• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Kalos Starters

Meng Jiaxin

Dragonlord of the Seas
Years
  • In each region, I have my favorites

Kanto - Charmander
    Johto - Chikorita
    Hoenn - Torchic
    Sinnoh - Chimchar
    Unova - Snivy

For Kalos, it's Fennekin. Sure, they're all good, but I seem to favor the Fire types, either by cuteness or by the look of the final form. I always seem to favor the Fire type starter. But at the same time, I have a pattern that enables me to use all 3 starters throughout the generation. So I don't really need to choose or play favorites
    I too have my favourites!
    Kanto - Pikachu~
    Johto - Totodile
    Hoenn - Sceptile
    Sinnoh - Piplup (though I used Chimchar to fit in my Platinum run's theme)
    Unova - Snivy

It seems I'm the total opposite as Fennekin is the only Fire starter I favour (although if I wasn't playing Yellow for Kanto, I would've gone with Charmander).

Also BlueDogXL, why no Sylveon?:P

Tiger In A Tie

Tigers can train Pokemon, too.
    Years
  • Chespin all the way. It's totally adorable! Although my Chesnaut I barely use because I find the typing to not be the greatest. Still looks cool, though. :)

kingdenas

#Team Popplio <3
    Years
  • Well I chose Chespin (although I usually pick water-type startes) because I knew about the torchic event and I planned to have him in my team, and I wanted to have a blastoise in the team too so I picked squirtle from the professor lab! Chespin is cute, but I don't like his evolutions ... I'm sry Chespin lovers.
    I really like the last evolution of Froakie, Greninja(he becomes an awesome ninja, how cool is that?) but in the previous evolutions, he is just a frog ... nothing special!
    And I really like all of the evolutions of Fennekin! He becomes Fire/Psychic, breaking that fire starters line (Torchic, Chimchar, Tepig) that evolve into Fire/Fighting Pokémon (Blaziken, Infernape, Emboar).
    If I had to choose one of the Kalos starters, I would pick Froakie! As I said ... I usually pick water-type starter pokémon!

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I've went with Chespin in my first run, and haven't regretted it one bit. Chesnaught is a pretty unique Pokémon in its own right, and I feel it's worth putting all the time and effort towards training Chespin to have it evolve into the Pokémon.

My second favorite is Froakie, with third being Fennekin.

Years
  • I chose Chespin because I always go for the Grass Starter, however I wasn't overly keen on it's evolutions design wise. I adore Froakie and Greninja is awesome! Fennekin is super cute too! I did actually have them all on my team for most of my main playthrough so that was pretty neat.

Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2015
    I've chosen grass every time since Blue version. However, this is the first time I picked water right off the bat. Could bring myself to choose Chespin.

Years
  • I chose Froakie, but only after I found out that it evolves into a ninja frog!

Regardless of the RPG, I have always preferred playing as the speedy yet vulnerable/stealthy class, most notably in Final Fantasy. Sometimes I play the cookie-cutter "hero with a sword and shield" class because you often end up starting out with those, but Mage/Sorcerer type characters have never really been my thing due to my weakness in indirect combat.

Years
  • My first play of X was Fennekin, my second was Chespin. Whenever that next version comes for Kalos I am gonna go with Chespin again. I like Greninja and all, but I take my starters to a personal level as if I had to choose in real life, and grass types are my favorite. So yeah, sorry Froakie :(

Aether

Preparing Emergency Food
    Years
  • The moment I saw Chesnaught's design leaked, I pledged to pick Chespin as my starter, and I've never regretted it.

Chesnaught is just excellent at what it does, being bulky while able to deal powerful punches, and its design beautifully emphasizes that.

shadowmoon522

Master of Darkness & Light
    Years
    • Age 33
    • PA
    • Seen Apr 28, 2024
    as soon as i saw the the artwork of the 3 starters,
    Froakie_sprite.png
    or
    fennekin_sprite_by_dancesofshadows-d5qwyza.png
    was my choice. before i got X i had already known full well of the second starter with megastone as well as shauna giving the starter week to one one chosen at the begining of the game so i decided on
    Froakie_sprite.png
    with
    004.gif
    as my second
    as for the other gens...
    the first pokemon game i got a hold of was yellow with a gameboy color as a christmas present mailed to me from my father.(i was living in indiana at the time ) so i didn't have any choice of starter til i got red within the next few days to a month. i don't really know, i did however spend a lot of time playing yellow. it kinda threw my teachers off guard that i was playing a video game in their classes while simultaneously doing my work and getting better scores then the rest of my class while still being one of the ones with the most detentions due to getting into fights,
    once i got red i decided on
    004.gif
    right off the bat after seeing how awesome it was in yellow. soon after i got red, i got a blue version & chose
    007.gif
    years passed & the second gen came. i got both gold & silver at the same time. on gold i chose
    155.gif
    & on silver i chose
    158.gif

then came the 3ed gen with ruby & sapphire & again i got both at the same time
    with ruby i got
    258.gif

sapphire i got
    252.gif

then i got Colosseum with the 2 awesome eeveelutions as the starters
    next came the gen 1 remakes, i got firered first with
    004.gif
    as my starter then got leafgreen & got
    001.gif
    as my starter
    after that came emerald and
    255.gif
    as my starter
    xd gale of darkness & chose to evolve that
    133.gif
    into a
    136.gif

then i got diamond & chose
    387.gif
    as my starter
    with pearl i got
    390.gif

platinum &
    393.gif
    as a starter
    i got hg & ss with a gamestop preorder and got a
    155.gif
    as a starter with hg &
    152.gif
    on my ss
    got
    495.png
    on black & black2
    got
    498.png
    on white & white2

Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2017
    I prefer chespin over the other two fennekin and froakie but my favorite choice of starters would be the three johto starters Pokémon

Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2024
    This is the first time I didn't choose the fire starter because 1) I wanted to use the Charmander Sycamore gives you and 2) I didn't like Fennekin that much

I ended up with Chespin. I like the secondary types and themes they gave the starters.

Years
  • In X I chose Froakie and Y I chose Fennekin!
    I love both their final evos equally so!
    I like Chespin, but Chesnaught not so much :<

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    FENNEKIN ALL THE WAY.

I love the Fennekin line so much, honestly. It's easily tied with Chikorita for my favorite starter, although admittedly I do think Delphox's design could have been a little bit better, but it's not the worst.

Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2016
    To me, Delphox is one of the worst looking Pokémon to ever exist. Which is a shame because I actually liked Fennekin the best out of the three starters when they were revealed! Chespin was a close second. I thought all three starters looked good when they were revealed and then their evolutions hit. Didn't like Quilladin, didn't like Frogadier, Braxien wasn't what I was expected but probably the best out of a bad bunch.

Then the final evolutions hit. I liked Greninja, thought Chesnaught looked awkward and was nearly sick when I seen Delphox. Ok, maybe not literally haha. Just like to exaggerate for effect :P But I was so gutted with the way it looked.

Anyway, Greninja all the way, Chesnaught looks a bit awkward, but I'm awkward too so I still kinda like the big guy!

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2018
    I like the idea of picking the water starter, because then your starter is the one who carries you over the water :p
    A bit of a difficult choice sometimes, though... since in X/Y, if you use Surf with a Lapras, it uses an actual Lapras when surfing, and in OR/AS, you surf super fast if you use a Sharpedo... so many decisions!

Dillon_68

Lover of Winter
    Years
  • Initially started out with Chespin, and liked him a lot. Trained Fennekin a bit to register it's forms in the Pokedex and ended up claiming it as my 6th gen starter. This is only the second Fire starter I've ever used, with Torchic being the other, so it's a bit unusual for me to fall in love with it, but Delphox is awesome.

Back