• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What Got You Into Pokemon?

QuackSaidPikachu

Magikarp Trainer
Years
  • I started playing Pokemon when one day my dad picked me up from my grandfather's when I was 5ish.My dad had a GBA and several GBA games,one of them being Sapphire.I have played every game except for all spin-offs,White,Pearl,HeartGold,White2.I love the series and I had gotten my friends to join as well which interested me more in Pokemon and I have bought a 3DS XL for X and Y (even though my ds lite is in poor condition and most games are coming out for 3ds).
    I LOVE POKEMON

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
    Years
  • I lived in Oklahoma at the time. And I was in KinderCare. My friends were looking at the cool booklet that came with Red and Blue versions and I was instantly hooked at the numerous Pokémon in the book.

Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2013
    I find your question tough considering Pokemon is diversified through different forms of media. To start; the video games give you a world to explore as well as catch creatures. You get to watch them grow, learn new moves, evolve, etc. through battling other Pokemon by way of wild, trainers or gym leaders.

Personally, fell into Pokemon through my brother and quite basically everyone else introducing me to it. I myself, being born in 90 got to witness the mass explosion of Pokemon on the scene. Pokemon incorporated various monsters from cute, strange to cool. So you could say, to everyone there were favorites, ones you wanted to own in-game, draw them and maybe even write a fan fiction incorporating them.

It was a glorious time and that time is slowly approaching again with Pokemon X & Y hitting shelves sometime in October. These are just my thoughts/opinions, but I wouldn't be surprised if more individuals rejoin or start Pokemon simply because of Pokemon X & Y. It has caught my attention to an excessive level, with every new Pokemon being revealed even more anticipation builds along with knowing about a new type, fairy.

I could keep going to discuss between TCG, fan fiction, etc. and make this longer, try to hit every topic within Pokemon, but my time has come to end this long post. For reading, thank you.

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
  • I was introduced to Pokemon through my brother. He had a game-boy and Pokemon Yellow, so naturally as a kid, I gravitated toward watching him play the game and I got more and more interested. I would then proceed to find out that their was an anime on T.V. I started watching the anime, and I was instantly hooked to Pokemon.

jcl

Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2014
    I was really really young, and I had a Gameboy Color with Pokemon Red in it... it was my older brother's. He let me play it, but he wouldn't let me nickname any of the Pokemon. :( Pokemon was probably one of the first video games I've ever played. Good times.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
  • I gotta say the anime. Also, Pokemon such a huge hit in the late 90's that you couldn't go out without seeing something that is Pokemon related. Since I was a kid, I would want everything that Pokemon had. I even had 2 Pokemon umbrellas and my mom said that one was already enough, haha.

So the anime introduced me to Pokemon but the huge wave of Pokemon stuffs during that time really got me into Pokemon for real.

Years
  • I was given Pokemon Blue when i was little and i never really figured out how to play it. years went by and i was given Sapphire. Once i figurd out what the game was about and how to actually play it, i loved it. I found my old Blue cartrige and played it through and yeah just went from there and now i cannot stop.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2018
    Some online friends played Pokemon and got me interested in it. I had wanted to get around to buying a game, but it took a while before I actually did. Diamond version. I found Pokemon a little late haha.

Years
    • Seen Jan 8, 2024
    When I was a kid there was a show before school that would show cartoons and have some segments with hosts cracking jokes and talking about cartoons.

One day they announced they had a new show they were adding to their lineup. It was the first episode of Pokemon.

Pretty much immediately I and everyone else at my school were hooked; we talked about the show, traded and played with the card game and Gameboy games, gossiped about glitches and what might be in the next games and watched the Pokemon specials that would come on TV.

Lostworld

cosmic castaway
    Years
  • I love reminiscing on those days of Pokemon first being released. I was hooked upon first seeing the first anime episode airing on tv. Then a local store began selling the miniature figurines for $1 each so I went crazy buying those (I still have the original 151 figurines). Then for Christmas I got a purple Gameboy Colour and Pokemon Silver and yeah. It's still a cherished part of my life 15 years on.

Years
  • My love for Pokemon started when I first heard about Red & Blue, but I could never play them because this was back in the day when I was a major PlayStation gamer. However, my thoughts towards Pokemon changed after watching the anime for the first time and I took an immediate liking towards Pikachu so much I had my mother get me a really cute Pikachu plushie.

And then come 2003, I finally played a Pokemon game for the first time, Ruby. I even went on to play the entire 4th and 5th Generation (the latter cued my fangirlism towards Oshawott), and despite me almost being 21 (my birthday is in October) my love for Pokemon has still stuck, and joining PC ensures I will remain a Pokemon fan for life.

So to conclude this answer, it was the anime that got me into Pokemon.

Zylas

Dat Trains Kid
    Years
  • I first got into Pokemon due to my sister. I practically worshiped her as a gaming god and watched her whenever she played any sort of video game. She tried to get me into Final Fantasy 7, but I ended up crushing the disc in the PS1 at an attempt to put it in (take note I was like 6 at the time).

At one point we both had gotten Gameboy Micros, my sister with Pokemon Sapphire and me with some movement Twister game with a giant cartridge. As I said before, I loved watching my sister play video games. So, after seeing her play Sapphire I finally decided to play the game myself. Playing the game, I loved the cool sound effects of the move Double Kick, especially how it showed a black little paw (my sister had started out with Torchic and Blaziken soon followed).

Ever since then, I sneaked the game from her every day while she was doing homework. After a while, she found out what I was doing and hid it from me, only to give it back soon after. Of course, this was only because she had gotten Pokemon Emerald.

Now, my sis and I compete with our Pokes often, and I have gotten much better than her at this point, only because of the EV Training tactics I learned here at Pokecommunity that she still doesn't know about >:) . Despite this, she will always be better than me at the first gen and Pokestadium on the N64 cuz I never got to play the Red, Blue, Yellow series.

Kyrul

Long Live The Note
    Years
  • I saw the show when it first aired in 'murica. Instantly became addicted, would always rush home after school (was like a 30 minute walk home) to make sure I could watch it after that crappy Yu-Gi-Oh. Ahh the days before cable. Didn't even play any of the games until Silver and Gold were released, and I was actually mad that my mom bought me Silver version other than the this one Scooby-Doo game. Though now I'm glad she did, instantly fell in love with the game. I never missed a single episode of the anime neither. I remember when the first movie came out, I made a slide out of cardboard leading down the stairs in my basement, would grab a baseball cap, backpack and a fake pokeball then slide down the cardboard trying to recreate the scene when ash saved pikachu from falling. Good times, good times. Miss those days. God, I can only imagine what I would have tried to do if I saw Jackass at that age.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    Apparently back in the day my parents did a lot of shopping at Toys R Us. This enabled us to get a VHS tape mailed to the house to advertise this new thing called "Pokemon". I watched that tape every single day (which is amazing because that tape was cheap), waiting and waiting for Pokemon to be released in America.

And then the anime premiered. I watched it and fell in love. Again, I waited and waited for more Pokemon, learning any information that I could about the games. When they were released, I chose the Blue version because Meowth was exclusive to that game, and Meowth was my favorite Pokemon at the time. Still have the promotional poster for Red and Blue in my closet from those days.

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
    Years
  • It's one of those things that just happened to me. My mom bought me the Pokémon-decorated GameBoy Color 15 years ago and Pokémon Yellow. Money was tight but I still got it for Christmas I believe it was. I watched the show all the time when I had to wait at my babysitter's house for my mom or dad to pick me up. I collected the cards too but never knew how to play the card game because the kids were rude and wouldn't let me join in to play (I don't know why, I was a fan too). I bought and collected just about everything Pokémon back then (the gold plates from Burger King, the plushes, the Nintendo 64 games, etc.). Now I only watch the show and am starting up on collecting the cards again.

manadhon

RTX-008L
    Years
  • If I recall, my descent into the magical world of Pokemon began when I started watching the anime. From there, I was presented Blue soon after borrowing a Gameboy Color (which was never returned), and collected the cards.
    It wasn't really until Gen 3 that I really got into the franchise. Having missed Gen 2 entirely, I made up by playing Ruby, Sapphire, Fire Red, and Emerald, along with the spin-offs Mystery Dungeon (Red), Colosseum, TV, and XD: Gale of Darkness. My card collection multiplied, and my already avid watching of the anime increased.
    Gen 4 more or less ruined it for me, but eh, I'm still a fan nonetheless. So yeah, it was the anime, followed by my mother, that got me into Pokemon.

Years
  • Everyone in my school was watching and playing it, so naturally I wanted to try it too. Started with the anime I think, got hooked and moved onto the games. :D This was back in 1998ish.

Years
    • Seen Aug 7, 2016
    I started watching it on TV(They started showing it year 2000 in Sweden) when I was 9; then I bought cards(not just TCG-cards, those other cards were far more popular where I lived).
    My cousins had Pokémon blue(I think) on their Game Boy and after a whole lot of nagging I managed to get my mother to buy me a Game Boy too. Though at the time Pokémon Gold/Silver had already been released so I got Pokémon Gold.

I remember falling in love with Pokémon during the first episode, I was totally hooked!

Back