• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Question of the Day

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Nov 5, 2016
Vaporeon, which ive had since 9th July. i have kept feeding it stardust and it currently sits at 2083CP
i definately regret transferring my original Charmander though :(

Candela

Valor Leader
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 15, 2016
Aw, yeah, there's definitely sentimental value in your first Pokémon!

There's been lots of updates to Pokémon GO so far, with many new features. But so far none have introduced any new items!

QUESTION OF THE DAY

If you could introduce a new item to the game, what would it be? What will it do?

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 18, 2016
I would really love an item that produces more stardust somehow. Stardust runs out so quickly when powering up pokemon and is so difficult to restore that it would be great to have an item that can help restore it more quickly. I haven't given it TOO much thought, but three preliminary ideas I have are:

1. Include double stardust when using a lucky egg. Instead of just doubling XP, double the stardust collected during the time of a lucky egg.

2. Allow your buddy to pick up candies and/or stardust. Maybe stardust is randomly found by your buddy instead of candy? I know that they have said on random occasions your buddy might find some other items, but I have not experienced that thus far.

3. A timed item that grants you a certain amount of stardust for each km walked. So maybe for 15 minutes you get 1000 stardust for very kilometer walked? Obviously the numbers could be tweaked but that would be my new item idea.

Blanche

Mystic Leader
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 13, 2016
Here's a broad question...

QUESTION OF THE DAY

What aspect of the game do you want to see improved immediately?

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
Years
I want them to add more pokemon. I feel like I've almost caught everything. Also I want them to fix the tracking.

S­park

Instinct Leader
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 14, 2016
My turn again! This gets asked quite a lot, but most people keep it within their own groups.

QUESTION OF THE DAY

Between Instinct, Mystic, and Valor, how did you decide on which team to join?

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
Years
I wanted to join team instinct because I like zapdos, but my boyfriend wanted valor. So I am on valor haha.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 18, 2016
What aspect of the game do you want to see improved immediately?

I'm a day late, but I have strong feelings about this one: gyms. It's really frustrating because where I live all the gyms are Mystic, save 2, and they've all been trained up to level 8-10. I go battle gyms but I don't have the time or patience to defeat a gym 8-10 times in order to take it over. And even if I were to do that, due to the lack of Valor members (applies to Instinct too for that matter), the gym I took over would probably be defeated within 30 minutes (not even exaggerating. It makes it feel almost pointless to take on gyms. I'd love a fix to that.

How did you decide which team to join?

Honestly, I chose 100% randomly. Luckily most of my friends also ended up choosing valor, so it all worked out.

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
Years
I definitely agree with Gyms needing improvement. Then again, I don't want them to rip off too much combat mechanics from the core series games. We'll have to see just how creative they can get.

Candela

Valor Leader
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 15, 2016
Speaking of Gyms...!

QUESTION OF THE DAY

What's the longest time you've controlled a Gym? Tell us how you did it.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 18, 2016
I definitely agree with Gyms needing improvement. Then again, I don't want them to rip off too much combat mechanics from the core series games. We'll have to see just how creative they can get.

Is your concern with gyms the actual mechanics of battling within them? I agree that is flawed, but for me the bigger frustration is the method by which gyms are trained, taken over, etc.

For today's question:
My longest gym hold was maybe 3-4 days. It's the only time I've been able to hold a gym for over 24 hours. Whenever I see a red gym, I do my best to make sure I train it and add a pokemon in order to try to help the gym stay red for as long as possible. I think it got up to level 6 and it held pretty well because that particular gym (at work) is particularly inactive. If one team makes the commitment to get it up to level 8-10, it would remain that way for weeks probably. We got it up to level 6 and held for a several days.

Years
  • Age 63
  • Seen Apr 4, 2017
I've had one pokemon in a gym for over two weeks and counting! It is level 9 or 10, when rival teams battle it the bottom pokemon drops out but then someone else brings it back up to level 10. Luckily, my pokemon is one from the top. But it starts to become a battle among team members to get high up in the CP ranking, meanwhile the gym gets stronger and stronger. Right now the lowest CP in the gym is something like 1800 and the highest, 2200.

I think that that if one team has held a gym for a whole week, everyone in the gym should get some "huge extra bonus", then the next day they should all be kicked out and the gym should start fresh. These level 10 gyms just keep getting stronger and stronger, it is difficult for one person to take them down. With several people, it is possible (apparently, rivals aren't teaming up). Right now my 12 highest CP pokemon are all in gyms, makes me weak for taking out big gyms.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 18, 2016
I've had one pokemon in a gym for over two weeks and counting! It is level 9 or 10, when rival teams battle it the bottom pokemon drops out but then someone else brings it back up to level 10. Luckily, my pokemon is one from the top. But it starts to become a battle among team members to get high up in the CP ranking, meanwhile the gym gets stronger and stronger. Right now the lowest CP in the gym is something like 1800 and the highest, 2200.

I think that that if one team has held a gym for a whole week, everyone in the gym should get some "huge extra bonus", then the next day they should all be kicked out and the gym should start fresh. These level 10 gyms just keep getting stronger and stronger, it is difficult for one person to take them down. With several people, it is possible (apparently, rivals aren't teaming up). Right now my 12 highest CP pokemon are all in gyms, makes me weak for taking out big gyms.

I like this idea. I like taking on gyms, but it completely defeats the purpose when all the gyms are level 8-10 and I unfortunately seem to be in an area with little to no Valor or Instinct players to take on those Mystic gyms. I am not going to sit there at 5 different gyms battling 10 times each (50 battles) to try to take them on. Maybe If it was one gym, but even then it would probably take me a few hours to battle a level 10 gym down just due to the sheer number of pokemon that I would have to battle. If the gyms were reset every week, at least that way a level 10 gym that no one can take down because they're not taking them down as a team, but individually will be reset and it's a fresh start for any team to establish control.

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
Years
Attaching big bonuses for holding a Gym longer than a period of time, say, a week, would be far easier for places with lower population densities. In urban/big city areas, Gyms last minutes at most, with near impossibility to even level a Gym past 4 or 5 because opposing players will beat it down before you even get to level it enough. Even if a team decides to level a Gym up during hours with low activity, a level 8+ Gym can be taken down within hours of the day... minutes if a group tackles the Gym together.

The highest level Gym I was part of was level 8, and this was about two months ago when few people had Pokémon higher than CP2000. Meanwhile the majority of Pokémon was in that range yet the Gym was trampled in about half an hour. Yesterday evening, on my way back from work, I took down a level 4 Gym by myself using a single CP3000 Dragonite. I then planted a CP2800 Dragonite there and the Gym ended up with a CP2300 Vaporeon as its lowest Pokémon, followed by a CP2400 Snorlax, a CP2400 Exeggutor, my Dragonite, and a CP3100 Dragonite as the leader. Guess how long that Gym lasted before it was taken out?

15 minutes. I wasn't even able to get on my train yet.

The only solution I can think of would be to balance how fast a Gym can be leveled up in comparison to how fast it can be taken down in the current game. Taking down a Gym is by far the easiest process between the two. I can't count how many times I solo level 7+ Gyms in the suburbs. It's just a matter of having stronger Pokémon and a little bit of patience to stomp your way through.

Last edited:

Blanche

Mystic Leader
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 13, 2016
We'll revisit the subject of Gyms another time.

QUESTION OF THE DAY

Many of us look for Pokémon near our homes. What's the rarest or most surprising Pokémon that appeared near yours?

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
Years
The most surprising was a snorlax I caught. It was a street over from my house. This has been the only snorlax I have ever seen.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 18, 2016
Attaching big bonuses for holding a Gym longer than a period of time, say, a week, would be far easier for places with lower population densities. In urban/big city areas, Gyms last minutes at most, with near impossibility to even level a Gym past 4 or 5 because opposing players will beat it down before you even get to level it enough. Even if a team decides to level a Gym up during hours with low activity, a level 8+ Gym can be taken down within hours of the day... minutes if a group tackles the Gym together.

The highest level Gym I was part of was level 8, and this was about two months ago when few people had Pokémon higher than CP2000. Meanwhile the majority of Pokémon was in that range yet the Gym was trampled in about half an hour. Yesterday evening, on my way back from work, I took down a level 4 Gym by myself using a single CP3000 Dragonite. I then planted a CP2800 Dragonite there and the Gym ended up with a CP2300 Vaporeon as its lowest Pokémon, followed by a CP2400 Snorlax, a CP2400 Exeggutor, my Dragonite, and a CP3100 Dragonite as the leader. Guess how long that Gym lasted before it was taken out?

15 minutes. I wasn't even able to get on my train yet.

The only solution I can think of would be to balance how fast a Gym can be leveled up in comparison to how fast it can be taken down in the current game. Taking down a Gym is by far the easiest process between the two. I can't count how many times I solo level 7+ Gyms in the suburbs. It's just a matter of having stronger Pokémon and a little bit of patience to stomp your way through.

Yeah I suppose it is hard to regulate the gym dynamics because it's so different everywhere. The problem is so starkly opposite here that a level 8-10 gym has held for 1-2 weeks thus far and now 5 out of the 7 gyms in my town are mystic level 8-10, one is valor level 7 and one is a level 3 mystic. Things are pretty static and not changing.

I personally don't have the patience to take down even two of those gyms at a time because it'll just take too long and if I take one out, by the time I come back to that location later that day it's already been trained up by Mystic.

We'll revisit the subject of Gyms another time.

QUESTION OF THE DAY

Many of us look for Pokémon near our homes. What's the rarest or most surprising Pokémon that appeared near yours?

Mine was a Lickitung yesterday! I've never seen one ever, and only once saw it on my nearby. I also got a Lapras right outside my place, but it's one of three I've seen in the wild so I guess not the rarest.

S­park

Instinct Leader
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 14, 2016
The Buddy feature has been out for a couple weeks now!

QUESTION OF THE DAY

How far have you traveled with your current Buddy?

Years
  • Age 63
  • Seen Apr 4, 2017
The Buddy feature has been out for a couple weeks now!

QUESTION OF THE DAY

How far have you traveled with your current Buddy?

I've got 60km with Growlithe, and I've already switched buddies twice. For the first day it was Dratini, but somehow my Dratini candies weren't going up?

Back