• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Silver hack: Pokémon Dark Energy - Beta 5 Released

Zef

zef
Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    in greenwood, theres a gate where you use a key to get the HM fly
    if you select 'no' when it prompts you to open the gate it crashes hard

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
    Years
  • in greenwood, theres a gate where you use a key to get the HM fly
    if you select 'no' when it prompts you to open the gate it crashes hard
    Oh right... that's in Milky Village btw.
    Anyway, someone else told me about this bug earlier too and I didn't remember to upload a new version just to fix that. Probably should though since it is a useful update.

Zef

zef
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    oh right, milky village
    my bad, i played this a few days ago so i forgot

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2019
    Would LOVE to see a Fire red hack version of this, or better yet a soulsilver hack would be amazing hehehe

Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2022
    Forcing us to lose against Isaac (or whatever he is called) is kind of mean when you lose half your money doing it. Can you make it so you do not lose money when he whoops your ass, OR stop him from having a ridiculously powerful team?

Years
    • Seen Jan 31, 2016
    In my opinion miksy, I believe you shouldn't change any of the essential attributes that differentiate this game from the rest of the hacks, such as keeping the pokemon up to generation 2 (giving it a classic feel), and the much higher number of gyms. If it's not broke, why bother fixing it, right?

miksy91

Years
  • Hello miksy91, why is the Dark Cave / Ice Patch theme not used? Did you replace it?
    I haven't replaced any of the songs but I just haven't had any use for it. I may use it later though.

Would LOVE to see a Fire red hack version of this, or better yet a soulsilver hack would be amazing hehehe
    Sorry, that's not going to happen I'm afraid...
    But the hack should be really fun the way it is - even though we have Gameboy graphics :)

Forcing us to lose against Isaac (or whatever he is called) is kind of mean when you lose half your money doing it. Can you make it so you do not lose money when he whoops your ass, OR stop him from having a ridiculously powerful team?
    I have hacked the asm routine that takes half of your money every time you lose a battle. In DE, you lose only 1/8 or 1/16 of your money when you black out if I remember correctly.
    When you lose against Isaac's "second phase", you won't black out because you will continue playing in his gym after the battle. Thus you won't lose any money at all.

You receive a little bit of money by beating his "first phase" though and I may have made it so that you lose the same amount of money you gain by beating his first phase if you lose against his second phase.
    This makes it work so that you can't just challenge him over and over again to get more money,
    I remember implementing it like this but can't remember if I changed it later on to not take that gained money back if you lose against his second phase.

I might be wrong about this but I have beta-tested the game very throughly and this is how it should work.

In my opinion miksy, I believe you shouldn't change any of the essential attributes that differentiate this game from the rest of the hacks, such as keeping the pokemon up to generation 2 (giving it a classic feel), and the much higher number of gyms. If it's not broke, why bother fixing it, right?
    You're right. :)
    Besides, it's pretty much waste of time changing original functionality that doesn't have to be changed if I don't want to do that to achieve some radical changes that make sense for having there.

Last edited:
    Years
  • One of the best ever gen 2 hacks I've ever played the story is amazing and sometimes while confusing it's to be expeccted in a rpg like hack some of the trolls were very good such as the red sage where he gives you a potion and zapdos was an absolute bitch.
    The magikarp quest was really amusing so how do you evolve magikarp using a water stone and will super onix evolve too????
    and most importantly there were no bugs whatsoever in this hack.
    So keep it up and give an update soon btw what about jin and the aerodactyl in yellow town.
    And about isaac why did I lose my money even when I defeated his lv 37 steelix curse+ leech seed+pzn powder for the win

Years
    • Seen Sep 30, 2020
    I haven't replaced any of the songs but I just haven't had any use for it. I may use it later though.

Sorry, that's not going to happen I'm afraid...
    But the hack should be really fun the way it is - even though we have Gameboy graphics :)

I have hacked the asm routine that takes half of your money every time you lose a battle. In DE, you lose only 1/8 or 1/16 of your money when you black out if I remember correctly.
    When you lose against Isaac's "second phase", you won't black out because you will continue playing in his gym after the battle. Thus you won't lose any money at all.

You receive a little bit of money by beating his "first phase" though and I may have made it so that you lose the same amount of money you gain by beating his first phase if you lose against his second phase.
    This makes it work so that you can't just challenge him over and over again to get more money,
    I remember implementing it like this but can't remember if I changed it later on to not take that gained money back if you lose against his second phase.

I might be wrong about this but I have beta-tested the game very throughly and this is how it should work.

You're right. :)
    Besides, it's pretty much waste of time changing original functionality that doesn't have to be changed if I don't want to do that to achieve some radical changes that make sense for having there.

That, and you're going to be obligated to keep updating forever to "stay with the times," like if you did sixth gen, you would probably have to make adjustments to seventh gen, and later, eight gen, and so on and so forth. It's really best to keep it with it's own functionality.

Is there like a percentage for the game's completion, similar to the completion percentages to the TFS episodes? I am still curious about Dark Energy's plot...

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2015
    Are emulator save files of different versions compatible?

I have started playing Beta 4.1 and I do like it a lot, but I fear to waste my time training a team and going through all the hassle; and when the next Beta or the final version is out I have to start it all over again, knowing what's going to happen. While it is an excellent piece of work, it is too time-consuming for me to play every future realase from the beginning anew. A reason why I started playing it is that I want to experience a classic Pokémon game without knowing what's going to happen, and obviously that excitement won't be there if I have to start from the beginning again.

So will future versions accept the save state of the current Beta, or should I drop it and wait for the final? Can I somehow transfer my data? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I am neither a regular GBA emulator user nor a programmer.

CJoE

スマイルは無料で? ?? �� �� ��
    Years
  • The number of gym really suprise me yet interesting. Good storylines and keep the good work. :D Kambate~

miksy91

Years
  • One of the best ever gen 2 hacks I've ever played the story is amazing and sometimes while confusing it's to be expeccted in a rpg like hack some of the trolls were very good such as the red sage where he gives you a potion and zapdos was an absolute rattata.
    The magikarp quest was really amusing so how do you evolve magikarp using a water stone and will super onix evolve too????
    and most importantly there were no bugs whatsoever in this hack.
    So keep it up and give an update soon btw what about jin and the aerodactyl in yellow town.
    And about isaac why did I lose my money even when I defeated his lv 37 steelix curse+ leech seed+pzn powder for the win
    Thank you :)

I made the Magikarp quest so that you're supposed to use Exp. Share received from one of the sages in Grand Tower to level it up. I may include another/more Exp. Shares later on to be obtained.
    The reason it evolves to Gyarados with a Water Stone is that you can't hold both Everstone and Exp. Share (unless I created an item that combines both of their effcts or something...). And you want to use Exp. Share for leveling it up and thus each time it gains a level, after a battle you would have to stop its evolution. And what fun would it be if you accidentally didn't.. So yeah, that's just for convenience.

Super Onix won't evolve.

Jin plays a bigger role in the game later on. And that Aerodactyl thingy you saw in "a place not shown in town map" was just something I made for fun.

I checked that Isaac's script works. If you lose against his first stage, you black out and lose money just like you normally would. But if you lose against his second stage, you won't black out, and won't lose money.

That, and you're going to be obligated to keep updating forever to "stay with the times," like if you did sixth gen, you would probably have to make adjustments to seventh gen, and later, eight gen, and so on and so forth. It's really best to keep it with it's own functionality.

Is there like a percentage for the game's completion, similar to the completion percentages to the TFS episodes? I am still curious about Dark Energy's plot...
    Sorry for not replying in so long time, feel like should have contacted you earlier.

Anyway, I'd say that the hack is around 60-70% done. It's hard to estimate any better than that.

Spoiler:
    Yeah, I think you're right here :)
    I have never paid attention to AI that much but just from playtesting experience as well, I have noticed what kind of opponents are difficult to beat and what not. Explosion usage with boss AI was something new (that I probably won't remember if I sometimes think about giving an opponent explosion move :P).

Are emulator save files of different versions compatible?

I have started playing Beta 4.1 and I do like it a lot, but I fear to waste my time training a team and going through all the hassle; and when the next Beta or the final version is out I have to start it all over again, knowing what's going to happen. While it is an excellent piece of work, it is too time-consuming for me to play every future realase from the beginning anew. A reason why I started playing it is that I want to experience a classic Pokémon game without knowing what's going to happen, and obviously that excitement won't be there if I have to start from the beginning again.

So will future versions accept the save state of the current Beta, or should I drop it and wait for the final? Can I somehow transfer my data? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I am neither a regular GBA emulator user nor a programmer.
    I had to edit a thing or two about how beta 4 ended in terms of what to store in ram and where... If you are playing with VBA on computer, you could hack your save file with Memory Viewer by editing a few bytes. That way beta 5 could be well compatible with beta 4.1. save.
    I should be able to arrange this through some additional scripting as well which would make it so that beta 4.1. players could use their save for beta 5 without hacking ram with Memory Viewer themselves though. And I actually just wrote this idea down because it's definitely worth implementing! :)

Anyway, it's going to take a long time for beta 5 to be up. And much longer for the final version.. So you might even like to start again sometime later if you are still into pokemon gen II then - at least, sort of.

P.S
    You should make a backup save file before doing the sidequests (if you haven't finished the beta totally already) since you may get overleveled pretty quickly by completing them and the rest of the game can be somewhat boring by being able to handle any opponent easily.

The number of gym really suprise me yet interesting. Good storylines and keep the good work. :D Kambate~
    I actually changed the number of gyms to 8 because I didn't find use for any more than that. Well maybe... might include another one later on but I don't think I will.
    Thank you! :)

What comes to updates about progress, I have gotten a lot of stuff done today. So if you thought the hack was gone for good, that's not the case :) It's just hard to find time for hacking with so many other things to do too. But I'll try to get this project going for real now - at least, I feel sort of motivated in doing so.

Years
  • Thank you :)

I made the Magikarp quest so that you're supposed to use Exp. Share received from one of the sages in Grand Tower to level it up. I may include another/more Exp. Shares later on to be obtained.
    The reason it evolves to Gyarados with a Water Stone is that you can't hold both Everstone and Exp. Share (unless I created an item that combines both of their effcts or something...). And you want to use Exp. Share for leveling it up and thus each time it gains a level, after a battle you would have to stop its evolution. And what fun would it be if you accidentally didn't.. So yeah, that's just for convenience.

Super Onix won't evolve.

Jin plays a bigger role in the game later on. And that Aerodactyl thingy you saw in "a place not shown in town map" was just something I made for fun.

I checked that Isaac's script works. If you lose against his first stage, you black out and lose money just like you normally would. But if you lose against his second stage, you won't black out, and won't lose money.

Well a reply after 2 months np.....the thing is you atleast replied unlike some hackers like the one who made liquid crystal well what I meant to say is that the first time I defeated isaac I lost my money and there was a blank screen which said you were not supposed to defeat him... at this point you could have somewhat made a different route for anyone who defeated isaac the first time or you could have introduced isaac's boss where he would have mollywhopped the player so thatblank screen was somewhat a turn off you know just like chrono trigger where we are able to defeat lavos the first time if you know what I mean

miksy91

Years
  • Well a reply after 2 months np.....the thing is you atleast replied unlike some hackers like the one who made liquid crystal well what I meant to say is that the first time I defeated isaac I lost my money and there was a blank screen which said you were not supposed to defeat him... at this point you could have somewhat made a different route for anyone who defeated isaac the first time or you could have introduced isaac's boss where he would have mollywhopped the player so thatblank screen was somewhat a turn off you know just like chrono trigger where we are able to defeat lavos the first time if you know what I mean
    Sorry for not replying earlier. I seriously could have..

Anyway, are you sure you don't just remember wrong? I just double-checked the script code attached to him and if you lose against his first phase, you will just blackout without him saying anything. If you win his first phase, he'll say something about "starting the real thing" and if you win now, you have defeated him for good, and if not, you won't black out and he tells you to come back to challenge him later "when you actually have a chance to win".

Of course, if you happen to lose against his first phase sometime later after trying to re-challenge him after having defeated the first phase sometime before, you will black out normally and lose money while at it.

Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2023
    I am worried that you will abandoned this Hack just like you abandoned all the others you did, hope I am wrong, I know I repeated this many times but this is the best Hack as well as the best Pokémon game out there.

miksy91

Years
  • I am worried that you will abandoned this Hack just like you abandoned all the others you did, hope I am wrong, I know I repeated this many times but this is the best Hack as well as the best Pokémon game out there.
    I'm working on this hack now a lot more than before actually so as of now, doesn't look like that's going to happen :)
    Might even upload a small teaser video of some event sometime soon.

And I haven't abandon that many hacks - I used to create map & trainer edit hacks of pokemon crystal in 2008-2010.

Back