime craze died out, so was my interest in Pokemon. I can't really remember what was it that made me look up the games at some point last spring, but I did, and started playing White on an emulator, and in the end I got my own 3DS to enjoy the games to the fullest.
Old July 27th, 2013, 10:12 AM
garchomp47
Dragon tamer

Nature: Rash
Send a message via Skype™ to garchomp47
when i was 3 years old. I watch an anime.Then when i become older i play pokemon platinum.
Old July 27th, 2013, 11:28 AM
Warship
異議あり!

Nature: Jolly
İ initially disliked pokemon but a few years ago my friend made me play it and i was immediately hooked. We still both play it to this day
Old July 27th, 2013, 01:14 PM
Riolucario11
Bubbly Wubbly Pony Waifu

Nature: Naughty
My older, now 21 year old cousin was one day playing what I remember to be Pokemon Stadium when I was, like, 4 or 5. He was battling currently, and I sat in his lap to watch him, I was pretty intrigued by what was going on. I remember he had a Teddiursa, and was battling...an Oddish, I think, when he gave me a try. With his help, I won the battle, and then we kept playing. Later, I accidentally released the Teddiursa, which he wasn't too happy about, but he just kept playing with me and told me not to press the Release button. Afterwards, we started playing it a lot, until I got my first little DS Lite and bought my own version of Pokemon Fire Red. Ever since then, I've been a Pokemon Fan at heart.

~Madness~?
Old July 27th, 2013, 07:48 PM
BubbleBeams
Defeating Champions Since 1999

Nature: Timid
Send a message via Skype™ to BubbleBeams
I first got into Pokemon because I had a crush on a guy when I was 10 years old and I had heard he liked Pokemon, so I decided to look into it (I still do this kind of stuff as an adult!! Ugh!! lol) I found the OS anime on Cartoon Network, I believe. I started watching it a little before the episodes where Ash battles in the Indigo League aired in America. I think the first episode I watched was when he defeated Blaine with his Charizard.

Very shortly after I discovered the anime, I played a family friend's kid's Pokemon Blue game when we were visiting them and I really enjoyed it, and they gave me the game. It was all downhill from there. Went nuts playing the games, went nuts buying the cards, went nuts getting up early on Saturday mornings to record the new episodes that came out each week onto a VHS tape so I could rewatch the episode all week until the next week's episode aired. I watched the first three movies in the theater...

Ah, I just love Pokemon. My favorite thing from my childhood, and still one of my favorite things.

Sorry, I started rambling there...
Old July 27th, 2013, 08:35 PM
The Grubby Pup
Where's mah shiny squeaky ball

Nature: Naughty
Send a message via Skype™ to The Grubby Pup
mah older brother had red version. I use to sit over him and watch him play...even after he told me to get lost. Mah first pokemon game was yellow, but I really didn't know what I was doing, so I'm gonna scratch dat and say Silver version. lol
Old July 27th, 2013, 08:52 PM
Wobbu

Nature: Relaxed
Back when I was in elementary school (second grade I think) I was riding the school bus home and a guy from middle (or high, I can't remember) school let me play his Blue version. I can't remember how I ended up playing his Blue version, but I do remember making a new game
I've never heard of Pokémon prior to that moment, but I'm glad that I got my hands on his Gameboy. I must've talked about how cool it was, because my parents bought me a Sapphire version soon after. I think Ruby & Sapphire had just been released in the U.S. when all of this happened. Anyways, after playing Sapphire, I became a fan and have been playing ever since.
Old July 27th, 2013, 11:06 PM
Kanzler
スペースディスコ ��82.
Community Supporter

Nature: Relaxed
Dang it, I was raised on this shizz! I was probably 5, the anime was aired on YTV for the first time, with the First Movie arriving the following year. My circle of friends back in the day was in it haarrrd! even though I was the odd one without a gameboy XD. We had endless summer fun pretending to be trainers and pokemon, and making our own pokemon cards and artwork - I even made a kind of fakemon RPG on paper XD. There was also digimon and medabots, if i do remember correctly, but nothing captured our attention more than pokemon. I remember finding my first pokemon cards (several, but I remember dewgong and a potion), they were buried under mulch under a tree (and they were a bit damp). I think somebody meant to hide them It captured our imagination and was a solid foundation for our friendship until 2001, that fateful year when most of us moved away :'(

Fast forwards twelve years and I start becoming active on PC! and I found out that one of my classmates in university is really into pokemon She's pretty cool XD

Spoiler:
dang it this was solid material for what could've been my vanity thread D':
Old July 27th, 2013, 11:31 PM
.:batto:.
Pokébreeder

Nature: Bold
christmas. and the box art of pokemon yellow.
i just had to have it.
Old July 29th, 2013, 08:06 PM
takenbythewind
fly on little wing ♪

Nature: Calm
My cousins were really into it and let me play it one day and I LOVED it.
I asked for a Game Boy Advance SP and Pokemon Ruby for Christmas and was hooked. Still am 12 years later. :3
Old July 29th, 2013, 10:34 PM
alienhunterx

Nature: Brave
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to alienhunterx
I just watched the first episode of Pokemon anime and that made me felt crazy for them and I jumped into the Poke World afterwards
Old August 4th, 2013, 02:33 AM
Jin Of The Gale
King of the Gales

Send a message via Skype™ to Jin Of The Gale
I got a GBA along with a Red version cartridge for my fourth birthday. I didn't play it much because it looked kind of dull and boring. After watching the first episode on television, I felt like playing it again and eventually got addicted to it.

✝REST IN PEACE✝
Old August 4th, 2013, 02:41 AM
Quetzal

I got exposed to the full force of the original Pokemon hype. First I started seeing glimpses of Pokemon around (pretty sure I saw a Koffing in a magazine), then I started watching the anime with my little bro and we'd act out pokemon battles after. Then one fateful Christmas I got a GBC and Pokemon Blue, and so a gamer and Pokemon fan was truely born. Oh, this must have been 1999 by the way.

Last edited by Quetzal; August 4th, 2013 at 02:49 AM.
Old August 4th, 2013, 02:47 AM
.:batto:.
Pokébreeder

Nature: Bold
Christmas, 2002. Thats what got me into Pokemon.

My mum bought me Pokemon Yellow for my GBA.
I really enjoyed the game. But for months i would restart the game because i couldn't get past Brock. (like many)
As i'd never played Pokemon Red/Blue I'd never been past Pewter city.
And when i finally decided to train a Butterfree. I wiped the floor with that stupid Onix.
And i haven't looked back since. I love the Pokemon games. As well as the cartoon.
LONG LIVE POKEHMON.
Old August 4th, 2013, 04:42 AM
Kouzan
It's another wolf bite.
Community Supporter

Nature: Modest
Send a message via Skype™ to Kouzan
I got into Pokemon through the anime around 1998 or 1999. I say both cause I'm not sure exactly. I remember watching episodes on weekends and weekdays on the program block, Kids WB. Apparently they didn't pick it up untill 1999 and Fox Kids air it before then.Who knew. I only remember watching it on Kids WB but I may ahve watch it on Fox Kids, since I think I saw episode one was it aired for the first time. Then around late 1999 I got Pokemon Red as a Christmas gift and my Pokemon obsession grew from there.

Mega Sceptile and Treecko for life yo.
DeviantArt |Tumblr | Art Gallery| Ask Me Stuff |Paired to | Avatar source:[x]
Old August 4th, 2013, 05:13 AM
Banz

It was May 2003 when the show started airing on Cartoon Network. I was having my summer holidays then. Initially I didn't find it very interesting (from the ads) so I didn't watch it until a week later. The first episode I watched was "The school of hard knocks" and I've been a fan since.
When school restarted in June I realised that everyone was a fan of the show.
Quick Reply

Sponsored Links