• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
I would probably prefer gaming laptops rather than gaming desktops because I move around a lot. xD But that's also bad at the same time considering I'll probably get hooked on my games pretty easily.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Yeah, same here; if I were to buy any gaming computer, it would have to be a laptop. Chances of me actually getting one are pretty low, though; they're just too expensive. :( Have yet to run into affordable ones.

Years
My laptop is able to handle basic gaming thank gosh. It can play League of Legends at full resolution without lag (or lag not caused by the specs, because the game can lag on the server's side as well).. and so much more, really. I've also been able to run a Windows Vista VM in VMWare Player as well without much lag.

Years
I'm going to flip the gaming PC topic on its head right now.
I just purchased an app that allows me to map keyboard and mouse functions to external control surfaces.
I just edited my first drum track with a PS3 controller and now my entire computing life is like game. Some be as excited as I am!

Years
And you're talking dedicated VRAM and not shared VRAM right?

Not sure how much my laptop has.. but it's got enough to game.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
And you're talking dedicated VRAM and not shared VRAM right?

Not sure how much my laptop has.. but it's got enough to game.

Your laptop?

Variable. That's what happens with most modern integrated GPUs - it'll only use what it needs right now.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
Never really understood the philosophy behind the priciness of GPUs, especially compared to CPUs and their mobos and RAM that they use.

I would love to death anyone who knows how to get alt codes to work on the Hacker's Keyboard for Android ^o^

Years
Alt codes don't work on my tablet's physical keyboard.. but I do like how Alt-Tabbing is actually a feature on the Android OS. :3

Azu

Don't touch my milk.
Years
I would honestly rather have a desktop to game to be very honest.
My laptops never last longer than 3 years.
And with windows 8 in the market at the moment, I'm pretty much raging at how much those useless apps take of my CPU (I know I know I should just downgrade it back to windows 7, but I'm just lazy).
I have to say my laptop can handle Tera and LoL with no problems but still, I would drool the moment I have a huge screen in front of me where I could look at in full graphics to play games.
Not to mention they should be, I said should be easier to fix. :3

Ps. Linux does look nice but I'm totally not used to that kind of pcs not to mention I'm not really a programmer so it would be a waste.As for mac having a 'perfect' immune system.. I'm not rich, kay? And then that would mean I would have to try lots of stuff out just to get it to read .exe files, which is a nono for lazy persons like me. XD

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
As a programmer, I'm thinking about buying a Mac...but only because of Xcode. My old-ish Windows laptop works fine for Android development, but since you need OSX to get Xcode, any app I make is severely limited by not having a spare Mac around.

I'd really like to get a new Windows machine too though, so I have to make a tough choice soon.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Decisions, decisions. Decide what you feel is important first and foremost, and the priorities when making apps. Also don't forget costs too ;P

@ regarding windows 8 above, on some desktops you have the option to downgrade to 7 if you don't like the apps windows 8 offers. A few friends of mine have done so because they despise the look of 8 in general.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Unfortunately, I'm not such a huge fan of Windows 8, either. Was pretty disappointed by how much work they've put into their desktop, to be honest. Personally, I would have really liked it if it were more integrated into the start menu and resembled its interface better. Currently, they look completely unrelated. :(

Azu

Don't touch my milk.
Years
Decisions, decisions. Decide what you feel is important first and foremost, and the priorities when making apps. Also don't forget costs too ;P

@ regarding windows 8 above, on some desktops you have the option to downgrade to 7 if you don't like the apps windows 8 offers. A few friends of mine have done so because they despise the look of 8 in general.
Haven't found that option yet.. I suppose I could look into it, one day. Do you know if it works for laptops?

Years
I'm not sure if manufacturers send out links to downgrade to Windows 7, but it's pretty much a DIY thing you have to do by using an installation CD. It's not a part of the OS itself AFAIK

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Considering Windows doesn't play nice with any dual-booting, that's not surprising - I've dual-booted with Linux and Windows and it's always a pain if Windows isn't the first OS because Linux plays nice with a computer with Windows already on it but the reverse isn't true. I can only imagine what it's like when neither OS likes sharing...

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Setting it up could definitely be a pain, yeah. At one point, I wound up deleting my Windows partition while doing it. Eventually, though, I was able to get it all sorted, so thank god. :b

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Yeah the setting up is what I'm referring to - setting up a dual-boot of Linux is much easier because they have instructions designed for dual-boot, and the packages are set up to make it easy. Not so much with Windows.

Years
Don't get me started on accidental deletion of a Windows partition.. I still do that from time to time, and it really upsets me when I do it, even if it was unintentional ._. and it's bad enough that the data is usually gone in instances like that as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back