• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Would you ever want to be a mod?

Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    For those of you who are regular members:
    Would you ever want to be a mod on PC? What section would you like to mod if you did become one?

For those already on staff:
    Did you ever want to or think of becoming a staff prior to promotion?

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • You can get a blog by other means.

I wanted to get modded back in 2008. Felt like I could do a decent job of modding the Video Games (Other Games at that time) and the current mod had just left. 2010, I wanted my position back. 2014, didn't really intend to get modded - but it happened. Then I just wanted to do a good job for my area and the forums and got smod. :)

Sirfetch’d

Back in 2013 I really thought that I wanted to be a moderator so I became a Chit Chat Cafe regular and eventually got promoted. It didn't last long though because I resigned due to the fact that life was dragging me down. Last year I was asked back on the staff team and happily accepted. ^_^

Universe

all-consuming
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    being a moderator was something i'd wanted on and off for an embarrassingly long time (years) here on big ol' PC. i was asked to be on the team last year.. i believe on the same day as Chase, actually. :P

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • For those of you who are regular members:
    Would you ever want to be a mod on PC? What section would you like to mod if you did become one?

For those already on staff:
    Did you ever want to or think of becoming a staff prior to promotion?
    With a username like that I'd mod you straight away

My early days here (a la 2009-10) I really wanted to be a mod, yeah. The main reason was because the staff team back then was so cliquey. I really wanted to be part of the "cool group." I don't think there's anything wrong with that, but I was definitely the biggest noob back then. I was your typical twelve-thriteen year old haha. Around the time I get did modded though, my interest had already well and truly faded and I just posted around for the fun of it. Nowadays being a mod for three years, I can definitely say it's been great. It hasn't all been sunshine and daises - there's been times where I've lost motivation or clashed with other members of staff in discussions (as you do), but overall it's been fun.

...And it still is, which is the main thing!

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • Nope.

I've never been a mod at PC and I don't really ever want to - though apparently people think I have been on staff before for some reason lol. It's not PC, it's the bad experiences I've had within other forums I've staffed. Having been staff before on other medium to large forums has always consisted of some large form of drama which always became an extra bit of unnecessary stress.

If I ever did become one though the only places I'd ever want to mod would be A&D and A&M, but I don't think I could ever live up to Fairy, Aiden and Chikara the way they handle their forums. I love keeping the sections I'm in active, but I'm more happier and more motivated as a normal member than when I'm on staff.

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Before I became a staff member years and years ago, I wanted to be a mod more than anything. Threw my everything into being hired, became a mod, and it was actually really great. Lots of fun, good experience. Fast forward to being promoted to s-mod and I soon realized what a useless deadweight I was compared to other staff members, and how much being on the staff changed the way I experienced PC and how some of the members behaved towards me. Went back to being a member like 5 years ago and never looked back because there are more capable hands than my own when it comes to leading forums.

I realized that I love being a member and would honestly never want to be modded again-- not even for the sections I was originally modded for. I would just bring them down, really, and I acknowledge that fact haha!

Years
  • I would never be a mod. Even if someone asks, I'll refuse. I wonder if anyone actually wants to be a mod. It takes a lot of time, not fun, and it's free, that's like the worst thing that ever happened to me.

P.S. I guess mods are the only ones here who want to be mods.

Aurora

seven years here and i finally figure out how to d
    Years
  • My experience of moderating things has almost always been pleasant. There have been some times I have gotten frustrated and left, but I attribute that to the weird age I was when I attained my moderating positions (I was 14 when I first got server mods on PokeCommunity and Smogon). Now that I have grown older and wiser, I realise that quitting and making a general idiot of yourself to make a point is not how problems are solved; instead, rational and diplomatic discourse is required.

With this being said, I would not mind being a moderator of PokeCommunity (or anywhere I involve myself, really) if the opportunity were to arise. I like playing a role in the development of policy and helping out in general. I love moderating both the servers I moderate and I can't see why the PokeCommunity forums would be an exception.

Years
  • It's great to be a mod but your time should be more on pc with all those events and things coming on and luckily pc mods i don't know about past since i wasn't a member but here the community is quite good, caring and not so many flames while in others it's find one person and talk to pm with him/her because the remaining is bad (wanted to say ''sucks'' but it's not good there some people who are younger here ^^). I think pokecommunity is one of the best if not the best because i don't have much experience sites/forum when it comes to pokemon :)

pkmin3033

I've never really given it serious consideration...I mean, should I have? I've never much seen the need to. I've had moments where I've thought "yeah, it'd be fun to be a mod of video games" or "god no, I couldn't handle this at all" but those have mostly been in reaction to things, both on the forum and off it.

Thinking about it now...I guess it could be an interesting experience. I mean, I've modded forums before and it's done wonders for both my confidence and my social circle, in that they've both gotten bigger. It's easier to approach people when you're in a position of authority, and people are more inclined to approach you too most of the time. I enjoy coming on PC, but I'm not attached to it in the same way I have been to forums in the past; maybe I'd be more invested in the place if I was a mod...or maybe not. Who knows.

...but then I think about it, and there isn't really much difference between being a member here and being a mod, at least not from my perspective. I've outgrown my socially awkward teenage phase (well, mostly) and I chat to a few people here on a regular-ish basis; I'm content with that. If I want to help organise things or run events, I can do that without being a mod. If I have an idea I think would be good for the forum but can't implement it...well, there's a Suggestions board I can post it on; I don't need to be a mod to have an impact on the community and make my ideas be heard. There...isn't really much else. Except for the hidden Staff Board, but you know what they say...out of sight, out of mind.

But I'm probably not mod material personality-wise at least, so even if I was desperate to be a mod it'd probably be totally irrelevant, haha.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    Back in 2007, I wanted to become a moderator a great deal. The memberbase was different then, and it felt like this huge prestigious honor to be granted with that title. I think it was more of the title and the recognition than anything else that drew me into it. I wanted to be part of the inside circle that was PC staff. Especially since most of my friends, since I joined the forums, were slowly getting promoted and I could no longer speak to them like I used to be able to.

When it happened, I was elated. A few months passed, and I started wanting to become a super moderator. But my desire to become a super moderator came from a different part of me. I wanted to actually influence and contribute to what makes PC PC. I wanted to help make it better. I wanted changes that I felt were necessary to occur. I had a voice and an opinion that I felt would really be put to good use. More importantly, I had ideas. And during my time as a super moderator, I think I fulfilled that purpose a great deal. I thrived in HQ. It was my favorite forum. I saw myself as the people's voice, and I really think I was. I would always see how members thought of ideas before I ever brought them up for vote. I would do my best to fill the shoes that I made for myself in representing the member base, rather than the staff, like some of the other higher staff seemed to do. I lived off of the high during my PC time of being promotion to higher staff for two years. That's a long time to still be on a high from being promoted. When I could no longer fulfill that purpose and the role as I thought it should be filled, I did what was right and stepped down from my position.

Then I missed the title and the orange name, and I wanted to come back. So I asked for my position back, and the higher staff - almost all entirely new, bar the admins - granted me my position back. And it just wasn't the same. While I cared for PC and really enjoyed being here (despite my occasional to somewhat frequent complaints about it), I no longer felt like I fulfilled the role that was given to me. I passed on everything, and was a token vote for any change without any thought or reasoning. I realized this, and after a while, I decided to resign.

Thinking back, it makes me really disappointed in myself, because once upon a time, there was a part of me that lived for that kind of discussions and responsibility and accessing that kind of thought pattern that makes critical decisions. And during that time, at least my online life was really, really solid. I really dropped the bar, and let a lot of people down who stood up for me coming back who was there with me during my first tenure on higher staff.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Did you guys know that the word mod means courage in Swedish? c:
    I'd want to moderate the Staff Hangout. That'd take some real courage.

Honestly, I don't even remember what I was thinking those times before my moddings. I guess I thought it'd be neat back in 2011? But I was still surprised iirc. In 2013, I wanted it but I got a different section than I expected haha, but it was a really great experience to work with a more "normal" section than the roleplay corner. And in 2014 I badly wanted to become a roleplay mod again, and was allowed to <3 Forever grateful.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I remember the last time I posted in this kind of thread.....I was modded about a month later lol

My post in that thread was something like "yeah I'd like to be a moderator someday but why would anyone want me to be one"

maybe a month from now I'll be promoted to smod?

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2018
    I don't want to be a mod. Other people can handle dealing with it. I can help people in other ways instead.

Back