• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Pyromancers: Fire-type Pokémon Club

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • The flaming horses could always go for a Speedy buly Support kit with Fire Spin, Toxic, and Protect set and with Flare Blitz as a last resort move to prevent being taunt meals. Its not the best way to run them, nor the best set to use, but at least it may get the job done in the flaming horses' respective tier. Most people wouldn't probably expect the really fast but shallow move pool horses to suddenly trap a non-poison immune type into an endless string of damage-over time, and with the quickness of the horses, i think it can get the job done (in its respective tier of course)

Speaking of fire based meta teams, has anyone tried out a good competitive Sun Team for the 6th gen? I've seen mostly a lot of Sun teams go wild back in the 5th Gen with Drought-Tales + Darmanitan sweeps aboard (Thanks shofu.. mmmmm bitch!). I was thinking of making my own 6th sun teams to play against my friends as I'm not yet prepared to play VS the much better players in online or Smogon's battle finder (minus the trolls with choice specs Haxorous). Its always fun seeing a supposed type-matchup go horribly the wrong way for the Water type when Drought + Darmanitans are whipping even the bulkiest of water types with such sheer force (Puns of damage intented)

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 20, 2015
    Name: CageTheMartyr
    Pick two Fire-type Partner Pokémon: Infernape + Charizard
    Reason(s) for liking Fire-types: They have many weaknesses, but they are also strong against many. They can be brought together as a team for devastating attacks!
    Answer to current topic:
    Ponyta, and its evoloution Rapidash i do not like very much, it is far too weak for what it should actually be!

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • Name: CageTheMartyr
    Pick two Fire-type Partner Pokémon: Infernape + Charizard
    Reason(s) for liking Fire-types: They have many weaknesses, but they are also strong against many. They can be brought together as a team for devastating attacks!
    Answer to current topic:
    Ponyta, and its evoloution Rapidash i do not like very much, it is far too weak for what it should actually be!

Welcome! Rapidash unfortunately doesn't get quite the moves and stats to do what it should be able to do as a Fire-type attacker.

I didn't realize it's been this long, but here's another Pokémon of the Week!

Spoiler:

Moltres!

SoulSilver Pokédex: This legendary bird Pokémon is said to bring early spring to the wintry lands it visits.

Spring is finally here, where is Moltres?

Moltres is my hands-down favorite Legendary Pokémon. It's my favorite design and my favorite type and it's pretty strong too. It's just overall an awesome Pokémon if you ask me.

Oblox

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 9, 2021
    Yep Moltres and all the legendary birds are really fun to play and great designs. I like moltres and remember having a real battle trying to catch him in soulsilver, took me ages and tons of pokeballs. I think in the end I flashed him to insignificance then just took my time trying to put him to sleep and throw balls.

I think I used all the birds quite a lot in my Red/Yellow games and was definitely training up Zapdos and Moltres in Soulsilver.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 20, 2015
    Welcome! Rapidash unfortunately doesn't get quite the moves and stats to do what it should be able to do as a Fire-type attacker.

I didn't realize it's been this long, but here's another Pokémon of the Week!

Spoiler:

Moltres!

SoulSilver Pokédex: This legendary bird Pokémon is said to bring early spring to the wintry lands it visits.

Spring is finally here, where is Moltres?

Moltres is my hands-down favorite Legendary Pokémon. It's my favorite design and my favorite type and it's pretty strong too. It's just overall an awesome Pokémon if you ask me.
    Moltres is a freaking awesome Pokemon and i think it is definitely a Pokemon, if i can get my hands on it, i would usually have on my team.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Designwise, i'm not a big fan of Moltres especially when you compare to how Articuno majestically looks and how fierce looking Zapdos is. Honestly, I find Moltres the least interesting of the legendary birds but just because its the least interesting, it doesn't mean it isn't interesting at all so to speak. Though if there's one thing it does to is that it's a "better Charizard" in most cases.

Then i realized that Moltres can actually have the following moves:
    Agility, Fire Blast, Hurricane, Roost.

Yep. A fire type that can work in a rain team because it can learn Hurricane and can use Agility to outspeed a lot of threats? Now i just had some newfound respect for this thing. As i said it before, I find Moltres the least interesting looking of all the legendary birds, but it does make up for quite an excellent movepool.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2015
    NAME: dat_one_pokemon_masta
    TWO FAV FIRE STARTERS: I would probably go with Blaziken, and probably Typhlosion. I don't want to sound like an annoying 5 year old, but they are pretty darn strong. Due to Blaziken's speed combined with it's completely badass attack/sp, it pretty much sweeps the entire battlefield, but its defense brings it down. However, with Typhlosion, it has awesome attack and I use it more as a bulky sponge for other attacks, and combined with blaziken gives you a clear win every time.
    TOPIC: I use moltres whenever my entei is not available, and I usually go with a triple type attack (raikou, entei, suicune/ moltres, articuno, zapdos) for my triple battles. With its solarbeam to back itself up from water attacks, it has very good stats, and is used by me as a not-so-quick-special sweeper.

So Yeah! I would like to become a member, if that's ok. thanks!

Wicked3DS

Years
  • NAME: dat_one_pokemon_masta
    TWO FAV FIRE STARTERS: I would probably go with Blaziken, and probably Typhlosion. I don't want to sound like an annoying 5 year old, but they are pretty darn strong. Due to Blaziken's speed combined with it's completely badass attack/sp, it pretty much sweeps the entire battlefield, but its defense brings it down. However, with Typhlosion, it has awesome attack and I use it more as a bulky sponge for other attacks, and combined with blaziken gives you a clear win every time.
    TOPIC: I use moltres whenever my entei is not available, and I usually go with a triple type attack (raikou, entei, suicune/ moltres, articuno, zapdos) for my triple battles. With its solarbeam to back itself up from water attacks, it has very good stats, and is used by me as a not-so-quick-special sweeper.

So Yeah! I would like to become a member, if that's ok. thanks!

Welcome! I like Blaziken a lot, so I know exactly what you mean. Typhlosion is pretty cool too, I just wish it got some better moves.

Sorry for the delay guys, I was sick this week and got a big behind. Here's the next Pokémon of the Week:

Spoiler:

Heatmor!

Black Pokédex: It breathes through a hole in its tail while it burns with an internal fire. Durant is its prey.

I'm not a fan of Heatmor. I suppose it's not a terrible Pokémon, but I can't stand to look at it, so I really don't have any desire to use it.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • If there's one thing i do like about Heatmor, is that its another of those pokemon with really grim pokedex entries. Sure Seviper and Zangoose had a rather "grim" one as well where its implied that they kill each other, but that's not expressively stated in their entries. But Heatmor, you don't pluck with heatmor if you're a durant. Its White dex entry expressively states that it literally kills them for food.

Looking at heatmor, I thought he was a physical attacker, until i carefully looked at its base stat totals and saw that it had more Special attack... anyway, Heatmor. Even though it looks kinda ugly, i do like it because its an ant-eater and i happen to like those animals.

Heatmor has some potential despite not having the best base stats. It can have access to certain moves that most fire types dream of having such as Giga Drain and even a rock type move (Rock Blast). I'm the kind of trainer who loves seeing the potential of pokemon based on what moves they have access to and who that pokemon can counteract against and Heatmor is something that can be viable in certain matchups and teams.. of course I'm not going to bring Heatmor into OU or even UU and tell them fellow combatants that I'm about to break their metagames and their faces with a freaking Heatmor amirite?

Wicked3DS

Years
  • Time for a new Pokémon!

Spoiler:

Flareon!

Yellow Pokédex: It has a flame chamber inside its body. It inhales, then blows out fire that is over 3,000F degrees.

That could turn you straight to ash.

Flareon is pretty cool, but it gets a lot of flack for having a bad stat/movepool/type combination. You'd think with a Dex entry like that, it'd get a better Special Attack stat, but apparently not. I do like it's design though and it's still a decent enough Pokémon to use.

Oblox

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 9, 2021
    I've always liked the Eevee lines design but their stats movepools just leave me feeling a bit meh. Some are good but some are just not.

Ive always wanted to breed a full Eevee team and probably still will at some point but whether ill use them is another thing entirely.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • I can pretty much say this a couple of times but Flareon is pretty much part of those fire types that got better after the physical/special split. Having access to flare blitz, that is pretty much the STAB move of choice, though the movepool is still pretty limited with only Superpower is the only other option for coverage. Flareon does have access to moves such as Wish much similar to its eeveelutionary cousins so i guess that's a pretty cool niche that it has, otherwise, its a "poor man's" Darmanitan as far as spamming Sun boosted Flare Blitz goes.

In terms of appearance well Flareon is somewhat there. I like Flareon's design.

Wicked3DS

Years
  • My last round ended up being a post and go due to a lack of activity lately, but I have another Pokémon for us this week!

Spoiler:

Monferno!

Pearl Pokédex: It uses ceilings and walls to launch aerial attacks. Its fiery tail is but one weapon.

A resourceful ninja monkey. I like it.

Actually, I'm not the biggest fan of this line in the world due to the fact that they were the second Fire/Fighting-type starter line in a row (don't even bring up Emboar) and they were no match for Blaziken. In any case, they are still pretty strong and can do a good bit of damage in many different ways. I remember seeing Monferno fighting against Paul as Ash's last Pokémon, and even though it didn't win it for him, it put up an amazing fight trying.

Years
  • I love that pic, and it's nice considering I feel like Monferno never gets good fanart.

But onto the topic, Chimchar's line is my fave Sinnoh starter and given I'm the monkey in Chinese Zodiac (ironically I'm not a fire monkey since the year I was born fell in the water element hahaha) but it's also fast and hits hard, along with learning loads of attacks through level-up, TMs and move tutors allowing it to have tons of type coverage to handle almost anything it's up against.

Given the general lack of Fire-types in the Sinnoh Dex (in fact, DP specifically only had Chimchar and Ponyta lines) and my tendency to have a Grass/Fire/Water trio on my team, it was natural I always mostly picked Chimchar.

Wicked3DS

Years
  • I love that pic, and it's nice considering I feel like Monferno never gets good fanart.

But onto the topic, Chimchar's line is my fave Sinnoh starter and given I'm the monkey in Chinese Zodiac (ironically I'm not a fire monkey since the year I was born fell in the water element hahaha) but it's also fast and hits hard, along with learning loads of attacks through level-up, TMs and move tutors allowing it to have tons of type coverage to handle almost anything it's up against.

Given the general lack of Fire-types in the Sinnoh Dex (in fact, DP specifically only had Chimchar and Ponyta lines) and my tendency to have a Grass/Fire/Water trio on my team, it was natural I always mostly picked Chimchar.

I was about to say that Houndour was in Sinnoh, but it was only in Platinum, so you're correct there :P

With the lack of Fire-types, it's natural that the Chimchar line would get used so much. I think I just didn't like them because I was already a fan of Blaziken and I didn't like Infernape nearly as much, although I do have to admit that it's very strong and is able to do a lot of good things in battle.

Wicked3DS

Years
  • Gonne give Monferno a little more time in the spotlight before moving on since we've only had one reply to it so far.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Ahh chimchar's line. Well if there's one thing i loved about Chimchar on its respective game is that it beats BOTH OF THE STARTERS thanks to its advantages. Being a fast and hard hitting glass cannon of a fire/fight type, it definitely outspeeds turtwig's line and when it becomes infernape and goes up against Empoloen, its secondary fighting type gives it the necessary STAB to beat Empoleon 1v1. So basically Infernape outclasses BOTH Sinnoh starters in a 1v1 (:

If there's one thing i like about picking chimchar and it becoming Monferno upon evolution, it learns a really useful Priority STAB in Mach Punch, which definitely helps against the plehtora of fast foes during the travels.

Last edited:

Wicked3DS

Years
  • Time for another Pokémon of the Week!

Spoiler:

Torchic!

I'd just like to point out how Torchic's Dex entries show it to be a foe not to be messed with...

Ruby Pokédex: Torchic sticks with its Trainer, following behind with unsteady steps. This Pokémon breathes fire of over 1,800 degrees F, including fireballs that leave the foe scorched black.

...while also being great for cuddling.

Sapphire Pokédex: Torchic has a place inside its body where it keeps its flame. Give it a hug - it will be glowing with warmth. This Pokémon is covered all over by a fluffy coat of down.

Torchic is very cute and it evolves into my second favorite Fire-type Pokémon, so needless to say I like it very much.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • I can say this a million times but I absolutely love Torchic. The first time seeing it in a gen 3 game, I immediately wanted to pick it over Mudkip and Treeko because after all, its a chick. And I like chickens.

Back