• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The NFL Gridiron Football Club - Where Discussions Win You A Lombardi

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
  • The Saints are making me go nuts right now; they've so far released Lance Moore, Will Smith, Jabari Greer, Jonathan Vilma, Roman Harper, and potentially Darren Sproles (he already alluded on Twitter that he's not going to be with the Saints). Some of them I can see getting rid of cause tight cap space, but I'm curious as to what they're going to do with that money now. My guess is that they'll probably keep it open for next year so they can sign Jimmy Graham to a long term deal instead of the franchise tag they put on him this year. Thankfully we have Brees under the helm because like Brady, he can make anyone look good thanks to his expertise.

Years
  • I'm still not sure why the Saints decided to release Sproles, considering he's one of the league's better recieving RBs and kick returners, and was only making $3.5 million. I know that holding onto Jimmy Graham is important for the future of the Saints' offense, but that move, along with Harper, Vilma, Smith and a few others getting cut has me scratching my head.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • Hello everyone, I'm a big NFL fan here and I'd like to get in on this!

Who is your favorite NFL team?
    Philadelphia Eagles

Who is/are your favorite NFL player(s)?
    Nick Foles, Russell Wilson, Giovani Bernard

Who would you like to see in next year's Super Bowl? Winner?
    I'd like to see the Eagles take down the Chiefs in the Super Bowl. Both teams have what it takes, as long as the Chiefs don't blow a 40 point lead again...

The Saints released all of those players?! What do they expect to win with? Sorry, but Brees and Graham can't do it all alone no matter how good they are...

CelticsPhan

Get Poke'd
    Years
  • Favorite Team: One can conclude: The New England Patriots (AKA the 18-1s)

Who is your favorite player(s): The GOAT, Tom Brady. Also, I like DE Chandler Jones for pass-rush abilities.

Who would you like to see win next year's Superb Owl?

Patriots, of course, but I believe the Tome Brady Era has come to an unfortunate end with that playoff loss to Denver. Speaking of Denver, I'd accept another Peyton Manning championship even though I hate his guts.

Winner: San Francisco 49ers. I'm assuming that Seattle gets figured out (Wilson having a bad year will support this) and Denver's defense and running game are a lost cause (Willis McGahee is gone, Champ Bailey is retired, Moreno might not replicate his 2013 season). San Francisco, like Seattle, is going rely heavily on their defense and rushing attack. If either of these fail, then I say the Patriots win to Super Bowl.

Expectation: 11-5 winning AFC East again, reaching the second round of the Playoffs and losing thanks to the terrible defense. If they get riddled with injuries like last year, then there's absolutely no chance.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Welcome to the both of you. I'll go ahead and update the list just to save some work from the owner. :)

Wicked3DS is right. The Saints are beginning to worry me. I have no idea what direction they're heading towards now that we only have to rely on the only two *best* players in the team.

I still can't get over the Broncos winning the championship tbh. It's painful. xD

Moar free agency news, guys. The Jets released a long list of players whom they are interested in taking in. This included Michael Vick, Maurice Jones-Drew. Most of them are rumored, but...who knows? xD The Negotiating period started yesterday, and is going to end...Tuesday iirc?

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
  • Thanks Minerva for the update! (:

The only hope that I have for my team is that the Saints can mimic what the Patriots did last year (I'm also happy to see another fan of the Pats in this club now, eh GucciMeme?). Thanks to the brilliant coaching of Bill Belichik and the experience of Tom Brady, they were able to work with a bunch of rookies and still establish themselves as a threat, making it all the way to the AFC Championship. My hope is that Sean Payton and Rob Ryan can mimic that; although I'm really questioning some of the defensive drops more than the offensive, as the Saint's defense actually got good last year.

The Jets are being very, very sneaky right now. They're an estimated $40 million under the cap space, and it could be even more if they release Sanchez. That being said, there are a lot of interesting moves that the Jets organization can make. Personally, I think they'll go with Michael Vick and then sign a bunch of WR's - Jet's depth at WR at the moment is dismal at best. Could you picture Eric Decker in a Jet's uniform? Man, that would be something.

Years
  • Hmm... less than a day into free agency and the Broncos have already made a big splash on defense, spending up to $110 million signing DeMarcus Ware, T.J. Ward and Aqib Talib. Obviously Elway and co. realize that their Super Bowl window may be closing in a year or two with Peyton Manning's career winding down, so they didn't mind throwing all their chips on the table. Still, Ware and Talib have injury concerns, so hopefully Denver has some backup plans in case either goes down for an extended period of time.

Also, I had a laugh seeing that Cleveland released both Brandon Weeden and Jason Campbell today. Obviously they're going to draft one of Manziel, Bridgewater or Bortles with their 4th overall pick in the draft, but the Browns have had 20 different starting QBs in the 14 seasons since their return to the NFL. Quinn, McCoy and Weeden were all drafted in the past few years to be the Browns QB of the future, and none of them panned out, so I'm surprised they're going for the same approach yet again.

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
  • Brady Quinn wasn't too bad, he actually played pretty well in those few games; it's just a shame he went down with that injury because he's actually from Cleveland and grew up wanting to play for the Browns.

And you are definitely right about the Broncos. I was shocked when I found out they were able to nab all three of those players (as an avid Pats fan as well it's weird seeing another Pats player going to Denver). Talib was our only good player who could stop the pass, so I'm hoping that maybe we can nab Darelle Revis (as much as I hate to say it).

I'm really curious where Steve Smith and Eric Decker are going to be going, as they're probably two of the best WRs on the FA market. I believe I was reading that Eric might possibly go to the Jets, although I don't see why he'd downgrade to that team since he doesn't have someone who can actually throw him the ball.

EDIT: Wow, can't believe I was right with the Revis prediction; Pats just signed him for a 1 year, $12 million deal :3

Last edited:
    Years
  • Even though it's not a position of desperate need, I'd actually love to see Decker here in MN, even though that probably won't happen. He was fantastic as the only guy who could consistently be thrown to while in college here at Minnesota.

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
  • Even though it's not a position of desperate need, I'd actually love to see Decker here in MN, even though that probably won't happen. He was fantastic as the only guy who could consistently be thrown to while in college here at Minnesota.

uh oh

Eric Decker and the Jets actually just finished inking a deal for $36.25 million over 5 years, so looks like he won't be going to Minnesota anytime soon /:

Years
  • uh oh

Eric Decker and the Jets actually just finished inking a deal for $36.25 million over 5 years, so looks like he won't be going to Minnesota anytime soon /:

Figured as much. He wasn't on the local radar as a potential pickup anyway, since we do have a crazy fun to watch weapon in Cordarelle Patterson (who can actually catch the ball very well, I might add) and several decent receivers. We're all pretty much in agreement that defense was the biggest need.

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
  • So this FA has been pretty interesting so far: Darren Sproles has gone to the Eagles, Julius Peppers has gone to the Packers, and how about them Browns huh? Who do you guys think has had the best FA period so far?

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
  • I think I will join this club
    Who is your favorite NFL team?: I hate to admit it but I am a fan of both the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Seattle Seahawks.
    Who is/are your favorite NFL Players?: When it comes to NFL players, I will start with retired first. My favorite retired NFL player is Warren Sapp. As for current players, my favorites are Marshawn "Beast Mode" Lynch, Richard Sherman, and Russell Wilson.
    Who would you like to see in next year's Super Bowl? Winner?: For Super Bowl XLIX, I would like to see Tampa Bay take on Oakland again. Also Tampa Bay wins that one.

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
  • Welcome to the club Judge Mandolore Shepard! I'm at work currently but I'll update you into the member list when I get off!

A Tampa Bay fan huh? I'm suprised by how dismal they performed last year, but this upcoming season seems brighter due to the signing of Lovie Smith. A Tampa Bay-Oakland Super Bowl would be a real shot in the dark, but then again if they both did make it then something stellar must have happened to them which would make for a good headlining story going into it.

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
  • Yeah I honestly didn't understand why they fired him. Yes, it's very concerning that you start the season off 7-1 and then finish 10-6, but I think they needed to look at the real inconsistent problem there (aka Jay Cutler) and not the coach.

Years
  • Yeah I honestly didn't understand why they fired him. Yes, it's very concerning that you start the season off 7-1 and then finish 10-6, but I think they needed to look at the real inconsistent problem there (aka Jay Cutler) and not the coach.

I don't even think Jay Cutler was much of a problem. He's better than people give him credit for at times. I'd rather have him than Ponder as my quarterback.

I do feel the Bears are better off with Trestman as coach offensively, but they wouldn't have been far off of where they were if Lovie were still head coach in Chicago. They might have won the division with Lovie coaching them last season, since their defense might not have been abysmal under him.

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
  • So it' been awhile since anyone's posted, but after revamping the front page a little and doing a little bit of research, looks like a lot more stuff has happened in free agency!

1. Michael Vick being signed by the New York jets; Mark Sanchez being cut and going to Philadelphia
    2. Jared Allen being signed by the Chicago Bears
    3. Vince Wilfork being restructed by the New England Patriots
    4. Lance Moore being signed by the Pittsburgh Steelers
    5. Knowshon Moreno being signed by the Miami Dolphins
    6. Julius Peppers being signed by the Green Bay Packers

Thoughts on any of these actions?

Years
  • Well, I know Bears and Packers fans are extremely excited about 2 and 6, respectively. I think they were okay signings that could have been better. Still probably improvements over what they had, even if they both probably overpaid some.

Back