• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Religion and God

Caaethil

#1 Greninja Fan
Years
Warning: If you are religious, posts in this thread may unintentionally offend you. Similarly, if you are an atheist, you may be bothered by religious ideas. Let's not flame, 'kay? :)​

Old thread was locked for (my) necroposting. Woops. So here we go, back on the controversy train! Talk about religion and God. Some questions to answer if you're stuck:
  • Do you believe in a God?
  • Should people believe in a God?
  • Do you think there is evidence of God?
  • Is religion good?
  • Does religion have anything of value to offer to society?
  • Has religion ever had anything of value to offer to society?

I'm just gonna dump my post/rant about why I'm an atheist from the old thread here. Slightly edited, and a bit rough around the edges, but it's just my thoughts.

At a young age I was a Christian. My school believed it and told me it, and my parents taught me it just because I wasn't old enough and they wanted me to be happy believing in Heaven or whatever. I became an athiest for quite a while. Later, I started calling myself agnostic instead, and now I'm kind of edging more towards the term atheism, because I am becoming increasingly less inclined to subscribe to the whole "be open to all possibilities thing".

My current stance: If there is no empirical evidence to suggest something exists, it does not exist. You can try to find empirical evidence to prove it exists, but until you do, for all intents and purposes, it does not exist.

I treat people telling me that a God exists the same as I would treat them telling me that there is a unicorn living in the core of the Sun, our major political figures are all alien reptiles and the Earth is flat.

The only difference, and I mean the only difference, is that one has been consistently accepted for such a long time that people just believe it because everybody else told them to.

If you are religious, consider this. Why do you follow your religion, and not another? If you are not a Christian, what makes your religion more real than Christianity? If you are a Christian, what makes your religion more real than Islam, Hinduism, Judaism and so on? The point I am making is that most of these religions will have just as much evidence as you do. They have a holy book, they have teachings, they have morals. They have people who have claimed to have inner experiences, and they have large cultures dedicated to their individual faiths.

So why is yours better? As Richard Dawkins (a man I respect quite a lot) said "We are all atheists about most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further."

So really, we atheists are just the same as the theists (religious people) out there. The only difference is that we deny one more God (or quite a few more, if you follow a polytheistic religion). So why do you believe in your God(s), then? I think I can identify a few reasons:

Your background - family, friends, your general society. If you grow up in the US you might be a Christian, if you grow up in India, you might follow Hinduism. But you cannot argue that you would still follow the same religion you do now no matter what circumstances you were born in - you could be an atheist, or follow a completely different religion, had you been born elsewhere, in a different family. This kind of hurts the validity of your religion. If this is your reason for following your religion, then you accept that you do not follow your religion because it is true, you follow your religion out of coincidence. But I'm sure you have more reasons, I'll try to go through as many as I can.

It has been followed for a long time. Sure, but so have all of the others. Your religion may have been accepted for so long that it must be true, but so have so many others. This argument doesn't work, but many people simply accept that their religion has been going on for too long to be false.

You have had some kind of experience of God. So here's another one. There's not really a fully factual way for me to disprove any claims of a spiritual experience. But then, the burden of proof dictates that I'm right and you're wrong anyway, since you can't prove you have. Look, I'm not calling you a liar. You may well genuinely think God has spoken to you in some way. But I highly doubt it. The human brain is not perfect, it can be fooled. You can see things that aren't real. Sometimes you think you hear your name, and you're only in a house with one other person. They have no idea what you're talking about, they didn't call you. Weird. Yeah, weird. You just can't trust your senses all the time. If you do, you're placing far too much value on your own abilities to perceive things, because you are simply not as accurate as you think you are. This isn't just me grasping at straws making up the idea that you hallucinate whenever you claim to have a spiritual experience. The fact of the matter is that this kind of thing does happen - people's minds are wrong sometimes, they muck things up and make you imagine things.

Miracles. The universe has existed for 14 billion years, our galaxy about 13.6, the solar system and Earth about 4.5. Us evolved humans have been plodding about for about 200 000 years. In that time, it would be incredibly unlikely for incredibly unlikely things not to happen. In fact, absolutely no 'miracles' happening in that time would be a miracle in itself. Wacky stuff happens sometimes, that doesn't mean somebody made it happen.

You don't believe the universe/the stuff in it/life could be created by chance. See above. They reckon time was created during the big bang, you know. Which is weird. We don't know how exactly the big bang happened - we have some ideas, but we haven't proven any of them yet. We just know that everything, to our knowledge, was created when it happened. And there was nothing before that, probably. At least, if there was something before that, it ended, and that led to the creation of something new. So whether we assume that there is only, has only ever been and will only ever be one universe, or we assume that a universe is created as the last one dies, we know that there is a hell of a lot of time for crazy things to happen. When you're literally dealing with an infinite amount of time, or the non-existence of time, saying that anything is impossible is preposterous.

You just want to believe it. Whether you're scared of nothingness or just like the thought of a creator who's looking after you and is saving you a spot in Heaven, this is one of my least favourite arguments, if not my least favourite of all, in favour of religion. It just doesn't make sense to me. I mean, I can understand it, but I'm the kind of person who doesn't want to believe something just because it sounds nice. I want to believe the truth and what is most likely to be the truth. I don't want to live in a bubble of happy thoughts that probably aren't real. And you should think that way too. At least, I think so. This argument seems around the same vein as believing unicorns exist. Because unicorns are cool, right?

Morals. Well, did you know that morals can be explained in evolution? Think of it this way. Humans need to survive. That is the goal. That is what evolution does - it lets us adapt to survive. Evolution is not conscious, that's just how it works, scientifically. I'm not explaining it here. Anyway, what's a good way to survive and keep the species going strong? Well, killing each other ruthlessly, stealing their stuff and destroying their property is not a good start. No, that's sooner to get you killed back, or just drive the whole species into extinction. With this theory, we can suppose that at some point, there lived humans with no morals. Fortunately, they all died, because giving zero tosses about what anybody else thinks or feels is not a good way to be accepted. Humans are cooperative beings. They need to help each other. The ones that didn't died off, and only the ones who were nice and helpful to others could pass on their genes. Of course, we occasionally get outliers who seem to have no morals even these days, but that can't be helped - that happens all across nature. Evolution dictates one thing, but there will always be odd ones out.

Please ask any questions if you disagree or are unsure about something I've written.

I did not expect this to be so long.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Jun 20, 2016
Do you believe in a God?

God is law, without god there is no law.

Should people believe in a God?

Without god we are no different then machines an foolishly waste our lives on garbage, like everything in your electric brain AKA your computer. The electric brain is the original name of the computer.

Do you think there is evidence of God?

Why so many recordings and texts about god then?

Is religion good?

It keeps the world in line.

Does religion have anything of value to offer to society?

Balance and peace. For others it is racism and fear.

Has religion ever had anything of value to offer to society

You know in Haiti when the quake came and went. They said the river ran red with blood. Isn't it funny that such a poor and forgotten nation that was abandonment by the French would even suffer more. Why is that?

Without religion in my life I would probably be worst then Tommy Verciti. Without god in my life I would be a monster. But how many other monsters are out there. How many indeed. The monsters who sent people to die in a war for nothing. The monsters who are harmless right now. Where are they?

Years
I want to apologize in advanced for any hurt feelings caused. I hope my language here does not come off as inflammatory because that's not my intention.

People don't need religion to have a spiritual side, believe in higher things, etc. The fact that since we've had organized religion, since day one, people have and continue to do inhumane and terrible things in the name of religion tells me there's no value in keeping it around. There are countless other things that can give people comfort, hope, meaning, support, and love. If you get that from your belief in higher beings then that's good. I get it from my beliefs, too. I get them from my belief in the good work that good people do and from the people I care about. Really, religion is just a strange version of mental healthcare that only allows for a very limited range of treatments. In some cases it's better than nothing and although I knock it as a whole I know it's been responsible for some good things. However, it can and should be replaced so that all the baggage of religion can be consigned to the rubbish bin of history.

smocks

fiat lux
Years
Do you believe in a God?
Yes I do, I'd grew up on the ways of both Roman Catholics and Muslims. But currently I practice Catholicism.

Religion is not something that you "should" or "should not" do. Religion is just a choice, were all given free lives and it's our will that shapes that we "should" or "should not" do.

Personally, I believe there is evidence of God. (Ex. The Bible, I'll admit there are parts to it that are over exaggerated but, it's not like one day some people decided to write a ton of "BS", there has to be some truth behind it.)

Is religion good?
Religion is not good or bad, it's a practice of life that makes life so much more organized (& soulful). But, Religion contains good moral values that most follow, for example, "Thou shall not kill" and "Thou shall not steal".

Religion offers a structured lifestyle and good set of morals. (You can live a structured lifestyle without religion, but religion started off with the "rules" of life you can say.)

(PS I'm not the type of person that inflicts my beliefs onto other people, I understand why people are Atheists or Buddhists. I'm not the type of person to be madly worshipping, I'm not the "perfect" Catholic & I admit to it, I'm unconventional and religion helped me to structure my own morals & values, doesn't mean religion is my moral and values. I don't look down on people or treat others differently if they don't have the same set of beliefs as I. On top of that, there's some topics in Religion that I don't agree with, like the statement "Gay marriage shouldn't be legal" in the church I don't agree with. Everyone should be able to love others no matter what, love is unconditional and that's all to it [plus, the church says to love everyone so yea]. I personally believe that the free will God gave us when we were created, that our free will develops as we develop. Our free will decides on what to believe and what not to believe. Our "fate & future" is decided in our free will, not up to God. God gave us our lives and our free will, it's up to our own free will to decide on how to live our life. So whether if you believe in God or not, you're still going to treated the same, it's just you'd just went different ways. You're still going to be loved no matter what. We're all equal, we're all people. That's what counts, that we just acknowledge each other & love each other.)

Last edited:

KetsuekiR

Ridiculously unsure
Years
I like to think of myself as agnostic. I don't think we can prove explicitly a higher power does not exist, and it's quite possible, seeing as how unlikely it is and was for the universe to become as stable as it is now. It would've been easier for it to be a lot more chaotic and for us to not exist. Something to think about, I suppose. Of course, I don't believe in the Bible or the God as described by it. It makes little sense to me and I've always followed logic rather than faith.

I think a problem that I can express using the OP as an example is that many believe religion needs to be related to a god. This is simply not true. Look at Buddhism (which is the only religion I consider myself remotely a part of), it does not have a "god" that created anything. This is teh case with many other religions. Additionally, whatever religion people wish to follow, if any, should be up to that person. I am tremendously against the idea of teaching religion as a compulsory subject in primary schools (as is the case here) because that is a forcing of beliefs and ideas onto someone else without much consent. Thus I don't think everyone "should" believe in God, or even religion for that matter.

I don't think there's "evidence" of a god. I am a fan of science and it's rather difficult, as you would imagine, to scientifically prove the existence of any god. I disagree that the Bible is accurate or valid in terms of the science of it. I think the Bible should only be used a spiritual guide of sorts and not as a physics textbook. As Galileo once so eloquently said, "the Bible tells you how to go to heaven, not how the heavens go." And thus, no, I don't think there is evidence of a god.

Something that is interesting to note is that most religions have a very similar moral code of conduct, for lack of a better term, and thus I do believe that religion is goo for society. It helps provide a solid and structured way for people to live morally. That said, and this is the important bit, I strongly believe that people should think about the moralities enforced by religion and put them into the spotlight of logic. I would much rather follow my own morals, even if they are bad (in which case I depend on my peers to set me straight), than blindly follow those of someone else.

There's a lot more I can add to this but it's already quite the text wall and so I will refrain. :p

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
Do you believe in a God?

Not completely sure to be honest. I was raised in a partially Christian family; my father is agnostic, his mother is Christian as well as my mother and her family. I want to believe that there is something out there, but I don't think it has presented itself to us yet - or if it has we've simply ignored or forgotten about it. It is simply a feeling that I've had after hours of reading and observing myself and others. I've not lived through or experienced enough to truly make a decision about what religion I would practice if it were something you were forced to decide. But even before I really began to research religion as a whole trying to make that decision the thought had gone through my head several times that God is not actually good.

If it will bring them comfort, yes.

I believe there is evidence of what man believes to be God. But evidence of God itself not so much. I don't think that God truly would want itself to be known.

Is religion good?

For some. It is not inherently good or evil however.

Some general rules to live by. Even though people use it for hate more often than not, it can also be used for love and understanding in the right hands.

Venitardus

Breeder
Years
  • Seen Apr 9, 2018
Do you believe in a God?
Yes. My mother and her family are Catholics and raised us to be Catholics, my father doesn't know what to believe though.

If it makes them happy, sure. I'm not the one to pressure people into believing in anything.

Yes

Is religion good?
I hope so.

basic rules to live by.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Jun 20, 2016
People don't need religion to have a spiritual side, believe in higher things, etc

That is still god and the ladder is described as paganism/stargazer, or some other form of worship.

The fact that since we've had organized religion, since day one, people have and continue to do inhumane and terrible things in the name of religion tells me there's no value in keeping it around.

However it unites us as one. How do I be good? Go to night clubs and pick up desperate women.

There are countless other things that can give people comfort, hope, meaning, support, and love.

If you get that from your belief in higher beings then that's good. I get it from my beliefs, too. I get them from my belief in the good work that good people do and from the people I care about.

In religion it does not matter how much good a person does. As long as they keep to there faith in god. When you charities and people taking responsibilities for them, it does not mean anything to god at all. That person could be a doer of evil as well.

Really, religion is just a strange version of mental healthcare that only allows for a very limited range of treatments. In some cases it's better than nothing and although I knock it as a whole I know it's been responsible for some good things. However, it can and should be replaced so that all the baggage of religion can be consigned to the rubbish bin of history.

Well I am sorry but God is law. Without god all we are left with it is a bunch of pansies, liars, thieves, and too much security. You like living in a virtual "1984" world that is what it is coming to. When they disarm the world and ban god that is when the real war is going to begin. What the evil people want is to brainwash you so you could be cattle, living human live-STOCK no different then stock on wall street. They want to make hoars of our daughters and proud criminals of our sons.

Right now in my area they want to build a casino bigger then a national monument. What hurts the most the same thing occurs in east Russia right on the border of North Korea. Think about that for a second. What is really going on inside of that casino? That is the kind of world you have without god.

You have beautiful people literally being hoars right now. Trying to live the high-life they represent.

Years
Do you believe in a God?
No.

No. My normative underpinning is that free-thinking only extends as far as individuals are able to understand the world and its subjects in relation to the self. In order to construct ones own identity truth needs to derive from an understanding as to how others interact and perceive each other, as well as how we interact with and perceive others.

Religions that make sweeping generalizations regarding gender, sex, ethnic, sexual orientation, and other identity dimensions foreclose the inter-subjective project as to how individuals can actually discover themselves through knowing others' experiences and perspectives. The human mind and identity should not be bounded by religious limitation that push an "objective truth" without any justification or ethical foundation.

If there is evidence it has not been presented to the public. Isn't the whole point of "faith" to "believe" in something without "knowing"? So basically ignorance, right? Seriously, everyone claiming there is evidence, you have the burden of proof to provide it since I cannot prove the non-existence of a thing -- just like I cannot prove a flying spaghetti monster does not exist.

Two posters have suggested that the existence of the Bible is proof enough. What about the other religious and spiritual texts that make disparate claims of divine existence? Are all of them true? Is only one true? How do you know which one is true? You do not. If you can, please provide evidence, otherwise it is simply as unknown as the existence of calorie free cancer-curing lasagna.

Is religion good?
No. Again, false consciousness is not a "good" thing since it limits our abilities to define ourselves and seek intersubjective truth and toleration through the constructions of our own diverse identities. Religion forecloses on the project of diverse identity and diversity of sujective truth, and thus, we lose our ability to know our self and therefore our ability to be construct our own beliefs, identity, and perspective in relation to the world -- consciousness.

Well I am sorry but God is law. Without god all we are left with it is a bunch of pansies, liars, thieves, and too much security. You like living in a virtual "1984" world that is what it is coming to. When they disarm the world and ban god that is when the real war is going to begin. What the evil people want is to brainwash you so you could be cattle, living human live-STOCK no different then stock on wall street. They want to make hoars of our daughters and proud criminals of our sons.

Right now in my area they want to build a casino bigger then a national monument. What hurts the most the same thing occurs in east Russia right on the border of North Korea. Think about that for a second. What is really going on inside of that casino? That is the kind of world you have without god.

You have beautiful people literally being hoars right now. Trying to live the high-life they represent.

Where did you come up with your theory of gender? Prove there is a true and objective gender binary or stop proclaiming there is one in your posts.

What is a bunch of "pansies"? This again seems like you are using the play book as to how a "real man" should act without providing any form of evidence to support your absolutist claim.

Your analysis in ALL of your posts employ some from of gendered stereotypes from a heteronormative lens. These absolutist claims are not your own or natural, but devised by someone other than you. Since you cannot prove God constructed such truths what we are left with is something very much akin to 1984 in which truth is constructed for you and such truths are only supported in your blind ignorance to a divine agent that cannot be proven to even exist.

Therefore, blind belief in ideology that exists under religious influence is a form of mind-control over the way we perceive the world. It makes us blind to our own identity because we are blind to the pluralistic perspectives of others founded in real and tangible experiences.

So instead of replying to my posts with absolutist claims of identity based on religious doctrine you first need to prove God exists in order to support the validity of your claims. If you cannot do this, I would suggest that you refrain from simply discarding any perspective on identity that deviates from the Christian canon.

In declaring there is no absolute or divine truth that has yet to be established whatsoever I am not infringing upon free-thinking but rather getting rid of limitations that unfounded absolutist ideologies have placed upon the human experience without any form of evidence.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dracowyn

Hell's Traffic Accident
Years
Do you believe in a god
No I don't. To me, any god from any religion falls in the same category as Santa and the Easter Bunny and it's something I can't understand any sane adult can believe in.

No, religion has caused a lot of warfare and misery during history. Romans buring Christians alive cause they had another belief, crusades, witch hunts, the Holocaust, the current stuff going on in the Middle East etc.

Most people doing this stuff were probably already insane to begin with and used their religion as an excuse for their psychopathic urges. But in some cases like the Holocaust and the witch hunts entire communities and populations joined in.

Of course not. If there was any clear evidence that a god existed, the entire "is god real" debate would be over. The fact that every religion that ever existed during history claims theirs is the true and correct one and all the others are wrong doesn't help this either. All we have are ancient religious texts from times people still though the Earth was flat, believed in magic and didn't even know how thunderstorms or volcanoes work.

Those texts are so far fetched and unrealistic it'd be the same like believing Sauron is real because the Silmarillion and the Lord of the Rings say he's an evil overlord.

Is religion good?
Every religion is an idea or a way of life of the individual. No religion is good or bad on its own, it depends what people do with it. Several religions came to be during really bad times, like Christianity during the Roman occupation of Israel. For some people it's something they can turn to during bad periods of their life while others use it as an excuse to do criminal acts.

Most of the ancient texts though, especially of the Abrahamic religions are quite barbaric though, including the Bible. They talk of stoning people, punishing people with whip lashes, etc...

To society? No. To individuals? Yes if you are really desperate and have no one/nothing to turn to. People have used religion for bad stuff way too much. Heck in the Dark Ages they killed scientists cause the Church was afraid they were gonna discover things that'd prove their Bible wasn't correct like the Earth actually orbiting the sun.

Has religion ever had anything of value to offer to society?
Maybe in the past, when people didn't know a lot of things/didn't have the technology to discover them. But nowadays, most of those mysteries have been solved by science save for the most complicated ones. In the past people used religion to explain things they didn't understand. How people nowadays can be religious while they haven't been brainwashed like drones as kids is beyond me.

Years
Do you believe in a God?
Sort of. I believe in a God in as much as I do believe in a higher power greater than ourselves. Whether this God has any relation to any of the religions on Earth (or anywhere else there may be religions) is a dubious prospect but then again so is God's existence.

Oh if that sounded contradictory that's because I'm one of those weird Agnostic Theist people who believes in a higher power but also knows that belief does not equal truth. I fully recognise that I might be wrong.

No. People don't have any obligation to believe anything other than what makes sense to them.

There's a lot of things in this world nobody can explain. I don't think that this is inherently proof of a God but it certainly makes me more open to the possibility. As for solid proof, if there was solid proof there wouldn't be a religious debate.

Is religion good?
Religion is neither good nor evil but it has the potential to be either. It's up to human beings to decide which.

Religion can be a beautiful thing. It has the ability to give people purpose and solace, a sense of worth and it can bring millions of people together under a banner transcending even nations. It's a truly sad thing that people turn such a beautiful thing to nefarious purposes.

Excluding the artistic and cultural wonders produced by religion, all the positive things I mentioned in my answer to the last question.

Years
However it unites us as one. How do I be good? Go to night clubs and pick up desperate women.

But there are constant fights between religions. Look at the Middle East, Northern Ireland (less so now than in the past), the Crusades, the Salem Witch Trials. The list is very long. Those are not united peoples.

Being good is not taking away someone's human or civil rights but instead defending them, being good is helping to keep people physically and mentally healthy, being good is providing emotional and material support so that people do not have to suffer unnecessary hardship.

Going to clubs is really not good or bad as long as you don't try to take advantage of someone, force them to do anything, or try to hurt them. Don't do those kinds of things and you're pretty much okay.

In religion it does not matter how much good a person does. As long as they keep to there faith in god. When you charities and people taking responsibilities for them, it does not mean anything to god at all. That person could be a doer of evil as well.
What if a "doer of evil" "keeps the faith"? You said it didn't matter how much good one does so it shouldn't matter how much evil one does. That argument aside, there are lots of religions which as part of their doctrines do require that a person do good in order to be a "good" person in the eyes of the religion.

So, like, it would be living in Japan? People there are not religious and don't have weapons. Yet I didn't see "a bunch of pansies, liars, thieves" the last time I was there. Neither did I see any war or brainwashing. I did see a lot of helpful, kind, good people. Funny that.

Religion and casinos (or whatever it is you seem to be suggesting casinos are emblematic of) are not mutually can exist together or apart, in tandem or at odds with each other. Bad things can happen to people regardless of the presence of religion in their community or themselves.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Jun 20, 2016
1. Nobody cared about religion since 2001. Before it was mindless hate. I was in hospital in 1997 or 1998. With this other kid. He was into martial arts and his parents was divorced. The woman was a typical spinster church woman in black with a stupid hat. The father was childish but a beautiful man. The kid opposite of me told me something funny.

Muslims worship power rangers. Like me the kid did not like Power Rangers at the time. He said his father told him that. Why? because it was obvious the father wanted his kid to not become a muslim no matter what.

2. Japanese have religion as well. your point is defeated. Also yes they do lie and cheat often. Same reason why corrupted construction people allow for structures to easily be damaged. Think about that for a second. Ever seen an appraise of a giant gold cat? That is not gold but wood with gold painted over.

3. Casino's are the opposites of religion. You think it is all family friendly that is a lie. They are the same for the most part but more professional about how they do things. Again those people in casino's are desperate as I encounter them day to day. It is not a good thing when a bunch of foreigners and people outside of your state is living there and have no reason to integrate at all.

EC

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2022
I'll just answer the questions posted...

Do you believe in a God?
No. Stopped believing in god my freshman year of high school.

People can believe in whatever they like. I won't hold it against them.

No. I certainly haven't seen any.

Is religion good?
No. All the time you hear people killing others because of religion. We had 9/11 because of religion. Religion is just another set of rules that the heavily religious try to force on others. And then you have religious people telling gay people that they shouldn't marry because of something their god said. Just sad.

No.

No.

Years
2. Japanese have religion as well. your point is defeated. Also yes they do lie and cheat often. Same reason why corrupted construction people allow for structures to easily be damaged. Think about that for a second. Ever seen an appraise of a giant gold cat? That is not gold but wood with gold painted over.

People there are mostly non religious. No one goes to temples, churches, etc. with any frequency and most don't go at all. Temples there are like wishing wells. You go, throw a coin it, wish for something good to happen, then get on with your life. You'll do that at new years, maybe, or if you're stressed about your finals. Something like that. It's mostly superstition (and, like, proper superstition and not the dismissive "all religion is superstition" kind of way). Outside of a minority of people who take religion seriously that's how most of the country is. And yet people there don't cheat and lie any more frequently than people in heavily religious countries like America and so on. (I can speak from experience, having lived in that country.) It's a modern, peaceful, successful country.

Basically, there is no correlation between religiosity and "good" behavior, either on an individual level or a national level. Or, at the very least, there are strong enough exceptions to disprove any blanket statement about religion being necessary for a moral society.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Jun 20, 2016
Just to keep things short.

1. Chinese eye syndrome from Troops since the western made Korean wars.

2. Going to college and learning about how the Romans feared the Jews and Christ Followers and created Catholicism.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
Years
Personally, I'm an agnostic leaning towards atheist.

In my opinion the existence of an entity such as God cannot be proven or disproved; it's a concept, you can either have faith or not, depending on whether it makes you feel better or not. Personally, I don't think believing in such an entity makes me feel better, so I choose not to.

However, what I am 100% sure of is that Christianity is false; there are ridiculously many arguments that support this and I'm just going to mention a few of them. Some of them were taken from here.

1) The Christian world vs the real world

Spoiler:

2) Hell

Spoiler:

3) Hitler/Murdered Jews and Ted Bundy/Bill Gates

Spoiler:

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
Years
I'm going to just say my own little thing about religion. Hopefully it should answer your questions.

Religion is an excuse for war. That's it. It doesn't matter if you choose the Crusades, the Holocaust, or the more recent War on Islamic Terror (I could go on a whole other speel about this) there are plenty examples of just this, many more than I have stated. If religious people want peace they need to give up religion.

The only other thing it's good for is control of the masses. "God told you to blah blah blah" and the majority of people will actually do it. Be it being told to go to war, drop everything you're doing for a holiday, or live your life a different way, people will do it. We can't truly be free until we give up religion.

Caaethil

#1 Greninja Fan
Years
Alright time for something controversial, let's get the ball rolling.

Do you believe in a God?
No. There is no evidence, and as far as science is concerned, nothing exists until there is evidence of it.

I see very little benefit of believing in something false outside of very niche circumstances. Knowing the truth is more important to me than feeling warm and fuzzy inside - I wouldn't want to live in a world where everything I know is a lie.

Absolutely, factually not. I just put it in there because some people think the Bible is evidence and I wanted to see if any of those people were around. This isn't even my opinion. The Bible is a book. Even if it is completely legitimate, it is not evidence on its own. Anybody could have written it, we can't know for sure, so it's not evidence.

Is religion good?
No, it brainwashes the masses into believing something just because their parents believe it, their grandparents believe it, their great grandparents believed it and so on until you reach a bunch of camel herders in a year when nobody was really keeping much track of what was happening in the first place.

History. And don't say morals or I'm going to personally take offense. I have morals and I don't need religion. If you need religion to be moral, you are not moral at all. One of the things that saddens me most about religion is that so many people are only kind to others because they are scared they might get sent to Hell for not doing it.

To be honest the further you go back the worse it gets. It's getting better because less and less people are convinced by it, in my opinion. I see no reason to believe religion came about in any way other than somebody making it up to control other people. Just think of all the power the Church used to have. That's why religion exists.

There's a lot of things in this world nobody can explain. I don't think that this is inherently proof of a God but it certainly makes me more open to the possibility. As for solid proof, if there was solid proof there wouldn't be a religious debate.

Just something I found interesting.

New things are discovered all the time. I don't see why the existence of something we don't know yet makes God more likely. We've done a real good job of finding naturalistic explanations for things we thought would never be explained so far, I don't see why people suddenly expect us to stop. There is no reason to believe that anything exists that can only be explained with God.

(Ex. The Bible, I'll admit there are parts to it that are over exaggerated but, it's not like one day some people decided to write a ton of "BS", there has to be some truth behind it.

Why? No, nobody just sat and wrote a pile of made up nonsense for no reason. That doesn't mean some of it has to be true, that just means they had to have a reason. And logically, it seems far more likely that somebody made up a bunch of nonsense for power than it does that some kind of God created the universe, set a lot of laws for us (many of which have nothing to do with your morality, so it's a bit hard to see the point), and then proceeded to not even show up once to end the debate once and for all. And all of that so we could spend our entire lives (and the entirety of the afterlife) thanking him for it. I don't get it, why would a benevolent God care so much about the whole world worshiping him? If I were God, I'd have far better, more exciting things to be doing than judging people based on how many times they went to Church to talk about how great I am.

And to end this on a high note now that a whole thread of creationists may or may not hate me:

Don't wear clothes made of more than one fabric (Leviticus 19:19)

Don't cut your hair nor shave. (Leviticus 19:27)

Anyone who dreams or prophesizes anything that is against God, or anyone who tries to turn you from God, is to be put to death. (Deuteronomy 13:5)

If you find out a city worships a different god, destroy the city and kill all of it's inhabitants... even the animals.

Kill anyone with a different religion. (Deuteronomy 17:2-7)

Last edited:
Years
Why? No, nobody just sat and wrote a pile of made up nonsense for no reason. That doesn't mean some of it has to be true, that just means they had to have a reason. And logically, it seems far more likely that somebody made up a bunch of nonsense for power than it does that some kind of God created the universe, set a lot of laws for us (many of which have nothing to do with your morality, so it's a bit hard to see the point), and then proceeded to not even show up once to end the debate once and for all. And all of that so we could spend our entire lives (and the entirety of the afterlife) thanking him for it. I don't get it, why would a benevolent God care so much about the whole world worshiping him? If I were God, I'd have far better, more exciting things to be doing than judging people based on how many times they went to Church to talk about how great I am.

I fully believe that there are deep scientific questions that we will simply never be able to answer, regardless of how compelled we are to try. I think that a higher power is as good an answer to those questions as any. Simple as that.

Back