• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
    How do you deal with the more mechanized parts of pokémon battling as in the games? Stats, levels, elemental strengths, etc.?
    Stats and levels are implied, but not explicit. That is to say, a Pokémon with a higher speed stat will generally be able to run quite fast, and evolution happens, but they're not like, "oh! Larvitar reached level 30! It's gonna evolve! :D" Elemental strengths are pretty much the same thing: fire attacks will be more effective on grass, ice more effective on flying, etc. etc., but, they're more explicit: in the trainer's thought process, they might think, "I have the type advantage."

D. Lawride

Audi Famam Illius, Scriptor!
    Years
    How do you deal with the more mechanized parts of pokémon battling as in the games? Stats, levels, elemental strengths, etc.?

Taking it in a more realistic approach, I don't. Strength is perfected with experience (erasing levels ad stats from the chart), even though some moves do raise the power of moves. Here, though, I don't like to refer directly to things such as Special Attack and Special Defense.

Elemental strengths are pretty much taken in account like in the games (Grass is super effective against Water, and from then on.)

A related question I'd like to add:

In the anime (where moves are seen in a somewhat "realistic" approach), some moves aren't like they're seen in the game. Do you describe moves like they're put in the anime, or like they are put in the game? Or neither?

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    In the anime (where moves are seen in a somewhat "realistic" approach), some moves aren't like they're seen in the game. Do you describe moves like they're put in the anime, or like they are put in the game? Or neither?

For many moves, I go with the anime unless the anime doesn't really make sense or otherwise contradicts itself/the games too much. For example, I take Flame Wheel (fire engulfing the user, who flings themselves in a somersault at the enemy) from the anime, but Dragon Rage is a stream of purple fire (as opposed to the cyclone of a number of Pokémon).

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
    What's your character's kryptonite? As in, if your characters have special abilities, how do you balance them out to keep them from tipping towards the special snowflake direction?

Warning! If you don't like spoilers, this segment may be hazardous to your health. Yes, I did in fact just make a word a glaring and intrusive color. So there.

Spoiler:

Levels are replaced with combat experience: I usually go "okay, they've seen enough combat to know to do this in this situation, and they're this strong." I totally ignore stats, except for general things like "Machamps have high physical attack power." Elemental strengths and weaknesses still apply.

...One day I'd like to write a one-shot in which the outcome of a pokemon battle is determined solely by me rolling a d20 for every attack.

All of your characters are inserted into a giant corn maze, and must be split into teams. There can be two or three people in a team, one team having four if necessary, but nobody can go alone. What would the teams be, and how well would they get along in the maze?

First off, what the fudge? Secondly, here's the pairs:

Latios and Latias: They'd fly out. Not a ton of time to socialize.

Ren and Kairn: Would argue about which way to go, Ren with logic and Kairn with gut instinct, split up, and ultimately find their own ways out simultaneously, much to the other's annoyance.

Mewtwo and...her ship: Do the words "High-Intensity Wave Canon" mean anything to you? I guess Mewtwo could chat with Porygon (her ship's AI system) while the canon was charging up. Maybe they'd play some video games or something, I dunno.

And now for some lesser-mentioned individuals! :D

Darkrai and Umbreon: Umbreon would sit preening while Darkrai found the way out, and then he'd come back and get her.

Miles and Dragonair: Dragonair would float up and scout a way out, and Miles would follow. If Dragonair messed up, Miles would berate him a bit. The Prince gets intense when doing stuff like this.

Gawain and Skarmory: See the answer for Latios and Latias. Skarmory can't talk, so they wouldn't exactly converse, but maybe she'd earn a bit of petting or whatnot.

Aia and Luxray: Luxray would lead them out with his penetrating vision. Again, Luxray can't talk, so yeah.

King Jethroe and Rayquaza: Fly, you fools! They'd get up in the air and let their inner kids run wild.

And with that, I take my leave until next weekend. Bye all!

Last edited:

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years

Like Jax, I go with the anime unless it's totally stupid. Like the abovementioned Dragon Rage, etc. I really have nothing original to put in this post.

EDIT: And OMG gaiz. Username change came through while I was online! (hardly surprising due to the time I'm spending on here atm =P) So new name, new theme! Bow before me

EDIT II: How's about this. I have a challenge for you. Take your answers to Giratina's corn-maze. Got your answer? Show me. Good. OK, now . . .

Write it. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to turn that answer into a creepy Hallowe'en 'special' oneshot. Split your characters into the teams you've specified and insert them into a creepy corn-maze full of Ghost-type Pokemon, people dressed as zombies etc, and one or two 'nasty' surprises, if it suits you. *pointedly looking at anyone but Shrike* Then post it as a oneshot by the 31st.

Who's up for it?

Last edited:

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013

I usually reference the game's animation-explanations (the ones shown in battle), unless the case is something like... say... Tackle. A Pokémon is not going to lurch forward a few inches and strike a foe. In that case, I would use the in-game move explanation or, in extreme cases, the anime. But usually the games. There isn't much to say on this question.

Levels, I pretty much leave alone but don't often bring up. They're usually referenced as a very, very elaborate 'strength tier listing' rather than a strict guideline that must be followed - it is possible for a level 40 Rhyperior to beat a level 48 Magnezone and so on, after all. Stats... I just take a glance at Marriland's rather useful 'statistics grid' included in the Platinum and DP 'dex entries, and make rough estimates on that. 'Dear Mew, Sableye's stats are pitiful!' 'Altaria's Special Defense is way, WAY higher than Drifblim's', things like that. Elemental strengths and weaknesses seem like perfectly logical concepts to me, and I keep each one in.

...And I so want to take up my own offer and do that, SD, but unfortunately Delta Species is only weighing in at... two characters. Fail. xD

Last edited:

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
    What about using an earlier fic? This being out-of-continuity and all, it shouldn't matter.

(And I'll take that as an OK. Sorry, I should have asked your permission first. >_<)

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    Fff, it's alright.

And oh dear, an older fic? Hehehe, I'll need to plan it out, then. Spoilers for Metal Coat below, yo.

Spoiler:

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    All of your characters are inserted into a giant corn maze, and must be split into teams. There can be two or three people in a team, one team having four if necessary, but nobody can go alone. What would the teams be, and how well would they get along in the maze?
    All of them? Or just the OCs?

At any rate: Aden and Harrison would be one team. They're already partners. If allowed to have their Pokemon, Harrison would have their two flying Pokemon look for a way out. If not allowed to have their Pokemon, then there would be maps, maps, and more maps. Plus a little bit of explaining as Harrison tells Aden exactly what he's doing. But in the end, they'd make it out.

With Shinrai and Lunamon, the Digimon would just nibble on the corn as Shinrai goes "omg stop eating the maze". With them, there'd be backtracking, meeting dead ends, and some cursing. But they'd make it out because Shinrai is a stubborn person.

Andy and Angel... Well, Andy would just be at the entrance going "how i walk through wall? :D" and Angel would just be all ":|" before deciding to forget Andy and go through the maze himself.

I write animeverse fic, so...

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    Yep, I still need to write a one-shot about the Legendary Fluffballs (Raikou, Entei, Suicune) and Ho-oh as well... |D

Dagzar

The Dreamer
    Years
    How's about this. I have a challenge for you. Take your answers to Giratina's corn-maze. Got your answer? Show me. Good. OK, now . . .

Write it. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to turn that answer into a creepy Hallowe'en 'special' oneshot. Split your characters into the teams you've specified and insert them into a creepy corn-maze full of Ghost-type Pokemon, people dressed as zombies etc, and one or two 'nasty' surprises, if it suits you. *pointedly looking at anyone but Shrike* Then post it as a oneshot by the 31st.

Who's up for it?
    … I'm very, very tempted for some reason. Now I want to change my teams around in case I do this because my current teams are looking a bit dull, oddly enough. <_<

Hmm, depending on how much time I have, I might do this or some random Halloween one-shot.

Bay

Years
    I'm not much of a battle competitor, so I pretty know Pokemon by attacks, abilities, and elemental strengths and that's how I roll with Pokemon battling. :P I do know levels too, but I don't mention them in my fic. Pretty much if a Pokemon learns Hyper Beam, for instance, then that means they're quite strong. I do however have those Pokemon learns a new attack scenes, though. XD

Depends. Most of the time I'll go how the anime portrays it because that media shows the attacks the best, and I say that because sometimes in the games two attacks look the same. XD However, I might go with my own interpretation if both medias didn't do so well portraying the attack.

As for Misheard Whisper's (why the name change? D: ) challenge, I might do it. However, I'm very busy this month, so not sure.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back