• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The NFL Gridiron Football Club - Where Discussions Win You A Lombardi

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
  • I must say, leading up to this year's Super Bowl, the Seahawks have tried so hard to get to where they want to. I must give credit to the defense, and Percy Harvin.

elheroeoscuro said:
    Don't even get me started on the Texans. They were probably the biggest surprise flop this season, next to the Falcons. I actually felt really bad for Matt Schaub; I couldn't believe that fans were actually going to his house and heckling him for his bad performances. That's just sad.

I HEARD ABOUT THAT. That's just horrible for the fans to do that. This year I heard the Texans are going to find a rookie QB from the draft even though they are still negotiations that they'll be keeping Schuab.

lol i used to root for the falcons...before michael vick's dogfighting crime was unveiled and that became a turn off.

Years
  • Percy Harvin? He didn't really do much of anything for Seattle in his lone season there so far. Did you mean someone else? Percy's 2013 Stats.

To be perfectly honest, I was rooting for the Cardinals too. Heading into the last week of the season I didn't feel like the Saints deserved to make the playoffs; they had lost their #2 seed to the Panthers - whom I don't think anyone could have predicted would have done that well that year - and by Week 16 I was really just rooting for anyone who could beat the Seahawks. I knew the Saints were going to lose to the Hawks if they had to play them on their turf (surprise, surprise), so I was rooting for the Cardinals because they were shockingly able to do that; beat them on their turf.

Which by the way, don't even get me started on how confused and upset I was with that last play of that NO-SEA playoff game where Marques Colston tried to lateral it all the way across the field. They should have just bombed it down the field, you've got two of the tallest players on your side (i.e. Colston and Graham)

Unfortunately, I don't the Cardinals could have done it again.

That lateral was designed. They were trying mix things up a bit. With Seattle's physically tall shutdown corners, going deep would not have worked.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • Percy Harvin? He didn't really do much of anything for Seattle in his lone season there so far. Did you mean someone else? Percy's 2013 Stats.

Still. There were a few seconds left on the clock when Colston caught it. I still think your chances are better with a pass down deep than a forced lateral.

Percy Harvin is a trooper, but he's going to be really messed up in the long run. Yeah he played in the Super Bowl but I don't think he ever fully recovered from those concussions. He's going to have some serious issues when his career is done.

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
  • I wish I could D:

What do you guys think of the playoff format of the NFL? Do you think they should expand the number of teams that get in? Personally, I think they should set up the playoffs like the NBA where it's the 6 best overall conference teams that make it, not the 2 wild card set up (i.e. if you are 15-1 and you finish second in your division, you shouldn't get the wild card spot but rather the #2 seed)

Years
  • I think the NFL's setup works fine the way it is.

Besides, in the NBA, the three division winners in each conference are still guaranteed a spot in the top 4 seeds. And you only have to look at the last 15 years of winners to see that the guaranteed bye means little in the NFL playoffs.

Years
  • Since 3/8ths of every teams' games are interdivisional, I've got no problem with the current system that's in place. Sure, for teams like the 49ers and Saints this year, it sucks that they lose out on at least one home game despite having better records than the Eagles and Packers, but that's why beating divisional rivals is so important.

Now, I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to an 8-team playoff (#1 & #2 seeds don't get the first week off), but in a game as physically taxing as football, those top two teams should have earned the right to have the week off.

Years
  • Whether that bye is truly advantageous or not is another story, though, given recent history.

Anyway, the new salary cap number is at a record $133 million for 2014. What's your favorite team got for cap space with this record cap?

I know the Vikings have $33 million to spend as they wish since it's likely they won't bring Jared Allen back in any capacity, but that money still needs to go into that putrid defense.

Years
  • I know how you feel about Jared Allen. It was tough to see him walk from the Chiefs when we weren't doing so well, and now he looks to be doing the same with the Vikings.

As for the Chiefs, we've got about $25 million in cap room available, with our only main players heading to Free Agency being Branden Albert, Tyson Jackson and Dexter McCluster. It's still a toss up if Jackson/DMC will be back, but at least we don't have any pressing needs like we have in past years. Ideally, improving the secondary would be a priority, since coverage against deep passes was one of our few weaknesses on defense last year.

Years
  • Well, we actually kinda traded for Jared Allen. He never walked out on KC.

This time, Minnesota actually feels he's not worthy of a $10 million salary that he's likely to demand, and that he's no longer worthy of a starting role, which is one of the things Jared has said is a must for him. Jared has stated he'll retire before he accepts a role less than that of an every down defensive end.

The Chiefs should do everything in their power to reinforce their defense and try to keep it one of the best in the league. That'll be crucial to not slipping next season, since it was the essence of all those wins last season.

Years
  • Should've probably worded it better, but it was more the fact that he was going to refuse to play for us since we didn't offer him a long-term extension. If I recall, we were going to end up suspending him internally for the second year in a row since he didn't want to play, so we ended up trading him for draft picks. Not that I mind, since one of those picks ended up being Jamaal Charles.

And while Jared Allen is still a very good player, he's not quite at the level he was even 2 years ago, so I don't blame the Vikings for not wanting to pay him $10 million a year. I'm sure there's more than a few teams out there hurting for defensive ends that might bite the bullet on him, though.

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
  • Should've probably worded it better, but it was more the fact that he was going to refuse to play for us since we didn't offer him a long-term extension. If I recall, we were going to end up suspending him internally for the second year in a row since he didn't want to play, so we ended up trading him for draft picks. Not that I mind, since one of those picks ended up being Jamaal Charles.

And while Jared Allen is still a very good player, he's not quite at the level he was even 2 years ago, so I don't blame the Vikings for not wanting to pay him $10 million a year. I'm sure there's more than a few teams out there hurting for defensive ends that might bite the bullet on him, though.

A lot of teams would love to have him as a role player for like $2 or $3 mil, but no one will pay.

Wait, he downright refused to play there? That's concerning, but not unexpected.

If Jared Allen doesn't return to the Vikings, which team(s) do you think will try to sign him? Do you think he'll get the money that he thinks he rightfully deserves?

Years
  • I think there's a team desperate for defense who might give him a look, but he's probably not starter tier anymore. Maybe the Jags give him a look to get butts back into the seats there since he's a fun player to watch.

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
  • Thought you'd be interested by this, I was on ESPN earlier and saw that AP tweeted out that he thinks Michael Vick would make the Vikings an instant playoff team. Think the Vikings will go after him thanks to AP's endorsement?

Years
  • Still, even at his age, he's a better option than what you have at QB. If you can get him for a low $$, I think he would be a pretty good fit.

That's questionable. Even with Norv Turner as our OC, I still remember the flop that was our acquisition of Donovan McNabb for the first 6 games of 2011, and both Vick and McNabb are leg it out quarterbacks with decent arms. And McNabb freaking had Percy Harvin to throw to.

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
  • That's questionable. Even with Norv Turner as our OC, I still remember the flop that was our acquisition of Donovan McNabb for the first 6 games of 2011, and both Vick and McNabb are leg it out quarterbacks with decent arms. And McNabb freaking had Percy Harvin to throw to.

Hmm, I forgot about that. And they are about the same age too. Dang, the Vikings are in a real tight pickle this upcoming season.

Back