• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Game Development Daily Chit Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

elynxer

Sworedyz
Years
  • Lol! Pokemon Hall of Fame? That was around back when i used to hang out here.. Ah.. HOF...
    I'll use my google fu and see if I can nab you a link.

... No such luck. The only site that "offered" it smelled suspiciously like virus.
    Going to have my brother check his stash of freeware games...

He still has a copy. I happened to be involved with HOF back in the day, so.. Here's a link.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzVDHxjKUuV5YU1MRENySEY1bEE

Have a nice day!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2023
    elynxer I LOVE YOU DUDE! You got no clue how much I've been searching for the game.. millions of thanks <3

Schrroms

Pokémon Infinite Fusion dev
    Years
  • What is the status on taking donations for your fangame?

It would greatly help, especially since I want to introduce online features, but I'm worried about getting sued or have my game taken down by Nintendo.

Anyone knows if any big fangames (Reborn, Insurgence, etc.) did it and got away with it?

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    If you're using Essentials, you don't make money off it. Simple as that. The engine wasn't made for other people to monetise it. Especially when you made no suggestion that a part of the earnings would go to the Essentials developer(s).

Besides, if you try to make money off a Pokémon fangame, Nintendo are going to notice. Even if donations are optional. Even if it's "just for server costs, I personally won't get a penny, honest". And Nintendo aren't going to be nice about it.

In any case, you're not going to look good if you ask for money when other developers achieve the same thing without donations.

Years
  • If you're using Essentials, you don't make money off it. Simple as that. The engine wasn't made for other people to monetise it. Especially when you made no suggestion that a part of the earnings would go to the Essentials developer(s).

Besides, if you try to make money off a Pokémon fangame, Nintendo are going to notice. Even if donations are optional. Even if it's "just for server costs, I personally won't get a penny, honest". And Nintendo aren't going to be nice about it.

In any case, you're not going to look good if you ask for money when other developers achieve the same thing without donations.
    It should also go without saying that you cannot have any donation links on this forum/your game thread.

Years
  • What is the status on taking donations for your fangame?

It would greatly help, especially since I want to introduce online features, but I'm worried about getting sued or have my game taken down by Nintendo.

Anyone knows if any big fangames (Reborn, Insurgence, etc.) did it and got away with it?

Reborn doesn't have online features (yet, though from what I hear Ame is trying to change that). The way people trade Pokemon involves sending their save files to a dedicated staff member who hacks a clone of each other's Pokemon into their games, deletes the originals, then sends the save files back.

Insurgence, as far as I know, is running off a server that was already owned by one of the programmers but wasn't being used for much except to hold one web page.

Schleckenmiester

Developer
    Years
  • What are everyone's plans for Easter? I'm ignorant of other cultures and assume everyone celebrates it in their countries, if you in fat do not celebrate it, do you do anything similar?

In fact** sorry to be the grammer nazi

If you're using Essentials, you don't make money off it. Simple as that. The engine wasn't made for other people to monetise it. Especially when you made no suggestion that a part of the earnings would go to the Essentials developer(s).

I agree, plus Nintendo doesn't like their communities creations, Project M was taken down and it was a mod for SSB brawl and nintendo still asks them to take it down even though you need to buy the original game in order to download the mod

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
  • I agree, plus Nintendo doesn't like their communities creations, Project M was taken down and it was a mod for SSB brawl and nintendo still asks them to take it down even though you need to buy the original game in order to download the mod

This is why I don't agree with the "protecting our assets" angle Nintendo puts on these takedown notices. The fact is, Project M was designed in such a way so that you couldn't make a ROM file out of it, meaning you needed the original game in order to play. For this reason, Nintendo got more copies of SSBB sold, rather than less.

That said, Uranium was in fact wholly disconnected from any existing Pokemon game, so if it had been an isolated incident, I would have been more tolerant of Nintendo's side.

Derxwna Kapsyla

Derxwna "The Badman" Kapsyla
    Years
  • This is why I don't agree with the "protecting our assets" angle Nintendo puts on these takedown notices. The fact is, Project M was designed in such a way so that you couldn't make a ROM file out of it, meaning you needed the original game in order to play. For this reason, Nintendo got more copies of SSBB sold, rather than less.

That said, Uranium was in fact wholly disconnected from any existing Pokemon game, so if it had been an isolated incident, I would have been more tolerant of Nintendo's side.

Except, Wii Homebrew is absurdly easy now, and getting an ISO of a Brawl disc is like, extremely easy. So you can still illegally obtain the base game, then patch over it with Project M.
    Which is probably what people did.
    And it's still not about whether it (Uranium) modified one of their games, it's the fact that it
    • Used their assets
    • Used their copyright
    • Used their same basic formula
    That's what the issue is. Furthermore, once more, Uranium's Devs did not get contacted by Nintendo. They never, officially, got a notification to take down their game. They took it down, of their own volition, after recieving takedown notices on uploaded websites. The fact that people don't understand this, and the fact that people are continuing to run around like chickens with their heads cut off over this has become extremely tiring, especially since barely anybody seems to understand copyright law to begin with.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back