• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
My laptop's hard drive is pretty empty, as I have nothing to store at all. xD;; All my files and documents are in Google drive, and stuff like music, movies, and TV shows could be watched or listened directly online. My net connection is a little slow, so videos might take a while to load. Same can't be said about audio and image content, though, since they're much smaller in size.

Years
I have to have my music offline because I don't have a data plan to my phone, sadly :/

But listening to mp3s offline isn't bad either, because you don't have to wait for any buffer at all :p

Omicron

the day was mine
Years
I prefer having my music offline. Listening to music on the go through streaming would be a pain. Especially for larger FLAC files.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
250 and 500 sound sane. It's those that provide 50 per month that you'd have to worry about.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
I can manage 12+10... as long as I'm just browsing the web. It's a shame that I can't buy my own ADSL connection.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
Mine caps at 250GB and I usually get close if I torrent a lot. Also Netflix omg D:

Years
One thing I'm going to look for if I ever decide to build a desktop and set a budget aside for it is a damn good GPU for gaming, and hopefully one that isn't too noisy at the same time.

Don, what ISP do you have out of curiosity?

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
I'm thinking of getting a 750ti to replace the 640 I've got in my other computer, but I'm a bit concerned on the power supply. It's using a 300 w supply. I could swap supplies with this one though, it's a 400w, if I had to though.

Anyway, I think I need to start backing stuff up... like, right now.

NqYQSHE.jpg

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
I'm thinking of getting a 750ti to replace the 640 I've got in my other computer, but I'm a bit concerned on the power supply. It's using a 300 w supply. I could swap supplies with this one though, it's a 400w, if I had to though.

Anyway, I think I need to start backing stuff up... like, right now.

NqYQSHE.jpg

You mean moving stuff out to an external drive. It's not a backup until you have it in at least two different physical drives. (Partitions in the same drive don't count, and so do online storage.)

Looks like you're also going to need a bigger HDD.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
I was going to make a thread about this but it doesn't really apply to many ISPs soo yeah.

Is anyone aware of the "six strikes" policy? I didn't know this actually exists until I got a "copyright" warning from Time Warner stating that someone was downloading a tremendous amount of illegal content (aka torrents and stuff). I have a feeling my little sister was downloading music without my permission, and I had uninstalled torrent programs from the computer so...maybe that's why??

Has anyone had that similar warning before?

[link]

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I knew it existed so I've always been careful - especially not to seed. They don't nail you for torrenting unless it's super-popular torrents, but they'll nail you for seeding.

Years
I've heard of the Six-Strikes policy as well, and it sucks that you got slapped with a strike already, Megan. While it does seem to be a good way to crack down on piracy, I don't really think it's effective at all, really. @_@ There are many people in this world that are tech-illiterate and might have an open access point, and then have other people torrenting on that network. Who's going to get busted? Not the downloader, that's for sure.

Also, they can't necessarily nail you on seeding, unless they know what you're seeding. Not all torrents are illegal, and there might be an instance where one seeds something legit and not illegal.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Well...I assumed I didn't need to specify that when I'm talking about seeding, I'm talking about seeding illegal things. Obviously. I'm saying that downloading illegal things is very, very unlikely to get you caught, but seeding illegal things is far more likely.

You're right about the strikes though; I could be even more careful and use a Tor browser to find the torrent and a VPN to download it, but I've never been hit by anything so I don't bother.

Last edited:

SS01

#PoC Collab
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
I was going to make a thread about this but it doesn't really apply to many ISPs soo yeah.

Is anyone aware of the "six strikes" policy? I didn't know this actually exists until I got a "copyright" warning from Time Warner stating that someone was downloading a tremendous amount of illegal content (aka torrents and stuff). I have a feeling my little sister was downloading music without my permission, and I had uninstalled torrent programs from the computer so...maybe that's why??

Has anyone had that similar warning before?

[link]

We don't have this in Canada, but I highly recommend a VPN.. Only really effective way to hide yourself. I've had mine for a few months now and its been great. Downloading in Canada is at best legal and at worst a grey area - DMCA notices don't really happen here - but better safe than sorry. Also I can get American netflix/spotify/pandora/everything else we don't have here.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
You mean moving stuff out to an external drive. It's not a backup until you have it in at least two different physical drives. (Partitions in the same drive don't count, and so do online storage.)

Looks like you're also going to need a bigger HDD.

Nah, I do mean backup. Well, eventually. Burn to a dvd first, then copy over to a external. Eventually most of it will make it's way over to my new computer with a 3 tb drive.

I've got a number of spare drives I can use in a enclosure for backups, but I've just kept putting it off. (3 1 TB drives and a 500 gb)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back