• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
  • The Birds may or may not have multiples, but the Beasts and Mewtwo, for example, do not. The Beasts presence in FrLg and Mewtwo in HGSS aren't canon, because they were already caught. They're simply features included to allow you to catch them and shouldn't be treated as outright canon.
    They could do these so-called 'features' any other way they wanted though, so I think it's silly to dismiss it as not-canon. They (Game Freak) never even needed to put them in, yet the did. Found in the games which are official, so hence they are canon. How many times must it be stated that things in the official games are canon? Just because they were 'caught' before doesn't mean there couldn't be more than one (also, Johto legendary beasts also in Colosseum), nor that they could have been released. That's the real point, so stop trying to come up with 'oh how can it be in the cave again in hg/ss?' However it happened, it happened in an official game, and there's no changing that.
    You only get stronger through fighting, so a Pokemon refusing to fight because they're too weak yet still somehow want to get stronger is a contradiction.
    I didn't say they're refusing to fight necessarily - they may fight but be too weak to actually get stronger (like, say, a trainer going through the games with level 20 pokes and catching a Hoppip which knows... Splash). If they can't work with their trainer successfully then they may be dumped because of their weakness. I'd go on at length at the many ways this would work, but I don't see much point, especially if you keep on sticking to one version of your own.
    And why do they want to get stronger? For mates, territory, food, etc. There's no Pokemon that wants to get stronger for the sake of getting stronger. That's all I'm saying.
    And your point being? You also conveniently skipped over the other points raised thanks to footprint guy.
    That's exactly my point. I don't believe Lucario is a legendary, yet the movies states he is... The opening montage showed every single legendary Pokemon in the entire series... and Lucario. No other Pokemon was shown but the legendaries and Lucario. My point is that "legendary" is a fluid term that can be applied in any way and shouldn't be restricted to uber-tier, "get a movie" Pokemon.
    Yet the movie does not state he is a legendary Pokemon at all. It shows Lucario next to them, but that does not make him one. (As other parts of the anime which is directly linked to the movies show). And the thing is, the 'uber-tier' Pokemon are what everyone else is talking about.
    I never said Growlithe are bred. If you read my post again, I said dogs are bred.
    Then what does it have to do with Growlithe supposedly wired to be loyal and not needing brainwashing? As you said, why bring it it? You brought it up, indicating you thought it did, and if you didn't, then all you've done is gone in a circle, with the point raised by others and myself still staying.
    I've never talked about Colosseum before now. All I've said are things I've read about the game, or I've seen my brother do when he plays the game.
    I have though, and it runs by the same canon as XD does, which you have definately talked about. Don't go about sidestepping the issue that you made stuff up and claimed the opposite of what the games really said.
    I never said new canon wasn't true. I just said it was new. FrLg and HGSS are new, or expanded, canon of the previous games. They're mor relevant than the previous games. Again, I never said I don't believe them or that they're different.
    If you cannot see how your posts indicated that you treated them differently, or saying stuff like 'Yellow isn't canon', then there's no helping you, I'm afraid. Accept your mistakes and move on instead of trying to save face.
    Because you started arguing with me about a throwaway post about how I feel about Pokemon intelligence.
    Wrong. In fact I wasn't talking about their intelligence at all. You said the following:
    The games and manga state Pokemon don't fight in the wild. Humans makes them.
    Which is clearly wrong going by the games' canon.
    I haven't changed my viewpoint. From the very beginning I've said Pokemon don't fight for no reason in the wild.
    Then why did you say before, like quoted directly above, that they don't fight in the wild, and only humans make them? Right there is you changing your viewpoint, and then pretending it never happened. Kinda pointless lying like that. And the fact still remains that for one way, you're wrong, and the other point really doesn't prove anything in this debate - not many people or creatures actually do anything for no reason, so your point it...?
    What are you talking about? I responded to your post.

Badges aren't necessary to influence Pokemon you caught yourself because you've already undergone the process of taming them. It would be rather redundant to smack a wolf and train it to be domesticated if you'd already raised it since a pup, and has already had the benefit of generations of breeding.
    Again talking about breeding animals when game canon indicates that this has not happened with Pokemon... although above you claimed you didn't say it applied to Pokemon, why do you then to to apply it to Pokemon when it doesn't work? (And I did not see any reply to any points in his previous post, myself until you edited it in. =/ The less said about the points raised there, the better...)
    Yes, exactly what I said. New canon is, once again, canon that has been expanded or retconned so takes precedence over older canon.
    Ypu sure imply it, and again, you did say stuff like 'Yellow isn't canon'.
    I never said that. I've said many times that Pokemon aren't always influenced by badges or Pokeballs, but sometimes by friendship or being raised.
    But the games do not support the former, which is the argument. Where is the evidence for that that we have asked for in relation to this? Time and time again you have not shown us - just said 'the manga says it!' and then passing it off as game canon which it isn't.
    The manga states that badges influence Pokemon, traded or not, to obey, as well as fuse Pokemon and summon a giant legendary. In-game, they also boost(ed) stats and allow you to use HMs.
    Can we see this then? And can you finally accept it is not game canon (as it differs so very much from the games, as you can see)? And again, ironically your points about what they do in the games are more features than anything else you have claimed... well, look at parts of Dragonfree's post on this, I can't be bothered repeating that.
    I never said Slowpoke was on the same level of Lugia. I made it my entire point that there are different levels and kinds of legendary, of which one kind Slowpoke is.
    Newsflash - we weren't talking about those 'versions' of legendary Pokemon. So stop repeating that - there's no point as it has naught to do with this debate like so many other things, and you were rebutting something we never said, as we were talking about a different meaning of 'legendary' altogether.

The rest is generally just on a completely different topic and I don't feel like going on those points as well. But yet again, you are no closer to proving your previous statements you DID say, and have instead going on unrelated tangents and tried to cover yourself up for your mistakes without admitting them. Great. -_-

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    They could do these so-called 'features' any other way they wanted though, so I think it's silly to dismiss it as not-canon. They (Game Freak) never even needed to put them in, yet the did. Found in the games which are official, so hence they are canon. How many times must it be stated that things in the official games are canon? Just because they were 'caught' before doesn't mean there couldn't be more than one (also, Johto legendary beasts also in Colosseum), nor that they could have been released. That's the real point, so stop trying to come up with 'oh how can it be in the cave again in hg/ss?' However it happened, it happened in an official game, and there's no changing that.
    It happened because putting legendaries previously unable to be caught into a game raises sales. You'll note that the events to capture them happen after the main game, suggesting they are outside the normal continuity. No one suggests that Sgt. Johnson making out with an Elite at the end of Halo is canon... It happened at the end of the game, as a bonus. That's all I'm saying. Bonuses are rarely, if ever, considered canon.

I didn't say they're refusing to fight necessarily - they may fight but be too weak to actually get stronger (like, say, a trainer going through the games with level 20 pokes and catching a Hoppip which knows... Splash). If they can't work with their trainer successfully then they may be dumped because of their weakness. I'd go on at length at the many ways this would work, but I don't see much point, especially if you keep on sticking to one version of your own.
    But I am saying that a Pokemon refuses to fight... They can and will, and that's the point. Why would they refuse? Because maybe they don't want to battle.

And your point being? You also conveniently skipped over the other points raised thanks to footprint guy.
    What points? If I "conveniently" skipped over something, it's because I really had nothing to say. The footprint guy is a moot point that I've already expressed my thoughts on.

Yet the movie does not state he is a legendary Pokemon at all. It shows Lucario next to them, but that does not make him one. (As other parts of the anime which is directly linked to the movies show). And the thing is, the 'uber-tier' Pokemon are what everyone else is talking about.
    It doesn't need to be outright stated for the assumption to be made. If every single legendary is shown, plus one guy, then it's the most logical thing in the world to assume he's considered a legendary.

I have though, and it runs by the same canon as XD does, which you have definately talked about. Don't go about sidestepping the issue that you made stuff up and claimed the opposite of what the games really said.
    I didn't make anything up. I'm simply saying the opinion of myself and my brother whom has played the game, as well as common perception among the Pokemon fandom. I've seen this issue brought up.

If you cannot see how your posts indicated that you treated them differently, or saying stuff like 'Yellow isn't canon', then there's no helping you, I'm afraid. Accept your mistakes and move on instead of trying to save face.
    Yellow isn't canon. Blue doesn't have an Eevee-evolution in GSC, nor does Red have three starters. (He may in HGSS, but whether or not that retroactively makes Yellow canon remains to be seen) Yellow not being canon is the most common thing I've ever heard.

Then why did you say before, like quoted directly above, that they don't fight in the wild, and only humans make them? Right there is you changing your viewpoint, and then pretending it never happened. Kinda pointless lying like that. And the fact still remains that for one way, you're wrong, and the other point really doesn't prove anything in this debate - not many people or creatures actually do anything for no reason, so your point it...?
    You're being much too narrow-minded in your reading simply to argue things that aren't there... I already made it clear that I believe canon states Pokemon don't fight in the wild outside of normal animal reason for fighting. Why then would I have to say the same exact thing everytime? When I say "Pokemon don't fight in the wild", you should take what I've already said and know from context I'm simply saving space by not going into the whole thing again.

Again talking about breeding animals when game canon indicates that this has not happened with Pokemon... although above you claimed you didn't say it applied to Pokemon, why do you then to to apply it to Pokemon when it doesn't work? (And I did not see any reply to any points in his previous post, myself until you edited it in. =/ The less said about the points raised there, the better...)
    Again, I haven't and never did claim Pokemon were bred for brainwashing. Read the sentence. I was talking about wolves. It's called a metaphor.

You may not have noticed, but the site server has been on and off today and loading very poorly... I responded to you first, then edited in my responses to Shrike's post afterward. I did this before he complained I ignored him, which I find strange.

Ypu sure imply it, and again, you did say stuff like 'Yellow isn't canon'.
    Many people believe that Yellow isn't canon. It's a common aspect of the Pokemon fandom.

But the games do not support the former, which is the argument. Where is the evidence for that that we have asked for in relation to this? Time and time again you have not shown us - just said 'the manga says it!' and then passing it off as game canon which it isn't.
    I never said that manga canon was game canon... I said it was game canon expressed and clarified. It's pretty close, but certainly not exact. Things like characters are done out of creative licence, but the way the world works in terms of badges and Pokeballs and such are ground rules for any universe that must be taken on some level as the same with the games.

Can we see this then? And can you finally accept it is not game canon (as it differs so very much from the games, as you can see)? And again, ironically your points about what they do in the games are more features than anything else you have claimed... well, look at parts of Dragonfree's post on this, I can't be bothered repeating that.
    50262769.jpg

86676490.jpg

They're not features because they're referenced in-game in various locations. The footprint guy is not. He's in his own world outside of the rest of the game's workings.

The rest is generally just on a completely different topic and I don't feel like going on those points as well. But yet again, you are no closer to proving your previous statements you DID say, and have instead going on unrelated tangents and tried to cover yourself up for your mistakes without admitting them. Great. -_-
    You act like there's some conspiracy of me constantly changing my mind and using weasel words. I'm not. It's plain to anyone reading this that I say what I mean and I explain it... I've explained these same points many times already, yet you keep saying I didn't mean what I said. Next time actually read what I say instead of inferring something completely different.

You know what? I'm with Jax on this one. Live and let live. (Read: Ignore Redstar)
    I don't see why anyone would ignore me considering I've raised valid points, explained my rationale for believing them at every turn, and held steady even while being attacked by bobandbill and Shrike simply due to their inability to read. Plus you can certainly be a hypocrite like Valentine and "ignore" me publicaly, in which case I'll still respond.

Last edited:

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • I'm happy with being a hypocrite, yes. Your problem is that you just keep countering different points with the same arguments, many of which are shaky at best.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    I'm happy with being a hypocrite, yes. Your problem is that you just keep countering different points with the same arguments, many of which are shaky at best.
    My arguments are sound, it's just bob and Shrike's rebuttals. They keep totally misinterpreting what I'm saying and attacking them.

Misheard Whisper

Years
  • Well, if they keep misinterpreting them, perhaps you could explain a bit more clearly, rather than just changing the wording every time.

It seems that nobody ever taught you how to argue.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    Well, if they keep misinterpreting them, perhaps you could explain a bit more clearly, rather than just changing the wording every time.

It seems that nobody ever taught you how to argue.
    I've explained and clarified at every turn, sometimes even blatantly saying that their interpretation of my last post was wrong, yet they continue to believe it. Therefore I'm not the one at wrong, but their minds or attitudes.

Misheard Whisper

Years
  • Ok, you know what? I'm just going to ignore the entire flamewar thing now. That's bobandbill, Shrike and Redstar. Sorry guys, but I'm not reading through any more 20+ quote posts.

Anyway . . . Fuzz- Buoysel, what did you find in that Digimon episode? I went back a couple pages but couldn't find anything about it.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
  • Ok, you know what? I'm just going to ignore the entire flamewar thing now. That's bobandbill, Shrike and Redstar. Sorry guys, but I'm not reading through any more 20+ quote posts.

Anyway . . . Fuzz- Buoysel, what did you find in that Digimon episode? I went back a couple pages but couldn't find anything about it.

Under normal circumstances I would say go look for it, but seeing as you would have to shift through 3 or 4 pages now of flame; I was wondering why obey humans?

In the episode, a Digimon and tamer's bond grows closer, and unlike Pokemon, Digimon can talk. (you piece it together.)

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Well, I'm not bothering anymore either. =D

For if you're going to keep on stating Yellow isn't canon (what people believe it isn't canon? I have never met any, clearly everyone else here thinks otherwise, and if they exist I don't... really want to meet them and go through this again only for them to continue ignoring valid points - it's a canon, maybe differing slightly to R/B but it is a perfectly legit canon in it's own, and part of the official games to boot), continuing to use breeding metaphors that don't apply to the Pokemon world and yet repeating them anyway like a broken record (if they don't apply, why use them?), go on tangents that had nothing to do with the original points long ago, claim a character is still not canon because he's in his 'own world' (that incidently is part of the official games - 3 of them, in fact, and yet somehow still treat the manga as if it were exactly how it is in the games or it being a more valid canon then... stuff in the games itself. when they clearly contradict each other), throws theories when all we want to discuss is what is actually in the game canon and the game canon alone, and then saying our minds are wrong because you have failed to rebut examples pulled straight from the games, there's no point continuing. Go on thinking what you think stubbornly while ignoring points you still haven't rebutted without going off-topic and into other unrelated debates, and I'll go on knowing what I know.

We can't be blamed for reading and rebutting what you say. Heck, look at previous quotes of what you said, like in my previous post. If you truly didn't mean that, then you should have made yourself clear during the debate which you haven't yet done. Cheers for blaming that on providing points against what you said exactly, time and time again. =) Notice everytime I quote you, no? If I was twisting your words, show it. Or rather don't bother because i'm certainly not going to. You can lead a camel to water but you can't make it drink, as they say.

At least you have finally shown us how the manga supposedly does gym badges - it took you long enough. Fact remains however that the manga =/= games, and the such applying to the games is complete speculation, not supported by game canon. You finally said it isn't - so it really doesn't count. It's an extension - made by completely different people. Like the anime! But you'll ignore this, no doubt.

Good lukc to others who want to continue repeating the same things over and over. =) There's a lot of flaws in that last post, but I've gotta eat and then do some more study rather than continue with this waste of time. As SD said, live and let live. Pretty sure a lot of points raised earlier still haven't been disproven to be shown in the games canon (like how Pokemon do fight in the wild as you stated they didn't, and how they have reasons to travle and battle with Trainers), despite claims certain characters - which you have never even encountered yourself! What basis then are you discounting him on? - don't count.

So cheers for what I can describe as a waste of time. In short, you've got a long way to learning how to bring your points together and actually provide a valid argument without ignoring valid evidence or managing to properly rebutt them without simply dismissing them as not-canon. (If I were to continue I'd throw plenty of non-Yellow instances, include, as previous done and left alone by you, HG/SS instances, but again - there's no point).

*bows down to Astinus for bringing long-winded posts to the FFL to no real avail and offers Exploding CharizardMagikarp for a sacrifice to all*

Luphinid Silnaek

MAGNEMITE.
    Years
  • Um... anyway.

What's your character's kryptonite? As in, if your characters have special abilities, how do you balance them out to keep them from tipping towards the special snowflake direction?
    Not to, gasp, agree with Redstar or anything, but did you perhaps mix the technical system of superhero strengths and weaknesses with the more complex idea of character traits? To balance out a Superman, you have a kryptonite, but to balance out a character as a person, you need something more complex.

As it happens my MC from Aftershock does have powers, of a sort, only the powers themselves are inherently cursed. He gets them from 'assimilation heightening', which is an advanced institution of steroids and drugs rolled into one substance (incidentally isolated from raw pokémon meat, occasionally a direct essence of their blood). As such he is far more powerful than he would otherwise have been, lives for something around 200 years, and can travel instantaneously through darkness--if you gave him a pitch-black alley, he could walk into one end and emerge out the other in no time flat. The thing is these are drugs, and they actually work by

Spoiler:

which destabilizes his already damaged psyche quite severely, leaves him prone to complete possession by the entity, and does something I'll choose not to speak of yet.

I have another amusing topic to throw out there:

How do you deal with the more mechanized parts of pokémon battling as in the games? Stats, levels, elemental strengths, etc.?
    Because, of course, not all of it quite makes sense, and certain things (like assigning a numerical value to your pokémon's strengths) seem to be impossible or otherwise really difficult. Do you explain all of these, or remove them, or change their principles?

My answer when I maybe feel like it.

Misheard Whisper

Years
  • How do you deal with the more mechanized parts of pokémon battling as in the games? Stats, levels, elemental strengths, etc.?
    In my fanfiction, levels do not exist. Pokemon just get gradually stronger as they gain experience ie they react better, their attacks are stronger etc.

Stats? A Pokemon like Absol, with lots of attack, will do heavy damage to its opponent. A Pokemon like Steelix, with lots of defence, will be less affected by physical attacks. As for types, Shinx will get owned by an Earthquake, while just being damaged by a Flamethrower. Basically the same as in the games.

Dagzar

The Dreamer
    Years
  • How do you deal with the more mechanized parts of pokémon battling as in the games? Stats, levels, elemental strengths, etc.?
    For levels, I just use a watered down version, having a Pokemon at, say, level 30 be called Level 4, level 40 is level 5, and so on to level 10 (100). Elemental strengths aren't different from the game; fire is good against grass, exc. Stats I don't bother dealing with.

Last edited:

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
    Years
  • Frankly, I think you're all being kind of thickheaded about this. I have absolutely no idea why any of you felt that the precise definition of a legendary Pokémon, or whether Growlithe are bred, or whether Redstar said they don't fight in the wild at all or just not for "no reason", or what counts as magic, or the exact definitions of sentience and sapience, are in any way relevant here. Half of this has been just a headache of splitting hairs and arguing over the semantics of completely irrelevant asides. I'm surprised you didn't start fiercely debating Star Trek after Klingons were brought up.

I don't know why Redstar didn't reply to my previous post, as its points still stand. I would also like to note that Red does have all three starters in G/S/C, since I saw that point raised.

You keep repeating that the manga is game canon. But being based on the "notes" for the games does hardly mean every plot point, every idea expressed, every line of dialogue, comes straight from those notes. Do you have any reason whatsoever to think that these notes specifically said "Badges exert a magical force that gives the trainer control over Pokémon"? It is undeniable that the manga authors made one hell of a lot of stuff up that's not actually in the games; it is impossible to claim about any element of the manga that this is definitively what was intended in the games. The manga is proof of nothing unless you are actually using manga canon (which you are perfectly entitled to do, of course).

Also, concerning the point that there is no way animals would fight simply to become stronger, this is actually quite easily explained (also touched upon in my previous post): unlike animals, Pokémon's fighting strength is very heavily dependent on their previous battle experience. If Pokémon fight - in any sense - predators, prey, or competitors of the same species for survival or mates, then they are better off if they have a lot of prior battle experience, and natural selection will automatically see to that Pokémon with a strong inclination to fight and seek power will prevail and become more numerous in the population. It is inevitable that creatures like Pokémon would evolve to be fiercely competitive and seek power for its own sake, simply because that is evolutionarily beneficial to them.

Finally, I must point out that Pokémon game canon is a confusing, messy headache. Consider the fact we have three different equally valid scenarios of the same basic events in the same characters' lives in each generation. No, really consider it. Did Cyrus want to create a new world using Dialga, Palkia, or both while getting stopped by Giratina and sucked into the Distortion World? There is no actual canonical scenario here; these are all equally valid versions of the same story. And then there are the remakes on top of all that. Add in the fact that it's a video game - the player can choose what happens. You say Mewtwo can't be in Cerulean Cave in HG/SS because he was caught three years ago, but who says he was caught? You can play through the game just fine without ever catching Mewtwo, and there is absolutely nothing making it canon that Red ever did catch Mewtwo - the Berserk Gene in G/S/C could just as well be DNA traces left behind by Mewtwo after he left the cave on his own accord. One of the legendary beasts could have eluded Gold and escaped to Kanto. Or was it Kris who released the legendary beasts? It is impossible to sensibly argue any of the possible scenarios offered by the games to be the definitive canon. Pokémon has never been about the details of what happens in the games' plots, anyway.

Shrike Flamestar

The Invisible!
    Years
  • I'm getting bored of this and want to do some other stuff with the rest of the night and weekend so this'll probably be my last post on this as well. I'll try to make it short. I'll probably fail.

Redstar said:
    What are you talking about? I responded to your post.
    Not until I was already writing my post, and not until after quite a few other posts had been made as well. Why didn't you just make a second post that I wouldn't have missed? You usually only need to edit your post if no one else has posted yet to avoid double posting... When you edit an old post, you should sort of expect people to miss it.

Redstar said:
    Sentient means "self-aware". Sapient means "wise". A sentient being can be sapient (the many learned humans), but a sapient being must always be sentient... You can't be one or the other.
    Did you even read most of the post that I brought those up in...? I'm not saying they're sapient and not sentient, I'm saying that to be on the level of a human you have to be all three, and normal animals are not all three. What you should be saying instead of all this other stuff is that they don't have all three. That's what this whole argument was about until it became more focused on what canon is.

Redstar said:
    I never said that nothing after second gen wasn't canon... Third gen is my favorite generation.
    Redstar said:
    Well I'm just going on RBY and GSC, but Pokemon are pretty much treated like animals in those gens. My friends that have played the later games say they're still treated that way
    How is it your favorite generation if it's only your friends that have played the later games...?

Redstar said:
    Ants are very commonly compared to a computer, with each ant forming a biological component of switches... They can compute a lot of things, but surely you don't believe ants are sentient?

Chimps have near-human intelligence, and have been noted to conduct strategy for war, making tools, and art... Yet they have no concept of teaching their young, of cooperation for the benefit of the whole, and are severely patriarchal with the females raped. Their intelligence is specialized. I would argue that they're sentient, but not sapient. Possibly not even self-aware.
    And your point with all of this is...? It's the same thing I'm saying; animals, which are not on the level of a human in regards to intelligence and ability to think, don't have all three qualifiers. I am saying that Pokemon do, and so are on the level of a human. I said that in the post I brought all this up in, stop making me repeat it. Of course if I do manage to make this my last post here I won't anyway.

Redstar said:
    I have done research. I own the game.
    Redstar said:
    I've never talked about Colosseum before now. All I've said are things I've read about the game, or I've seen my brother do when he plays the game.
    Seems like your brother's the one who owns it (unless you mean XD, in which case they're sort of the same thing). Things you've read about it and seen your brother do are hardly research. Your lack of knowledge regarding what purification actually entails is proof enough of that.

Redstar said:
    It's not game canon. It's anime canon. There's different lines of continuity, which don't always intersect.
    If you can bring up manga canon so often as support, I think I should be able to use anime canon. Otherwise, you drop the manga stuff.

Redstar said:
    Actually, they are. Several episodes explain that all the humanoid beings in the Milky Way were implanted by an ancestor race that prodded evolution along with preprogrammed DNA.
    Damn, should have seen that coming. <_< Fine then, Battlestar Galactica. In both the original and new version the humans on Earth (both Earths in the new one) are all the same as the humans on the colonial colonies with no common relation.

Fiction hardly matters anyway. It's not like bipedal = humans, nor does humanoid = **** sapien. They're just traits the living beings may have.

Redstar said:
    Breeding is canon, because they're explicitly referenced by other people in the game. A gameplay feature is separated from that by either never being mentioned or being mentioned in a very vague way. Pikachu not being able to evolve in Yellow is a feature because it was never explained... The footpring guy is a feature because he occupies his own little world and his sole purpose is providing insight into things requring features: friendship.
    Tying into something else you're saying, the berserk gene is never mentioned anywhere. Therefore, by your own definition, it's not canon and so shouldn't be used in these arguments just like you don't want Yellow to be used. Characters, even memorable ones like the kid who likes shorts a little too much, also aren't canon I guess. The Sinnoh myths? Not mentioned anywhere else. Wow, guess you're right! They're not an integral part of the game so they're out of canon as well!

Redstar said:
    Stem cell is kinda, you know, visible.
    Wrong on so many levels. Stem cells are not visible, they're just as microscopic as every other cell. What does a stem cell have to do with rewriting genetic code and genes anyway? Stem cells are just cells that lack any defined function and have the ability to adapt to a specific, undefined function.

Redstar said:
    Yes, exactly what I said. New canon is, once again, canon that has been expanded or retconned so takes precedence over older canon.
    That's...not what I said though. I'm saying that your concept of separating canon through its age is ridiculous and that the normal canon separation is between the game, manga, and anime.

Redstar said:
    Pokemon aren't converted into energy... They're digitized. That's stated in canon with the whole, you know, putting them in computers thing. Converting them to energy would also violate the laws of thermodynamics.
    This isn't Digimon, you know. They're clearly converted into energy, what else do you call all that red stuff the ball shoots out and goes inside the ball and everything? And in the anime they're not stored in the computer, they're stored alternatively at a Professor's laboratory (which is where Ash keeps his Pokemon) or at a Pokemon Center (which was shown in early episodes of the anime). The actual process of sending them through a computer is really just teleportation, and who knows how that works seeing as we don't have the technology. As for storage with the game, who knows? It's never clarified as to what's going on or how it works, so you can't really use it to prove anything.

The law of thermodynamics would only be violated if energy was created or destroyed. Since mass is already energy (I point again to e=mc^2, or energy equals mass times the speed of light squared), an equal reaction would be just fine. Just because we don't have the technology doesn't mean they couldn't. If anything, "digitizing" something would be even more of a violation of thermodynamics...

Redstar said:
    Christians hold lambs sacred as representative of Christ, and shun snakes as representative of Satan.
    We don't hold lambs as sacred, we hold Jesus as sacred. -_- They're a metaphor, nothing else, and unless you're one of the crazy people who take everything in the bible literally, they don't really mean much else.

Redstar said:
    It happened because putting legendaries previously unable to be caught into a game raises sales. You'll note that the events to capture them happen after the main game, suggesting they are outside the normal continuity. No one suggests that Sgt. Johnson making out with an Elite at the end of Halo is canon... It happened at the end of the game, as a bonus. That's all I'm saying. Bonuses are rarely, if ever, considered canon.
    Then the berserk gene must also not be canon because it happens after you defeat the elite 4, which according to you seems to be the end of the game. Except with Pokemon games, there is no end. The only time when the elite 4 were the end of the game was in first gen, every generation after has included additional content after the elite 4 which extends the game and so means that the elite 4 are not the end. This includes G/S, which has the entire Kanto region (and the berserk gene) after the end of the game. The only end is when you've done everything in the game there is to do, including catching all Pokemon. Saying they end when you finish the main, initial "goal" is like saying that The Elder Scrolls Morrowind and Oblivion both end when you finish the main quest, despite there being a ton of other stuff you can still do afterwards. I'd say that non-canon "bonus" endings are actually a lot rarer than canon ones.

Redstar said:
    Bunch of manga scans...
    And this is why I try not to argue anything regarding the manga since I'm unfamiliar with it. Still though, as Bobandbill said, manga and game canon are separate and I thought we were arguing game canon here. The manga is generally radically different from the game and anime so perhaps they are like animals and stuff there, but that means little for any other aspect of Pokemon. The manga directly contradicts the anime in that regard (badges clearly don't have any special properties in the anime and Pokemon are clearly intelligent) so you can't say that anything in the manga has relevance to the games.

Redstar said:
    I don't see why anyone would ignore me considering I've raised valid points, explained my rationale for believing them at every turn, and held steady even while being attacked by bobandbill and Shrike simply due to their inability to read. Plus you can certainly be a hypocrite like Valentine and "ignore" me publicaly, in which case I'll still respond.
    Newsflash: The whole damn lounge is against you. You're just blind to your own faults so stop trying to act like you have none and that you're better than everyone else.

Redstar said:
    My arguments are sound, it's just bob and Shrike's rebuttals. They keep totally misinterpreting what I'm saying and attacking them.
    The only sound argument you've given in all this has been the manga scans you just posted. But they're not even related to the original point anyway, that being game canon. Everything else has just shown an inability to read and admit your own faults.

Okay, so that failed. Whatever. I still want this to be my last post here.

How do you deal with the more mechanized parts of pokémon battling as in the games? Stats, levels, elemental strengths, etc.?
    I don't. They don't exist in TFC, which inherits that much from the anime. Well okay elemental stuff does exist, like in the anime. I'm supposed to hate the anime why am I talking about it so much.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years

Well, Starts levels etc would just be how well trained/ old the pokemon is.

Elemental strengths, well I am just going to stick to game canon here, because the last time I ventured into that we came with up with exploding Charizards.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • Borderline, but I wouldn't say trolling. Just Jax-chan's usual snark.

Judging by this and the fact that I'm still seeing him on the recent viewers list of my profile (unless I happen to not get that many views a day), I take it someone's disappointed I like the company of women. If you know what I mean. And if you know exactly why this is relevant, you get a high five and an "awwright."

(On a slightly separate note while I've got my profile open, I just realized someone has the name Armoire of Invincibility, and I kinda want to go to this person's profile and VM them just for the awesome name.)

'Course, now I'm a bit too lazy to click on the view posts link and can't really give that much of a crap to know what brought this comment up, so I'm just going to content myself with propositioning a certain mod again.

Now, where in blazes did I put that bolded question?

What's your character's kryptonite? As in, if your characters have special abilities, how do you balance them out to keep them from tipping towards the special snowflake direction?

(First off, lulz, Buoysel, your answer is just pure win.)

Second, given the fact that the majority of my characters are actually not out of the ordinary (to the point where the protagonist of MKD has absolutely no special abilities whatsoever except luck and above average intelligent… both of which are promptly counterbalanced by the fact that she is, in fact, the blandest and doormattiest character in that particular existence to a literal degree), I guess the only one I can really talk about here is Bill and the other Ixodida.

Bill specifically possesses superhuman intelligence naturally and a variety of powers (flight, above average strength, the use of Pokémon moves) gifted to him by the infection. These are countered by:

Spoiler:

The other Ixodida have weaknesses that usually include type balances or the fact that the majority of them are delusional sociopaths. And evil minions (or red shirts, depending on your perspective) on top of that.

Also…

A wizard did it.

I hand-wave more than Doug by saying:

1. Stats don't exist as numbers. There's "that's a strong Pokémon" and "that Pokémon looks like it's weak enough to be captured" and "that Pokémon has fantastic defenses," but it's usually just shown.

2. Levels are touched on but not really. For example, it's known that Adam is more experienced than Bill and therefore knows how to use more powerful moves, but it's never really outright stated that, for example, Adam is a level 72 Ixodida, while Bill is at level 12. At most, it's more or less move mastery – as in, Pokémon can potentially use moves but don't have the experience to bend elements in just the right way or put just enough power into their moves to use Flamethrower instead of Ember. That experience comes after just learning a new technique, kinda like how a yellow belt in karate might learn a new set of moves slowly until he's mastered it enough to move on to the next belt.

3. Elemental strengths, type matchups, whichever are pretty much just going off the type chart. For example, a Dark-type move doesn't do much of anything to another Dark-type because the Dark-type's used to it but lacks the kinds of defenses that makes a Bite not do anything to it thanks to the part with the teeth. However, it does serious damage to a Psychic-type because the Dark energies in the attack leeches into the body of the Psychic to hinder its ability to concentrate, like a mental poison. And it does neutral damage to a Rock-type because of the same principle: much of the attack relies on the use of dark energy in my fics. ('Course, it might not work the same way elsewhere, and I encourage the kids at home to come up with something more logical.)

I haven't entirely worked out how types that cancel out a weakness and resistance (like almost everything does with Dark/Ghosts, for example), but that's just hand-waved like crazy again.

Yeah, I used to be an ASB ref. For those of you who play, you can tell, yes? XD

And on that note, I'm going to go find episodes of Doug. Man, I miss that show.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Frankly, I think you're all being kind of thickheaded about this. I have absolutely no idea why any of you felt that the precise definition of a legendary Pokémon, or whether Growlithe are bred, or whether Redstar said they don't fight in the wild at all or just not for "no reason", or what counts as magic, or the exact definitions of sentience and sapience, are in any way relevant here. Half of this has been just a headache of splitting hairs and arguing over the semantics of completely irrelevant asides. I'm surprised you didn't start fiercely debating Star Trek after Klingons were brought up.
    I did note how many points continued to be argued bore no relevance and questioned why they were brought up, although I did rebutt them (if only because in many instances I still found them flawed).

But getting away from that, despite how much I want to debate Star Trek here... =P

In my fic, I do not make use of levels as such (although I have a vague thing in that Pokemon would not learn moves they would normally learn at very high levels if they are weak or leastways something along those lines - basically the stronger they are the more likely they know higher-level moves). Stats... I tend to incorporate this roughly, for instance in that Umbreon has high defensive stats and hence is just so in my fic, while Pokemon like Yanma are fast. I also make use of Pokemon Abilities (such as Yanma's Speed Boost...in a way, and others like Rain Dish/Swift Swim for Ludicolo, Flame Body for Growlithe and also in for Houndour in a one-shot), and do have the whole type advantage thing remain in battles, including water beating Fire, and Dark's immunity to Psychic (but I haven't yet used any other type immunities from memory? Hmm...)

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back