• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you prefer consoles or computers?

Yukari

I made a thread on this long ago and there was some interesting discussion in it so I thought that I'd bring it back.

So, do you prefer gaming on consoles or computers?

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • I don't have much of a choice in the matter. I own a mac laptop, which as far as I know are not made for gaming. So, the simple answer for me would be consoles. If not them, then handhelds. I play handhelds more than anything, especially my 3DS.

Nathan

Blade of Justice
    Years
  • Consoles. Even though PC has some unique and fun games, it doesn't quite cut it for me. I feel like consoles are more gaming-oriented than PCs. Plus consoles are so much more affordable anyways, they cost around ~$500 while I must expect to shell around the double if I want a computer that can run the latest games at the best settings.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    Consoles. Even though PC has some unique and fun games, it doesn't quite cut it for me. I feel like consoles are more gaming-oriented than PCs. Plus consoles are so much more affordable anyways, they cost around ~$500 while I must expect to shell around the double if I want a computer that can run the latest games at the best settings.
    No. That's not true, if you build a PC yourself, they are around the same price (or you can even do it for less) and are still more powerful than consoles.

As you can already tell, I'm PC on this :). They're cheaper (in terms of both hardware and games), last much longer, have better multiplayer, have much more customizable gaming and can do much more than just gaming.

Years
  • I used to be solely a console person.

As of late though I've been more of a computer person. Not only because of the games I tend to get - because I'll get the computer version of a game if possible instead of a console version, also - but because it just seems easier now than to have to worry about hooking said console up. Or even buying that console in the first place. I mean, I'm at my computer a lot already, it's no problem to just open up a game and start playing on there. :X

I dunno. All I know is that except for my handhelds, any consoles here just...sit and collect dust (lol glorified netflix players), while I play games on my computer.

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
    Years
  • PC. I'd rather do a little work, save money in the long run, and have a great experience than just plug something in, save a few bucks in the short run, and have a decent one.

TY

I think this is mainly going to PC for the sole reason that PC's can be improved on the run. Consoles cannot and that's why they fall behind in the long run. While graphical technologies improve over time they need to reduce it for consoles to get the desired framerate to play on.

Personally I don't prefer the one over the other. Yes PC is far superior with graphics if you have the money to build world's most powerful rig, but consoles are easily accessible, easier to take with you (idk how the hell you would bring a PC+screen with you. They both have their ups and downs and both can be enjoyable.

Zoroark Cutie

The Illusion Fox Skyfarer
    Years
  • I slightly prefer consoles over PCs. I enjoy gaming on both systems, had loads of fun on both, but there are a few stuff that I like about console gaming more than PC. One big reason, I don't have sit up all the time to play a game. I can just lay down on either my bed or a couch and play in my own comfort. I do use a laptop to game (Not the best choice, I know, but it is all that I have to work with.) and while I can just lay down on my bed or couch and play a game on my laptop, it's just not that comfortable. I also prefer a controller over a keyboard and mouse (I know that I can buy a gamepad, but as far as I know, not every game supports it) and I can never remember what action is bound to what key even when I do rebind them.

I still do enjoy PC gaming a lot. Games can basically be kept forever (Especially with something like Steam), you can use mods, customize stuff how you see fit, and there are some games that just play better. But due to my preference in comfort, I just end up liking console gaming just a tad bit more.

Years
  • I don't have much of a choice in the matter. I own a mac laptop, which as far as I know are not made for gaming. So, the simple answer for me would be consoles. If not them, then handhelds. I play handhelds more than anything, especially my 3DS.

Yeah, I tried running different MMORPGs with a Windows partition on my MacBook and that did not work out well. Wanted to smash the computer in from the lag and not being able to enjoy FFXIV to the fullest potential, but it was to be expected.

I've been thinking about building a PC for a couple years now, and probably will eventually get around to doing so. At the moment though, my loyalty lies with consoles simply because I grew up with them and playing with anything other than an actual controller would feel strange. And I understand you can connect them to computers these days, but the experience would just not be the same.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    Consoles for me. I don't know shit about computers so it's not like I could build one or anything. Then there's the whole control scheme. Idk if it's just because I'm so used to console controllers or if keyboard+mouse really just doesn't work for me but playing with a controller feels better to me. But I'm aware that they both have their good points and bad points.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Consoles.
    I don't want to invest into upgrading the HW every year or two. Plus, it's easier to carry Vita-chan than notebook.
    Plus, thanks to Port Station 4, I have access to most indie titles on PC, which are the only titles I would be interested in playing on PC.

Overall, PC doesn't offer me enough J-games for me to care enough.

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    I grew up on consoles; I had only really watched my dad play PC games when I was little and only dipped into PC gaming, myself, a few years ago. And now I absolutely prefer PC and cannot imagine going back to strictly consoles.... but you already knew that, Orph. :P

• You have choices and options. Xbox controller, PS controller, or mouse and keyboard? Couch, bed, or desk? TV or monitor?
    • Speaking of monitors. Dual monitors. In order to multitask, I don't need a second device running and blowing up my electric bill (seeing as we are comparing running a console and likely a computer to just running.. a computer). Skype and chat windows? Second monitor. Walkthrough? Second monitor. The homework you're not doing? Second monitor.
    • PC is cheaper. My Wii U, its 3 games, and a couple controllers cost more than 700+ games on Steam did. Even if you account for the cost of my desktop.. you could never buy 700 console games for that. Even if we took 700 games at only $5 each, that's still a fair bit more than I spent on my desktop and its game collection. Much, much cheaper in the long run.
    • Even the cheapest gaming PCs are more powerful than consoles. That's it, I don't have a follow-up sentence.
    • Also easier to repair and easier to upgrade. That is, assuming you built your own or have a geek friend. Otherwise you're back to paying someone else to do it for you. So not much of a pro anymore...
    • You can mod PC games. Better graphics, new quests, new characters, new cities/towns, so on and so forth.
    • On a PC, you can put in a console command to reset yourself or an NPC if things go ridiculously wrong. Like when your Sim is walking around with a frying pan glued to their hand and they lose the ability to pick up important things, like their baby. Or in [insert Bethesda game here] when a companion is following you, and then they slingshot away and magically die. Console? Gonna have to reload or reset it and hope it goes better next time.
    • All of the multiplayer is better. Local co-op works just as well on the TV with a couple controllers, and most console ports that had local co-op will still have it implemented for PC. In other cases, such as RE5, there's mods for that (see point 6). LAN is great for me and Boyfriend. Online MP is, first and foremost, free. Secondly, it's free. (Seriously, why do you have to pay for it on the Xbone and PS4. I am already paying an internet bill and an electric bill to run it, I shouldn't need to subscribe to your fucking internet service, too).
    • Backward compatibility. And all of the backward compatibility. You can still play DOS games from the god damn 80s, ya know, if Zork is your thing. (nowait, the first Zork predates DOS.. that is irrelevant. Point still stands)

I should have spoilered that. If it's not clear, I vastly prefer PC. :P But like I've said before, I just can't leave Nintendo completely. I love my 3DS and my Wii U. ...I just happen to love my PC more <3

And that said, I don't hate consoles - if you prefer their exclusives, you prefer their exclusives. I love Nintendo's games, meanwhile the other consoles' exclusives either 1) Just don't interest me enough, 2) The one or two I do like just isn't worth the cost of the console, or 3) I'll probably see them on PC eventually anyway.
    Fable and Gears of War, ily.. but xbox.

If you're upgrading hardware every year or two then you're doing it wrong.
    Do you prefer consoles or computers?

^ This. I built mine nearly 4 years ago and it still runs everything on max settings, no problems. You really don't need to upgrade nearly as often as you would think.

pkmin3033

I prefer consoles to computers. I like having the newest thing, and even if my hardware would be good enough for several years to run the latest games, as soon as the newest model came out I would HAVE to have it. Even if I didn't need it. It'd cost me a fortune in upgrades. It's a personality defect that's come from being two generations behind everyone else whilst I was growing up due to lack of funds and not being a spoilt brat...now I have money of my own I like to treat myself. I know myself well enough to know it'd be VERY expensive for me to have a gaming computer or laptop instead of a console; I'd be upgrading every few months instead of every few years. But I digress.

Chances are if I used my laptop for gaming as well that I would never turn the thing off, and the idea of sitting in front of the same screen all day makes me uncomfortable. It might be more convenient not having to move, but...well, I'm not THAT lazy. I grew up with handhelds and consoles, and it's just what I'm used to. I realise there are numerous advantages to having computers for gaming over consoles, but...well, I don't care. I'm happy with what I have, how I do things, and I don't really want to change without damn good cause.

I prefer handhelds to either consoles or computers though, for their accessibility. It's diminished somewhat as things have gotten bigger and smaller respectively, but the simple fact of the matter is that it is still far easier for me to take my 3DS or Vita with me than it is my laptop to play games out and about. I can play my 3DS or Vita anywhere I want to; standing, walking, sitting curled up in a chair or on my bed; anywhere. A computer and console both require a monitor, and a laptop isn't the easiest thing to play walking about. Graphics and screen size and whatever else mean very little to me, so I find handhelds most appealing. I have a Gameboy Micro in my coat pocket and I can just thumb on and play whenever, and I couldn't do that with a laptop or whatever else.

dad

big poppa
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 13, 2018
    consoles. i can't imagine myself playing anything on our family desktop lmao.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • The ease of Netflix and HBO-GO entices me on consoles, but then I remember PS4 games cost R$199,90 a piece and change my mind quickly.

Windows-based PC for now, but, if SteamOS catches on, I can see myself migrating to Linux. Open source FTW.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • As much as I'd like to say I'm balanced, I'm definitely a console person. It's just been that way for me for too long and I just don't see me changing my ways any time soon.

Years
  • I am a little more towards consoles, mainly because my computer is not good enough to run some of the really top notch games I have. Plus Nintendo exclusives.

Back