• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Pyromancers: Fire-type Pokémon Club

Somewhere_

i don't know where
Years
  • Username: BadSheep
    Partner Pokemon: Chimchar Cyndaquil
    Opinion on torchic? Pretty cute, but i dislike its final evolution's design. I prefer the other hoenn starters.
    Favorite fire type starters?
    Chimchar was my first ever starter and cyndaquil was my second. They are both super cute, but powerful at the same time!

Years
  • Torchic is my second fave Hoenn starter, only behind Mudkip. And I wouldn't blame all the fans of this cutie and its evolution line given it goes from warm and adorable to a hotheaded badass kicking chicken that's so powerful it got banned in standard competitive play thanks to a certain infamous ability. But still, you can't help but love how it's one of the most popular Fire-types among the general fanbase itself because the design of its evolution line works and has general appeal.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • Username: BadSheep
    Partner Pokemon: Chimchar Cyndaquil
    Opinion on torchic? Pretty cute, but i dislike its final evolution's design. I prefer the other hoenn starters.
    Favorite fire type starters?
    Chimchar was my first ever starter and cyndaquil was my second. They are both super cute, but powerful at the same time!

Welcome! You dislike Blaziken's design?! :O Haha but I must agree about Chimchar and Cyndaquil being both cute and powerful.

I don't like that Blaziken got banned for Speed Boost, I feel like you should still be able to use it without that ability.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • Welcome! You dislike Blaziken's design?! :O Haha but I must agree about Chimchar and Cyndaquil being both cute and powerful.

I don't like that Blaziken got banned for Speed Boost, I feel like you should still be able to use it without that ability.

I agree. I think I would have a better view on Blazekin if we could use it without speed boost in competitive. What would it be? UU? OU? Probably UU because it lacks priority (i think?) and only has base 80 speed. It is also sort of frail, but might be a decent mixed attacker. If only it had u-turn because then a scarf set would be amazing.

Wicked3DS

Years
  • Let's have another Pokémon of the Week, shall we?

Spoiler:

Quilava!

Ruby/Sapphire Pokédex: Quilava keeps its foes at bay with the intensity of its flames and gusts of superheated air. This Pokémon applies its outstanding nimbleness to dodge attacks even while scorching the foes with flames.

That's pretty cool.

This family of Pokémon has always struck me as interesting. They have a lot of potential because of their stats, but they don't quite get a movepool to take advantage of them. Still, Quilava and the rest of its family are very cool and given the right tools can be very good Pokémon to use.

ThatSlashGuy

that tech guy
    Years
  • Name: ThatSlashGuy
    Pick two Fire-type Partner Pokémon: Camerupt, and Infernape
    Reason(s) for liking Fire-types: The first type I picked when playing the games, plus some of them are pretty good for battling. Overall there designs are unique and tasteful.
    Answer to current topic: Opinion on Quilava? Pretty bland in my opinion, the only thing he has going for him is the flames on his back. His movepool in Gen 2 was lackluster, and the newer generations still don't cut it for him. Don't get me wrong I love the Cyndaquil line but Quilava was the four-legged stage 1 evo that killed it for me.

Years
  • Ah yeah Cyndaquil line aka my fave Johto starter...

Quilava, being a middle stage Pokemon is forgettable, but also marks the perfect branch between Cyndaquil and Typhlosion. I used it as my starter in Soul Silver and it definitely did me well thanks to having a decent team backing it up. The design is simple, but it's effective.

Wicked3DS

Years
  • Name: ThatSlashGuy
    Pick two Fire-type Partner Pokémon: Camerupt, and Infernape
    Reason(s) for liking Fire-types: The first type I picked when playing the games, plus some of them are pretty good for battling. Overall there designs are unique and tasteful.
    Answer to current topic: Opinion on Quilava? Pretty bland in my opinion, the only thing he has going for him is the flames on his back. His movepool in Gen 2 was lackluster, and the newer generations still don't cut it for him. Don't get me wrong I love the Cyndaquil line but Quilava was the four-legged stage 1 evo that killed it for me.

Welcome! I personally think Quilava is quite cool, even though it does have a lackluster movepool. In fact, the whole line would be further up my favorite Pokémon list if they had better moves to use. It's also possible that it would be my favorite Johto starter if that were the case, but instead it's actually the Totodile line.

ThatSlashGuy

that tech guy
    Years
  • Welcome! I personally think Quilava is quite cool, even though it does have a lackluster movepool. In fact, the whole line would be further up my favorite Pokémon list if they had better moves to use. It's also possible that it would be my favorite Johto starter if that were the case, but instead it's actually the Totodile line.

Personally, the Totodile line is my absolute favorite starter line in any game as of yet, going from a cute lil' chomper, to a huge gator with sharp teeth.

jessluvstolaugh

Video game maniac
    Years
  • Name: jessluvstolaugh
    Pick two Fire-type Partner Pokémon: Houndoom, Ninetails
    Reason(s) for liking Fire-types: They have cool designs and most of the dog pokemon are fire types and I love dogs.
    Answer to current topic: Yeah, I have always chosen cyndaquil in gold or silver.

My all time favorite fire type (and one of my faves overall) is Houndoom! He is awesome! He is based off the Hell Hound, which is a mythological creature. Houndoom is so cool! When I first saw him in the anime I was immediately captivated by him. I've had a houndoom in every one of my teams. Another cool Pokemon is Ninetails, who is based off the Kitsune. If you know anything about Japanese mythology, then you probably already know about Kitsunes but if not they are basically spirit foxes with many powers. As for competitive use, a ninetails with energy ball, psyshock, will-o-wisp, heat wave and confuse ray is a must have! I like fire types because they tend to have a very good learnset. They also have the neatest designs. I have always started with a fire type, including cyndaquil.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wicked3DS

Years
  • Name: jessluvstolaugh
    Pick two Fire-type Partner Pokémon: Houndoom, Ninetails
    Reason(s) for liking Fire-types: They have cool designs and most of the dog pokemon are fire types and I love dogs.
    Answer to current topic: Yeah, I have always chosen cyndaquil in gold or silver.

My all time favorite fire type (and one of my faves overall) is Houndoom! He is awesome! He is based off the Hell Hound, which is a mythological creature. Houndoom is so cool! When I first saw him in the anime I was immediately captivated by him. I've had a houndoom in every one of my teams. Another cool Pokemon is Ninetails, who is based off the Kitsune. If you know anything about Japanese mythology, then you probably already know about Kitsunes but if not they are basically spirit foxes with many powers. As for competitive use, a ninetails with energy ball, psyshock, will-o-wisp, heat wave and confuse ray is a must have! I like fire types because they tend to have a very good learnset. They also have the neatest designs. I have always started with a fire type, including cyndaquil.

Welcome! Ninetales and Houndoom are both great, I agree. I love their designs and they are both pretty useful Pokémon in battle for sure.

Also I merged your double post and put your sign-up at the top just because I think it looks better that way :P

Asariond

The People's Musketeer!
    Years
  • Would I be able to sign up? Thanks!

Name: Asariond
    Pick two Fire-type Partner Pokémon: Arcanine and Volcarona
    Reason(s) for liking Fire-types:
    They're a light in the darkness and a hearth in the cold. Besides, who doesn't love using flaming moths to decimate eldritch creatures and borderline gods?
    Answer to current topic:
    My first starter on Silver (and Soul Silver, for that matter) was a Cyndaquil, and evolving it into a Quilava was a brilliant achievement at the time. Of course, it was nothing compared to Typhlosion, who is an amazing badass.

Wicked3DS

Years
  • Would I be able to sign up? Thanks!

Name: Asariond
    Pick two Fire-type Partner Pokémon: Arcanine and Volcarona
    Reason(s) for liking Fire-types:
    They're a light in the darkness and a hearth in the cold. Besides, who doesn't love using flaming moths to decimate eldritch creatures and borderline gods?
    Answer to current topic:
    My first starter on Silver (and Soul Silver, for that matter) was a Cyndaquil, and evolving it into a Quilava was a brilliant achievement at the time. Of course, it was nothing compared to Typhlosion, who is an amazing badass.

Welcome! By "flaming moth" I'm assuming Volcarona, considering you picked it as a partner, which I must say is one of my favorites. It's a beast and it totally wrecks opponents, enough said. And I have to agree, Typhlosion is pretty badass, even if it is lacking a bit in its movepool.

jessluvstolaugh

Video game maniac
    Years
  • Welcome! Ninetales and Houndoom are both great, I agree. I love their designs and they are both pretty useful Pokémon in battle for sure.

Also I merged your double post and put your sign-up at the top just because I think it looks better that way :P

Alright, thanks!

Wicked3DS

Years
  • Well I'm back after a week of madness. Let's get another Pokémon of the Week up here!

Spoiler:

Chandelure!

Black Pokédex: It absorbs a spirit, which it then burns. By waving the flames on its arms, it puts its foes into a hypnotic trance.

A creepy Pokédex entry for Chandelure? I never would've guessed.

Chandelure is pretty fantastic. An inhabited chandelier is perfect for a Ghost/Fire-type Pokémon, not to mention that it's a very awesome type combination aside from having 5 weaknesses. It's also a very good Special Attacker that gets a great movepool to take advantage of it.

Last edited:

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • Shandelure has a great design in my opinion. It has a REALLY high special attack stat, which pairs well with its powerful STAB moves. The only thing is, its pretty slow. It needs to have fast mons on its team or something that can tank hits directed at it. Or sticky web support. I prefer the specs set of scarf because it pretty much destroys everything lol.

aperrentis

Degreaser politics
    Years
  • Name: Aperrentis
    Pick two Fire-type Partner Pokémon: Blaziken and Heatran
    Reason(s) for liking Fire-types: Obviously the best starter type to pick in every region.
    Chandelure: It's okay I guess... Nice type combo. Heat Rotom eat your heart out.

Wicked3DS

Years
  • Name: Aperrentis
    Pick two Fire-type Partner Pokémon: Blaziken and Heatran
    Reason(s) for liking Fire-types: Obviously the best starter type to pick in every region.
    Chandelure: It's okay I guess... Nice type combo. Heat Rotom eat your heart out.

Welcome! You're right about the starters...except for Gen IV and V, in my book :P And yes, Chandelure is definitely better than Heat Rotom (which is actually Electric/Fire, not Ghost/Fire).

Rain T.

"You clods!"
    Years
  • Name: Rain T.
    Pick two Fire-type Partner Pokémon: How can I pick only two?! Umm...Talonflame and Mega Charizard X.
    Reason(s) for liking Fire-types: They're so hawt! Haha, I actually think most look pretty awesome. And those that don't look awesome look cute! I also somehow end up with a Fire type on every team I make! I am a very offensive battler, so I guess it's the high Attack/Sp. Attack that beckons me.
    Answer to current topic: Chandelure? I take it this is supposed to be, like, my thoughts on the Pokemon? Well I love Chandelure. That black coloring with the blue/purple flames? So creepy and amazing! And it's fun to use in battle as well.

Substitute Doll

An Alolan Exeggutor
    Years
  • Name: BlazeKirby9000 (My Minecraft name)
    2 Fire Favourites: Blaziken and Hoomdoum
    Reasons for liking: My first starter I've ever chose was a Torchic in pokemon ruby and I wanted a fire team, and my team has defeated water, rock, and ground types in a hit (or two(or many...)).
    Chandelure: On my team! The type combo is one of the best. Spooky.

Last edited:
    Back