• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Mega Kangaskhan WAY TOO OVERPOWERED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2020
    I don't know if any of you have come across battling one yet, but I faced my first one today and there was hell to pay. Mega Kangaskhan.

So I think I'm doing great in this battle. I have SIX pokemon left. He's on his last pokemon, Kangaskhan. It goes Mega instantly, but I'm still feeling super confident. Ok, first goes down my Venomoth to an earthquake despite its focus sash (parental bond power is to hit twice in the same turn).

Drought Ninetales. Kangaskhan uses Power Up Punch. Down.

Chlrophyll Venasaur. Double Sucker Punch. Down!

Hitmonlee? Yeah Right. One hit KOed.

Jolteon hits with thunderbolt? It barely takes half his hp. Double Earthquake from Kangaskhan! Down.

And Golduck? Pfffffft. Please. God no.

Idk. This new Mega Kangaskhan seems incredibly broken to me. Power Up Punch goes double instantly for +2 attack where the second Powerup punch in a turn is stronger than the first. Really, the only ways I can see to beat it is to outspeed it and potentially use a status afflicting move that ISN'T a burn or to use an Imposter Choice Scarf'd Ditto. One hit killing that thing is unlikely and even its sucker punch always goes first. I can't imagine if someone Baton Passed boosted speed to it.

What are your guy's thoughts on this MONSTROSITY?

Last edited:

Redingard

The Rider Breeds Pokemon
    Years
  • Mega Kangaskhan isn't OP. It has weaknesses, just like every other Pokemon. It's just about as OP a Mega Blastoise or Mega Houndoom-not at all. Maybe your Pokemon just aren't the legends you want 'em to be.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2020
    Mega Kangaskhan isn't OP. It has weaknesses, just like every other Pokemon. It's just about as OP a Mega Blastoise or Mega Houndoom-not at all. Maybe your Pokemon just aren't the legends you want 'em to be.

Can you please elaborate on what weaknesses you think there are aside from speed (as I mentioned earlier)? Thanks! I want to know and this thread was made for discussion. =]

Redingard

The Rider Breeds Pokemon
    Years
  • Considering how it's a Normal type, Mega Kangaskhan is extremely vulnerable. Fighting types are common, and their moves are nearly universal. I've already beaten dozens of these "OP MONSTROSITIES" with only my Lucario and Close Combat.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2020
    Utilizing the speed I mentioned in the first post though, correct? (Your Lucario is faster) So, if you don't have a speedy fighting type power-hitter on your team or a quick sleep inflictor, I think you pretty much lose.

When a pokemon falls into the Uber tier, it's typically because there is only one or two ways to defeat it when using pokemon that do not also fall into the same tier.

Your method of victory falls into what I said in my first post.

For it not to be overpowered, there needs to be more than one or two ways to defeat a pokemon.

Last edited:

Redingard

The Rider Breeds Pokemon
    Years
  • I used my Aggron (Not Mega) to whittle down a large portion of its health. A tank is a very viable option to take down something like a Mega Pokemon. On top of this, Aggron can learn a couple of Fighting moves as well.

Going off of your speedy hitters idea-we have countless of those. You can't go more than a couple of minutes without finding a good one.

And yes, I do believe the Baby is weaker. From what I've noticed, anyways. Not a fact.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2020
    I used my Aggron (Not Mega) to whittle down a large portion of its health. A tank is a very viable option to take down something like a Mega Pokemon. On top of this, Aggron can learn a couple of Fighting moves as well.

Going off of your speedy hitters idea-we have countless of those. You can't go more than a couple of minutes without finding a good one.

And yes, I do believe the Baby is weaker. From what I've noticed, anyways. Not a fact.

It doesn't seem like the baby is weaker (from my perspective). It always seemed like it was hitting equally as hard, but I could be mistaken.

Anyway, regarding Aggron, I don't understand how it could take TWO earthquakes from a base 125 power pokemon... especially since it's 4x WEAK to Ground. It doesn't seem realistic, and sturdy would be over-ridden. I think that's something to look into, but perhaps. And Aggron sounds like a good opportunity for Kangaskhan to get Power-Up punch double build...

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
    Years
  • Its not overpowered, you just weren't prepared for it. Of course its gonna sweep you when you have 6 frail attackers.

I've only faced one, and my Meowstic just used Charm on it and it was useless- allowing Meowstics partner to wreck the opposing team.

Redingard

The Rider Breeds Pokemon
    Years
  • My Aggron lasted two turns. That was more than enough time to do devastating damage with Brick Break. Had I gone Mega, I probably could have defeated the Mega Kangaskhan. It's pretty balanced. High attack and defence capabilities, decent movepool, but horrible weaknesses (speed and Fighting). Relatively easy Pokemon to defeat if you have the right team. Wondering why you had a Golduck there in the first place.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2020
    Meowstic with Charm. Nice. And that evades the sucker punch that would have killed it. <3 You make it sound like you were in a double battle though?

My Aggron lasted two turns. That was more than enough time to do devastating damage with Brick Break. Had I gone Mega, I probably could have defeated the Mega Kangaskhan. It's pretty balanced. High attack and defence capabilities, decent movepool, but horrible weaknesses (speed and Fighting). Relatively easy Pokemon to defeat if you have the right team. Wondering why you had a Golduck there in the first place.

It makes me wonder whether or not the ones you fought had decent move sets if it couldn't even take down an Aggron in one turn. It gets 4x effective moves and hits twice. That's 8x the power. lol

Anyway, I'm not debating whether or not Mega Kangaskhan should be used, but I'm saying that it's on par with legendaries in the Uber tier. lol

BTW, Golduck is pretty good if it gets the right setup from Venomoth and it gets full power under the sun so Nintails doesn't hinder it and solar beam can't be used against me.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Considering how it's a Normal type, Mega Kangaskhan is extremely vulnerable. Fighting types are common, and their moves are nearly universal. I've already beaten dozens of these "OP MONSTROSITIES" with only my Lucario and Close Combat.
    ...What? Normal types is a great defensive type because it only has ONE weakness. With Mega Kangaskhan's amazing bulk, it can withstand a hit from Lucario and then easily KO with a double Earthquake. Not to mention, Mega Knagskhan is actually faster than Lucario, so it'll die before getting the chance to hit. It's not like being Normal type stopped Blissey from being dominant or anything.
    I beat passerby's Mega Pokemon with a freaking Talonflame, and even legendaries, but you won't see that in competitive battling.

Anyway, OP, Skarmory is your best bet. Resistant to sucker punch and STAB Return, immune to Earthquake and can PHAZE it out in case it starts boosting with Power Up Punch. It's pretty much a counter because Kangaskhan cant do anything to it. Its lack of a recovery move also makes it vulnerable to entry hazards and status, making Skarmory all the more suitable to deal with it. I'd imagine guys like Scizor, Gyarados and Forretress can deal with it pretty good as well.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2020
    Anyway, OP, Skarmory is your best bet. Resistant to sucker punch and STAB Return, immune to Earthquake and can PHAZE it out in case it starts boosting with Power Up Punch. It's pretty much a counter because Kangaskhan cant do anything to it. Its lack of a recovery move also makes it vulnerable to entry hazards and status, making Skarmory all the more suitable to deal with it. I'd imagine guys like Scizor, Gyarados and Forretress can deal with it pretty good as well.

That's a good idea. I'm going to consider using Skarmory if I rematch him.

I don't think Gyarados would handle the sucker punch well in the event that Kangaskhan got a Power-up Punch in. Unless you're considering Mega Gyarados, that is.

Thanks for your non-flamatory and constructive input. I'm surprised its such a rare thing to get. I guess I didn't notice because that was enough to kill everything I have. xD

P.S. I did some research and it seems the baby hits at half the power of the mother, especially with the Powerup Punch boost.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    A bulky dragon dance Gyarados should be a good check. Intimdate cuts off its attack, and if you predict right, you can Dragon Dance to a failed Sucker Punch. I can't imagine it using Power-Up Punch on it considering it resists it, and after a Dragon Dance, it should be able to deal very significant damage, and of course a Mega Kangaskhan can't do much to bulky Gyarados when it's attack is cut off thanks to Intimidate.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2020
    A bulky dragon dance Gyarados should be a good check. Intimdate cuts off its attack, and if you predict right, you can Dragon Dance to a failed Sucker Punch. I can't imagine it using Power-Up Punch on it considering it resists it, and after a Dragon Dance, it should be able to deal very significant damage, and of course a Mega Kangaskhan can't do much to bulky Gyarados when it's attack is cut off thanks to Intimidate.

Yeah, I was referring to switching into gyarados after a power punch takes out another pokemon (assuming kangaskhan and gyarados didn't come in at the same time). And I'd forgotten about intimidate. I use moxie.

Another good point, Spin.

Years
  • Skarmory is your best bet. Resistant to sucker punch and STAB Return, immune to Earthquake and can PHAZE it out in case it starts boosting with Power Up Punch.

Steel-type Pokemon no longer resist Dark-type moves in Gen VI so a double Sucker Punch is gonna hurt your Skarmory.

Assuming stealth rock is already in place I would use Scyther to hit it with a Choice Band STAB U-Turn (Immune to earthquake and resists Power-Up Punch) to switch in Mega-Lucario which can outspeed Mega Kangashkhan and use Close Combat to finish off what Scyther started.

Of course a Choice Band U-Turn Scyther is generally pretty ridiculous and useless in any other situations but this set up is specifically for Mega-Kangashkhan.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Steel-type Pokemon no longer resist Dark-type moves in Gen VI so a double Sucker Punch is gonna hurt your Skarmory.
    Regardless of that, why would Skarmory use Brave Bird on a bulky Pokemon such as Mega Kangskhan anyway? You can just lay down spikes and watch as the Mega Pokemon can't do anything to it, and then proceed to phaze it away. Entry hazards would really cripple it down.

Also I'm not sure what Scyther can do to it. On top of being ridiculously weak to Stealth Rock, it also faces the danger of a Sucker Punch and it won't survive it. It won't survive a STAB either. Scizor would do the job much better because it's not frail.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Mega Pokémon were meant to be a little overpowered in the first place. Pokémon reach their mega forms once they get to their fullest potential, and when they do, their strengths are supposed to be equivalent to those of legendaries. So, personally, I don't mind. I don't mind with Mega Kangaskhan being a bit too powerful. Though, there plenty of ways to take it down. If you have a Scizor on your team, then you could easily have it defeated with about two Superpower attacks. Bullet Punch may work, too, but that might take you more than two. If you have a heavy special attacker on your team, such as Latios, then you should be able to make it faint with moves like Draco Meteor and Fire Blast. If you like, you could also stall out Mega Kangaskhan. As stated before, Kangaskhan doesn't have access to any recovery move. If you have it poisoned and survive a few attacks from it, then within about eight to nine turns, this Pokémon will be taken down. (:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2020
    Mega Pokémon were meant to be a little overpowered in the first place. Pokémon reach their mega forms once they get to their fullest potential, and when they do, their strengths were supposed to be equivalent to those of legendaries. So, personally, I don't mind. I don't mind with Mega Kangaskhan being a bit too powerful.

I agree with a lot of what you say. With it meant to be overpowered, for one. When I say it's "way too overpowered" i mean it's better off battling strong pokemon like Mewtwo, Kyogre, and Groudon. Pokemon of that level.

Though, there plenty of ways to take it down. If you have a Scizor on your team, then you could easily have it defeated with about two Superpower attacks. Bullet Punch may work, too, but that'll take you more than two. If you have a heavy special attacker on your team, such as Latios, then you should be able to make it faint with moves like Draco Meteor and Fire Blast. If you like, you could also stall out Mega Kangaskhan. As stated before, Kangaskhan doesn't have access to any recovery move. If you have it poisoned and survive a few attacks from it, then within about eight to nine turns, this Pokémon will be taken down. (:

Regarding Latios, I think it'd be taken down with a Sucker Punch (100% confident if Kangaskhan had a boost). Scizor might be able to survive one turn, but I think on the second turn it'd be killed by an Earthquake. And if Kangaskhan had a power-up punch boost before Scizor came to play, I don't see scizor doing very well.

Poison could work, but again, you need a speedy status-affliction pokemon. I don't know how you could stall it out without putting it to sleep. Are you planning a quick substitute/leftovers user?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2014
    Mega Kangaskhan is nowhere near OP. Its checks come in the form of any physical wall or any ghost since it loses Scrappy. Aegislash is the perfect counter, since it cannot hit it with Power-Up Punch and it doesn't have the STABs off anything else to 2HKO Aegislash. A Sacred Sword after one Swords Dance is all you need to knock it out.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back