• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.

obZen

Kill Your Heroes
Years
  • I'm not even going to look at Android until 5.0 comes out with all of the power saving features. My entry level Windows Phone can go two days before I have to charge it.

I can't wait for this either, plus ART is gonna be default
    I should see a big boost, since I'm running the experimental ART on the Nexus 5 atm

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I am pretty OK with phones that last half a day with intensive usage seeing as I almost always carry a USB charger. One that can charge my phone several times over due to its large battery.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
  • ...and that basically negates all arguments by Buouysel.

As long as a phone lasts me for 10 hours with heavy usage, I'm fine. I'm never more than 10 hours away from my home or car charger.

My point is that Android is so inefficient currently. If I don't use my phone at all I bet it would last a week. It lasts nearly two days with moderate usage. My last Android device could sit on my desk at work, not used at all and would drain the battery to 30% in just 8 hours.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Search Ars Technica for the HTC One (M8) for Windows review. It kind of demonstrates that Windows Phone just makes a phone live much longer under normal circumstances. It is funny how even a software swap is enough to squeeze in several extra hours' worth of battery life with everything on full throttle while browsing the Internet. "Power saver" on Android does go ahead of WP, but at a huge cost - really slow phone, anyone?

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • "Power saver" on Android does go ahead of WP, but at a huge cost - really slow phone, anyone?

You meant, as in underclocking? If I recall correctly, underclocking can make any hardware less power consuming while sacrificing some performance, which is why I don't use it. I don't overclock my phone, either.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    You meant, as in underclocking? If I recall correctly, underclocking can make any hardware less power consuming while sacrificing some performance, which is why I don't use it. I don't overclock my phone, either.

Yeah, exactly that. Makes me wonder what kind of record WPs can set if Battery Saver also underclocked the CPU.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    My point is that Android is so inefficient currently. If I don't use my phone at all I bet it would last a week. It lasts nearly two days with moderate usage. My last Android device could sit on my desk at work, not used at all and would drain the battery to 30% in just 8 hours.

That could just be your last phone - if mine's at 100% when I leave for work and I don't touch it all day, I leave work at 95-90%.

Thomas was being really rude though. :/

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    A wedged background process can, and probably will kill the battery life of any device, no matter what OS it is running. Updates are your friend...and so is judicious rebooting.

obZen

Kill Your Heroes
    Years
  • My point is that Android is so inefficient currently. If I don't use my phone at all I bet it would last a week. It lasts nearly two days with moderate usage. My last Android device could sit on my desk at work, not used at all and would drain the battery to 30% in just 8 hours.

There are lots of confounding factors though. What're the battery sizes (mAh) between the two phones? Processor strength? Screen size? Screen resolution?

People praised the iPhone 4 so much because of its unparalleled battery life, despite it having a small battery. Yet, it only had a 640 resolution iirc and a tiny screen, and lacked anything beyond 3G radios
    It's not fair to compare and contrast without noting these differences
    Note: See iPhone 5S and iPhone 6, 6 has a bigger battery, but larger screen and higher resolution
    Therefore, I'm sure the battery life will actually be the same, despite a bigger battery. But I'll wait for GSMarena to perform their endurance tests

Search Ars Technica for the HTC One (M8) for Windows review. It kind of demonstrates that Windows Phone just makes a phone live much longer under normal circumstances. It is funny how even a software swap is enough to squeeze in several extra hours' worth of battery life with everything on full throttle while browsing the Internet. "Power saver" on Android does go ahead of WP, but at a huge cost - really slow phone, anyone?

This was known before the M8 Windows Phone, or a least it should have been
    Take two phone with identical resolutions, screen sizes, and batteries (or make proportions to even them out) and you have yourself a fair comparison
    Windows Phone has been the best for battery life since Windows Phone 8 came out
    I compared a bunch of phones by their listed 3G battery lives on GSM networks, and divided the standby hours by the mAh battery size, making sure that I compared phones with the same clock speed and sscreen size (and resolution), and kept getting the best numbers from Windows Phone

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    This was known before the M8 Windows Phone, or a least it should have been
    Take two phone with identical resolutions, screen sizes, and batteries (or make proportions to even them out) and you have yourself a fair comparison
    Windows Phone has been the best for battery life since Windows Phone 8 came out
    I compared a bunch of phones by their listed 3G battery lives on GSM networks, and divided the standby hours by the mAh battery size, making sure that I compared phones with the same clock speed and sscreen size (and resolution), and kept getting the best numbers from Windows Phone

8.0 is actually pretty awful in terms of standby power usage; things worked out for the most part with 8.1, at least with Lumia handsets.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I recently download iOS 8.0 expecting some drastic changes from the previous release, but I really can't see much worthy of a whole new release. There's a couple of new apps, smarter features etc but there's no real changes that have an impact like iOS 7.0 did. Slighty disappointed to say the least.

Years
  • iOS 8 was a bit sluggish for me last night at first, but when using it today it was just fine. I look forward to enjoying it haha

Oh, and I love the idea of widgets in iOS 8 as well. It's about time Apple gave in on those.

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
  • I recently download iOS 8.0 expecting some drastic changes from the previous release, but I really can't see much worthy of a whole new release. There's a couple of new apps, smarter features etc but there's no real changes that have an impact like iOS 7.0 did. Slighty disappointed to say the least.

Well, you can't expect a massive UI overhaul every year.

I am really glad Apple has decided to open its doors a little more with iOS 8. Finally able to type on my iPhone using the Swype keyboard without any jailbreak required. Overall, iOS 8 is still better than the abomination known as iOS 6.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    New OS + first day of playing around with it = expect some things to not be up to expectations simply because you're actively playing around with it.

Years
  • Well, for some odd reason, span title tags aren't showing up in Google Chrome on my desktop, but they show up on Google Chrome on my laptop. Weird...

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Well, for some odd reason, span title tags aren't showing up in Google Chrome on my desktop, but they show up on Google Chrome on my laptop. Weird...

Check extensions one-by-one. Try visiting the same page after all extensions are disabled.

If not, reinstall.

Years
  • Well, I'm now the owner of a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7" version. Gonna play with it some today and see how I like it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back