• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you prefer consoles or computers?

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
    Years
    I do like computers, but I prefer to keep playing games on consoles. It's so comfy chilling on my bed and watching the action unfold halfway across the room. Even better now since 720p/1080p is in full effect for most modern games.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    I'm a console girl.

I've played plenty on PC and I definitely prefer it for a lot of Western RPGs because the console versions are always SO BUGGY and I won't play them without (ironically) the PC console haha... but when I play something on PC, I find it waaay too easy to be distracted. I'll open a game but I cannot concentrate. Sooner or later, I always find myself with the game tabbed out, checking email or twitter or doing something completely unrelated. When I'm playing a console, even if I have my laptop or phone out, I end up so much more immersed. I guess because it's such a dedicated machine, it's harder to get distracted whereas computers are something I associate with multitasking by default.

So yeah, I play more productively on a console and that's why I prefer them.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Consoles. I haven't played on a PC in years, plus most of the games released for the PC aren't really things I'd play myself, being a big Nintendo fan and all. I have an old MacBook too, so even if I wanted to play, well...yeah. :( You see where I'm going with this.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    I'm more used to console controls and games rather than PC. Besides League, the only things I play on PC is a few indie games and deals I get on Steam. If I played something like Counter Strike or Planetside on my computer, I'd have to use a controller.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
    I used to prefer consoles, but as more and more incredible games are being released exclusively on PC, I have gravitated to that platform in the last few years. Particularly because it's becoming standard to support controllers, which are my preferred control method. Some games work better with a Mouse & Keyboard, and I certainly have no problem using them. Modding has always been a draw for me as well, even before I had a great computer I was modding Doom and Half-Life for hours of extra fun.

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
    Years
    i usually prefer consoles. the only games i use to only play on the computer was spiral knights on steam because it was free and the sims. my bf bought me payday 2 and it's able to run on my new computer. so that is my current obsession. i still think i prefer consoles over the pc games.

Years
    Consoles and handhelds for me, if only because I don't trust myself to competently operate a PC at the requisite level to mimic a console (setting up a controller and hooking it up to a TV, etc.)

This is admittedly just not wanting to deal with the learning curve, which probably isn't as bad as it looks from the outside. Still, I appreciate the toylike, plug-in-and-go setup most consoles have. Maybe someday? I know there are a few PC exclusives I'd love to play, but my backlog is stupidly huge already and I don't want another platform for things to pile up on right now.

Eden

Right you are, Ken!
    Years
    With the exception of my 3DS and (occasionally) Wii U, I haven't played any sort of console since I built a PC a couple of years ago. Now I can't see myself ever going back to consoles for my primary source of gaming. The benefits didn't really sink in until I really got into it, and now I feel spoiled rotten.

As mentioned before, I still have Nintendo systems though. Still can't let go of those exclusives altogether.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    Now that PS4 finally started getting games a bit, I can freely say that with Port Station 4 getting pretty much all PC indies I would like to start, I will not need PC ever again =D
    Hey, I remember debating PC v Console with you once :)

I can freely say that I have not, and will not ever need the over-priced, under-powered consoles that are PlayStation and Xbox :D

Early

☆ My, how the Earth does move... ☆
    Years
    Consoles! The only PC games that I really have interest in are Minecraft (to an extent) and Five Nights at Freddy's. I find console gaming a lot more physically comfortable; especially with the controls for the games.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    Consoles! The only PC games that I really have interest in are Minecraft (to an extent) and Five Nights at Freddy's. I find console gaming a lot more physically comfortable; especially with the controls for the games.
    Well it's not like you can't hook up a controller to a PC.

And your TV too :)

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    I can freely say that I have not, and will not ever need the over-priced, under-powered consoles that are PlayStation and Xbox :D
    Over-priced? Um... how exactly?
    Where I live, gaming PCs are 2-3 times price of PS4 and normal PCs (as PC, not notebook) are pretty much 1.5 times the price of PS4.
    If it's different for you, then I kinda understand your PC is better stance.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    Over-priced? Um... how exactly?
    Where I live, gaming PCs are 2-3 times price of PS4 and normal PCs (as PC, not notebook) are pretty much 1.5 times the price of PS4.
    If it's different for you, then I kinda understand your PC is better stance.
    It comes from the fact that the consoles are bad value for money compared to what you can get for a PC of the same price. Plus PC games and servies are much cheaper, and PCs do far, far more than just gaming. Consoles are very watered-down PCs that charge for online and have expensive games.

Generally, in places like Australia or the US, you can build a PC for the same price as a console if you want to, and it will still be more powerful. However, it's usually better to put in a little more than the cost of a console, because then you get an even better PC. (To get a good idea of how the value works out compared to consoles, the PC Master Race subreddit has a good page on different ranged example-builds - have a look at the "Next-Gen Crusher" to see a good example of this)

I feel bad for people who live in countries where it's almost impossible to build a computer cheaply. Someone in Canada once told me that it's really expensive to ship in parts for them, for example.

But there are also people who just don't want to spend the time or effort (there isn't too much behind it anyway) to build a PC themselves. That's fine, but some then go on to say that PCs are overpriced because they can't afford a prebuilt, which are overpriced, when building a PC is not.

I personally haven't even built a PC yet, and I still believe it's the better choice than consoles. I want to do it eventually, but I haven't had the time to get a good plan together.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    It comes from the fact that the consoles are bad value for money compared to what you can get for a PC of the same price. Plus PC games and servies are much cheaper, and PCs do far, far more than just gaming. Consoles are very watered-down PCs that charge for online and have expensive games.

Generally, in places like Australia or the US, you can build a PC for the same price as a console if you want to, and it will still be more powerful. However, it's usually better to put in a little more than the cost of a console, because then you get an even better PC. (To get a good idea of how the value works out compared to consoles, the PC Master Race subreddit has a good page on different ranged example-builds - have a look at the "Next-Gen Crusher" to see a good example of this)

I feel bad for people who live in countries where it's almost impossible to build a computer cheaply. Someone in Canada once told me that it's really expensive to ship in parts for them, for example.

But there are also people who just don't want to spend the time or effort (there isn't too much behind it anyway) to build a PC themselves. That's fine, but some then go on to say that PCs are overpriced because they can't afford a prebuilt, which are overpriced, when building a PC is not.

I personally haven't even built a PC yet, and I still believe it's the better choice than consoles. I want to do it eventually, but I haven't had the time to get a good plan together.
    Oh, in that way. Yea, that's possible.
    In my country, even custom-build PC is still more expensive.
    And I'm obviously biased because I have no interest in PC games =D

Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2016
    Consoles because you don´t have to buy a new graphic card for every new game.
    I also like controller more then a mouse.

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    Consoles because you don´t have to buy a new graphic card for every new game.
    I also like controller more then a mouse.
    A new graphics card for each game? Who said that? That is definitely not true.

And you can use controllers on PC anyway.

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    In my country, even custom-build PC is still more expensive.

Unfortunately. :c
    I tried to ask a friend from Czech Republic to break it down for me, and this is what I got:

3:05 PM - Pandelion: xbox without kinect costs ~9 potato coins. PS4 is about the same. For that price you can get a PC/notebook for "work" i.e. Office, browsing internet etc.
    For ~20 potatoes you can get one to play Witcher 3 on high I would say.
    3:06 PM - Pandelion: from 30 potatoes up it's somewhat a beast machine already
    3:07 PM - Pandelion: (25 potatoes = 1000 bucks)

Although by his standards, he's still talking about $300~ per console and $600~ for a decent gaming rig? I dunno, I get lost when he starts talking about potatoes. Maybe you can explain that better.
    From the sounds of things, though, it's like most anywhere else. Saving up to build a decent rig would still save you in the long run with the cheap PC games you can buy from Brazilians like the rest of us do. Silent Hill: Homecoming, a $40 game that has never dipped below $20 on sale on any other site, was only $1.51 on a Brazilian site. :P Though when I asked him about games costing more over there:

3:23 PM - Pandelion: and btw... I can get The Witcher 3 from an official retailer for as low as 37 bucks retail on PC, 59 bucks for new consoles.

You're biased for Sony, so that doesn't help you anyway, lol.
    But I do find it interesting how much games themselves vary in price, and not even so much between countries, but just between Consoles vs. PC games. In almost any country it seems that PC titles are cheaper, even at release. Even if the initial cost of the desktop is more expensive, the cost of the games in the long run saves you a lot.. At least if they're multi-platform titles or PC-only things you're interested in.

Obviously if all you want are Nintendo exclusives or Sony exclusives, buying a gaming PC would probably be dumb.
    If you want Xbox exclusives.. buying a gaming PC might be a worthwhile investment, with how many "exclusives" get ported to PC anyway. Dead Rising 3 was announced as "Xbone only" but I just got that for PC for $20 a few months ago. lol.

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
    Unfortunately. :c
    I tried to ask a friend from Czech Republic to break it down for me, and this is what I got:

3:05 PM - Pandelion: xbox without kinect costs ~9 potato coins. PS4 is about the same. For that price you can get a PC/notebook for "work" i.e. Office, browsing internet etc.
    For ~20 potatoes you can get one to play Witcher 3 on high I would say.
    3:06 PM - Pandelion: from 30 potatoes up it's somewhat a beast machine already
    3:07 PM - Pandelion: (25 potatoes = 1000 bucks)

Although by his standards, he's still talking about $300~ per console and $600~ for a decent gaming rig? I dunno, I get lost when he starts talking about potatoes. Maybe you can explain that better.
    From the sounds of things, though, it's like most anywhere else. Saving up to build a decent rig would still save you in the long run with the cheap PC games you can buy from Brazilians like the rest of us do. Silent Hill: Homecoming, a $40 game that has never dipped below $20 on sale on any other site, was only $1.51 on a Brazilian site. :P Though when I asked him about games costing more over there:

3:23 PM - Pandelion: and btw... I can get The Witcher 3 from an official retailer for as low as 37 bucks retail on PC, 59 bucks for new consoles.

You're biased for Sony, so that doesn't help you anyway, lol.
    But I do find it interesting how much games themselves vary in price, and not even so much between countries, but just between Consoles vs. PC games. In almost any country it seems that PC titles are cheaper, even at release. Even if the initial cost of the desktop is more expensive, the cost of the games in the long run saves you a lot.. At least if they're multi-platform titles or PC-only things you're interested in.

Obviously if all you want are Nintendo exclusives or Sony exclusives, buying a gaming PC would probably be dumb.
    If you want Xbox exclusives.. buying a gaming PC might be a worthwhile investment, with how many "exclusives" get ported to PC anyway. Dead Rising 3 was announced as "Xbone only" but I just got that for PC for $20 a few months ago. lol.

While it is true that certain games that originally exclusive to the Xbox systems do get ported to PC, it is also true that not all of them do. Take the Saints Row series of games for example, the only way to play from Saints Row to Saints Row IV is by playing on Xbox 360. This is because it was not until Saints Row 2 that the series was no longer exclusive to Xbox 360.

Back