• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

You have been denounced! Note: You are not at war. (Civilization)

Ullion

[color=#00cc99][i]Simic Synthesis[/i][/color]
Years
  • All the freebies are one of the reasons why I don't like V. You get random muk for finding ruins (free population! free faith! free culture!, happiness from finding natural wonders, gold from city states... Wacking city states for workers is the one right strategy, city state quests often are things you'd do yourself, social policies give you free workers, settlers, and buildings. I could work a wheat tile to grow my capital faster in the early game ... or I could get free population, I could build a shrine ... or I could get free faith from either religious city-states or ruins. If you didn't get all these freebies, you'd have interesting strategic choices - should I build a shrine to found a pantheon, a monument to boost my progress toward my next policy, or a granary to enhance growth? Nah, I'll just get all those, for free. It really kills the gameplay.

While I understand your point - I don't really agree with you. The free amount you get from ruins is completely chance-based, so you can't go up to a ruin and say "well I'm obviously gunna get x" (unless you're Shoshone). And even then, whatever you get for free is only a small boost. It gets you more right away, but only a small bit (enough for one fast policy or pantheon, or enough gold to buy 1 tile?) whereas getting legitimate infrastructure will have it's presence felt all game and will build up to have more of an effect later on.

Euphoric

Indefatigable
    Years
  • This happens in IV on the lower difficulties if the game engine thinks you're falling too far behind. Maybe the V game engine is telling you something. :P Well, it also happens due to favorable RNG for the session in both games as well, so...
    Yes, it occurs in IV, and III for that matter, but (imo) it has less of an impact. If you're playing on Settler (easiest) on IV, you have large chances to get game-breaking settlers and workers. Here's a chart. The thing is, it doesn't matter on those low levels because you receive absurd advantages anyway, even if you never popped a hut all game you should still beat the AIs handily. As you move up the levels, you'll usually get either gold, maps, or the odd tech or experience. Even so, the bonuses you get have less of an impact on the overall game than in V.

Regarding Ullion's point, yes, the boost is small, but it's very important. If you're generating 1 culture per turn in the early game, like you probably will, popped faith or culture saves you TWENTY turns to your first policy! 20! That's insane! Not to mention getting your pick of pantheon beliefs. Civ is a snowball game, small advantages add up. That's like getting a free worker in Civ4 and thus not having to waste 20 turns training one up yourself. That means you literally win 20 turns sooner.

As for the infrastructure, I could get into that, but I'm not going to :p

TY

Civ V is easier than IV, which was to get more people into playing the series. It's more of a "Civ for dummies", but I don't really mind that tbh :p

I often start at a age where those bonuses are really of no use unless it's faith-based or a unit upgrade. But to think of it, the faith bonus only applies if you have either the G&K or the BNW expansion... which actually is a must have to enjoy Civ V imho

Years
  • Bump.

Anyone interested in a Play by Email or Pitboss game of Civilization IV Beyond the Sword? Choosing these methods to make it easier for people to join in from all corners of the world.

We'd have to establish parameters, first, as well as how many people. And whether we're going to use a random map, a mod (I know a few, but they get kind of resource intensive and also require the game to be updated to version 3.19), or a scenario map. And whether we're going to allow tiered difficulties or require everyone at the same difficulty. As well as whether we're going to have any AI players and any barbarians. And all sorts of other fun stuff.

So, anyone up for it?

Euphoric

Indefatigable
    Years
  • Bump.

Anyone interested in a Play by Email or Pitboss game of Civilization IV Beyond the Sword? Choosing these methods to make it easier for people to join in from all corners of the world.

We'd have to establish parameters, first, as well as how many people. And whether we're going to use a random map, a mod (I know a few, but they get kind of resource intensive and also require the game to be updated to version 3.19), or a scenario map. And whether we're going to allow tiered difficulties or require everyone at the same difficulty. As well as whether we're going to have any AI players and any barbarians. And all sorts of other fun stuff.

So, anyone up for it?
    Pitboss? Sure.

Years
  • I'd be fine with PBEM too :p

Do we got anyone else for our game? I have a feeling you'd kick my behind in a 1v1, haha. I haven't been playing a whole lot lately due to growing bored of games against the AI and also because sometimes I get off to horrendous starts due to awful start locations that I don't recognize as awful right off the bat.

I also kinda want to have a human strategy element to it. I never get that because the people I know offline never play more than a night's worth before deciding that they're gonna lose.

Euphoric

Indefatigable
    Years
  • Do we got anyone else for our game? I have a feeling you'd kick my behind in a 1v1, haha. I haven't been playing a whole lot lately due to growing bored of games against the AI and also because sometimes I get off to horrendous starts due to awful start locations that I don't recognize as awful right off the bat.

I also kinda want to have a human strategy element to it. I never get that because the people I know offline never play more than a night's worth before deciding that they're gonna lose.
    Not necessarily, I haven't really played any civ in months. World of Tanks/Warships are occupying my time much more atm.

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Aug 31, 2016
    I could probably play some Civ 4 or Civ 5 multiplayer, I've played those before. Thing is, I'm absolutely terrible at it and I haven't played in forever, so any of you could probably kick my butt 9 times out of 8.

Her

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    I'd love to play Civ 5 sometime, but preferably with a ban on humans using Poland. Lets not be cruel.

Ullion

[color=#00cc99][i]Simic Synthesis[/i][/color]
    Years
  • I'd love to play Civ 5 sometime, but preferably with a ban on humans using Poland. Lets not be cruel.

I've never played Poland, but all my friends play with that same ruling too - is he really that OP?

Her

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    I've never played Poland, but all my friends play with that same ruling too - is he really that OP?

Casimir III is just a very annoying leader if he's able to get a good foothold in the early game, as Poland is the most versatile civilisation in almost any scenario and can use the foothold to do whatever it wants.

Years
  • Not necessarily, I haven't really played any civ in months. World of Tanks/Warships are occupying my time much more atm.

I could probably play some Civ 4 or Civ 5 multiplayer, I've played those before. Thing is, I'm absolutely terrible at it and I haven't played in forever, so any of you could probably kick my butt 9 times out of 8.

If you're both interested (or even just one of you), let's get setup for a PBEM match. Do you both have Beyond the Sword and Warlords for your expansions?
    Are your games patched up to 3.19 if you have both expansions?
    Do we want any AI?
    How about barbarians?
    Are we going to allow players to choose their difficulty, or are we going to require that everyone play on the same difficulty? For that matter, what difficulties do you play on? I play on warlord most often, myself.
    Do we wanna use any mods?
    Do we wanna use any scenarios?
    Any Civs we want to ban the use of?
    What map type do we want if we're not using a scenario?

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Aug 31, 2016
    I only have Civ 5 on my computer right now, so I can't actually play. Sorry :(

Euphoric

Indefatigable
    Years
  • If you're both interested (or even just one of you), let's get setup for a PBEM match. Do you both have Beyond the Sword and Warlords for your expansions?
    Are your games patched up to 3.19 if you have both expansions?
    Do we want any AI?
    How about barbarians?
    Are we going to allow players to choose their difficulty, or are we going to require that everyone play on the same difficulty? For that matter, what difficulties do you play on? I play on warlord most often, myself.
    Do we wanna use any mods?
    Do we wanna use any scenarios?
    Any Civs we want to ban the use of?
    What map type do we want if we're not using a scenario?
    Yes.
    Yes.
    I'd prefer a couple, a 1v1 doesn't sound that great - maybe even try a 2v2 against a pair of AI?
    All would have to be on the same difficulty, so the playing field would be even. I generally play on Prince.
    Nah. I use BUG, but that doesn't change any of the gameplay.
    Nah.
    Maybe Mansa.
    I'm partial to Fractal, but Pangaea may be the better choice.

Back