• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why I Bite My Nails? :(

Her

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    I saw what you said in the post and you're damn right for deleting it
    Why I Bite My Nails? :(

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
  • I don't remember ever having to clip my nails, ever, if that puts it into perspective. I've kind of just accepted it. it no longer bothers me. I just Do It.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    My Mom use to do it all the time when I was young to the point where they would bleed. Once the family (cousins) started getting married she quit biting her nails and went and had them done and since then she hasn't done any biting on them but she's always getting them done. Nothing extravagant just look nice.

Years
  • I still bite my nails to this day, but only to trim them when they get long. However, up until I was 19 years old I bit them for pleasure and pretty much did so all my life, to the point where my nails don't grow normal anymore.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • I still bite my nails to this day, but only to trim them when they get long. However, up until I was 19 years old I bit them for pleasure and pretty much did so all my life, to the point where my nails don't grow normal anymore.

I have an issue with everything you just said.

I'm not sure how prices work in America, but I can buy a pair of nail clippers around these parts for $3. These have the dual benefit of cutting your nails evenly and not having you ingest the bacteria from every single thing you touched between the last time you washed your hands and when you decided your nails were getting a little too long.

Secondly, not to judge, but how does one derive pleasure from biting nails? I know it's a surprisingly common occurrence, but how does the feeling of forcibly tearing your nail off your finger give you any satisfaction whatsoever?

Years
  • I have an issue with everything you just said.

I'm not sure how prices work in America, but I can buy a pair of nail clippers around these parts for $3. These have the dual benefit of cutting your nails evenly and not having you ingest the bacteria from every single thing you touched between the last time you washed your hands and when you decided your nails were getting a little too long.

Secondly, not to judge, but how does one derive pleasure from biting nails? I know it's a surprisingly common occurrence, but how does the feeling of forcibly tearing your nail off your finger give you any satisfaction whatsoever?
    Judgmental, aren't you?

Not everybody does things in the same way. I do in fact use nail clippers, but just not all the time. And sometimes it's difficult to break habits as well.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • Picky, aren't you?

Not everybody does things in the same way. I do in fact use nail clippers, but just not all the time. And sometimes it's difficult to break habits as well.

No, I don't necessarily think I'm being picky. I'm forcefully curious and asking questions. If you don't wanna answer them, that's cool.

Lucid

I used to when I was a kid. I stopped by wearing a rubber band around my wrist and whenever I caught myself biting my nails I'd slap the hell outta my hand. pain therapy baby

I've heard this before, apparently they tell you to do the same thing for a bunch of compulsive behaviors.

I've never bitten my nails before tho

£

You're gonna have a bad time.
    Years
  • as a kid I hated having my nails cut so much that I bit my toenails. definitely in a minority there...

these days I have perfectly normal nails and only rarely bite them. very rarely.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • I don't think I ever got in the habit of that, but my oldest brother did. My parents got him to stop by dipping the tips of his fingers in vinegar every morning. You know, if you don't want to paint your nails, haha.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I sometimes tear them if it's easy enough and I don't have nail clippers on hand and they're getting long. But normally I try looking for nail clippers first haha. Especially for my toes.

Years
    • Seen Feb 4, 2016
    I bite my nails all the time. I usually only stop when I'm chewing gum because it keeps me distracted.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • I never had that issue much. I occasionally would bite, but for the most part I never really did it.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I do bite my nails purely by anxiety, that was about 2 years ago when I had full-blown anxiety but today not so much. I do that once in a while today but it's raaaaaare.

Early

☆ My, how the Earth does move... ☆
    Years
  • I don't bite my nails with my teeth, but I do have a bad habit of taking them off by hand whenever they get too long. I don't know why I do it (since it isn't out of anxiety), but I've been meaning to try stopping at some point.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    I have tendencies to bite my nails whenever/wherever I go. People tend to stop me from biting

Saintscrew7

Helpful little Angel
    Years
  • yes i bite my nails. this sounds gross, but i tend to rip my nails completely off. i asked my doctor about it, they told me it's part of my anxiety. idk how to stop it. bandaids aren't helpful >.<

That's true. It's anxiety... I have stoped biting my nails about a week or so. But I got back to it. Some times it hurts so bad... It began whe I stayed awake for days playing Vgames. When I didn't played I chewed the life of my nails. My nails look like the after-war sceene... =/
    How to stop?
    Strong will, good memory, and a lot of friends backing you up.
    It's my day #8 w/o biting. :-D So far so good.

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
    Years
  • That's true. It's anxiety... I have stoped biting my nails about a week or so. But I got back to it. Some times it hurts so bad... It began whe I stayed awake for days playing Vgames. When I didn't played I chewed the life of my nails. My nails look like the after-war sceene... =/
    How to stop?
    Strong will, good memory, and a lot of friends backing you up.
    It's my day #8 w/o biting. :-D So far so good.

i feel like the only way i stop biting my nails is when im on my phone, playing a video game, or typing. congrats on 8 days going without biting! i wish i could do that >.<

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I've bitten my nails since I was small, and probably will never stop. I don't like nail clippers, so I just bite my nails until they bleed. It's a huge problem. :x

Back