• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Kalos Starters

Years
Kalos_starters_XY_anime_2.png

So, like any other region we all have a choice between three Pokemon, a Grass-type, a Fire-type and a Water-type. And here in Kalos we have the resident trio of Chespin, Fennekin and Froakie!

Each one has some unique differences, such as stat spreads, design and even the secondary types they gain in their final stages, making each one pretty usable in their own way. Which one of the three did you choose in your game and why? Are you a fan of the RPG design themes present in their evolution lines? How would you have wanted them done differently?

Urugamosu

Happy, and Searching.
Years
I've always stuck with choosing a water type for my Pokemon games, probably because I like blue. Anyway (I think you can tell...), I chose....

Froakie!
656.gif

Besides that fact, I like froakie, because it becomes half-dark in it's final stage when it becomes Greninja, which is basically a ninja frog, and what's not great about that!
658.gif

Reactions: Sun

Ashes to Ashes

Serenade of Cerne
Years
Chesnaught is my favorite grass starter and in my top favorite Pokemon, might be as high as #3 or 4. I love all the Kalos starters tho. Fire/Psychic is one hell of a cool typing, and the Dark typing helped save Greninja since I dont really like Water types.

Meng Jiaxin

Dragonlord of the Seas
Years
Fire wizard! How could you choose anything other than Fennekin when it evolves into Delphox? :P

But seriously, Fire/Psychic is one of the most awesome combinations (Victini!) along with Water/Dragon (although I don't really care for Kingdra - Gyarados should totally be this).

khaozz

Peace sells, but who's buying?
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 26, 2018
When X and Y was first revealed, I simply fell in love with Fennekin. I instantly decided I would pick Fennekin as my starter. When the Kalos starters' evolutions were released, I was even more convinced that the Fire Fox was the choice for me. Braixen just looked amazing, and was adorable just like its pre-evo. Then, when the starter's final form was released, seeing Delphox for the first time just made me want to get the game already so I could blast through Kalos with the bad-ass Witch Fox. I know some people thought the ear hair looked ugly, but to me it was a nice part of its design and made it look even cooler (as well as even more adorable). In every single one of my playthroughs of X or Y, I've always picked Fennekin and I never regret it. It's my third favorite starter of all time (behind Typhlosion and Blaziken).

As for the others, I was initially indifferent towards the Chespin line, but now I've come to like them. I never liked the Froakie line at all and Greninja is actually my least favorite starter, as well as my second least favorite Pokemon of all time. (That's just my opinion, and I respect the opinion of those who do like it)

Frozen Lotus

Shay's Ice Prince
Years
  • Age 35
  • Ohio
  • Seen Nov 17, 2015
I chose Froakie, and I'd stand by that line being my favorite of the Kalos starters overall. I love Fennekin, but honestly I already have Ninetales, and while I do like the entire line... Delphox could have used a redraw for me.

Chespin's line is interesting. I think Chespin is cute, if a bit awkward, while I really don't like Quilladin. Chesnaught, on the other hand, is really cool and prooobably my favorite Grass starter final stage... but its nose and lack of ears weird me out. If those issues were fixed, it'd EASILY be my favorite Grass starter, and possibly my favorite Kalos starter.

Froakie's line, though? While I admit Greninja is NOT my favorite Water starter finale (it's actually #4 if you count Mega evolutions, and #3 if you don't) I definitely like it quite a bit, and I absolutely ADORE Frogadier. Froakie is cute and I can't really complain, but it's not what I'd call precious so it isn't quite one of my favorite line starters.

Years
I'm on the Froakie train as well, in fact when the starters were first revealed it was originally my least fave of the three and my fave was Chespin. But when evolutions were revealed, and also my positive reaction to Froakie in the first XY anime trainer, my love of Froakie surged. Now he's my fave, with Fennekin second and Chespin as my least fave nowadays.

I definitely did not regret choosing Froakie in my X playthrough. Greninja did wonders for me throughout most of the game, especially given I built a pretty solid team around it. The fact it can learn so many cool moves makes it more fun to use as well, along with being the first speedy Water starter.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 27, 2022
For some reason I just became a hardcore member of #TeamChespin in the run up to X/Y. Think it might have been cause I knew that there was the event Torchic, and I thought that I'd enjoy using Chespin/Squirtle more than Bulbasaur/Froakie. And I felt Chespin (Buckleberry) delivered on everything he promised.

I've really come to appreciate Froakie: I was initially a little bit put off by how Greninja seemed to be in every single OU team when the games originally came out.

I've started a new game on Y using the handful of low-level shinies I've acquired over the last few years, and I've picked Fennekin as my starter. He's only level 12, but already I love him (his name is Flitwick :DD)

Overall, I think they're all pretty top-level starters. Think I still prefer Kanto's and Hoenn's, but think Kalos' might come after that.

Years
Fennekin, as I always choose fire starters on my first journeys. I love the fire-psychic combination. I got couple of Shiny Fennekins on Masuda Method as well and I think Shiny Fennekin looks even better.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
Years
I love all of them. I picked Fennekin because I like mages and liked the idea of having a black mage as a starter but I got Froakie soon after I left Aquacorde.... not that I mind. I like thieves too. I didn't get Chespin until after I beat the game but I like it too.

I like the way they went with them, applying RPG class archtypes to them. I just wish the rest of the game was built around that as opposed to this weird mishmash of Pokemon and RPG type story. I also wish Delphox had a different signature move but eh, what can you do? (They totally should have just put Flare in. It's a black mage after all.)

GreenDog3

The Emerald Master
Years
I chose Fenniken, gennerally because it was the cutest. I liked its evo. line but i think they should have put a gender difference since most starters in xy are male, including Fenniken, but the design was a female. They should have made males look like wizards, and the girls look the same as they do now.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 17, 2016
On my first playthrough I chose Fennekin. Froakie on my second.Compared to Delphox and Greninja, Chesnaught is just too slow and bulky. It doesn't really fit for my in game playstyle, which is sweeper oriented.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
I choose fennekin because Froakie & Chespin final evolution wrecks havoc to deal against fairy-type on halfway and dem Sylveon

Princess Sapphire

Master Expert
Years
  • Age 37
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 17, 2023
In each region, I have my favorites

Kanto - Charmander
Johto - Chikorita
Hoenn - Torchic
Sinnoh - Chimchar
Unova - Snivy

For Kalos, it's Fennekin. Sure, they're all good, but I seem to favor the Fire types, either by cuteness or by the look of the final form. I always seem to favor the Fire type starter. But at the same time, I have a pattern that enables me to use all 3 starters throughout the generation. So I don't really need to choose or play favorites

Back