• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    Just wondering why everyone hacks FR and not LG?
    Is there a reason or just because everyone favors it?

There's not much difference between the two. However, most people hack FR because not everyone keeps a LG rom; since FR hacks were more common in the first place, it makes more sense to hack FR because then everyone has the chance to play it. :>

Sora's Nobody

The Official Roxas
    Years
  • I might as well ask here too as i might get an answer but why does this happen on som ows i resize but on otheres not and how can make that not happen?

gl3500

Glcelebi The Rom Hacker
    Years
  • I have a few questions...

1. When I use a script editor to edit texts, a msgbox may copy itself into another msgbox and screw up the text.
    2. When I try to load a picture into UNLZ.gba, it says this error: "Error Image not indexed"
    3. Sometimes my scripts ruin themselves

I had a similar prob to your second question. The way i fixed this is i saved the 'Edited' picture as a GIF format before i imported it.
    Hope i answered your 2nd Q. For the othas, what script editor are you using?

Soulweaver

a mirage
    Years
  • Searched, didn't find.

Is it yet possible to change the BGM of a certain HGSS map? I need the sound effects for Voltorb Flip, but I can't record them with the Game Corner music playing on the background, and my efforts in browsing through the game's VERY unorganized gs_sound_data.sdat file left me with certain missing sounds (namely level advance, level drop, memo mode on/off, memo on tile, normal "click" sound, "can't do that" sound). So, I need to change the BG music of Game Corner to silence.

If the knowledge to do this already exists, I'd be happy with either instructions on what to do, or a patch file (for USA HG ROM).

EDIT: Problem solved myself by making a copy of the ROM and manually editing all volume entries of the song in gs_sound_data.sdat to hex 00 in a hex editor.

Last edited:

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years
  • Hi, I need help with connections. When ever I go to a new map, it freezes. Here is a video about it. (This isn't even alpha, so don't be expecting a hack soon :P)

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/4315/capture1.mp4 (Sorry for bad quality, just took Camtasia and made a quick .avi, nothing special.)

Well for starters, just remove all of the connections on the gatehouse map as well as the connections on the routes that link to the gatehouse. You should only be using connections if the player is supposed to walk directly from one map onto another. Because of this, they're most often used to "connect" one outdoor map to another and are rarely seen in indoor maps. As for the game crashing glitch, there are a number of things that could be causing that. It's a really common problem that you see posted in this thread all the time. If I can remember, people often suggest that you check all of the people events on the map and see if any of them have the behavior called "Hidden". Apparently that causes the game to crash. If that's not the source of the problem, then I would recommend searching this thread because I can guarantee that many others have had the same problem as you.

Ready4failure

my friends and i on youtube...
    Years
  • petz94, if you search for Advance map, and read (i think) Neti's tut, somewhere it tells not only how to make a warp, but how to change any tile to a warp. that should help a lot, I hope.

as for me, after thirty tries, I got my map to work! YAYZ. but, the pallette is wrong. I looked up the offset for it, and tried changing it in advance pallette, but the map still looks like, well, its in my album, i can't post it. (not enough posts yet) I have VBA, a hex editor, and obviously pallette editor. so, anyone know what I need to do to fix this? People have touched on it, but never really said what exactly is needed... (so far as I found)

Muffin™

Knows your age
    Years
  • Well for starters, just remove all of the connections on the gatehouse map as well as the connections on the routes that link to the gatehouse. You should only be using connections if the player is supposed to walk directly from one map onto another. Because of this, they're most often used to "connect" one outdoor map to another and are rarely seen in indoor maps. As for the game crashing glitch, there are a number of things that could be causing that. It's a really common problem that you see posted in this thread all the time. If I can remember, people often suggest that you check all of the people events on the map and see if any of them have the behavior called "Hidden". Apparently that causes the game to crash. If that's not the source of the problem, then I would recommend searching this thread because I can guarantee that many others have had the same problem as you.

There's no person events on the map; I removed the connections, thank god :> The map still crashes when I enter Route 1, though :/

monkeybard

boop
    Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2023
    Well I searched and found nothing on my problem [then again I could just have bad keyword searching skills] so if this has been asked before, I apologise.
    So I just started hacking recently to learn some things, have some fun, etc. Today I replaced the hero's sprite. It was indexed, the background colour was first in the palette, and then I wrote it to the ROM (this is all in unLZ GBA) but then it says the compressed size was too big and blah. So I found a suitable offset and then wrote the sprite there [all boxes were ticked] But when I tested it out in my ROM, the colours were all messed up. Now I can't find the sprite (because it was repointed) and I dunno how to fix it. heelp? D:
    Paged D: I really would appreciate some insight. I'm not sure when I made my last backup, but it was prolly before I inserted Chimchar.

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2010
    (Sorry if this is off-topic of your current discussion) I've searched around and haven't found anything here. Does anyone know what kind of image compression RBY uses?

Last edited:

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    Paged D: I really would appreciate some insight. I'm not sure when I made my last backup, but it was prolly before I inserted Chimchar.

You can't find it in Unlz-GBA?
    You have to delete these files before opening your ROM with Unlz-GBA.
    11a9yqt.jpg

the files with the .spr and .pal extensions...

monkeybard

boop
    Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2023

You can't find it in Unlz-GBA?
    You have to delete these files before opening your ROM with Unlz-GBA.
    11a9yqt.jpg

the files with the .spr and .pal extensions...
    Don't worry, I figured I rewrote the wrong palette (so chances are I screwed something up pretty badly graphics wise, but won't notice anyway) so I went and imported it again to the wrote palette (found in the back sprite) It works properly now, but thanks for trying :]

Muffin™

Knows your age
    Years
  • Hi, I need help with going into maps. When ever I go to a new map, it freezes. I have no person events with "hidden" in there info. I checked everything, but still, I need help.

EDIT:

Made vid for it :3

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2012
    hey my game resets after the name selection screen. Is there any way to fix this?

BlitŻ1

guahh my dog is so cute
    Years
  • Hi, I need help with going into maps. When ever I go to a new map, it freezes. I have no person events with "hidden" in there info. I checked everything, but still, I need help.

EDIT:

Made vid for it :3

Well, just for trial and error sakes, here's what I do to get my maps that freeze when i go onto them: Try to reinsert them into another map ^^

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
    Years
  • Well, just for trial and error sakes, here's what I do to get my maps that freeze when i go onto them: Try to reinsert them into another map ^^

The freeze because of the map connections.

They should both have the same offset under map connections, but one should be a negative version of that number. :3

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
  • I have just figured out what has been bugging me for a long time. For some reason scripts don't work if the movement permission is not on "C". So that why scripts on bridges, or on mountains have been giving me such an headache. I think there is an unknown value I have to change to match the movement permission. Dose anyone know where, and what values must be set to match movement permission?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back