• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Mega Kangaskhan WAY TOO OVERPOWERED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oshamaru

Legs go, Megaman!
Years
I didn't have much trouble, but gosh, I thought that the second attack it makes was a typeless one. But no, it keeps the type and I think it keeps the Base Power, too. :I

Years
  • Seen Feb 9, 2020
Mega Kangaskhan is nowhere near OP. Its checks come in the form of any physical wall or any ghost since it loses Scrappy. Aegislash is the perfect counter, since it cannot hit it with Power-Up Punch and it doesn't have the STABs off anything else to 2HKO Aegislash. A Sacred Sword after one Swords Dance is all you need to knock it out.

Aegislash and most ghosts aren't excellent counters because of Earthquake and their inherent frailness. Drifblim is a more viable option because it flies and isn't offensive.

Also be prepared for a Kangaskhan outrage.

There are probably SOME physical walls that can work, but you'd have to be more specific. It certainly isn't "ANY" physical wall.

In the hands of a semi-competent user, Kangaskhan will most likely take down at least a couple pokemon, barring priority status or near perfect counters (such as skarmory and togekiss).

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
I think that a lot of the mega pokemon in this generation seem overpowered. Mega Blaziken and Mega Charizard Y seem the most powerful to me.

This moveset kills with Mega Kenga in competitive battles:

Sucker Punch
Return
Earthquake
Power Up Punch

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Dec 7, 2013
I agree with a lot of what you say. With it meant to be overpowered, for one. When I say it's "way too overpowered" i mean it's better off battling strong pokemon like Mewtwo, Kyogre, and Groudon. Pokemon of that level.

Regarding Latios, I think it'd be taken down with a Sucker Punch (100% confident if Kangaskhan had a boost). Scizor might be able to survive one turn, but I think on the second turn it'd be killed by an Earthquake. And if Kangaskhan had a power-up punch boost before Scizor came to play, I don't see scizor doing very well.

Poison could work, but again, you need a speedy status-affliction pokemon. I don't know how you could stall it out without putting it to sleep. Are you planning a quick substitute/leftovers user?

I've just had Tyranitar survive the doubled power-up punch attack today. Having a Tyranitar with Toxic is a way to deal with him... (my Tyranitar unfortunately didn't have Toxic though). Just a thought to consider when building a team to check/counter MegaKhan.

Besides MegaKhan my team has appeared to be weak to Fairies and a teams with lots of bulk or high speed pokemon. Just tweaks that need to be made. Theoretically, from your post earlier in this thread than this quote if Golduck relies on other pokemon to set him up I would drop him and Venomoth. Could use those slots as checks or counters to MegaKhan. Its just my opinion. But rather than a high speed status inflicter or a entry hazard user or staller a bulky Toxic user or the Prankster Klefki with Will-O-Wisp would be good. Prankster Klefki would cripple MegaKhan with the Burned status.

大輔

Adventurer
Years
I use Kangaskhan for my Normal Gym team, and it does work many wonders. However, that's not to say it's not impossible to defeat. In fact the second hit is just a little extra damage from the baby kangaskhan. It's not like it can't be beaten, a Lucario can easily take it out with aura sphere, close combat, or drain punch. And pokemon who are steel, ghost, fighting have somewhat of an advantage while fighting against it.

SidDays

Professional Lurker
Years
Sableye is also pretty good as a counter. If the Will-O-Wisp hits, there's pretty much nothing M-Ka can do but pray for a crit

Prankster Klefki with Will-O-Wisp would be good. Prankster Klefki would cripple MegaKhan with the Burned status.

Klefki doesn't get WoW. I once tried to luck out by T-Wave/Swagger but got 6-0'd lol

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
Years
Mega Kangaskhan isn't OP. It has weaknesses, just like every other Pokemon. It's just about as OP a Mega Blastoise or Mega Houndoom-not at all. Maybe your Pokemon just aren't the legends you want 'em to be.

Idk, I think it's weird to compare Mega Kanga to Pokemon like Mega 'stoise and Mega 'doom. Maybe it's how I built my team, but I can easily deal with Mega Blastoise. I've not really seen Mega Houndoom but to take down Mega Kanga I usually have to sacrifice at least one of my Pokemon, usually my mega (Mega Charizatd Y.)

My (showdown) team is:
* Rhyperior
* Greninja
* Charizard Y
* Aegislash
* Scizor
* Espeon

大輔

Adventurer
Years
Sableye is also pretty good as a counter. If the Will-O-Wisp hits, there's pretty much nothing M-Ka can do but pray for a crit

Klefki doesn't get WoW. I once tried to luck out by T-Wave/Swagger but got 6-0'd lol

Speaking of Paralyze/Confusion... anyone else hate the move nuzzle? I mean since most electric pokemon are speedy and nimble, it's so annoying getting nuzzled then confused...ugh

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Isn't Mega Kangaskhan currently being tested by Smogon before banning her to ubers? If she's proven so, then yes, she's OP. The only Pokémon I can think of who can counter her are Will-o-Wispers, Sableye, and Spiritomb.

Years
  • Seen Feb 9, 2020
I've used MegaKangaskhan too now, and I find that I don't have any problem when i get will-o-wisped. As long as I got a Power Up Punch in I can still bring down most threats. Thunder Wave is a greater threat to Will-o-Wisp.

Considering how it's a Normal type, Mega Kangaskhan is extremely vulnerable. Fighting types are common, and their moves are nearly universal. I've already beaten dozens of these "OP MONSTROSITIES" with only my Lucario and Close Combat.

Lucario really only stands a chance if it has gone mega before Kangaskhan has. A max invested speed Mega Kangaskhan will ALWAYS outrun Lucario. And if Lucario goes mega on the same turn that the Earthquake is coming, it's lights out for Lucario because it doesn't get its Mega speed.

Last edited:
Years
Mega Kangaskhan is OP, I think. Having Parental Bond means 1.5x attack coming off of 125 base attack, and with 6hp/252atk/252spe EV spread its attack is about equivalent to 523.5 without boosts, which is frightening. Not to mention that hitting twice mans it has ability to break sash, sturdy, and subs. Power Up Punch from Mega Kangaskhan is basically a free Swords dance boost while dealing damage.

That's not saying Kangaskhan is invincible, as there exists checks to Mega Kangaskhan, such as ghost types and certain fighting types that can outspeed Kangaskhan. However if M-Kangaskhan runs Sucker Punch, those 'mons could eat serious damage if prediction goes off.

The Mighty Kamina

Paragon of Masculinity
Years
I love my Mega-Khan, but I will say from experience it is far from OP. Close Combat from anything (not even a Fighting-type) puts it to bed rather quickly.

Lucifer

Fallen1
Years
Though I have not faced one yet since I still need 3 more badges it sounds to me like at least one mistake you made along with having an ill prepared team in general was not going in with a mega of your own. Particularly a fighting mega since Kangaskhan is normal.
Since that power-up-punch rules out Lucario and any rock type I'd say a good bet would be a Hawlucha. It's flying so it should be able to take the power-up-punch pretty well AND fighting to still give Kangaskhan that type disadvantage.

Though with the right defensive strategy and stats a Mega Lucario could probably take it out with no more than two Aura Blasts. Mine have thus far almost always been one-hit-KOs even when not mega or facing a foe that is weak to it. The key to that might be my lucario's (Sam) massive attack and special attack along with high speed. I'm guessing that with it's heavy weight a Kanghaskan wouldn't be too capable of high speed.

If anything it's the loop-holes provided by certain movesets that makes an opponent kind of a cheat.
For example the Galactic leader in Platinum had a team consisting of a Houndoom with a massive Thunder Fang that took out water types with one hit and a Honchicrow with a Ice move which took out both electric and rock(and had thunder in addition). It was a pain in the ass for me but like you I had not expected the kind of battle it was so had a poor team. A slight team alteration (adding Onix and Raichu) and training up about ten levels made it a snap.

Last edited:

KittenKoder

I Am No One Else
Years
I strongly disagree with the title of the thread. I don't like mega Kangas only because they're used too much sometimes, especially in the lower ranks of Battle Spot when the ratings were open. They're not that powerful, simple as that. I have several Kanga smashing strategies that work well.

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2023
so not true, its just a pain in the arse to face :/

skarmory can take an unboosted return and phaze it out with whirlwind, resetting its pup boosts. so if you have megaluke or some other fighting type, go ahead and switch in after phazing it out, cause megakhan wont like adaptability close combat or any other stong fighting move eg high jump kick

252 Atk Adaptability Mega Lucario Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 568-672 (161.3 - 190.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Adaptability Mega Lucario Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 624-736 (177.2 - 209%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Hawlucha High Jump Kick vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 368-434 (104.5 - 123.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
pokemon such as gorgeist and trevenant can also cripple it with return, they only need to watch out for crunch, which is a rare thing on common megakhan sets

Last edited:

Caiustheblack

Breeder for the sake of it.
Years
OR you can build a bulky pinsir with Moxie, leftovers, and ME FIRST as egg mov, followed by revenge.
If someone has mega kangaskhan it is almost granted that he will ABUSE power up punch, so you ll be able to stealpower-up punch for yourself, and 2hko it with ease.
Oh and any Choiche Scarf + Close combat combination, and he is plain dead :)

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 3, 2014
Prankster + Will-o-wisp should work, maybe one with levitate if possible too.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Restricting yourself to only Gen 1 Pokémon is a bad idea (Golduck? Really?).

Fortunately for you, there is a Gen 1 Pokémon that is a fantastic counter to Mega Kangaskhan: Gengar.

-Gengar, Killer of Khans:
Nature: Timid
Item: Black Sludge/Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Sp.Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
Moves: Shadow Ball, Focus Blast, Will-o-Wisp, Substitute

Thanks to its Ghost type and Levitate, Gengar is immune to Earthquake, Power-up punch, and Normal attacks. Sucker Punch won't work when it switches in since Sucker punch requires that the opponent needs to use an attack move to work. Your opponent will probably think you're some idiot, using Gengar when their Mega Kangaskhan has Sucker Punch. That's where they're wrong. You first use Will-o-Wisp to burn the Khan; Gengar will be safe because Will-o-Wisp isn't an attacking move. On the next turn, you use Substitute to give Gengar a temporary shield. It is safe once again because Sucker Punch doesn't work when you use Substitute. Due to the last 2 turns of burn damage and the Substitute, Gengar will survive the Sucker Punch, and KO Mega Kangaskhan in one shot with Focus Blast (provided it doesn't miss).

So whaddya think of that? The nice part is that Gengar is a generally good Pokémon.

Outside of Gen 1, you could use Conkeldurr. It has pretty good HP and Defense, and great Attack. It resists Sucker Punch, and has the HP (especially if you put EVs into it) and Defense to stomach Mega-Khan's attacks, then smash it with a Fighting type attack, preferably Drain Punch (you have to breed it with a Meinshao to get the move).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back