• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Would you ever want to be a mod?

Years
  • I never exactly hungered for the job as mod, but I always liked the idea of being able to contribute to PC behind the scenes since it's so special to me. Eventually I actually did get modded and I've never looked back. I love modding my sections and contributing to the community and I'm glad I got to know the other staff members through modding too.

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2018
    I kinda wanted it because I just have an attitude of doing things by myself, when I know that something needs fixing, but, if somebody pays attention to what I have to say, it's kinda the same.

Yeah, I agree, I hate having to rely on other people. I am the one who knows what I want exactly how I want it, and other people can't be relied upon as often as I wish they could be.
    Like when I have to do something with someone else, I want to be doing everything by myself so I know it's done right, rather than hope the other person will do it right. See what I mean?

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Back in 07 I really wanted to be a mod. I thought it would be super cool. The steel blue name is pretty attractive. And as some have mentioned, the mods at the time were super cliquey, but in a nice way. You wanted to be their friend, for sure. And most of them were (and are) very nice.

Then I got modded and that was a ton of fun. It was cool that something I had dreamed about came true. But, my particular forum Mixed Community Groups (RIP) was mostly law-abiding posters, save for some spammy posts. So in my personal opinion, being a mod was more of a chore than anything.

Then I kinda got sick of it, decided to go down with a little fun and spammed the admins a bit. They didn't like that too much, and I can understand. But it was all in good fun. No harm done.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I never really wanted to be a mod, for both times...in 2011 and again in 2014 (both forums and battle server). I figured I would try to contribute to my frequented sections as normal, but then again....it just happened. xD

I'm a retired mod now, so it's less likely I'll be on staff again. Real life is more important to me. However, I do miss those days of leadership and contributions and helping those in need. Helping members was the one thing I loved the most of being staff on PC.

Not everyone gets the chance to become a moderator of one of the biggest Pokemon forums on the internet. So if you become one, consider yourself lucky...however, don't get too carried away with your title. Remember how you earned it in the first place.

I'd mod the Welcome Lounge again if I was offered the 3rd time, but I think Shawn is handling it just fine in that section. :)

Years
  • I have never been staff in my five years here, even if my postcount would suggest it, but I always feel like I don't have the capabilities to be a successful mod or because the sections I like are currently being handled by someone way better at the job (looking at you, Shawn) and would be unlikely to change leaders for a very long time.

If I ever do become a mod, I'd just label it a stroke of luck, but I'd more likely turn the position down than accept it. It's because I know that I'm lacking something that most staff have, and I believe that was to blame for my failed SMT attempt.

But even if I were to want a position on staff, I'd rather be a SMT than a forum mod or BSS. I feel like I have the skills to scout threads for social media promotion, and I hope my next attempt to get in ends on a better result.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Nah I dont think Ive ever been interested in being a mod on any site, seems like something that would take up a lot of your time and I dont think i'd be very good at it.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Pleasing people isn't really my strong suit; that counts for both staff and non-staff equally.

Would I be capable of doing a good job as a mod? I'd say yes. If I had to choose, it'd probably take either BTB or C&T. The first one I'm fairly active in and the second one is pretty dead (though, that seems to be tradition at this point).

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • I guess I sorta did want to, in an indirect sort of way. I've always been really impressed by how well the mods+higher did their job and how much they contributed on behalf of the forum I enjoyed so much. So it always encouraged me to try and do the same--try and make the forum a better place in ways both large and small rather than simply posting, try to help other people have fun here rather than just focusing on enjoying my own self, thinking about whether or not each post I made or idea I came up with actually contributed something positive. I viewed those as being the responsibilities of a mod, so it always struck me as a great position to have, but I also recognized that I didn't have to be a mod to do any of that--in fact, I actually liked making contributions and helping people out without also having the responsibility of doing so.

Now that I actually am a mod though, I really do enjoy being part of the team and I hope to remain on staff for a long time :) I've made so many new friends on staff and it feels like a big happy family with common goals and interests keeping us together.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I'd want to because I'd feel more like I'm able to help people and communicate better with them. That said I know I have a next to nothing chance and that doesn't bother me. I like it here anyway.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    Only if I were more invested in this place and knew the community frontwards and backwards. Otherwise, I find myself rather ill-suited for the position.

I was a mod once on a massive forum like this one, and whilst it burned me out due to certain circumstances with the higher management, I feel I have the current temperament and motivation if it is a place I am really passionate about. This is because of my desire to be needed and fulfill some kind of purpose that others can appreciate. I would love to do that again, but only if I was truly invested.

Also, I'd pretty much mod any section that was required of me. I have no preference, as long as it's not something I don't care about at all. (Like Mafia)

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
    Years
  • In the past, joining staff only sounded "pretty neat" to me, but I never actually considered it until several weeks after taking charge of Squirrel's "Who's That Pokémon" contest. I guess I started feeling like a burden to the staff, as I always had to pester staff members with an identical message every single week to help do my chores for me (like handing out emblems and sticking threads). I dunno, it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth when I'm getting people to continuously do things for me and I can't do anything back for them, you know? And on top of that, the WTP contest has an indefinitely long duration (like, it's still running today), so my "thank you" messages sounded like they were getting increasingly stale, when in fact I was actually more and more grateful each time. :/

It's true that I could have just given up on WTP, but there's no way I could bring myself to do that after everything Squirrel has done for me. (Not to mention I still had tons of fun making puzzles and communicating with the participants! :D)

try to help other people have fun here rather than just focusing on enjoying my own self

I also began to pick up this mentality in PokéTrivia some time after Squirrel left the staff. I used to play at PokéTrivia solely because it was fun — in other words, it was for self-satisfaction. I thought Squirrel and the rest of our group would always be there, but once our group started fading out, I realized that I took everyone (especially Squirrel) for granted. I realized that nothing lasts forever, and that I too would eventually fade off from PokéTrivia. That's why I started cherishing active newcomers in the section, because even though I would never be able to re-live all those fun memories, I at least hoped that the regulars of the future could have the same kind of fun that #TeamTrivia had. (And who knows, maybe I was also unconsciously waiting for a "Squirrel 2.0" to show up.)

And now that I am on staff, I'll do my best to live up to the vision I have for the Pokémon Trivia section. I honestly don't think I'm nearly as capable as other staff members, nor do I know how long I'll last on staff, but at the very least I want to build some kind of foundation for my successors to pick up from. I know for a fact that I will never be able to recreate what Squirrel did for our section, so my main goal as moderator is to find a new, unique way to make Pokémon Trivia a place that we can all be proud of. A place that a bunch of random strangers could become a close group of friends, just like our group. A place that we can come back to after a few years and still have fun... that kind of cheesy stuff. xD

polymorphism

[SPAN="color: #91D1FF; font-family: Noto Serif JP;
    Years
  • Did you guys know that the word mod means courage in Swedish? c:
    yep c:

I'd only want to be a mod for the sake of having a fancier username. That's it. I'd be a ****ing terrible mod.
    yep c:

I suppose I wouldn't really mind being a moderator. Although I'm not sure if Staralfur would look good, I think I'd need a new username; maybe something like Panda c: . I've been on fairly well sized forums as a moderator for several PokeTubers and I felt like I did a good job and was a positive influence? To be honest the best part about being a mod is just being one of the people that new people can come to and ask questions to. I really enjoyed when someone I knew nothing about would ask me questions and I loved helping them.

That being said though I'm not sure how much I'd like staff if it wasn't a group similar to a family. I really enjoy it when all the staff members are really close to each other.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • Promotion honestly never crossed my mind. I was just interested in getting involved in the community and anything else was just me going with the flow. Honestly, I can say it made sense why I was modded and I'm glad it happened, but it never really mattered whether or not I did in the first place.

Reactions: Sun

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • I think when I first back in 2010 I really wanted to be a mod, but I was an idiotic little kid and stood no chance of ever getting modded. That didn't stop me from asking though.
    These days I think I'd enjoy being a mod, but it's not really a big deal and I'm not sure what section I could even get modded in.
    But damn, Rainbow looks stylin'.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • As for how my name would look in mod colors... Karnavaly ...Not very appealing. Looks kind of eh, if you ask me.

I'm a more of an all around type member, and go to all the sections on the forum, so I wouldn't really be a good mod, lol. I just randomly post threads in a section I think could use some juice.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I wanted to get modded during my early days here on PC, but that fire inside has been gone for long already, haha.

I have other priorities in real life and I simply wanna be happy. (: But I would reconsider if I'm getting paid for working as a mod. JKJK

Back