• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Game Development Daily Chit Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Welcome to the Game Development Daily Chit Chat!

This place is for any kind of discussion and conversation, even stuff that isn't about creating games/mods. Anything is allowed, so long as you follow the global forum rules.

Post freely!

Maruno

Years
Some people have expressed a desire to conduct interviews with other members of Game Dev. By all means, go ahead! You can do as many interviews as you want, with whoever you want and however you want. Post the results in this thread, and let's see what everyone's talking about!

Helpful hints:
  • Make sure both the interviewer and interviewee actually agree to do the interview!
  • Interviews come in all shapes and sizes, and there are plenty of ways to conduct them. PMs, Skype messaging, voice chat, talking while playing a game together, etc. etc. Pick one that's convenient and possible for both people.
  • You could have a group interview, with multiple interviewers and/or interviewees. Or you could have a tag interview, where you ask each other questions in turn.
  • Try not to spend the whole interview talking about a game someone is making. Remember that you're talking to a person here; ask them about themselves as well!
  • So long as it's two or more Game Dev members talking, it's prime material for this thread.

Last edited:

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
What are everyone's plans for Easter? I'm ignorant of other cultures and assume everyone celebrates it in their countries, if you in fat do not celebrate it, do you do anything similar?

Last edited by a moderator:

Maruno

Years
All I do for Easter is get some chocolate eggs and eat them. I don't do any religious stuff.

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
Oh interesting, I usually do something with my family, like have a fancy dinner or something. Iunno what I'm doing this time though..
I'm also fond of the reesees peanut butter eggs :P

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
Well Happy Easter everyone, I hope you all have a nice day, and spend time with your family and enjoy your chocolate.

Bowlstir

Media Arts and Game Development
Years
I like this. Chit chatting is essential (heh) to get to know how people operate here.

I just wanna say thanks to Maruno and those who take interest in our games.

Hope Easter is well for all.

Zeak6464

Zeak #3205 - Discord
Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
Well Easter went okay.... inlaws & what not had to deal with it, but in other news found out windows API is stopping Essentials from being on a mobile platform... and http://communityscriptproject.com/forum/index.php?topic=14.0 works just fine on the mobile side.... yeah easter was me trying not to go insane.. next holiday is .... 4th of July for USA :D yay fire works .... sorry for rumbling on but i just need to type xD

KillerMapper

Helix Follower
Years
I mean on mobile (App Store, Google Play...). Last time I checked I only found an app to launch RM projects on the device.

But it's totally possible that some actual RM games are available on those stores.

KillerMapper

Helix Follower
Years
Behind my computer.

And still trying to make FMod working with Essentials without messing up the battle BGMs. Without any success.

Maruno

Years
Did you know that held items made for specific species (Soul Dew, Thick Club, etc.) don't work for Pokémon that have transformed into that species, but instead depend on the original species? And that the only two exceptions are Metal Powder and Quick Powder, which do depend on the species that's been transformed into? Both of those items are Ditto-specific, and of course Ditto can't do anything BUT transform into other Pokémon. These items end up being useless very quickly; I suppose they're just to make sure Ditto survives until it transforms. Never use these items with Ditto whose ability is Imposter.

Just one of the interesting things I've found out recently in my work on Essentials.

rigbycwts

Hmm, hmm.
Years
  • Seen Feb 22, 2019
I end up implementing Vivillon's forms by taking advantage of the "real-world location" feature that comes with the sample maps. Too bad I didn't make it check specific states since I found out that two different wing patterns might share the same country.

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
Years
Well, in case anyone was wondering where I'd went, I was wrapping up my semester at DigiPen and am leaving the school. I don't know if I'd recommend it to game devs here, but if you would like to hear about its pros and cons, please drop me a PM. I left because of nepotism, stress, and apathetic staff, and a whole slew of poor work conditions. I'm back in Nebraska, and doing an internship with a small team who just released their first commercial project. Slated on my list at present are a game design class for 4th-5th grades this summer, some design talks with the good folks at Vernacular Games (I'll probably supply links when we do said talks), and I'm hoping to get some community support here to start working on a baseline unity project for 3d fangames. (Right now I have the tools for a 2.5d overworld complete, but 3d is still another step up, plus the battle system is going to take up a lot of effort.)

Years
  • Seen Oct 30, 2023
Which sprites look best?

I am not really satisfied with the sprites I use. The BW ones are to tall, the HGSS are to big/wide. Which sprites would be the best for a screen 512x384?
unavzy3dwoc3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back