• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The DCC: New Spring Edition coming soon 3/21!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • I saw some stuff about SOPA/PIPA on the news yesterday and it looks like a lot of the politicians who originally backed them are now shying away and dropping their support. Yay.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Last time I checked it lost 3 co-sponsors too :3

Sweet Candace

So Awesome! /)^ɛ^(\
    Years
  • I saw some stuff about SOPA/PIPA on the news yesterday and it looks like a lot of the politicians who originally backed them are now shying away and dropping their support. Yay.

Because whoever is supporting this bill will be blacklisted and basically cast-off from society, because the law will bring about the death of the Internet.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    The government at this point should realize that it'll be dumb to try to pass the bill. To today's society, passing the bill would be just like when they tried to ill-legalize alcohol. Nothing good is going to come from it, just a ton of upset citizens, and chaos. Lots of chaos.

Least... that's what I figure will come if they pass this bill. But it's good that it's losing support. The less support it has, the less likely it'll pass.

jpp8

Producer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2013
    You'd think they'd would all learn from the past or heed the warnings the consequences of these actions, but no. Our current system government is too concerned with protecting the interests of big corporations and give them so much money in the form of lobbyists and Super-PAC contributions. If SOPA is met with opposition from the general public, they'll find some way to sensationalize it in a way that it seems like the only way to save America or the world. Media already exercised that method of propaganda with the virtually non-existent coverage of the Occupy protests outside of police raids and isolated incidents of crime.

jpp8

Producer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2013
    Woah, not really. SOPA's pretty bad, and I mean really really freaking bad, but there's no need to use that degree of hyperbole to describe how bad it is. That'll make those who are against it no better than those advocating for the passing of this bill because without it, companies and jobs will be lost. What SOPA does is compromise the security of the Internet along with giving policing control to the Entertainment and Content industries to convict anyone for even unintentional copyright infringement without due process of law, while at the same time not stopping the real pirates. It's not the death of the Internet but the downfall of democracy and freedom of expression in favor of corporate interests.

In other SOPA news, essentially, House opposition of the bill tripled while support dropped by only a fourth.

EDIT: Also Megaupload got taken down, despite regularly responding to reports of pirated material (as evidenced by my long nights of being met with broken links). This is what SOPA would do people.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I am pissed. A serious slap in the face after yesterday.

Why not just arrest ALL the Cyber Locker/File Sharing leadership for "breaking copy right laws" while they're at it?

I mean seriously most of these sites follow takedown notices as Kevin pointed out.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • It's due to the poor reporting on the stories reports, but the indictments for them were done on the 5th. Its been in the works for two weeks. Poor timing yes, but not spur of the moment like the stories make it look like.

jpp8

Producer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2013
    Regardless, it shows how SOPA/PIPA would be enacted: sites would be taken down and their webmasters charged for copyrighted links posted on their site by 3rd parties. Even though they policed their links to cut down on as much piracy as possible, this still occurred.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • No, it doesn't. It shows what current laws allow.

Your trying to apply a law that isn't even approved to events that happened due to older laws.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Excuse me you're getting debate in my chit-chat

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    The DCC is mine my proxy cause I own live. ;3