• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Kalos Starters

Years
  • I am pretty happy that i got the Adamant Chespin in my Y playthrough from Shauna. Though maybe the nature was already set but then again, I wouldn't know.

The starter that Shauna gives you in the postgame has a set nature and while I'm not sure if they have a set gender, I'm assuming they are male since I know I got the Fennekin and it was male so I think they are set like that. As far as the natures go, the Chespin (Chester) is Adamant, Fennekin (Kinniekins) is Modest and Froakie (Froabble) is Jolly.

LadyVenus

Team Cipher
    Years
  • My favorite Kalos starter is Froakie. Greninja is an absolute beast. I'm not a big fan of the Chespin line. Chespin is cute but I kind of wish its evolutions would have been designed a little differently. I'm also not a huge fan of Delphox. To me, Braixen is more aesthetically pleasing.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
  • To be honest when the 3 Kalos where originally introduced in January 2013, didn't liked any of the 3, back then still loved cats more none of the 3 resembled any - but some time around April and May I started to fall in love with foxes - so naturally Fennekin started to catch my attention.

When XY came out I made up my mind and choose Fennekin as my starter.

Now Fennekin is my most favorite of all starters combined.
    So cute in game (and in the anime too)
    Braixen is my 3rd Favorite Pokemon (behind Flareon and Ninetales)
    Delphox awesome looking (and cute too).
    So happy I choose them as my favorite.

Anytime I play an X, Y, (and next 6th generation main game) I will gladly choose Fennekin.

as for the other 2?
    Chespin is OK, funny in the anime.
    Quilladin looks odd at first getting used to it
    Chesnaught at first didn't liked since it didn't resemble Chespin or Quilladin at first, getting to slowly like it

Frokie and it's two evo's to this day I can't stand or like, they are almost rock bottom at my favorite's list.

Majestic Electric

Raining on your parade!
    Years
  • I haven't picked a Fire-starter since Cyndaquil, but I don't regret choosing Fennekin one bit! It's not only adorable, but it also evolves into a Fire / Psychic type! I'm also a sucker for canid-like Pokemon.

Sukyandaru

kimi ni baby sweet berry love
    Years
    • Seen Apr 15, 2019
    First generation where I picked a Fire type first since gen2, Fennekin is just too cute! And the magician kinda thing going on with Delphox was pretty cool, too.
    Next time I play XY I'm not sure who I'd pick, to be honest ><

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Feb 6, 2016
    I chose Fennekin because of how adorable it looks and that it reminds me of my grandmother's dog lol.

Fannie

Don't let my milk go lumpy
    Years
    • Age 32
    • UK
    • Seen Dec 31, 2016
    Greninja looks the least weird to me. I'm not a fan of the Kalos starters to be honest. I like how they look before they evolve.

Kaiyu

Has officially quit PC
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2016
    Usually I would pick the water type but this time I didn't and picked the fire type. Froakie and Fennekin both look cute in their own ways but I chose Fennekin because I never had a fire type as a starter before. I wanted to try something different this time.

Years
  • I've chosen all of them multiple times, but Chespin was the one I chose in my very first time through X, and the last playthrough I did. But my most notable adventure in them had me going with Froakie, where it lived to the end. I like all three of them, I can't help but be amused at Froakie's puzzled look.

Pond

I'm not cute, I'll mess you up.
    Years
  • Like Pendraflare says, I've chosen them all multiple times. The first starter I got was Chespin, but I think Fennekin grew the most on me. c:

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2015
    I went with Chespin because I really liked his design, but I ended up regretting it because I didn't really like his later evolutions too much.

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2017
    I love chespin the most. Chesnaught has really good defense, so he can take a lot of physical hits. The only downside about him is that flying-types will destroy him in an instant. I think it can be countered by teaching him rock slide or stone edge.

Also, his design looks awesome. He looks like a cross between a chestnut, an armadillo and a soldier.

Sirenita55

Team Popplio!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2018
    Whilst I'm super excited to be finally getting Pokemon X soon (awaiting my order), I'm dreading this choice. Before the games were released, I was sure I would continue my usual trend of picking the Water type (with the exception of Charmander when I was a 9 year old playing Red). When I saw the starters, I became far more divided. Each of them is adorable in their first stage and I'm not that fond of any of their final stages. This is the first time I've had a Pokemon game where I've genuinely struggled to decide who to start with, hopefully it will become easier once I have the game in hand. Having said that, I've gone back and forth on this potential decision since I became aware of the starters. I love foxes which makes me favour Fennekin.. but then Froakie is a cute frog and my favourite type... Chespin is my favourite colour and very, very cute... I'm starting to sound like the Pokemon Fan Club President XD

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2016
    Had to go with my ninja, Greninja. Ha I'm hilarious. Anyway I think what sold me on greninja more than anything else is sweet tongue scarf. Also protean is pretty awesome.

Sirenita55

Team Popplio!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2018
    Received an email saying my Pokemon X was ready for collection in store, a whole 7 days before it was expected to arrive. This means I had even less time to decide on which starter! However, I decided to go with Chespin who now has the honour of being my first Grass type starter on a first play of any Pokemon game (outside of Pokemon Red, where I picked Charmander, I always pick the Water type to start with). Looking forward to seeing how Chespin and I work together! :D

EDIT: I have since started again as I regretted not choosing Fennekin and I'm much more content now! I actually picked Fennekin initially, but changed as I couldn't manage to reset for a female one and I got pretty impatient. Fennekin has become my favourite Kalos starter hands down!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2022
    in X i picked chespin because i planned on getting charmander and i didn't think my party had room for two fire types.

Back