• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Mega Kangaskhan WAY TOO OVERPOWERED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2023
    gengar will have to look out for crunch, which megakhan occasionally uses. gengar is relatively weak physically and crunch will definitely 2hko it if its burned.

but still i see your point :]

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2020
    A lot of you are simply assuming that everything is in your favor before Mega Kangaskhan comes out. If you have the wrong pokemon out and need to switch into it (but don't have a ghost type) it's pretty much over for at least a few pokemon. Ferrothorn and Skarmory are two of the only pokemon outside of uber than can reliably take a hit.

Anyone who's tried to say Mega Lucario is the option just doesn't know. If Mega Lucario wasn't already out and on the battle field, then it CANNOT defeat Mega Kangaskhan.

Parental Bond doesn't work for attacks like Earthquake that hit multiple opponents, so it's not really broken.

Idk why you think that. Earthquake does hit twice. Or maybe you're not talking about single battles? I don't know, I don't like double or triple battles.

Another thing. A lot of people seem to think that because something can be defeated it isn't Overpowered, but that's not how it works. lol.

Of course there are going to be a few teams that have the right pokemon that are direct counters. Of course it can be defeated. If it is Uber, however, there will be few or specific counters. I am expecting Kangaskhan to become uber. If it is not, I'm expecting every team to need to prepare counters specifically for it.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    A lot of you are simply assuming that everything is in your favor before Mega Kangaskhan comes out. If you have the wrong pokemon out and need to switch into it (but don't have a ghost type) it's pretty much over for at least a few pokemon. Ferrothorn and Skarmory are two of the only pokemon outside of uber than can reliably take a hit.

Well, yeah, not everything's gonna be in your favor in battle. That's a fact of life. Otherwise it'd get boring fast. It is impossible to counter everything in existence. For example, I got sweeped by a Belly Drum Azumarill once. Thing totally destroyed me. Is it invincible or overpowered? Hell no, I just didn't have something to counter it with. Some teams don't have anything to counter Scizor with. Some teams are powerless against MoxieMence. Your particular team just didn't have anything to counter Mega-Kangaskhan with (especially considering you're using at lot of frail Pokes and crap like Golduck). And some Pokemon just have few counters.

And...did you read my previous post? I gave you a good counter to Mega-Kangaskhan. The only thing that would be an issue for that set is, like dancing Kirlia Pirouette said, the very occasional Crunch.

Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2013
    I'm not really sure if this would work but i tought of Aegislash
    first turn Aegislash uses king's shield and Mega kanga's attack lowers, then
    Mega Kanga attacks remember it's attack was lowered and that Aegislash has got lot of defense and then use a sacred sword

The Mighty Kamina

Paragon of Masculinity
    Years
  • I'm not really sure if this would work but i tought of Aegislash
    first turn Aegislash uses king's shield and Mega kanga's attack lowers, then
    Mega Kanga attacks remember it's attack was lowered and that Aegislash has got lot of defense and then use a sacred sword

King's Shield only decreases attack on contact move, and most 'Khans will be using Earthquake against Aegislash. KS will still protect it, but eventually, Aegislash will have to attack. It is much slower than Khan, and Shadow Sneak doesn't work on Khan, as it is a ghost move. It has to rely on Sacred Sword or Iron Head, at which point it would have to open itself up to take the super effective EQ.

Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2013
    King's Shield only decreases attack on contact move, and most 'Khans will be using Earthquake against Aegislash. KS will still protect it, but eventually, Aegislash will have to attack. It is much slower than Khan, and Shadow Sneak doesn't work on Khan, as it is a ghost move. It has to rely on Sacred Sword or Iron Head, at which point it would have to open itself up to take the super effective EQ.
    Oh well then it could use the air balloon to make it immune to earthquake

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2020
    I have OHKOed MegaKangaskhan with Hawlucha on many occasion.

Sucker punch doesn't take you out in one hit, or does the opponent just not think things through? Or are you using other status moves as well?

Well, yeah, not everything's gonna be in your favor in battle. That's a fact of life. Otherwise it'd get boring fast. It is impossible to counter everything in existence. For example, I got sweeped by a Belly Drum Azumarill once. Thing totally destroyed me. Is it invincible or overpowered? Hell no, I just didn't have something to counter it with. Some teams don't have anything to counter Scizor with. Some teams are powerless against MoxieMence. Your particular team just didn't have anything to counter Mega-Kangaskhan with (especially considering you're using at lot of frail Pokes and crap like Golduck). And some Pokemon just have few counters.

And...did you read my previous post? I gave you a good counter to Mega-Kangaskhan. The only thing that would be an issue for that set is, like dancing Kirlia Pirouette said, the very occasional Crunch.

Yeah, I read. Gengar's a nice option. I already have one but it's completely offensive. Adding some status move could be interesting.

Last edited:

Redingard

The Rider Breeds Pokemon
    Years
  • To be frank, my Mega Charizard, normal Garchomp, as well as my Volcarona, have easily dealt with Mega Kangaskhans. To be fair, I have a support-Gliscor out on the field first to buff them, but I always have enough time to raise Attack/Speed enough to OHKO it with my Pokemon. I guess you could try to run a Gliscor with this set. After all, it does get immunity to Earthquake and resistance to Power-Up Punch.

Gliscor, Poison Heal, 252 EV HP, 252 EV Defense, Impish, Toxic Orb
    Protect/Facade/Earthquake
    Swords Dance
    Rock Polish
    Baton Pass

Good stallers, such as Dusknoir or Ferrothorn (which is sadly weak to the dreaded Power-Up Punch) can also be able to live for a while (moreso Dusknoir than Ferrothorn). MegaKhan is just like a Kaiju: strong, fast, and tough. Likewise, you need a Jaeger to bring it down effectively. There are plenty. Do be sure to take all the other tips into account as well. Even so, MegaKhan is still tough to bring down.

§1

Rocket grunt
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2022
    if i can kill it before it gets in a power up punch, i might be able to win; otherwise it completely sweeps my team every time.

KittenKoder

I Am No One Else
    Years
  • if i can kill it before it gets in a power up punch, i might be able to win; otherwise it completely sweeps my team every time.

Then you need more status effects, sleep is one of the best, burning can seriously weaken a mega Kangas, then of course there's flatter.

§1

Rocket grunt
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2022
    Then you need more status effects, sleep is one of the best, burning can seriously weaken a mega Kangas, then of course there's flatter.

too conditional, if i switch in a ghost, scrappy lets power up punch hit it. if i switch in some other pokemon with a status move(like rotom-w), it also lets it get in power up punch, and then my pokemon dies.

i'd need something that can both take the hit, then outrun it to be able to pull that off.

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
    Years
  • too conditional, if i switch in a ghost, scrappy lets power up punch hit it. if i switch in some other pokemon with a status move(like rotom-w), it also lets it get in power up punch, and then my pokemon dies.

i'd need something that can both take the hit, then outrun it to be able to pull that off.

Mega Kahn has Parental Bond so your ghosts are safe.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Rocky helmet impish fur coat furfrou with toxic and protect and cotton guard.

That could work, but only if Furfrou can set up in advance, and depends on if MegaKhan already has its Power-Up Punch boost. And Leftovers might be better than Rocky Helmet in this case

No boosts to either: 252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Furfrou: 120-141 (33.8 - 39.8%) -- 24.6% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

MegaKhan has its boost: +2 252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Furfrou: 238-282 (67.2 - 79.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Both have their boosts: +2 252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. +3 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Furfrou: 94-112 (26.5 - 31.6%) -- 27.5% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

So MegaKhan easily takes down Furfrou if its already powered up, but has trouble defeating one that has already used Cotton Guard (especially with Protect, Leftovers, and if you use Cotton Guard twice). But you have to use Cotton Guard BEFORE it comes out, since Furfrou can't outspeed it and needs Defense investment in order to take MegaKhan on (so no Speed EVs).

The calcs were done with a set like this:
    -Furfrou w/Leftovers
    Nature: Impish
    Ability: Fur Coat
    EVs: 252 Hp, 252 Defense, 4 in whatever
    Moves: Cotton Guard, Toxic, Protect, attack move of your choice

So I think we've established 3 possible answers to Mega Kangaskhan so far: Gengar, Gliscor, and Furfrou.

Years
  • The reason why I say rocky helmet, is because of parental bond. If the second attack doesn't also pick up rocky helmet damage then oh well. But the move set would be cotton guard, toxic, sucker punch, protect.

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2013
    My impish furfrou can wall most physical attackers but the problem is that it's weak set up fodder and just encourages people to switch into a special attacker to force it out. It's hard to actually use it in a team imo since it's weak and situational. Unless you can aromatherapy/heal bell a poison or burn makes it useless with how weak it is.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2020

Burning doesn't seem to do much in my experience. I find paralysis is better. A burned Kangaskhan is still incredibly powerful after it has powered up once or twice. Maybe if you have a highly defensive team the burn is more effective.

The reason why I say rocky helmet, is because of parental bond. If the second attack doesn't also pick up rocky helmet damage then oh well. But the move set would be cotton guard, toxic, sucker punch, protect.

Kangaskhan would use Earthquake to avoid this.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2017
    I've fought a few and I agree they are op. Now I'll admit I don't really like most of the fighting type pokemon out there so I don't use them however I do still run fighting moves. It tends not to be enough to take it down in one hit and after that his power up punch goes into unstoppable victory.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back