• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
Which is more annoying, a reviewer who writes a short and undeserved pride boosting post, or a new author with an "I am right, You are wrong, I am mightier, You tell me good stuff NOW!" attitude?

I'd prefer someone going to the trouble to reviewing my story and filling their review with egotism and sarcasm over watching an author blatantly ignore a good review because he/she can't accept constructive criticism.

Abrogate Nadir

Obscure Shipper
Years
Both of them are pretty bad. I know of one person who posts on fanfiction.net. They're like 20+ years old and for some time now, they've been getting short reviews full of praise for their work. They've also made polls about said work on their profile, for which most people give him an eight or higher, many a perfect ten. As a result, he himself has said he thinks he is "good to very good". Not only that, his 'status' in Pokemon fanfiction has led him to seek a career in being a writer/script writer. Having said all that, while he is certainly better than some, there is a lot of room for improvement. He isn't a bad person by any means, but he tends to kind of shirk any suggestions you make, even if yourself at length.

Of course, those short reviews of praise don't always lead to someone limiting their own growth, but a person who has that ego absolutely does. I've seen a lot of variations. Some people will refer to all their other reviews, how many views they get, what (x) who is supposedly an authority thinks...and some will be even lamer. I've had one person reply to me saying that they have 'writing degrees', which was interesting because they wrote at a level that might have been acceptable when they were fourteen, but falls short of something old enough to have a university education should be producing. I've also had people claim they have had professional editors look at their fanfiction and say it was great, which is also pretty lulzy.

So yeah, someone having that high and mighty attitude is definitely more annoying.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
http://pokemonepiphany.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=258
http://pokemonepiphany.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=50

The first is his. He's seemed to have improved it a little. It was just a huge wall of text before. The second is someone else's.

I'm Zeus in there.

In his defense, you didn't even bother to go into detail about your comments. There's no quoted examples and no elaboration, so even with you stating that something is wrong, the author doesn't understand why it's wrong or how to improve because you don't explain the reader's standpoint or suggest ways to dig himself out of that hole of suck. On top of that, in your second link, you outright flamed the author by posting a one-liner review that simply says the story sucks without going into why. These are most likely new or n00b authors. They don't understand the conventions that we see as standard and marks of a good fanfiction. You, as the reviewer, have a job to explain things carefully so that your opinion is clear and helpful. Most likely, you'll find they'll be more acceptive of your review if you aren't a jerk who simply stops at saying they suck without going all the way. Besides, a review's just like a fanfic. If it's not descriptive enough when it's telling an author to add more description, I take it as a sign of hypocrisy. And only one step above those one-liner praise reviews.

I'm sorry if I have to be blunt here, but I can't stand reviewers (and there are plenty of them in the world of Pokemon fanfiction) who think they're doing the fandom a world of good by simply saying authors suck and trodding on someone's self-esteem by stopping there. To be perfectly honest, you're not. You're only making the problem worse by pissing people off, and pissed off authors will be less inclined to change.

If you'd like to hear more about my rants concerning bad reviews, I wrote a guide that's actually mentioned in the rules. Please read it.

Last edited:

Ascaris

boogey
Years
I know that and I tried to explain it to that guy over PM. I was just in a very bad mood at the time and him insulting me didn't make it any better. The second reviewer was a troll who went around and insulted others fics so I just did the same to him.

I realise that I was being blunt. I can actually write good reviews but I was just pissed off at the time.

If it makes you feel any better, I am currently helping the person improve the story.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
I know that and I tried to explain it to that guy over PM.

You explain it to him in the post, not over PM. Do it the first time.

I was just in a very bad mood at the time

Even then, part of the unwritten (although I tried to write them down in aforementioned guide) rules of being a reviewer is that you give them an objective opinion. Keep your mood out of it and review it as you see it.

On top of that, it's a given that a good reviewer is as detailed as possible in order to state exactly what is wrong with a fic. And no reviewer goes and outright flames an author because they're feeling pissy in real life. No self-respecting one, at least.

As a woman, I have monthly issues. Yes, it's stereotypical, but I admit I'm not in the best of moods when I feel like my uterus is trying to explode. However, very rarely do I let this affect how I review. I tell it like I see it, yes, but I always state my reasonings. If I can keep my monthly pissy attitude out of my reviews, I'm sure you can as well.

The second reviewer was a troll who went around and insulted others fics so I just did the same to him.

*whips out a newspaper, rolls it up, and smacks you* No. Bad reviewer. No biscuit.

You do not review out of spite. That's bad reviewing, and it's petty. Do you really want to stoop to their level, or are you going to be mature and tell them why they suck in enough detail that they understand?

Not to mention you never, ever review to take out your personal gripes anyway. It makes you biased, which means you're unable to see the story as it is rather than as the product of the person you're pissed off at.

I realise that I was being blunt.

No, dear. I'm blunt. (See the difference?) You're just flaming people.

If it makes you feel any better, I am currently helping the person improve the story.

What would make me feel better is the reassurance that you're not going to go around with your brand of not helping again. This fandom's got a lot of authors who have room for improvement, and simply insulting the way they're writing because you're pissed off over something unrelated (and really, if it doesn't have to do with the story, it is unrelated) at the time won't decrease that number.

Last edited:

Ascaris

boogey
Years
Jax Malcolm said:
You explain it to him in the post, not over PM. Do it the first time.

Yeah, I realise that. But it won;t make much of a difference now since I'm helping him over PM.

Jax Malcolm said:
No, dear. I'm blunt. (See the difference?) You're just flaming people.

*hangs head in shame*

Yes, I see the difference. I really do try to help people when I review. I just don't know what happened to me then

Jax Malcolm said:
What would make me feel better is the reassurance that you're not going to go around with your brand of not helping again. This fandom's got a lot of authors who have room for improvement, and simply insulting the way they're writing because you're pissed off over something unrelated (and really, if it doesn't have to do with the story, it is unrelated) at the time won't decrease that number.

I know. I'm sorry about that. I'll try to make more helpful reviews in the future.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Yes, I see the difference. I really do try to help people when I review. I just don't know what happened to me then

You got excited. Just stay calm when you review (and maybe don't look at the name of the author), and you'll be fine.

And thanks for understanding. Apologies if my tone insulted you.

Sunnybeam

when the sky is bright
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 9, 2011
Which is more annoying, a reviewer who writes a short and undeserved pride boosting post, or a new author with an "I am right, You are wrong, I am mightier, You tell me good stuff NOW!" attitude?

Ah, the writer. You can trump the bad reviewer with a comprehensive review, but the noob "authors" just spam up the forum.

I have a topic too.

What aspect of writing do you consider your strongest point?

For me, I guess it'd be character. My writing style itself needs improvement (especially when it comes to description) and it takes me a while to revise a 'raw' plot and make it reader-worthy. But I'm pretty confident in my ability to create and portray characters. Heck, Fuega is basically a character study. I enjoy laying out the interactions and dynamics between characters, since one might affect the actions of another...

Oh, and I express characters best through dialogue. -thumbs up-

Last edited:

txteclipse

The Last
Years
Welcome back, Astinus. Your return is as the first flowers of spring. Carnivorous flowers that eat n00bs for breakfast, that is.

*looks at Astinus's new Avatar*
Ooh! Sora.
Is that picture recolored?
I didn't think Sora wore that color in Kingdom Hearts.
If I had my 3 female gaming freak friends here, I probably would have lost my hearing due to yells of "SORA!"

I wish I knew geeky females...

Anyways, that's Sora's Final Form. You get it near the end of Kingdom Hearts II. While using it, you basically float around and your keyblades spin around you randomly attacking things without you even having to do anything. It's spectacular.

I don't know. Going by reader's comments, I'd say characterization through actions.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
My avatar was just a choice between Sora's Final Form or his Brave Form, but I see enough of his Brave Form in the game. Wisdom Form is my favorite color scheme, but I have that as an avatar on my LJ.

I just really wish I could beat Demyx so I can get past Hallow Bastion. I hate you, Demyx.

Dialogue. I've always been told my dialogue just always sounded natural. I can get the voice of the characters down well.

Shrike Flamestar

The Invisible!
Years
Oh hai thar, sorry about dropping off the face of the Earth and all. I tend to do that. Last weekend I went home for Labor Day which distracted me from posting here and then this past week I was busy playing my new crack (AKA, Tales of Vesperia. Damn, that game is addictive).

Oh and hey, welcome back Astinus. Just needed a break?

Anyways, this whole reviewer argument reminds me of a certain Yami Ryu over at Serebii. To put it short, she doesn't know the definition of tact. This means that the n00bish authors whose stories she "reviews" tend to get all pissed off and angry while people like me sit back and laugh at all. Seriously, she's like Simon from American Idol, she's hilarious sometimes.

Amid all that though there's been who knows how much controversy from the people who see her critiques as flames. Which is valid sometimes, but not always. People are always like "hey, you should go easier on the newbies, if you yell at them they won't improve." Then I go and think "But not all of them are newbies. Some are just plain n00bs, and yelling at n00bs is quite the fun sport. It's so amusing to poke their buttons and see how they strut about thinking they're better than you."

And let me just say that from what I've seen of that guy in the first fic Poke Poke posted, he is a n00b, a classic example of one too. Actually, from what I've seen that forum may have even more n00b readers than Serebii; namely all those people rushing to the author's side and going "dude, I like this story. Don't flame him, bro." To be fair I've only seen the worst of that forum I guess.

To make it clear I'm not saying it's all right to go and flame n00bs, I'm just saying that even if you didn't flame them and tried talking to them in a reasonably manner, nothing would probably change. The Nick guy would still have gotten all uptight and called Poke Poke perfect and ignored everything he said even if he had done it in a more reasonable tone. That's just how n00bs are; it's like trying to talk to a rock with them. Now, the difference comes to when you're dealing with newbs; with them yelling may simply be discouraging, while with a calmer tone they may actually listen.

So anyways, no matter what I say, I don't really review anyways so I'm safe in that regard. :D If I did review I'd probably flame every single n00b fic I saw all the way into the bowels of hell, so... Yeah, it's a good thing I don't review.

Apologies if I offended anyone with my radical views <_< A lot of my views tend to be radical like that...

...In fact, I just realized how Jax and I tend to almost have opposite views on everything. She's this big optimist who puts faith in everyone and their ability to improve, while I'm a pessimistic cynic who likes to give everyone the benefit of the doubt unless they can prove otherwise. :D

Anyways, working backwards now...

*Refreshes and sees a new topic* w00t, it be mine!

The odd thing about how I write is that I pretty much write completely differently depending on the story. With TRINITY which most people here will be familiar with over anything else I write, I focus on description to bring the futuristic setting alive, as well as subtle character interactions through description, rather than just dialogue. In The Flamestar Chronicles, the description tends to be less fluid than TRINITY (of course I am change that with the rewrite) with a heavier emphasis on dialogue for character interaction.

Between both of them I'd say that my strongest point is tied between plot and characters. I focus on developing my characters a lot in what I write, although in TFC they are somewhat static (which may or may not change in the rewrite. The problem is the first 28 or so chapters only takes place in the span of a week, and I don't think many people develop their personality that much in just one week. With the changes I'm making Rayne, who knows what I'll be able to end up doing, though...).

As for plots, they're also one of my strong points. Thinking up a good plot isn't as hard for me as other people, partially because the plot itself grows as I write and think about the story. I don't pressure myself to get the whole plot laid out before I even begin writing, which allows the plot to naturally develop as I write instead of being forced.

As should be obvious from what I said above, the writer.

The sort of legendary mini topic that popped up and which while not a real topic I feel like responding to anyways as I like digging up all these old arguments, dammit!
Okay, all I really want to say here is that in the little universe I cooked up for my stories, most legendary Pokémon actually are gods. Technically the Pokémon is just their avatar when they visit the mortal world. If, say, someone else were to write a fic in my universe and have their trainer try to capture one of those, that would just be lol worthy. First of all it wouldn't even technically be possible due to how I've explained Pokéballs as working (they can only capture beings composed solely of Pokémon-type energy; while the Gods would be composed of celestial-type), second of all that trainer would quickly find themselves smited.

So yeah, just a little view into how stuff regarding legendaries can be very different between fics.

Is it generally acceptable to use your favorite Pokemon as the main characters Pokemon? (With out it seeming to degrade the story.)
Sure, why not? Just so long as they get it in an appropriate manner (that means no vending machines, aka Professors, dispensing Eevee and Dratini and other rare Pokémon so much that the only possible explanation is that Team Evil is dastardly cloning them. Those bastards. ...Hey, that would make a pretty good parody).

I luck out in this area in that my favorite Pokémon are Quilava and Buizel. Buizel is very common so there'd be no problem if I ever gave someone one as a starter, and Quilava (well, Cyndaquil) is a normal starter Pokémon and so there's absolutely no problems there.

If you could meet one character from a Fan Fiction of yours, who would it be?
Hmm, Rayne might be cool to see how kickass she is in real life (but I'm going to be toning that down somewhat in the rewrite...), but she'd also be a bit boring. Iruel would be fun so long as he doesn't try to kill me (he's insane, a complete nut who enjoys killing because it's fun to him). Hmm...the characters in TFC I wouldn't really care much to meet in real life so I think I'll instead go with TRINITY chars. Both Tashima and Zeta would be cool to meet, with Zeta taking the lead. His extensive cybernetics and built in weapons would just be awesome in real life, and I could tell him to go around and kill people I don't like and threaten him with deleting his character from the story if he doesn't. <_<

How long has your longest chapter been
25 Word pages. It's mindboggling.

If the anime writers wanted to base an episode/movie on your fan fic, would you give them the rights to?
I intended to reply to this like a week ago and even had a reply written but forgot and overwrote it with this one (I write all these long replies in Word and actually save them as I go in case anything happens), grr.

Anyways, the short of it was that for TFC it'd need to be an episodic anime all its own, while TRINITY would work fine as a movie or two (I don't know if it could fit into one). Neither would work as an episode in the normal anime due to them taking place in different universes.

And there ya have it. Another of my (should be) patented uber long replies. Enjoy.

Bay

Years
Hm, my strongest point would be plot. I have reviewers keep guessing what's going to happen next and also point out some scenes they like. Characterization too, I guess. They too comment how well I protrayed their emotions.

Weakest? Most likely grammar and awkward sentences. Even though I read my fics aloud and I think the sentences sounded fine, a few reviewers pointed out some places where the flow didn't sound right. XD

Blue Angel

Living for now
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 7, 2016
I am probably the most unlike anyone here, because my strongest points are grammar, writing, and dialog. Sadly, when it comes to characters and plot, I am not so good.

Grammar/English was my best class last year, and I took a course on it over the summer.

I also took a writing class but I don't think it really helped me learn much about character or plot.

I have to write a paper on an event in my life and make it suspenseful, so I might post it in the forums some place, or try and "Poke-fy" it and post it here.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Anyways, this whole reviewer argument reminds me of a certain Yami Ryu over at Serebii. To put it short, she doesn't know the definition of tact.

And judging by the way she reviewed me, I'm still doubtful about the quality of her reviews. While she told me she didn't like my story, she didn't say why.

My entire point of my earlier rant is simply this:

I don't give a damn if you say you don't like a story. In fact, if you want to say it sucks, by all means. I've said a story sucks. Heck, in fact, feel free to read one where I'm ripping an arrogant author a new one. However, if you're going to say something's wrong, you'd better damn well say why. Otherwise, if you rant about a lack of detail when you haven't actually gone into detail yourself, you leave the author with a hypocritical view on things. Not to mention the author doesn't know what's exactly wrong. A one-liner doesn't exactly tell them anything.

Reasoning with them and telling them exactly what they got wrong and why it's wrong are two different things. It's your job as a reviewer to do the latter.

Seriously, she's like Simon from American Idol, she's hilarious sometimes.

Simon, if I recall correctly, actually elaborates a bit more than she does. I've been told my fanfiction sucked for the genre, and when I asked her (politely, no less) why, she PMed me a message that essentially stated "I can't shoot you to stardom." Buh what? All I asked is a little more elaboration to an opinion so I can understand what exactly was weak. Otherwise, if you don't tell me what's weak, then I'm probably going to do it again because I don't know what I should be improving.

And let me just say that from what I've seen of that guy in the first fic Poke Poke posted, he is a n00b, a classic example of one too.

He may have been, but that just means you're going to have to spell things out for him because he's too stupid to understand why you think his story sucks otherwise. Which means he'll go and do the same thing all over again.

I'm just saying that even if you didn't flame them and tried talking to them in a reasonably manner, nothing would probably change. The Nick guy would still have gotten all uptight and called Poke Poke perfect and ignored everything he said even if he had done it in a more reasonable tone.

From what I can tell, he got uptight anyway. Notice how Poke poke mentioned that the kid stalked him until a higher up came along and told him to knock it off?

Not to mention it depends. I've been reviewing with long, detailed reviews for years over on PFU, and aside from the handfuls that are like the kid in the link above, most of them listened to my reviews and improved. You don't need to outright flame someone to get them to stop posting crap.

And to clarify flame =/= concrit =/= reasoning with them. A flame is simply saying "this sucks" without actually saying why. Concrit is saying "this sucks, and I'm going to tell you why as clearly as possible so you see why I think it sucks." Reasoning is saying "this sucks, but I can possibly back off if we talk this over." My point is that if you're going to review, you give people concrit. Flaming pisses them off and leaves them confused. Reasoning lets them go on their merry way. Concrit leaves them with little to no argument without sounding like a moron who won't change if you flamed them anyway. For the most part, pissing people off does not change them. It's backing them into a corner that does.

Put it another way, let's say it like this. If you tried to work out a complicated math problem, and you did it completely incorrectly, coming along and telling you that you suck at math will leave you still with a complicated math problem that's done incorrectly. When you go try to solve similar math problems, you're probably going to make the same mistakes unless you know exactly what the problem with the first formula was. So, if someone comes along and says, "Look, you're doing this wrong. Let me show you what mistakes you've made so you can see how to work them out later," then you have the mistake in your head and know how to watch out for it further on down the road. N00bs are idiots, yes, and they may repeat mistakes now and then. However, if you highlight their mistakes, underscore it, and smack them upside the head with a lesson a few times, they start to get it after awhile. N00bs are simply sheep. You guide them a little the first time, and they follow where you want them to go after that. Why? Because you're taking advantage of their own stupidity and group mentality. Also, you're avoiding pissing them off, which would have them blow off your review and keep writing crap.

That's just how n00bs are; it's like trying to talk to a rock with them.

Have you ever actually tried? Because I've actually had some nice successes in my time over on PFU, and let me tell you, PFU's no pinnacle of intelligence.

She's this big optimist who puts faith in everyone and their ability to improve,

Clearly, you don't know me that well. I'm not putting faith in anyone. I'm saying that if you piss someone off, they're less likely to do what you want them to do.

Furthermore, I'm not an optimist. I'm simply telling it like it is, based on past experience.

I've been told I'm good at character creation and that, for the most part, I can create a believable character or an otherwise interesting one without delving into Cliche Land.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
Years

Grammar is one thing that I definitely have a knack for, but I'm not terribly certain about everything else. I'm pretty sure that I'm fine with developing an interesting plot and setting, but I can't help but be unsure.

One thing that I know isn't one of my strong suits is volume, most of my stuff is pretty short.

Negrek

Am I more than you bargained for yet?
Years

Plot. Weird crap just kind of happens.

To make it clear I'm not saying it's all right to go and flame n00bs, I'm just saying that even if you didn't flame them and tried talking to them in a reasonably manner, nothing would probably change.
Nevertheless, the majority of your post does sound that way. If you were attempting to say something else, you may want to consider revision.

...In fact, I just realized how Jax and I tend to almost have opposite views on everything. She's this big optimist who puts faith in everyone and their ability to improve, while I'm a pessimistic cynic who likes to give everyone the benefit of the doubt unless they can prove otherwise.
lolwhut? Jax can snark at the n00bs with the best of them, the fact that she doesn't do so while pretending that she's trying to help (a la Yami) notwithstanding. Good humor is never so blatant. "Everybody should just play nice, roses, sunshine, and happiness!" hardly describes her outlook at all. But pettily mean she isn't.

Shrike Flamestar

The Invisible!
Years
Hey Jax, sorry if I offended your or anything. I didn't mean it that way and was just stating my own views. As I said I don't review anything because I know I'd do terrible at it. Also as I said, I too think it's bad to flame people who actually have the will to improve. The problem is that so many people, like Nick on that forum, don't have that will to improve. No matter what you say, they won't change. That's what I mean about n00bs being rocks and all, they're just so stubborn on thinking that they are some fanfiction God that they won't listen to any criticism no matter rather it's given reasonably or as a flame.

And for your information, yes, I have had the displeasure of getting into arguments with n00bs many times. On different subjects though.

I'm saying that if you piss someone off, they're less likely to do what you want them to do.
I said that too, about newbs. For me the differentiation between newbs and n00bs is quite important. Newbs = beginning authors who lack skill but can improve in time. n00bs = any author at any stage of their writing who lacks skill and the will to improve as they think they are already good when they are in fact not.

I can tell this is something you feel strongly about and hope that you don't think less of me or anything now. Perhaps we should all just drop this?

And yes, I do write weird. I'm not so good at voicing my opinions. However, the thing is I'm very strongly opposed to n00bs. I call it n00bphobia. They tend to make me furious so that's probably why my post sounded so overbearingly against n00bs. To reiterate, I am not against newbs though, but I do have a tendency to label newbs as n00bs until they can prove otherwise.

...I really feel like this should be dropped now.

Blue Angel

Living for now
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 7, 2016
No one else wants to answer the other question?

Let's see if I can think of a new one...

How do you keep yourself motivated enough to write chapters of your Fan Fiction?

I don't. That's why I'm asking :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back