• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Game Development Daily Chit Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

WriterRaven

I Illustrate Through Words
Years
  • Do you guys like to listen to music or have something on in the background to listen to while working? If so, what do you have playing? I used to listen to podcasts but lately have been listening to some old 90's sitcoms while working.

Coding and writing of RMXP events are the only times when I don't have music on while I'm working on a project. I usually listen to a mixture of game soundtracks (in particular, those of Bastion and Crypt of the NecroDancer), songs about the stories of games, and a handful of instrumental pieces.

Years
  • Do you guys like to listen to music or have something on in the background to listen to while working? If so, what do you have playing? I used to listen to podcasts but lately have been listening to some old 90's sitcoms while working.

Sometimes I listen to my music - mostly video game music (a combination of Smash, Super Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, and Kingdom Hearts (only remixes of Mario and Pokemon, the others are official only)), with a few science-fiction TV show theme songs thrown in. But lately, I've been watching LPs while I work. I watch JoshJepson's Triforce Heroes, SullyPwnz's Paper Jam, and TheKingNappy's Omega Ruby Wonderlocke and Super Mystery Dungeon, and TyranitarTube's "Pokemon Insurgence" and "Alpha Sapphire Extreme Randomizer" LPs within a few hours of when they're posted, but when I have nothing new to watch I fall back on rchizzle9's "Zeta/Omicron" LP because it's the only one I've seen that's an LP that goes through both regions.

Last edited:

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
    Years
  • Anyone doing anything special for the upcoming anniversary? I'm hoping to do a release up to the Pokemon League of Chromatic, assuming I can get into gear and finish gyms faster.

sharzin

the biggest iranian pokemon fan
    Years
  • i dunno where to put this but anyway:
    1-is there anyone who is skilled in making anime style cut scenes?
    2- is there anyway to force player in pokemon essentials to be named red?

Years
  • 2- is there anyway to force player in pokemon essentials to be named red?

Use the script event command and type this
    Code:
    pbTrainerName("Red")

I listen to music while making my game most of the time, though i do have a habit of daydreaming off imagining the latter "good" parts of the game every now and then, and i'm just barely done with the beginning xP.

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
    Years
  • I listen to music while making my game most of the time, though i do have a habit of daydreaming off imagining the latter "good" parts of the game every now and then, and i'm just barely done with the beginning xP.
    Well, what's stopping you from working on the "good" parts while they're inspiring you? Just throw a guess as to what sort of team your player will have at that stage of gameplay and work from there.

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
    Years
  • Idk why i haven't thought of that. I'll try it next time it happens. Thanks!
    Usually folks just try to build their game from start to finish, which honestly is rarely how you'd do it in-industry. It makes sense in that you have a clearer idea as you test through your gameplay what a player's team is likely to look like(provided they engage in your content the same way as you do), but it does limit your ability to develop the game and sometimes can delay a project if you just don't want to work on Mundane Route #74 when the epic encounter is maybe 3 towns away.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    So, lately, I have been "trying" to make a game in Unity (5.3.) specifically, and one thing is now stumping me...

Any ideas or suggestions on a good tile-mapping tool? Could use a lot of help to produce tile BGs. Quite awkward to try to do it manually in an image editor, for obvious reasons. (If anyone's curious, it's a console-style 2D JRPG)

Also: hey everyone here! Consider me new to the scene here. I'm sure well be seeing a lot of each other very soon. Hehehe.

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
    Years
  • So, lately, I have been "trying" to make a game in Unity (5.3.) specifically, and one thing is now stumping me...

Any ideas or suggestions on a good tile-mapping tool? Could use a lot of help to produce tile BGs. Quite awkward to try to do it manually in an image editor, for obvious reasons. (If anyone's curious, it's a console-style 2D JRPG)

Also: hey everyone here! Consider me new to the scene here. I'm sure well be seeing a lot of each other very soon. Hehehe.
    I'd look into generating a dynamic mesh with uv coordinates corresponding to positions on a tileset image, much like how RPG maker does it, or alternatively making a bunch of quads, adding the relevant material, and moving them while holding the control key (or command on a Fisher Price my first computer Mac) to snap them to a grid. The latter has the advantage that you can make prefabs with your tile behaviors as scripts, but the disadvantage of taking longer to build your maps.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I'd look into generating a dynamic mesh with uv coordinates corresponding to positions on a tileset image, much like how RPG maker does it, or alternatively making a bunch of quads, adding the relevant material, and moving them while holding the control key (or command on a Fisher Price my first computer Mac) to snap them to a grid. The latter has the advantage that you can make prefabs with your tile behaviors as scripts, but the disadvantage of taking longer to build your maps.

Hmm, interesting.

What do you think of using Tiled in conjunction with Tiled2Unity?

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
    Years
  • Hmm, interesting.

What do you think of using Tiled in conjunction with Tiled2Unity?

I wasn't a fan of Tiled, myself, but to each their own. Tiled2Unity seems to do what I was describing, though further along in the logical process than I'd honestly given thought. If it works for you, by all means!

Edit: saw this today on Reddit and thought you guys might like it - it's a tool for showing various type combos' weaknesses and resistances, including hypothetical combos, so you can look at your fakemons' weaknesses and resistances. http://cotyhamilton.github.io/type-reference/

Last edited:

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I wasn't a fan of Tiled, myself, but to each their own. Tiled2Unity seems to do what I was describing, though further along in the logical process than I'd honestly given thought. If it works for you, by all means!

Edit: saw this today on Reddit and thought you guys might like it - it's a tool for showing various type combos' weaknesses and resistances, including hypothetical combos, so you can look at your fakemons' weaknesses and resistances. http://cotyhamilton.github.io/type-reference/

Haha, yeah!

Tiled and Tiled2Unity were exactly what the doctor ordered! Do you have experience working with Unity 5.x? I was thinking that I might need some help with both player sprite animations on movement and stopping, as well as transitions while changing the level.

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
    Years
  • Haha, yeah!

Tiled and Tiled2Unity were exactly what the doctor ordered! Do you have experience working with Unity 5.x? I was thinking that I might need some help with both player sprite animations on movement and stopping, as well as transitions while changing the level.
    Admittedly I'm not very familiar with Unity 5.x or the 2D animation tools in general, but if you drop me a PM sometime I might be able to help.

DonDevious

Master of Nothingness
    Years
    • Seen Feb 17, 2017
    Hi! New to this community. I'm a dev working on a game inspired by pokemon the way Earthbound/Mother series inspired Undertale. Not that I expect as much commercial success, just saying it's the same in that in involves collecting and fighting monsters, but different in many other aspects, such as fighting alongside them, having whichever ones not on the field be as useful (or more useful) than the ones that are, a more mature tone, etc..
    Just saying hello. Also, I use Game Maker Studio.
    Anyone else use that? Anyone willing to help me with a code I'm stuck on?

About that code I'm stuck on.... Where do I post to ask for help?

Last edited by a moderator:

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Hi! New to this community. I'm a dev working on a game inspired by pokemon the way Earthbound/Mother series inspired Undertale. Not that I expect as much commercial success, just saying it's the same in that in involves collecting and fighting monsters, but different in many other aspects, such as fighting alongside them, having whichever ones not on the field be as useful (or more useful) than the ones that are, a more mature tone, etc..
    Just saying hello. Also, I use Game Maker Studio.
    Anyone else use that? Anyone willing to help me with a code I'm stuck on?

About that code I'm stuck on.... Where do I post to ask for help?

Afraid I can't help you with anything related to Game Maker Studio, but someone will eventually find your post and reply to it, hopefully with an answer.

In the meantime, I'm stuck trying to figure out what's the best kind of UI to implement in my game to display stats, items, and stuff like that while in the field map.

Years
  • Hello, thought I'd introduce myself here as it seems like the place to do that. I'm working on a game in RPGMaker XP using Pokemon Essentials. This is my first time doing anything like this and I am kind of overwhelmed about where to start, particularly since I want to use my own custom Pokemon (i.e. Fakemon). Should I map everything out first? Try to find someone to help create the Fakemon and player character sprites? Any advice about how to break this down or where to start would be much appreciated.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    RPG Maker XV Ace is 90% off on steam ^_^. Pointless to essentials maybe, but I love it so much more than XP for non-pokemon things haha.

/bans self for advertising.

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
    Years
  • Here's a workflow question for folks - how much do you think you usually get done in a sitting? Every once in a while all my dev time gets sucked up into a single task like working with famitracker, but generally speaking, I feel like I can usually churn out a single complete outdoor map or an entire areas indoor maps in a typical dev session.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back